Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  17:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hip, Hip, Hooray for the test results!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  18:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Way to go Jo!!!!!!

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  18:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HA! We knew it was just nerves! Congratulations, Jo - get in there and interview anyway! They'll love you SO much that they'll save the next plum assignment for you. Well, maybe anyway. YAY!!!!! I'm very happy you did so well.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  08:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo that is such good news - we all knew you had it in you! We were confident of you passing well - you are too modest for your own good. Don't be afraid to blow your own trumpet a little - you have good sound qualifications and are dedicated to teaching - you are qualified for this job, and you would be great. If they don't seriously consider employing you then they are failing those kids - they shouldn't make a decision before they see the options. Go in there with your head held high and let them know that you are really serious about this job. I am sure the interview will go well

Well, I have missed the nasty illness, at least, the outward symptoms. I feel really tired and a bit odd, internally, but that is it. Obviously when under the weather the best thing to get you going on a saturday morning is....strip the kitchen wallpaper.

Actually it was quite fun and the plaster is in much better shape than we expected on the main wall. Looks as though water has come through from the bathroom above at some point in time, but that can be sorted out.

Is woodchip universal/internationally used? I hate the stuff. It is a thick two layer wallpaper, basically used if your walls are a bit dodgy to hide a multitude of sins. The lower layer has wood chips in it to strengthen it, and there there is another layer over that. It is bumpy and nasty and cheap-looking. It is also almost everywhere in our house. Having seen the plaster in the kitchen, I don't think it was actually necessary to put it up in there (surely you wouldn't unless you genuinely couldn't afford to fix your walls - I mean it wouldn't be a choice). So, the question is, what do we do with our walls now? We have tiles to remove and the kitchen cabinets (damp) to replace, but if anyone has or has had kitchens in the past and have any good advice about how to decorate your walls, then I'd appreciate your views

Just stopped to have a cup of tea. Mmmmmm

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  11:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, word to everything Newguise said. You would make an excellent teacher.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  12:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all the encouragement. I don't know what I want to teach anymore. Part of me loves the little ones, but another part would really love to teach one subject. Plus there is less pressure because kids aren't NCLB tested in Business like other subjects. At least I have the options now of doing different things.

quote:
they shouldn't make a decision before they see the option

Hehe, you don't know PA schools too much. If you're not a school board member's relative or friend then you have a hard time getting hired. School boards have final approval and can counteract any decision a superindendent or principal makes, and they often do in these small districts. Most of the time they know who they're hiring before the job's posted. And the hiring process alone is ridiculous. You go through 3 or 4 levels of interviews, then have to teach a lesson to the school board and have a panel interview with them (like a firing squad) before you get to a decision. I was shocked to learn that other states only have one or two interviews in their hiring process--alot less stressful and often more money.

Nuggy, I've never heard of woodchip before. The only woodchips I know are put on a playground and are little chips of wood, like mulch. Wallpaper is horrible to take off. When I was younger we redid the living room and took off about 15 layers of wallpaper and paint. We really need to go through and strip all the walls and lathe out of the house. The house is old and all original plaster walls/ceilings, which also means no insulation. Very cold in the Northern winters. When I get a good permanent job and have money I'm going to have the whole house striped and redone. It would be easier to tear down and rebuild, but the borough I live in doesn't allow new construction. So I'll have to go the renovation route. I guess I shouldn't complain too much about the condition of the house, since I'm getting it for nothing. My dad's eager to transfer it over, but I can't afford the taxes right now on a sub's pay. So it's still his for now.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/22/2006 12:13:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  13:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's getting so hard to tear down or change old houses these days. Do you think the people who built them had any idea? If they had realized that their buildings were expected to stand for 200 years, perhaps they'd have built them a little differently. I have mixed feelings on the issue ... I love history and adore old buildings, and agree that some of them should definintely be saved if it's at all practical. But then there are others that are not of particularly high quality, or style, or anything. They weren't built to be habitable (or even standing) 200 years later. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Oooh, I love to decorate! I like to see old walls done in a rustic colorwash or other paint treatment that makes the most of the imperfections. Plus, you can just paint over it when you're ready for a change. The trick is learning how to do it right ... the process can be rather nerve-wracking if you don't enjoy that type of thing. Good luck, Nuggy!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  13:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixie, I have one of the old houses that shouldn't be saved. It was built in the 1800s for the manager of a small coal mine. The house is just old, but I'm told the foundation and floorboards are in excellent condition. The problem is old wiring, old plumbing, old everything. These houses weren't even built for indoor plumbing, so our bathroom is a small one in the basement. I'd tear down and restart in a minute if I could. However, I do love old houses. They're my favorite. There are so many details not found today. Even though I have issues with my house, I love the old moldings. We have old fashioned 8" baseboards and extensive moldings everywhere. Even the door hinges have intricate patterns on them. My ideal home would be a new one with modern conviences (a bathroom not in the basement), but that looks 100 years old.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  15:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My house is at least 100 years old, and was originally just 4 rooms. They were known as '2 up, 2 downs', but a kitchen has been added on to the back, with a bathroom over it. The trouble is the damp-proof course, which doesn't appear to be up to the job. We will have to have one wall treated at the back, and we know some of our floor joists have suffered from damp. Having said that, they are only bits of wood, and paying for that and the work should not mount up too horrifically. Theoretically we could do it ourselves, but I think it might never happen if we decided to do that. We looked at new flats and then this old place, and this is so much better in every way. The rooms are bigger and the ceilings are higher. There is more space in old-builds and often bigger windows due to new regulations about energy efficiency. I love the old house, and most people in the U.K. would rather have an older property than a newer one. They are nicer places to live.

We priced a kitchen at IKEA. It came to 536 which is extremely cheap. It is a small kitchen, obviously, but to be able to gut and redo a space for that sort of sum of money is great really when you are just starting out.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  16:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our house is older too, but not nearly as old as old-- even for Charleston. There are places on the Penninsula that are old but not nearly as old as in England. It's all relative. Anyways, our house is a 1936 bungalow and until this year ditto on the old wiring, old plumbing, old windows, old paint (leaded of course). It takes time to fix those things (and did I mention money?) and we are getting around to it. The joys are higher ceilings, wood floors on wood underlayment, wood, wood, wood and plaster.

Nuggy, when you said woodchip I first thought wafferboard, but it sounded more like a wallpaper liner/texture thing. I've used the textured wallpaper (like Anaglypta) in my kitchen. Mine looks like pressed tin tile. It's paintable and since its a vinyl coated paper is pretty sturdy. The lower walls are Masonite that had been painted kind of a wainscot effect. They were smooth once, but after years of paint and wear and tear needed to be covered with something else. I think the Masonite was a stopgap. The walls throughout the house have "V" board over the studs and are covered with 1/4' of plasterboard. In the kitchen, though, the lower half of the walls is Masonite over the studs-- rather flimsy.

In Tacoma some [jerk] just buldozed a beautiful 1925 Tudor style mansion. It was a beautiful place. I've loved it since I was a kid. Now it's gone. The previous owners (who claimed to have been heartbroken by the demolition) did nothing to get the place on the local historical preservation list so now it's too late. So much for stewardship of important properties.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  19:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I feel your pain although I do have to smile when I realize how funny it must be to many folks that for us something built in 1925 is "historic".

Our house was built in 1940 and it's definitely not historic. It was originally a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom plus maid's room and bath - we think. Around 1950 the house was enlarged and the center bedroom made into a family room, a back master suite added on, the basement built out into a large "rumpus" room.. Then in the 1990s, the owners added onto the front to enlarge and remodel the kichen... it's hard to tell what was original and what's been messed with - no matter. It's a very nice house and we love it. But everything's a mish-mash: we have old wiring and new wiring, old windows and new windows, old floors and new floors! I love my old floors and old windows - the old wiring I could do without.

I like smooth, glossy painted kitchen walls because they wash well. Old wallpaper is hell to remove, new wallpaper is a breeze - both to remove and to install. I've wallpapered and painted dozens of rooms over time and it's all a matter of what you want where - sometimes a little pattern is nice, but a lot of people don't like wallpaper no matter what! Usually these are people who have stripped a lot of old wallpaper in their days....

In terms of what to do with your kitchen, Nuggy: my friends did an IKEA kitchen in their first home, it looked great. It's a fair amount to work to install, but the saving is worth it! I'd say IKEA styles usually go best with plain modern walls but that's just personal opinion.

Edited by - AMC on 07/22/2006 19:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  22:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're going with IKEA for the kitchen this fall. It's just so much more economical and for all the jokes about IKEA the durability of their merchandise is pretty high, at least in my experience. I also like their kitchen planner. You can input the dimensions of your room (be sure to have accurate measurements) and fit cabinets into the space. It will tally up all you need and print out so you can have it all organized when you get to the store.

Luckily we have an IKEA locally, but most of the US doesn't have access to one, unless you use the website which I've heard horror stories about. When I go I see license plates from everywhere from New York to Kentucky. I've also learned never go on a weekend. It's a madhouse.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:39:40  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a day late. Congratulations, Jo--and good luck with the interview.

Day camp is done. I think I'm too old to stay up all night anymore. That's how I felt from about 11:30 pm on Friday on. But Terry continued his tradition of bringing us a pizza at 10:30, which helped. Unfortunately, not enough for the whole camp, so we discretely share with the other adults and older teens until it's gone.

It was fun, except that Lucas drove us nuts. OK, so get this--the kid is ADHD (and was a ball of fire all week), then his mom brings him food for the overnight that is full of sugar. And he had those stupid energy drinks (they will be banned next year--about 6 of them. What was she thinking? She certainly won't be getting Mother of the Year for that bit of stupidity.

And I like the group of teens who all went piling into a tent. Luckily, another adult at the fire saw them and said--"Did I just see boys and girls going in that big tent down there?" So I went down to check and sure enough, they did. I reminded them that we had said no purple (boys are blue, girls are red--there will be no purple), and girls and boys couldn't even sit in the same tent. "Really? We were just talking." Erm, yeah. Well, I'm sure that was the intent, but we weren't giving them a chance to figure out something else to do. "Girls can be in here, or boys can be in here; if you want to talk to each other, you'll have to be outside."

There were a few problems during the week--there always are. A couple of these were bigger than usual, but the rest of the time was great--and better than usual. Except the heat on Friday. It was in the mid 90s, and a bit on the muggy side. It wasn't even cool enough for long sleeves until about 3 am. And then only because I was sick of the mosquitos who had taken a break because of the heat.

I slept part of the day yesterday, and now I'm just sore everywhere. Think I'll go have some tea and an English muffin on the back deck.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  10:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard horror stories about parents whose kids tested high on ADHD. Some are valid, but there are those who allow/give a child to have caffeine and sugar then get frustrated with the overabundance of energy blaming it all on attention def.

Sounds like camp went well. Hope you recover soon.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  18:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think both ADD and ADHD are way over diagnosed. Some kids are just naturally full of energy....I think it's the parents who don't want to deal with the kids. I have know people with both conditions and drugs and behavioral therapy have worked wonders. Energy drinks? Really? What was she thinking?

Rain! We finally got rain!!!! Now my grass will be green again! Unfortunately, that means I'll have to mow it, but at least it won't be crunchy when I walk on it.

I would sooooo love to tear down my house and start all over again. I live in my parents old house (which is 40-50 years old) and my father thought he was Bob Vila but was more like Tim from Home Improvement. So many things in this place are a mess. Example, when my parents installed a new furnace, he didn't have ducts go to the small bedroom on the second floor. So now in winter, there's no heat. We only use it as a computer room (it's barely bigger than a closet), but still. Our shower upstairs leaks, the windows are drafty and I have this huge picture window in my living room that makes it ungodly hot in the summer and freezing in winter.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  22:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! Can you get someone to come over and repair some of that stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  23:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

And I like the group of teens who all went piling into a tent. Luckily, another adult at the fire saw them and said--"Did I just see boys and girls going in that big tent down there?" So I went down to check and sure enough, they did. I reminded them that we had said no purple (boys are blue, girls are red--there will be no purple), and girls and boys couldn't even sit in the same tent. "Really? We were just talking." Erm, yeah. Well, I'm sure that was the intent, but we weren't giving them a chance to figure out something else to do. "Girls can be in here, or boys can be in here; if you want to talk to each other, you'll have to be outside."

Lol, no purple. Hmmm....just talking until they decide that there isn't enough room in the tent for everyone and they have to snuggle closer. Aren't teenagers wonderful!

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  18:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Yikes! Can you get someone to come over and repair some of that stuff?

Sure, as soon as I get the $$$$$.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  18:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a lot of mixed-sex get-togethers when I was in High School - they never turned into orgies. I mean, I understand that organized groups need rules and some of those rules are to protect the organizers but I think it's distinctly possible to have a group of teenaged girls and boys in a tent and just have them talk. Hell, bunches of us used to share hotel rooms overnight without things going beyond friendly. We were just as randy as the next bunch but we were also pretty responsible and group dynamics can actually make things "safer" - it's hard to get romantic when there are 12 other people listening in.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  19:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, AMC, but not impossible.

I had to get a new keyboard and mouse thanks to my cat pouring iced tea down into them yesterday. After cleaning it up I felt like one big sugar ball. It's feels weird to type on the new keyboard and will take some getting used to.

I had my interview this morning. I got interviewed by the Elementary and Middle School Principals. They're interviewing a total of 30 people narrowed down from the applications received. They'll narrow that down to between 3-6 people who will then have to teach a 25-30 minute lesson to the school board and interview with them. Then the school board will have ultimate decision on who is hired. It feels sort of like a beauty pageant where they have the top ten who then compete for the crown. Job searching is hell.

It's a 4th grade position. The interview went okay. Turns out one of the principals knew my family. Don't know if that's good or bad. They said they'd make a decision on who to send before the board next week. So we'll see what happens. The weird thing is that if I do get this job my mentor teacher will be a male. In the US 98% of elementary teachers are female, yet all my cooperating teachers were male and the principal is male. I've never had a female mentor teaching all during school. That's just odd.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/25/2006 19:30:46
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  21:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jo. I've been through a fair number of job interveiws, but nothing like that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Fourth grade is a very nice age, not quite pre-teen. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  02:21:35  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys - I'm back! I'm reading this on the lovely new screen the people at Apple installed on my laptop - apparently, if it hadn't been covered on warranty it would have cost upwards of $600. Happy, then.

Are you all good? Good. Haven't got loads of time to hang round and catch up as I have to get to work *yawn*. But I'll pop back soon.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  03:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf! At least grab a cuppa something to go. If you'll be working, you'll need to keep up your energy.

Good luck Jo! At least they're hiring teachers. We lose teaching jobs every year where I live.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  11:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're hiring only one teacher in this district. Pittsburgh City Schools are closing schools and reducing staff right and left. All of the Rust Belt has a declining population so there aren't many jobs of any kind. Because of the last census, we lost some of our seats in the House of Representatives. We also have the second oldest aging population in the U.S. outside of Florida. I know of so many people who have kids working in Virginia or North Carolina. It's hard for anyone to get a job of any kind in this area. I'd go to Virginia in a second, but I can't afford to live there on a one income teaching salary. Rent alone would take all of my pay. The depressing thing about PA is the fact that thousands send in applications for one job. This one I got interviewed for didn't publicize the opening so only a few hundred applied.

My dad's girlfriend thought I was exaggerating over the surplus of teachers in PA until she went to a party and was talking to a teacher from another district. This woman told her that she told her son that she'd pay for his college education as long as he did not go into teaching. He could do anything else he wanted, but not teach. If he decided on teaching, then he'd have to pay his own tuition. She said she wasn't going to spend 4 years of tuition money on a career there is no opportunity in or chance of employment.

I need to find a rich husband so I don't have to worry about job hunting.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/26/2006 11:17:24
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I had to get a new keyboard and mouse thanks to my cat pouring iced tea down into them yesterday.
Wow, your cat likes iced tea? Is it from the South?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  22:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it drinks it daily. My cat likes to tip over any glass he comes across. He doesn't bother cups, just tall glasses. Well, I had a glass of iced tea at the computer and I left my computer armoire open and had the glass sitting on top. He likes to lay up there and I forgot about the glass and went into the kitchen. So he gets up there and decided to tip it over and it splashed everywhere. My mouse quit working and most of the top row of letters on my keyboard. It's hard to type when you're missing an "e" and "t".

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  22:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he was just taking out the mouse.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

It's hard to type when you're missing an "e" and "t".

I'm sur you could hav managd i jo, if you jus rid hard nough.

Okay, maybe not. I tried typing that line without the whole top row and it came out: 'm s cld hav managd j, f js d had ngh.

I guess I use the top row of the keyboard more than I thought!

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  04:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks :)

Another hot week here, and the promised thunderstorms have failed to materialise.

I bought a really big ladder! I also have nowhere to keep it except the back bedroom, where it virtually rests against the ceiling, but now all I need are paintbrushes and paint, and then maybe we will have lift off.

I also have to do boring things like wash clothes a lot and buy food. (Arse - I am just not really domestic) I forgot to do this last weekend in the excitement of ripping down kitchen wallpaper, so ate junk all week because my fridge was empty. Obviously I could have gone and bought stuff, but it was too hot! So I'm feeling a bit rubbish. I seem to be quite affected by eating badly, which is a bit of a pain really.

My sister is home this weekend (she lives in London) and she is coming to see my house. Which means I ought to clean a bit but....

Other Half has found a computer parts catalogue and is making slightly pornographic noises.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  08:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds a bit like my house-- right down to the noises. Husband gets catalogues of add-ons for his PT Cruiser and does the same thing. He used to get computer parts catalogues, but went to buying on-line or locally. Since he fixes computers as part of his work, it's not as thrilling to look at memory or external hard drives, etc.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.