Pirates of the Caribbean: Spoilers Be Here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  00:38:21  Show Profile Send SweetPea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to make this thread so we can talk about POTC:DMC without having to worry about spoilers.

From Eeyore:

quote:
Beckett seals a letter, which we see up close. The next time we see something like that is when Elizabeth picks up a letter, with the red seal towards the audience, from the big chest on the beach. Is the letter from Beckett, and if so, why is it in Davy Jones's chest?

Beckett is constantly having the world map updated and mentions it at one point, as having all the edges filled in. A nice foreshadowing for the 3rd movie about the end of the world.

Beckett (he was full of interesting things that weren't ever explained) says, while looking at a branding iron with a "P" for "pirate" that he and Jack left their marks on one another. We know what mark Jack has--what's the mark that Beckett has from Jack?

And while we are on Beckett--why would he want the chest from Davy Jones anyway? And what will he do with the, um, package from Norrington? Does that all mean that Beckett, like Jack, owes some debt to Davy Jones?

Jack pilfers a ring when Tia is getting his jar of dirt. But also on the table there is a silver heart, very unusual, except that it exactly matches the one that is a music box that is with Davy Jones. Is she the one he fell in love with, or is it someone else, but Tia knows who she was, or has some sort of control over her.

And with Jack's last appearance in the film, is there more to the Kraken legend? I'm thinking of something about attacking the monster in the proper place. After all, Jack's hat was intact, just disgustingly slimey.

And then there was the dog in the easter egg. Are they leaving him there, or will they have to go back to that island for something. Didn't the dog have the prison keys when he jumped into the water?

They keep showing Beckett's chest too, and I think it's going to be significant.

There's talk of a 4th Pirates, which means that all's well with Jack?

When barbossa showed up at the end I was like OMG!!!!!! but I jokingly said to Joyful 2 seconds before that the stranger was Barbossa, it was too funny.

I was really upset at Elizabeth's costumes, I was hoping for her to kick butt in a dress. :(

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - SweetPea on 07/12/2006 00:45:54

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we could move all the PotC posts here? It would make things less confusing.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that would be a good idea. *looks wistfully at a mod to help*

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aarrgh! I missed the easter egg at the end, could someone fill me in please?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  20:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SweetPea

Yes, that would be a good idea. *looks wistfully at a mod to help*
Unfortunately there is only one way to move posts and that is copy and paste then delete-- or not. I know this really sucks, but it's snitz's fault. At least I can move a topic to a different forum category.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  21:00:19  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Elizabeth pretty much came off worst, judging by audience reaction. The kiss between her and Jack was not well received - a disgusted silence.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  00:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

Elizabeth pretty much came off worst, judging by audience reaction. The kiss between her and Jack was not well received - a disgusted silence.

Ooh yeah. Totally agree. I felt so bad for Will... and she should have guessed that he'd seen and has some major explaining to do!

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  00:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, when I saw it the first time, I gasped, and then wisper-shouted "You s--t!!!!" When I saw it again today, I was like "Yeah, it's still wrong, but it's Johnny Depp, so it's hot...."

quote:

Ooh yeah. Totally agree. I felt so bad for Will... and she should have guessed that he'd seen and has some major explaining to do!

She should have guess when she got in the boat. He always looks at her like a puppy but he had daggers in his eyes. But then when she's sad, he told her that if there was something he could do, etc.... Poor Will, it'll all make sense one day.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  09:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Wicked was not happy with Elizabeth either. I thought the kiss was just so that she could get him trapped on the boat, but Mr Wicked thinks she really has the hots for him, he said that when she was holding the compass (the second time, on the boat) it pointed right at Jack. I didn't catch that. I also think I missed some interaction between Jack and Elizabeth when I took my son to the rest room. So is this really supposed to be a love triangle? I thought she was so miserable at the end because she felt guilty for sacrificing Jack, not so much out of loss.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  10:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noooo, she has the hots for Jack. And who could blame her? But I feel sorry for Will. Orlando Bloom in sympathetic character shocker - never would've thunk it (I generally find him utterly vapid and charisma-free, but he wasn't that bad in this film).

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  18:08:00  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I kinda lost who Elizabeth wanted to shag (putting it nicely). I didn't understand why she suddenly had the hots for Jack when there'd been no chemistry between them before and she had not really shown an inclination to have anyone but Will. She wanted to marry the guy, so why suddenly become so jack!curious? (Other than KK wanted to have a scene in which she kissed JD and pressured the writers?)

Also, they replaced one of my favourite lines from the trailer in the movie. When they're escaping the cannibal island, Will sees Jack being chased and says in a kinda stunned way, "Time to go." In the trailer it was a much more offhand, "Never mind! Let's go!" Sure, it doesn't quite make sense in the context of the film, but surely they could have kept my favourite line and fixed it up in the next scene - have Will help Jack up onto the ship, happy to see he made it.
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  03:54:22  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
But there's always been chemistry between them. It's just that before this, Elizabeth was still too proper to acknowledge it. It's all through this movie, from the little exchange when she shows up and Jack says that she should be wearing a dress or nothing--"and I happen to have no dress in my quarters", or something to that effect. Then he says to hide the rum--a reference to the time they spent on that island, part of which was a deleted scene from the first movie.

But in this one, they also have that nose to nose conversation early on where she tells him moments come along when he could do the right thing and he says he loves to wave at them as they go by. There's a lot of flirting going on between the two of them all through this movie.

But at the end, Jack came back of his own accord, whether it was for Elizabeth or not, it doesn't matter, but Elizabeth knew it, and then didn't trust him to do the right thing, so she betrayed him with that kiss--and ultimately, I think it was more about her wanting to save all of them from the monster. She told Jack--it wants you, not us, but she doesn't give him the chance to make the choice to stay on the ship alone, drawing the Kraken away from all the rest of them.

When they are back at Tia's, I think Eilzabeth is finally feeling the guilt of what she did (betrayal), even more than feeling sad that Jack is dead (or so she thinks). Will was the noble one throughout--willing to sacrifice all to save his father and all the rest of them. He trusted Elizabeth and Jack, and has now lost them both--or at least that's the implication of what he thinks when he sees that kiss. Besides, nice girls didn't kiss that way back then, and she certainly hadn't kissed Will like she kissed Jack. I think the reason people were disgusted by the kiss had more to do with her betrayal of a friend.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  03:56:27  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wicked

aarrgh! I missed the easter egg at the end, could someone fill me in please?

It's very short. The credits finally end, and we see the natives from the first part of the film dancing around. The dog, looking very content, is sitting in the big wicker chair with a huge bone in his mouth--and that's it.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  03:39:50  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, I saw all those things and understand what they were supposed to do, but guess it just didn't work for me as it did for you. I believed that since she was desperate the marry Will (although why she was standing out in the rain in her wedding dress is unclear to me) then it would count for something. I would have expected more... heat... between them, with words unspoken and illogical reasons for her to keep going back to him rather than the purely businesslike arrangement it started off as (at the "dress or nothing" scene).

Then she said that she thought she'd be married now. What marriage has to do with her sudden sexual desire for Jack I just didn't understand. If it was a hint, I didn't get a sense of them dancing around what they both really wanted.

I guess I should see both the deleted scenes of the first and rewatch the second.
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  22:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SweetPea
From Eeyore:

quote:
And while we are on Beckett--why would he want the chest from Davy Jones anyway? And what will he do with the, um, package from Norrington? Does that all mean that Beckett, like Jack, owes some debt to Davy Jones?

Jack pilfers a ring when Tia is getting his jar of dirt. But also on the table there is a silver heart, very unusual, except that it exactly matches the one that is a music box that is with Davy Jones. Is she the one he fell in love with, or is it someone else, but Tia knows who she was, or has some sort of control over her.

I think Bekett wants the heart to 'control the seas'. Is'nt that what they said in the movie?

I'd thought Jack knicked the heart from Tia also..not just the ring. Plus I'm sure I've seen him wearing it in a promo photo. My daughter also thought Tia might have been the girl who hurt Jones. But I don't think it was her. I think the DJ legend is supposed to be older then her. Although...I suppose she could be some sort of immortal. But I saw her role as more of a seer. And also one who knows magical artifacts when she sees them..and that's how they end up in her possession. Tia was cool. I loved how her mouth was all black an ookie.

I can't figure out what was with the kiss either. Girls..we're so evil ..poor boys don't stand a chance. I'm not sure if it's just meant to add tension to drag out the Will/Elizabeth romance. Or..does she really feel something for Jack? Or...do Jack and Will both love her now?..but she still only loves Will......meh..who knows.

The next movie is supposed to have Asian s in it. That should be waysome awesome.

Look...I used the symbol first on here...so...I win!..
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  22:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh..and the dog with the keys...I think that wasjust inside jokes referencing the PotC ride. When they stopped in that one port there were reference scenes to the ride there also.
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  23:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Tortuga is taken right out of the ride, the guy in the well and everything. There's talk of Disney re-vamping the ride to make it like the movie.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  10:25:38  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They've already done that. Jack has been added in several places, as well as Tia and Captain Barbosa. The one pic I saw that I could identify was of Jack coming out of the barrel--a a long time ago it was a woman coming out of the barrel, then when they tried to make the ride politically correct, it was a cat coming out of the barrel, but now it's a confused looking Jack, which left Johnny Depp remarking on how much it looked like Jack. Somewhere there is a photo of Johnny Depp standing next to the Jack in the barrel--it's eerie that it looks so much like him.

And I think that Barbosa is now on the ship where the fighting is. Oh, and in one of the treasure rooms, Jack in sitting in a big chair that was empty before. It looks really cool.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  02:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...you can see the new updates on YouTube at this link-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQ5eWBlApY

And I took this picture of the new updated map outside the ride ealier this summer-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/TsukiKeta/PoCMap.jpg

Plus they have some of the one amniatronic and other piate gear in the main entrance of the big Disney store in Downtown Disney.

At first it weirded me out a bit that they were adding in the parts. Now I'm ok with the idea. Plus i'm sure having the ride off-line gave them a chance to spruce it up. hey really need to take the Haunted Mansion ride off-line for a revamp too. I love that ride..but parts of it are looking a little shoddy.

Hide the rum...
*snorts*

We use that line at least a few times a week
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.