Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and Harry's dogged determination to ignore all other possibilities is reinforced by their determination to make him see them.

Other than that aspect of HBP, it is rather an enjoyable read. I can't explain it, really. Perhaps it's just that I'm so happy to have finished OotP. If that were the case though, by the time I get nearly done with HBP I should be dreading DH. We shall see.

Oh, just remembered something! In the House of Gaunt chapter, where we visit the memory of the ministry official who has to call on the Gaunt clan, Marvolo rages on about his family heirlooms. He says the ring has the Peverell family coat of arms on it. HBP contains the first mention of anything to do with the Elder Wand story line.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  16:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the most part I enjoyed HBP as well; it is far superior to OotP. But it still doesn't feel like the first books. Harry's obsession with first Draco's and eventually Snape's supposed skullduggery grated and I found the other characters to be a bit off too. Ron calling Ginny a slut was really over the top, IMO, and whatever happened to our ethical Hermione. Her interference in the Quidditch tryouts seemed OOC. Of course that was before we learned that the hex she put on Marietta in OotP was permanent, so I guess we got a new, more vindictive Hermione starting then.

As for mention of the DHs, we actually get our very first reference in PS when Harry receives his dad's old cloak from DD. The problem with both the invisibility cloak and Marvolo's ring is that there is never a hint that either of these is a DH until DH, so I would still argue that the Elder Wand storyline comes out of nowhere in the last book.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 08/04/2010 16:26:20
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  15:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't noticed ooc behaviour so far in my reading. Ron has always been a bit of a prude, so his attitude toward Ginny (especially later) is not too surprising. As for vindictive Hermione, she wasn't too sweet about the Yule Ball. Ron deserved it, but all the same, part of the charm of Viktor was his being a poke in the eye to Ron-- just as McLaggen was later.

The cloak definitely plays an important part from PS on. However, there's no indication that it is at all unusual-- even for an Invisibility Cloak. All that PS says about the cloak is that it was James'. There's no other mention of its origins, or powers. Whereas, the ring is specifically tied to the Peverell family, and thus the legend of the DH's. There's no reason for Gaunt to point out the particular family crest. It could just as easily have been Slytherin's. But he makes a big deal about the Peverells something only necessary to the DH plotline. So yeah, we could say that JKR had the DH's in mind from the beginning, but there's no solid evidence of that until HBP. She really should have made some reference to the DH's earlier-- even if it was just something that Hermione read in the library, or Neville/Luna said in passing. The ground work just isn't there for the whole thing. By HBP she knew it was coming, but we have no indication of it earlier.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  08:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished off HBP last night and made a start on DH. Had to stop before Hedwig was killed. Just couldn't take another death so soon.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  09:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DH is going surprisingly well, so far. I was looking for ooc behaviour, but so far have encountered none that wasn't explained. Ron's sudden maturity around Hermione was odd until he gave Harry his birthday present. Hermione's oversensitivity was explained by the lengths she went to to protect her family. And, of course there's also the fact that there's been only a month's book time elapsed between HBP and DH. The transition works fairly well.

Still hate Hedwig's death. Still not at all surprised by Moody's.
Lupin's offer to accompany the trio ticked me off this time through. I felt a bit like Harry.

Did we ever come to a conclusion about Ted Tonks? I thought he was a muggle, not muggle-born.
Edit: Just looked it up in my Canadian OotP. Sirius says Ted Tonks was muggle-born.

Why stay in a house that is unsafe for the entire month of August? Not only did Lupin come calling, but the place was being watched by DEs. I understand they were casing out the Ministry, but it still seems to be a big chance to take-- even worse once the Ministry fell.

The whole camping thing really irks me. Not that it happened-- I expected Harry to be on the run at some time, but drags on forever and it sounds so familiar. Especially the affect the locket horcrux has. So Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol are destroying a locket now?

Highlight of the camping business is the Silver Doe. I really love that chapter. Predictable, eh?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  11:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished. Disappointing still, but not nearly as bad as it was initially.

Rats. I had a whole post written, and I deleted it accidentally. I will attempt to reconstruct it in brief.

What bothers me about DH.
  • Pacing is off. In DH slow = boring for us and the characters.
  • Deathly Hallows should have been planted earlier in the series than HBP.
  • Snape's death is so anticlimatic that it diminishes his accomplishments.
  • Adult characters are insubstantial.
  • The Invisibility Cloak can deflect spells, but not Petrificus Totalus?-- I have to look into that one. It might just be spells that are intended to reveal the person.
  • Overuse of Polyjuice Potion
  • Flagrant use of the Unforgiveables. Perhaps because the Ministry no longer enforced the law, it was not illegal, but it was still wrong to Imperius the goblin at Gringots and definitely wrong to Crucio Amycus-- no matter how nasty he was. I think the only use for those curses that could be defended would be in life or death situations.

Much as JKR claims to know Snape very well, I think she misunderstands him and does him injustice. By repeatedly using the word "greedy" to describe his look at Lily, she makes his feelings take and unnatural turn which is not upheld by the fact that his patronus remains Lily right up to his death. That speaks of a deep devotion not an obsession-- as does his years of work to protect her son whom he cannot see without thinking of the father. Harry was right to think of himself, Snape, and Riddle as the three unwanted boys who found a home in Hogwarts. There are more similarities between Harry and Severus than I think even JKR wants to admit simply because it is easier to focus on the unpleasant in Snape.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  01:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I take off for a few days and look at all you accomplish!

First let me start with a few last comments on HBP. Regarding Ron and Hermioneís OOC-ness, maybe itís because we have never heard all those cuss words Hermione admonishes him for throughout the books, but calling his sister a slut really shocked me. I know heís a prude; I have no problem with him being upset. If heíd gone after one of the boys and punched him in the nose for kissing Ginny, I wouldnít be surprised. But calling Ginny a slut shows a meanness Iíd never associated with Ron. Likewise with Hermione, I donít have a problem with her trying to make Ron jealous, but rigging the tryouts so heíll win on spot on the team and disfiguring Marrietta for life are wrong and donít seem like the sorts of things she would do.

I agree there is no setup for the DH plotline. JKR definitely should have made some reference to the DH's earlier, in particular the Elder Wand. There is no plausible way that Harry could have lived for six years in the wizarding world and never have heard that wands switch allegiance when wizards duel. No. Way. Snape would have become the master of Lockhartís wand in CoS, followed by Harry himself who also disarmed the man. Itís inconceivable that neither Ron nor Hermione mentioned this, or indeed anyone else as much dueling as Harry and his friends have done.

As for DH, I donít think the characters were ever OOC. The writing was just bad. Do you know I giggled when Hedwig died? Well, for a moment I felt bad, but that was immediately replaced by, ďAha, so thatís why JKR had Harry make the ridiculously unbelievable decision to bring Hedwigís cage with him.Ē At which point I giggled one of those embarrassed giggles that slip out when you are trying not to cringe at something remarkably stupid or inappropriate someone else has done.

I wasnít surprised by Moody's death either and it was a good death, one that fit Alastair. Lupin's offer to accompany the trio on the other hand was utterly unnecessary and served no purpose but to soil Remusís character.

The stay at 12GP was completely stupid. It isnít as though they could watch the Ministry from the house, so why stay there? These people can apparate and it's as easy to apparate from the Forest of Dean as from 12GP. On top of that the business with the Fidelus Charm made me scream. It was a huge plot hole and made no sense at all. Arrrrrg!!

The camping trip did go on forever and yes, it was far too reminiscent of LOTR. I loved the Silver Doe, but hated how utterly incompetent Harry was when trying to retrieve the sword. Just pathetic.

I agree with all of the things that bother you about DH. In addition, here are more things that bothered me.

ē DD all but paints a target on Snapeís back with an engraved invitation for LV to kill him.
ē Never mind Snapeís death, his LIFE was a waste in DH. He was completely under-utilized.
ē Gaping plot holes and glaring errors in logic (See Fidelus Charm)
ē Obvious, clumsy plot manipulation (See Hedwig)
ē Obvious, clumsy acts of god (See Griffhook and co just happening to pitch camp next to Harryís invisible, warded campsite and discuss exactly what Harry wanted to overhear)
ē Siriusís Mirror
ē Ronís Parseltongue
ē Hermioneís little, beaded bag (why didnít she ever charm her book bag at Hogwarts?)

quote:
Much as JKR claims to know Snape very well, I think she misunderstands him and does him injustice. By repeatedly using the word "greedy" to describe his look at Lily, she makes his feelings take an unnatural turn which is not upheld by the fact that his patronus remains Lily right up to his death. That speaks of a deep devotion not an obsession -- as does his years of work to protect her son whom he cannot see without thinking of the father.
She certainly does him an injustice, but what is truly maddening is that she is fighting her own description of the man. She is the one who made him the archetypal, romantic anti-hero he became. And she is consistent to the end. Snape, who could easily have given himself over to LV after DDís death remains true to the Light, to DD and to Lily until the very end. He never once wavers. To portray such a man as unwholesomely obsessed (starting at 9 years old, no less) doesnít fit and seems like nothing more than petty spite.

quote:
Harry was right to think of himself, Snape, and Riddle as the three unwanted boys who found a home in Hogwarts. There are more similarities between Harry and Severus than I think even JKR wants to admitÖ
And it is tragic that we only get a fleeting few lines referring to the similarities between these three. This, for me, has long been the cornerstone of HP. Three boys from such similar backgrounds: one chose hatred and vengeance and was lost to the Dark path; one chose love and forgiveness and stayed firmly on the Light. The middle boy, torn by both love and hate was likewise drawn to the Dark path by vengeance, but ultimately returned to the Light because love and remorse proved stronger than hate. This was the great story HP was designed to tell, but to which DH gave only a passing nod. Such a terrible waste.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 08/10/2010 01:14:42
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  09:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again Theowyn, you have summed it up quite well.

quote:
so thatís why JKR had Harry make the ridiculously unbelievable decision to bring Hedwigís cage with him
Yes. I also must admit thinking that was incredibly stupid. Why not just let her fly to the Burrow earlier to wait for him to arrive-- or have someone transfigure her cage. This is the magical world afterall, someone should have been thinking. Also I don't remember any of the other Harry's managing an owl. Wouldn't that be a better giveaway than the use of Expelliarmus?

If the cloak deflects spells meant only to reveal the wearer, why was Mad-Eye/Crouch able to see through it with his eye?

I think Hermione's bag was explainable. She herself said it was a tricky bit of magic and that she thought she'd got it right. It sounded like something she looked for as a necessity for their journey, but hadn't really considered before. Certainly, if I'd had her course load, I'd have looked for someway of lessening the bulk of my book bag, but I'm not sure she would have. She was very proud of her scholarship.

Re Snape:
I know JKR based some of her characters on real people. If she knew anyone like Snape and disliked them, do you think that prejudice bled through to her character? It's obvious from how she handles him in the books and her comments later that she hates Snape. It would seem she hates him to the point of not realizing the depth of the character she created. I don't understand her treatment of him any more than I understand readers who villify him. He isn't a nice/pleasant guy, but that isn't necessary to doing what is right or attempting to rectify a wrong. And it isn't necessary to like him to admit that he did something incredibly brave, even Harry recognized that. I don't hear anyone grinching about nasty Narcissa. In fact the tide turned on that when she went to Snape to save Draco. Dd said it was all down to the choices we make that show who we truly are. From the time Snape turned spy, he made the right choices. Why can't he be given credit for that?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  13:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Once again Theowyn, you have summed it up quite well.

quote:
so thatís why JKR had Harry make the ridiculously unbelievable decision to bring Hedwigís cage with him
Yes. I also must admit thinking that was incredibly stupid. Why not just let her fly to the Burrow earlier to wait for him to arrive-- or have someone transfigure her cage. This is the magical world afterall, someone should have been thinking. Also I don't remember any of the other Harry's managing an owl. Wouldn't that be a better giveaway than the use of Expelliarmus?
I agree completely. This is especially glaring since JKR goes out of her way to show us that Harry is traveling light because he's on the run. He's only taking the bare essentials and yet he's going to drag a birdcage with him? Honestly, I can't help but laugh every time I think of this scene. Harry had no way of knowing that Hagrid was going to bring the Motorcycle with him. By rights, he should have been on a broom like everyone else. Can you picture that? Harry on a broom with his wand in one hand and Hedwig squawking in her cage in the other while trying to fight DEs? It's hilariously absurd. It would simply never work. This scene was clear plot manipulation on JKR's part and had no relationship to what would actually be reasonable in reality.

quote:
If the cloak deflects spells meant only to reveal the wearer, why was Mad-Eye/Crouch able to see through it with his eye?
Don't even try to make this make sense. It's hopeless. The cloak Harry received in PS and used throughout the first six books bears no resemblance to the one in DH. Like the Fidelus Charm, JKR has simply reinvented it to suit her needs with no regard to its conflicting properties. I'm not sure if that's because she didn't have the Hallows plot fleshed out when she started the series or because she just isn't particularly logical and didn't realize that the two versions of the cloak aren't compatible. Probably a bit of both.

quote:
I think Hermione's bag was explainable. She herself said it was a tricky bit of magic and that she thought she'd got it right. It sounded like something she looked for as a necessity for their journey, but hadn't really considered before. Certainly, if I'd had her course load, I'd have looked for someway of lessening the bulk of my book bag, but I'm not sure she would have. She was very proud of her scholarship.
The bag is certainly explainable; I don't consider it a plot hole. It annoys me because it is too convenient. Hermione takes care of everything in DH from summoning the books on Horcruxes from the headmaster's office (there are obviously no wards to prevent such things ) right up to providing every necessity or convenience including (literally) the kitchen sink! The reason the characters sit around doing nothing is because Hermione has left them no practical challenges.

Frankly, the whole camping business was a bad idea. Harry and company have enough friends (and in Ron's case relatives) that they should have been able to move from safe-house to safe-house indefinitely. We could have met up with old schoolmates as well as new characters which could have been a source of endless entertainment. I'm certain Viktor Krum would have been happy to welcome the trio and Ron could have gotten to be jealous of a true rival instead of Harry. The plot could have been so rich, incorporating past characters and experiences. It's such a shame we got the neverending camping trip instead.

quote:
Re Snape:
I know JKR based some of her characters on real people. If she knew anyone like Snape and disliked them, do you think that prejudice bled through to her character? It's obvious from how she handles him in the books and her comments later that she hates Snape. It would seem she hates him to the point of not realizing the depth of the character she created. I don't understand her treatment of him any more than I understand readers who villify him. He isn't a nice/pleasant guy, but that isn't necessary to doing what is right or attempting to rectify a wrong. And it isn't necessary to like him to admit that he did something incredibly brave, even Harry recognized that. I don't hear anyone grinching about nasty Narcissa. In fact the tide turned on that when she went to Snape to save Draco. Dd said it was all down to the choices we make that show who we truly are. From the time Snape turned spy, he made the right choices. Why can't he be given credit for that?
I don't know if JKR ever knew a Snape, but the unforgivable sin, for both her and the fans who despise him, seems to be making Harry's life miserable. The Malfoys might have been nasty supporters of LV, but the senior Malfoys only had a few opportunities to behave badly towards Harry and these were superficial. Draco was always causing trouble for Harry, but they were equals and Harry always wound up getting the best of him in the end, so there was no need to hate the boy, especially after HBP and DH. Even LV doesn't inspire much hatred because aside from killing people Harry loved and sending him some nasty nightmares, he didn't really do much to the boy and Harry wound up trouncing him.

But Snape? He was the bane of Harry's existence. He was utterly unfair to the boy, humiliated him and taunted him at every turn, tried to get him expelled, provoked him just to be able to give him detention when Harry exploded. And here's the key: Harry couldn't get even. He was impotent to fight back and Snape knew it and smirked in satisfaction at Harry's helpless rage. This is what some people, including JKR, can't forgive. Snape could have won the war single-handedly, offed LV himself and even jumped in front of Harry to take a killing curse for the boy and he would STILL be villified because Harry never got to hurt his feelings as much as he hurt Harry's.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 08/10/2010 13:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found on accio quotes that JKR based Snape partly on a teacher she had when she was 9.

Yeah, so Harry never got even. Life is like that sometimes. He did eventually learn to let it go (his arrival at Hogwarts in HBP where he didn't rise to Snape's goading)-- which is more than can be said of Snape and which is precisely why Harry was his favorite target. Snape's pride and insecurities were under seige for 7 years, if we are to believe the scenes from the pensieve. He had plenty of opportunities for vengeance and probably held his own, but after Lily "defected" the inequality was permanent. Nothing he could do would hurt James the way he'd been hurt.
Note that I'm not saying he is blameless for her breaking off the friendship. I think he always believed he'd be able to make it up to her and that she might forgive him (though how he could have deluded himself that that would have happened after Voldemort's unannounced visit at Godric's Hollow, I don't know). Snape blamed James for what he (Snape) said and for Lily's subsequent estrangement. He never really accepted the blame, though I think he knew it was there.
So he saw what he expected to see in James's son (as Dd put it), and found it all too easy to take advantage of having the upper hand and enjoy it, forgetting conveniently that Harry had never had any contact with his father to pick up his attitudes or behaviors. He was a nasty piece of work who should never have been teaching young students. But that doesn't mean that every aspect of his existence should then be under attack. In the end he proved his worth, his devotion, and his bravery and he should be given credit for that.

Why should it be a horrible thought, Snape in love? Why should he be denied feelings? Even he never did that. He told Harry that people who wear their hearts on their sleeves are easy prey of the Dark Lord. That sounds like a person who has more than a few deep feelings that he's had to compact and hide, not like someone devoid of them. More and more it appears to me that JKR was unwilling to understand a complex and unpleasant person, simply out of her own prejudice. In the end, she treated Snape as badly as he treated Harry.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  13:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

More and more it appears to me that JKR was unwilling to understand a complex and unpleasant person, simply out of her own prejudice. In the end, she treated Snape as badly as he treated Harry.
Bingo! She did indeed. Every character an author writes must live within them and JKR was at her Snapely worst when dealing with Snape. So are the fans who despise him and what's interesting is that none of them realize they are behaving exactly like the man they hate.

I agree that Snape had very deep feelings. In fact he was a passionate man - or would have been if he'd been allowed to loose his emotions form the dungeon in which he kept them locked away. He couldn't and not just because he was a spy. Like Harry, I'm sure he learned at an early age to be wary of being too open and trusting with his feelings, but it was those seven years when, as you say, his pride and insecurities were under siege that really did him in. It's hard to be carefree and open when you're liable to be humiliated at any moment.

This is also why I donít believe for an instant that Snape ever gave as good as he got in his endless feud with the Marauders. Iíll leave aside the fact that we donít have a shred of evidence to show that Snape ever engineered a successful attack on his enemies. Sirius tells us he was always sneaking around, spying on them and trying to get them expelled Ė something he obviously never succeeded at. Beyond that itís really hard to imagine Snape getting together a few of his fellow Slytherins to go ambush James and company. Snape was the quintessential loner. And thatís really the bigger issue here Ė personality.

Letís say Severus and Jamesís roles had been reversed that day out by the lake and that somehow Sirius, Remus and Peter hadnít been around to quickly put an end to it. Do you suppose James would have been sputtering and swearing? Not likely. His underwear was undoubtedly snowy white and of the finest quality, and you can bet that as he hung upside down with his robes falling over his head, he would have taunted Severus. ďCongratulations, Snivellus. Youíve finally learnt this spell. Maybe youíll only get a Dreadful on your Defense OWL instead of a Troll.Ē

And heaven help Severus if he threatened to take off Jamesís underwear. ďWhoa, Snivellus, I didnít know you liked that sort of thing; or is it only because no girl will look at you twice. Not that I think any fellow would either. Gather round ladies, you donít want to miss seeing the Potter family jewels. Thereís a reason weíre known for being wealthy.Ē

Snape still would have ended up being the one humiliated that day while everyone laughed admiringly over Jamesís antics. The worst inequity between James and Severus wasnít the four-one odds, but the fact that Severus was plagued by insecurity while James had self-confidence bordering on arrogance.

The question of Lily is an interesting one and it's another reason I don't think JKR saw Snape clearly. She said that Lily could have loved Severus if he hadn't become a DE and yet I just can't see it. Even if there had been no Voldemort, a girl who could fall in love with James Potter is not a girl who would ever fall in love with Severus Snape. The boys were as different as night and day.

I donít agree that Snape always believed he'd be able to make it up to Lily and that she might forgive him. He probably thought so for a while, but once she started dating James and continued to studiously ignore him, I think he got the message. Certainly once she and James were married, he did.

Iím sure Snape blamed James for the debacle during SWM and certainly for stealing Lily from him; thatís perfectly natural for a teenager. But once the Prophecy came into play, all of that was superseded. Snapeís guilt over causing Lilyís death was bottomless and his hatred of James for stealing Lily from him took on a whole new dimension. Had Lily not married James, she wouldnít have died. Even if she had married James, if James hadnít been such an arrogant arse, she still could have survived. It was Jamesís fault for not letting DD be their secret keeper; his fault for blindly trusting the wrong person. He put his loyalty to his idiot friends above the safety of his wife Ė an unforgivable sin. Snapeís bitter comment to Harry in PoA, ďYou would have died like your father, too arrogant to think you could be mistaken in BlackĒ shows us the darkest well of Snapeís hatred for James.

Snape was definitely a nasty piece of work who absolutely should never have been teaching young students. But the reason for his nastiness is one to be pitied, not scorned. I canít imagine that any man in Snapeís position could have looked at Harry without feeling blind rage and hatred. Itís frankly remarkable that Snape managed to treat Harry as well as he did.

And of course Snape was much more than a miserable teacher with a vendetta against Harry. He did prove his worth, his devotion and his bravery and should certainly be given credit for that. The problem is that some people canít see that. They are too black and white in their outlook, or too hard-hearted and stingy with their forgiveness, or just incapable of understanding Snapeís feelings. I think JKR must fall into this last group which is why I donít think she can genuinely understand the man.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 08/12/2010 14:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  21:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daughter has begun the series. Each book first, followed by the movie. She's just finished PoA. We're watching the DVD now. I'm really enjoying this one.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  21:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought she had read them by now. Please let us know what her thoughts are regarding each book and movie.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  08:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no. She has resisted, holding out in hopes that I would read them to her again. Last time we got at far as page 43 of PoA before getting derailed. I just finished re-reading the whole series for myself and was not about to start all over again-- not when I have piles of books awaiting my attention (I'm reading Drood right now).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  15:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a week of milestones for me. Tuesday my daughter started high school and yesterday we took my younger son off to his freshman year of college at Chico State. I now need a week's vacation to recover from all the rushing around, buying last minute supplies and packing.

Nice to know your daughter is reading HP, Siobhan. How old is she now?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  00:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
13-- it's about time she started it. I think the sheer size of the last four books was a little intimidating until she read the Twilight series and discovered that a story that pulls you in makes up for the heft. Jane Eyre may be next after HP. Perhaps P&P after that. We're reading The Good Earth in school right now. I've been looking over the lit list for the school year and finding it somewhat lacking. What is there is good and worthwhile, but none of the classics of English literature. And now that I think of it, I read those classics on my own. So, it looks like I will be trying to improve the curriculum. I'm pleased there are so many study guides available on the internet. Makes assembling a lesson plan a little easier.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  13:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new look is meant as an homage to Ravenclaw. Is it OK? Thought it might be nice to have a change till the movie comes out in November.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  16:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ok with me. I am looking forward to the new movie coming out!
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  14:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the blue! It's beautiful.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the movie. Shall we start a countdown?

43 Days til DH Part 1

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 10/07/2010 14:24:00
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  12:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
42 Days till DH Part 1

I'm looking forward to it, and am hoping to be pleasantly surprised. OotP was my least favourite of the books but they managed to pull a decent movie out of it with pruning and slight changes. So perhaps there is hope for my second least favourite of the series. The necessity for two movies seems dubious to me, but we shall see.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  06:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the blue!

It was my 26th birthday yesterday and I had a really nice day. I went for after-work drinks with some of my colleagues and then my boyfriend cooked me dinner. Having a girly night out tonight.

Really looking forward to DH! I wasn't fussed on the movies until after the book series finished, but I think I'm all caught up now, apart from OotP - haven't seen that one yet.

41 days!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  14:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
40 Days till DH Part 1

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  16:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy belated b-day, Bee! Sounds like you had a lovely time.

39 Days till DH Part 1

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  17:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
38 Days till DH Part 1

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  11:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
36 Days till DH Part 1

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  08:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
35 Days till DH Part 1

Daughter is trying to finish off the series before the movie comes out. I don't know if she'll make it. She didn't like Harry's attitude in OotP any more than I (or Husband) did. Sirius' demise caused a little consternation. She felt like it was too ambiguous. The curtain was never explained. She thought that he'd just come back, perhaps later in the series. I remember JKR having to confirm that Sirius was really dead. That points to lack of clarity. So far HBP is going well. Daughter doesn't like Slughorn much. The whole idea of collecting connections bothers her. Heaven help her! She lives in Charleston, SC, one of the most connection conscious places in the US.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  08:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
31 Days till DH Part 1

Only a month to go!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  12:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I'll be cheering your daughter on in her race to finish the series before the movie comes out. It does help the motivation to have a deadline.

Harry was a berk in OotP, no question about that and the problem with Sirius's death is that you have to have a certain level of literary sophistocation to get it. For anyone who knows that 'the veil' is synonomous with death, the symbolism is obvious and the meaning of Sirius's fall through the veil is unmistakable. But not a lot of kids (or even adults) know this, which is why there's confusion.

Glad HBP is going well. I'm not a big fan of Slughorn either, but I wonder if your daughter's aversion to collecting connections is more to do with Slughorn's oportunistic and insincere way of going about it. Networking, as we call it in California, is no bad thing as long as it's done with an aim towards learning, camaraderie and mutual benefit for all.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  18:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that's her problem with Slughorn. She's not much on the self aggrandising aspect. The importance of connections generally is not lost on her though-- Charleston is a small city where connections are very important. Reputation still counts here.

I think if I'd gone over the spiritualist movement at some point-- say in reference to Arthur Conan Doyle, or Houdini then perhaps the "beyond the veil" would have made sense to Daughter-- at least an idiomatic connection would have helped make that fall into place, but honestly she really didn't want Sirius to be dead (any more than Harry did), so disbelief comes naturally, too.

I think she'll finish HBP tonight or tomorrow. She was up to Felix Felicis when I checked with her yesterday and she's been reading all afternoon. Not long now.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  17:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's making brilliant progress! If she keeps going like this I don't doubt she'll finish the series before the movie is out.

30 Days till DH Part 1

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 10/20/2010 17:58:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.