Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  17:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now know why I can't wear heels! It's so I don't clop down the corridors and distract the pupils (and the ultra-desirable married men... not that I've seen any so far - it's all ladies all the time round these here parts). I reckon I'll totally get away with some non-cloppy wedges. If only the job itself was so easy sorted. Everyone's been really nice and I'm being eased in so I'm not feeling too under pressure, but it's still a bit nerve-wracking. I'm not sure what I was doing in college all those years but it certainly wasn't learning anything useful.

I'm quite liking my new town, not that I've seen much of it because I've spent most of my free time in the car. I'm commuting between two places and living in the middle, so it's a bit crazy. It seems like a nice place though. The house is nice anyway, though it has no internet and dodgy phone coverage, so I may end up having to communicate with my loved ones via smoke signals. So if any of ye see anything funny in the sky, it's probably only me saying hello.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  22:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that's what those odd puffs of purple smoke were!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  11:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I'm not sure what I was doing in college all those years but it certainly wasn't learning anything useful.
Lol! Yes, I felt the same way when I got my first real job out of college. College teaches you specific knowledge, but learning to apply it in the real world is something else. Have no fear though, you'll settle in soon enough, I'm sure.

We hit a family milestone this weekend when we took my oldest off to college in Santa Cruz. He was excited, but also a bit nervous and homesick. All went well and nobody broke down in tears, which was good. His roommates seem very nice - the university did a good job matching them up. What really impressed me though, was that the college had activities planned for the freshman from the very first day they arrived.

Saturday evening at 8:00 there was an introductory meeting followed by more, smaller get-togethers yesterday. There are also activities everyday this week: Tours of Campus Including Shortcuts, How to Find Your Classes, How to Get around Town, etc. So cudos to UCSC for having such a good support system to help ease the kids into college life.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/22/2008 12:00:43
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  12:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go Banana Slugs! Man oh man do we need a slug smilie.

A friend's son started there last year (or was it the year before).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  13:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah the lovely squaw Fluttering Bee sends her signals skyward by the shining big sea water...

I'm learning the hard way that a Masters degree really doesn't get you much farther than the dinner table. No job I've entertained since leaving college has considered it useful.

I love UC Santa Cruz. I also love banana slugs, so maybe I'm biased. I would have gone there actually if my grades had been, well, any good at all really.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  16:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Santa Cruz is just gorgeous - the beach, the redwoods. Plus the weather is wonderful. I'm currently trying to invent reasons to go visit my son on the weekends.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/22/2008 16:11:17
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  16:34:07  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

[quote]Originally posted by Bee

We hit a family milestone this weekend when we took my oldest off to college in Santa Cruz.
We sent our oldest son off to dental school about a month ago, Theowyn. He lived at home and commuted to The University of Georgia for his undergraduate degree. I didn't think it would bother me that much when he left since he was 21 and more than ready to be off on his own. But I think I am actually going through a bit of "my son just left home" depression--and I still have four kids at home! The house isn't quiet, but it still feels like it's missing something (obviously "someone"). Hope your transition is a little easier, Theo.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  17:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are days when I really am ready to have Daughter out on her own (usually when she has me in a death grip and declares she's never leaving home), but not many and not often. Our house will be very quiet without her one of these days.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  12:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Son came home this weekend - yes it's only been a week. He called on Saturday as I was painting the downstairs bathroom - his bathroom, the one he wasn't supposed to need until he came home on the 11th - and said, "Hi mom, would it be okay if I came home today?"

Well, we do have two other bathrooms and the poor thing has been awfully homesick. He actually misses home more than I miss him, but then he's always been more of a homebody. Plus, girlfriend is still here (she's a senior in high school), so that's doubly hard for him. Gf and I picked him up at the station Saturday evening and I swear it was like a scene out of some 1950s romance. He came up to us and without a word grabbed gf and kissed her as if he hadn't seen her in months. A woman who was walking behind son said, "Oh, how sweet!" and it really was. They are so cute together. I also got a heartfelt hug and it really was wonderful having him home.

Poor son had a terrible time heading back last night, however. At 5:30 he caught the train from Sacramento to San Jose which is about a three hour ride. From there he was supposed to catch the 9:00 bus for the hour drive to Santa Cruz where a buddy was going to pick him up and drive him up to campus. Unfortunately, the train broke down and by the time another engine could come and pick them up, the three hour trip and turned into six. Worse, he missed the last bus from San Jose to Santa Cruz and wound up having to take a taxi to school - he hasn't told me how much that cost! He finally got in about 1:00 a.m. Fortunately, he only has one class today which doesn't start until 12:30, but what a mess! I'm so angry at AmTrak.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/29/2008 12:48:43
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  01:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - our wonderful train system. Is it any wonder everyone who can choose to drive does? My sister once took the train from SF to LA - a 6 hour drive - by the time she got here she'd been travelling for close on 16 hours.

I went to school 3000 miles away from home - couldn't have gone home for a weekend if I'd wanted to! And I did - I remember being SO homesick - but it was a good experience, all in all. I survived and in some ways it may be easier to get over homesickness when you absolutely can't go home for 3 months.

I don't want the kids out of the house at all - but I do like the peace and quiet when they're gone for short spells.

Bee - with a little luck, your education gave you the background you need to LEARN what you need to do at work. You never come out of school equipped to do a job (unless you go to a vocational school, I guess) but hopefully you're equipped to learn the job.

LOVE the black and grey background, Siobhan - it's just beautiful.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 10/05/2008 01:05:31
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  19:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I found it in black and white on leavesoftime.com and reworked the colours. The artist has lots of freebees.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  09:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what's going on with Jokelly? She hasn't been here since August 2. I sent her an email last month, but she never responded. I also wonder what happened with Treefrog, Myf, and Tsuki Keta, they haven't posted in over a year.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  09:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf actually said she wasn't going to post here anymore. I'm not sure about the others.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  09:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did something happen, or did she just get tired of posting?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  10:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf said she didn't see herself still wrapped up in HP after the last book came out. I assume she just moved on.

Jokelly was in the middle of job and economy confusion, so she may just be very busy focusing on getting life straightened out.

Tsuki hasn't been on in ages, neither has Nuggy.
Treefrog was in baby land, enough said-- same with Orchi.

Let's face it, there just isn't much going on in HP fandom lately-- especially since the movie has been delayed. We had a small flurry of activity before they announced that little gem.

On another note, a friend's daughter has been asking me questions about book 7. She was ambivalent/confused about the last book. She asked about the Elder Wand-- big surprise. She also had issues with Dumbledore being so manipulative. Snape's treatment bothered her, too. On the other hand she was totally surprised by Snape/Lily-- even more so when she found out that we had pretty much anticipated that revelation. I had to explain why Remus was so reluctant to marry Tonks and his reaction to her being pregnant. Kind of nice to be able to give her some answers.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  16:43:37  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's to be expected that some people who were once very active aren't anymore, for whatever reason. I still check on HP stuff, and still love rereading the books (or listening to Stephen Fry read them), but I don't get into discussions nearly as much now. Not that I don't still think about the books, but the on-line discussions were more fun when we didn't have answers. Part of the fun was reading some of the outlandish opinions (Madame Pince being Snape's mum was my favorite ), or different interpretations. But after the last book, I just don't feel like I really need to hear someone else's opinion--I have my own.

Other than that, it's been a really busy summer and fall for me. We spent 10 days touring in Virginia and just got back home last Thursday. While I was gone, I looked at a few sites, but was too tired at night to read much of anything or comment. And then there's the election--I've found some interesting blogs and have been following those a lot more than the HP ones. It'll be nice when that's all over (in more ways than one), and life can go back to normal. Please tell me that things will be normal again.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  21:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normal?
I think you may need to define that one for me. What I think of as "normal/sensible" always seems to be at odds with the majority.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  15:11:11  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

Part of the fun was reading some of the outlandish opinions (Madame Pince being Snape's mum was my favorite ), or different interpretations.
Oh, I loved that one. It made so much sense. I still enjoy reading fanfiction--especially ones that can figure out a new way to keep Snape alive. Or give the Slytherins back some respect. Or something. But all the time between books sure did make for some fun times, didn't it--great discussions and great fanfiction!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  20:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello members. It is a sad message I bear to you. Another member has been cured. I received a request from Pesky today that I delete her member profile and email address from the boards. She did not leave a message for everyone, but I thought I'd let you know so you didn't worry. She said she just felt it was time to move on.

Her posts remain, marked with "n/a" for username and "deleted" in the user ranking.

Thanks for all the good times, Pesky Pixie! You'll be missed. Remember, if you suffer a relapse, you can always recommit yourself at any time.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take care, PP!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  10:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy
Halloween!!!

Just a note to let you know I'm off for the weekend. See you Monday! Don't eat too much candy!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  10:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how was your candy haul? We were in a cabin in the mountains so we didn't have any trick or treaters, but I bought some candy for myself.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  17:39:35  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We live out in the country up a long dirt drive so we NEVER get trick-or-treaters. The kids went to a church party and came back with enough candy for a while and I begged a Tootsie Roll off of one of them. It's surprising how much I still love Tootsie Rolls!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  18:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I wish I'd known that years ago! Daughter hit the motherload of Tootsie Rolls and discovered quite quickly that she didn't like them at all. It was an unhappy year for the candy haul.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  16:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all,
it does seem quiet round here. What a pity! Only 4 weeks to Christmas now, oh how I can't wait for a break from work. My holiday to California seems like years ago now. I loved my first taste of America by the way - hated Vegas though. I should have listened to the countless people who told me I wouldn't like it. I especially liked the coastal area. Yosemite really is something else!
Wish you all well.
Ciao for now,
Gimu
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  16:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Gimu. Maybe with the Tales of Beedle the Bard coming out now, things might perk up a bit in here. Barnes and Noble emailed me this morning saying my copy has been shipped.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  10:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky elf!
I've got it on my Christmas list, but I'm not sure whether it'll materialise or not.

Yes, it has been increasingly quiet here ever since WB announced the delay of HBP. People just have more important things on their minds right now, I guess. Though there is a small pickup in traffic (or posting) every time a new movie trailer is released.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  12:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gimu. People are especially busy with the holidays approaching. I'm sure things will pick up after the first of the year. Love the new skin, btw. The snowflakes are lovely.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  20:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Hopping Hippogriffs!!!!!!
Guess what I got for my birthday!!!!!!

The Special Edition Tales of Beedle the Bard!!!!!!!!!!

I like this background too. It makes me think of Ravenclaw's Common Room.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  11:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! I don't plan to buy the book myself, so let me know if there are any exceptional tidbits in it.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.