Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  07:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, hope you're all well! I've had a busy couple of months - got offered a better job than the one I had, so I handed in my notice. Just finished yesterday and was so sad to leave! I really loved my job once I settled in, and I feel like I was just starting to get places. Oh well, I suppose that's just the way life goes sometimes. I've spent the last month working like crazy trying to get as much done as possible before I left, so I'm absolutely exhausted. Haven't been home in ages, so it's nice to be back, but I'm starting my new job on Monday, so I don't have much time to relax. My new job is way over the other side of the country (don't laugh, Americans - it's totally far away) in a place I've never been. I have nowhere to live and no idea how to get there, so basically I'm going to truck up the country with a car full of stuff and just wing it from there. Wish me luck!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  16:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like living life on the edge!!!
Congrats, Bee. Hope everything at the new job is good!

SS was on TV last night. We stumbled across it and decided to put in the DVD instead. Wow those kids have grown up! Daughter has been asking me to read the books to her again. I don't think I want to start at the beginning with her again. Perhaps we'll start with watching the movies then move to the books with OotP onwards. The movie has started a hankering in me to read the whole series from start to finish, though.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  16:36:42  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Nothing like living life on the edge!!!
Congrats, Bee. Hope everything at the new job is good!

SS was on TV last night. We stumbled across it and decided to put in the DVD instead. Wow those kids have grown up! Daughter has been asking me to read the books to her again. I don't think I want to start at the beginning with her again. Perhaps we'll start with watching the movies then move to the books with OotP onwards. The movie has started a hankering in me to read the whole series from start to finish, though.

It is funny seeing them SO young. I haven't tried to read the later books as read-alouds, but I did greatly enjoy doing the first and second books that way. I think the first two would be more fun to read aloud than the later books. Obviously you don't mind reading the later books out-loud, Siobhan. What are the differences that you have found?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  11:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PoA is the first really difficult one, actually-- when Harry hears Lily's screams. GoF isn't that difficult since the deaths are instantaneous and we don't really get Harry's reactions until a little time later. It's mostly those reactions that are wrenching. I think I read OotP once-- Daughter says no, but I'm pretty sure I did. The angst in that one is no fun to read, but there's also the honest outrage at the ministry for being so blind. Of course Sirius' death is quick, but once again we have Harry's reaction. HBP and DH have not yet been attempted. If my reactions while reading are any indication, I'll be in tears a good bit during DH.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  17:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, congrats on the new job! I don't think I was ever so carefree as to be able to pick up and move with nothing but a destination and a carload of belongings. Enjoy this time of your life, because it won't last.

I never tried reading the HP books aloud to my kids, but I think that the first two would be lots of fun. They are truly children's books. The sorrows are all innocent and the dangers all superficial. Harry is sad that he doesn't have parents, but not deeply so. His relatives are mean, but along the lines of Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters. Even Voldemort is just a one-demensional 'evil' character who kills unicorns and wants to kill Harry. Scary, but not painful or uncomfortable.

I could get through PoA and GoF all right and those would be by far the most interesting to read, because they aford so many opportunities to stop and discuss the writing itself and the deeper meaning behind the characters' actions. What is really going on between Snape and Lupin during the Marauder's Map conversation or at the Shrieking shack, for instance?

On the other hand, I doubt I could do justice to capslock!Harry in OotP. All that shouting would be very hard for me to pull off.

The last two books would be the toughest because they have quite a few parts that are painful and/or uncomfortable. I'd never get through Ron's rant about Harry groping Ginny in DH, for instance or Ron calling Ginny a slut in HBP. That's just not the best way to open a conversation on sexuality with a pre-teen and few kids would want to hear their parent to read such things aloud.

I think these last three books might better be shared in a 'book club' arrangement. That's how I shared the books with my kids. We read them separately and discussed the chapters as we went.

As for movie!SS, anytime I see it, I always remember what Dan said in an interview. He stumbled across it on tv once and thought that there was something wrong with the sound because his voice was so high.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/08/2008 17:06:31
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  21:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that will be too much of an issue for us. Daughter and I have a very open sort of relationship. Also since I read in different voices for the characters, they mesh in with the movies. When she hears me read, she can visualise the actors-- in other words, it's not really me saying the lines it's Rupert Grint or Daniel Radcliffe (Hagrid is a real challenge, though). It is much easier for her to separate the characters I'm reading from me in that situation.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  01:08:10  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I watched all four movies this weekend. I didn't manage to see all of POA or GOF, just because we were doing other things. But it was fun to see the kids grow up from film to film. And yes, they were sooooo young in the first movie.

I like to read aloud, but I don't really have anyone to read to since Terry doesn't want to listen. Laura and I used to read to each other, and then I read aloud to Sarah last year when she stayed with us. Just because we all like it. But no fancy voices for me - I'm not good at it.

What I really enjoy though, is listening to Stephen Fry. I've listened to all of them except DH (hope to get that for Christmas), and he does a great job with all the angst and the sad parts as well. In reading them aloud to an empty room, I find that I can't get through the end of HBP without crying. And there were parts of DH that I couldn't manage either. So it's a good thing I don't have kids to read to.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  10:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It gets much harder to read aloud when your nose is all stuffy and your eyes are all puffy, too.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  14:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

I don't think that will be too much of an issue for us. Daughter and I have a very open sort of relationship. Also since I read in different voices for the characters, they mesh in with the movies. When she hears me read, she can visualise the actors-- in other words, it's not really me saying the lines it's Rupert Grint or Daniel Radcliffe (Hagrid is a real challenge, though). It is much easier for her to separate the characters I'm reading from me in that situation.
See that's my problem; I can't do voices at all. Anything I read just comes out sounding like me which is disappointing at best and in the case of Snape's lines, utterly criminal.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  15:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love doing the voices. But I've always been good at accents. I practice my drunk Glaswegian in the bath.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  16:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curse this vivid imagination!

All I have to go on is the movies and my imagination, really. I've heard only a small bit (more than I really wanted to hear) of the audio books-- the US ones at that. I should invest in the Stephen Fry readings, but I do enjoy reading the lines. The books take on a different dimension when read aloud. My Dobby sounded remarkably like the movie voice, even if I do say so myself.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  04:21:55  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love to read aloud, but I don't do accents well, so I gave up trying with that. And I don't sound as different as Stephen Fry or as Alan Rickman does with Return of the Native (which I just listened to again *sigh* ).

But I'm usually just reading aloud to myself. Weird, I know, but it's entertaining when the house is quiet. Perhaps if I had someone under the age of 12 to read to I would do better. I need that audience feed-back. LOL

Oh, and I did get DH for Christmas. I started listening the other day, but was interupted - hubby is home until Jan. 5, and Sarah has taken the week off and she's been around a lot as well.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 12/31/2008 04:24:15
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  00:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm only a month late to the party but I popped in to say - I'm not dead yet AND.. I'm reading SS to my 8 year old!!!

Neither of my kids have read HP - they were "too scsred" by the movies they saw at their friends' houses. So I'm reading SS aloud to my younger daughter as her nightly bedtime book - we'll see if she lets me read more than one! I figured I could read the first 3 but not GoF - too long, too involved and I do not think I could read the graveyard scene out loud!

Other things - I'm well, still working, still home-improving, life is dull and it seems like everyone else in the entire world is on Facebook so I may have to break down and go that way so I can actually hear from my friends.

Sad to say - I think that's all the news! I said life was dull, didn't I???

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  10:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you again, AMC. Have you thought of getting the audio versions of the books for your kids to listen to?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  10:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there AMC! Good to hear from you!!! The tea shop has been too quiet lately (though I've enjoyed having the tea and chocolate to myself).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  16:06:12  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here, have a scoop of the Rocky Road ice cream I've been enjoying this week, Siobhan.

And AMC, I would imagine your 8 year old will enjoy SS. I really enjoyed reading that one aloud and wanted to do CoS with my 10 yod, but she got all independent on me and decided to read the books for herself. It took a while, but she eventually finished them all. Maybe in a few months, I can bribe her to listen and CoS is in some ways my favorite of the books. Such a nice, compact plot, though I love OotP for all the plot bunnies created for fanfiction.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  22:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PoA is my favorite book and I'd be happy to read the books aloud until GoF. But honestly - I enjoy books best when I read them myself so I'd be thrilled to have the girls want to real them to themselves too. I get so much MORE out of a book when I'm reading and I've got that internal movie going in my head. I've never really gotten into audio books for that reason - I'm not an aural learner, I like to see print.

Can I have a scoop of Mint Chip, please? And another of Moose Tracks? With chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Being as it's a virtual sundae I might as well indulge a bit!

Edited by - AMC on 01/28/2009 22:32:40
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  17:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, just running by.

*grabs cuppa*
*grabs rock bun and stuffs it in mouth*

Mff mfff mmffmff mff mfff mffff ...

*chews energetically*

*removes bits of tooth from mouth*

Who let Hagrid do the cooking?

What I wanted to say is that I'm getting married to my partner in May. We'll be getting married at Lothian chambers in Edinburgh and will have 3 Harry Potter friends as witnesses.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  18:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

Hey guys, just running by.

What I wanted to say is that I'm getting married to my partner in May. We'll be getting married at Lothian chambers in Edinburgh and will have 3 Harry Potter friends as witnesses.

Congratulations! How wonderful!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  18:44:46  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Starling. It sounds like you have some special plans in place!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  00:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Martje! I had to google "Lothian Chambers" - looks grand. So are you living close to Edinburgh now or is it just for fun to go there for the wedding - I'm assuming this isn't a flight-to-the-border elopment because you're both under age and your parents won't consent. *chortle*

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  04:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still living in Lancaster, but we're going to Edinburgh for the JKR connection and because that's where all our "local" HP friends live. All the other ones live in the US/Australia/South Africa/Germany/Japan/Canada.

These three friends are great, they met through the forum I set up when Melissa kicked us off the Leaky comments, and they all live together in one apartment. One is from Kent, one is from California and one is from Bodmin.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  11:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to you and Ruth!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  13:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! I wish you all the best in your new life!

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  17:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Starling! Such great news! Best wishes to you both xx

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a rest. Think I'll just sit here for a couple of minutes while Daughter has lunch. Really, I should be working on some sewing or housecleaning, but I feel more like putting it all off.

Anyone got some chocolate?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  15:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, but I'd love some! I'm trying to be healthy at the moment, so I've got no tempting treats in the press at all. Boo.

Still, I'm going to Rome on Sunday, so I'll get to pig out all I want then.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  18:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun in Rome Bee! Have you been there before? It's a great idea, going there in winter instead of summer. Wish I'd thought of that.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same with Charleston. Why people think it would be great to visit the South in summertime beats me. It's hot, humid, and buggy from May through October.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  23:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun in Rome, Bee!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.