Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  13:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all! Thought I'd mention that since we've hit our true summertime weather (hot, humid, daily afternoon thunder/lightning storms) we may be down from time to time. We experience frequent power outages from the storms and from overloaded systems. Most last only a few seconds to a few minutes, but occasionally longer.

The server is on a battery backup, but that lasts only 20 minutes-- great for those blips but not the lengthy outs. Last time we went down it was because the fuse on the electric pole blew. All the offices in the complex were without power but because it was a weekend, no one else noticed. The electric company was less than happy to be of help. They recommended telling everyone to turn off their AC units after arguing with Mad-Eye as to whether the power was actually out-- he was standing in a dark office with nothing electrical working and the problem was not a circuit breaker. If they hadn't been rude about it I could easily make allowances.

So... if you try to log on and cannot find us, wait a bit and try again. It may be a simple thing. If there is a more lengthy problem and I am able, I will post over at Diagon Alley. Hurricanes I cannot do much about. In the event of a storm, I will post as late as I can, and then we may be down for a while. I might even try a bulk emailing depending on how much time I have.

Bee, hope things look up for you soon. It's so tough to be hopeful when there's a recession and no jobs, but hang in there.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  17:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

gimu, I'm applying for speech and language therapy positions, but there are hardly any about thanks to the HSE embargo (I know they claim there's no embargo, but - quelle surprise! - they are lying. They haven't hired any allied health professionals in almost a year now and show no signs of changing the situation.)

I had an interview today. Not sure how it went. That's my last one unless this one other place I applied to a few weeks ago gets back to me. There haven't been any posts advertised in the last five weeks so it looks like that could be it for the year, or for the summer at least. Le sigh.

The weather here is SHOCKING! We've already had our usual amount of rainfall for July, and we're not even halfway through the month yet! I'm seriously craving sunshine. Emigration is looking like a increasingly attractive option.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  18:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather - tell me about it - we have, once again, a mud garden. No chance for my flowers at all!

Bee, have you tried northern ireland? I have 2 cousins who are physio and occupational therapists and they quite often get contract jobs up there. I know my physio cousin also worked in a retirement/rehab home for a while. She took short term jobs for about a year and a half before she got her permanent/long term contract job. I'm sure you have looked into all these things already, but just in case.

You just reminded me of the french film,english translation title, the butterfly and the bell jar. Incredible book and film!

I'm at the end of 3 weeks of renovation work in my house. The plasterers finished today and it is just so dusty here. I have hoovered and washed the floors 3 times now and its still catching me. I just don't have time or energy to clean more now. Going to read more of my book and relax. I'm reading a book called "irelands burning" - it's about climate change and how it may or may not effect Ireland. It's actually quite funny for such a topically serious book...

Let's hope you don't get too many storms Siobhan - do you get hurricanes?

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  12:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read the Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and I really wanted to see the film, but it was never released on my side of the country. I must try and track it down on DVD. I've heard it's brilliant.

Yeah, I've thought of NI and the UK in general - I need to register over there first, which takes about 8 weeks. I only got my results a couple of weeks ago so I wasn't eligible to register before that - I've been meaning to do it ever since but just haven't got around to it yet. Must get cracking!

Ooh, renovations! What did you get done?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  14:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we get the hurricanes. Our season runs from May to November. Everyone watches the "Tropics" this time of year. With all the latest weather forecasting technology we can sit still and watch as the storms roll across the Atlantic heading toward the East Coast. It's always a guessing game as to which computer model to believe-- kind of like a long drawn out game of Chicken with Mother Nature. On the plus side, North Carolina or Florida are hit more often than South Carolina.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  15:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get going busy Bee! You will find something eventually. I will ask my sis to keep an eye out too - she lives in Liverpool. I'm going to visit her tomorrow

Renovations - well it wasn't all quite so fun. Our plumbing system was essentially screwed so we had to have most of it replaced (new condensing boiler, new hot water tank etc. We didn't replace most of downstairs as it would have meant digging up floors with tiles on them). We did however get a nice new bathroom which I love. The house is still dusty, but I don't want to do too much more cleaning until they are definitely finished - I just end up repeating what I have done and I am too worn in the evenings to be bothered.

You know Siobhan, I would love to hear all the different people on this forum talk - just to hear the accent. I'd say you have a lovely one if you are from the south. My boyfriend likes to do accents sometimes and a southern american one is one of his favourites.

I still need to plan my california holiday. I arrive in San Fransisco at the start of September, but no plans from there. Best get cracking on that!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to disappoint, gimu. I only live in the South (moved here in 1989 at 23 years old). I was born, raised, and educated in Western Washington state near Seattle, which is about as far as one can get from South Carolina without heading to the Arctic. So... I've no Southern accent that I am aware of. Even my Mad-Eye, though a Charleston native, hasn't an accent. My family all remarked upon the lack the first time they met him. I think they were a bit disappointed.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  23:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gimu, we're having trouble once again with our water system. That's what you get for living in a centuries old house. The water line is about about 35 years old so it's now developing leaks. We don't have "city water" so we're hooked into the spring house. Then the hot water element went and it's stuck so we have to get it out before it gets changed. On a good note I went into Lowes to get pipe connections, which cost about 40 cents and came out with a new pedestal sink for the bathroom. It was on clearance and we really need a new one. We used to have a wood vanity, but the only bathroom is in the basement and occassionally we get water and it's a wet basement so a pedestal is the way to go. I also want to get a new toilet and reseat the bathtub. May as well do everything at once.

I'm busting my hump to get my continuing education credits completed in time for August. Which I won't. In PA, teachers have to have 180 continuing education credits. Mine are up in August and I never did mine before because I always thought I'd move away, and I probably will. And it's hard to get your credits if you're not employed full-time with a district because they are the ones who usually provide them. My business teaching certificate is still active, but my education certificate will go to "inactive" meaning I can still sub, which I just can't bring myself to do anymore.

Hey, Bee, why don't we both move to the Caribbean and be beach bums who make hats on the beach from palm leaves. We can make a living at that, can't we? Careers suck. Maybe I should tell the government I'm a druggie or alchie and collect SSI. I'd make more money at that than teaching. Sadly.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  11:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about the pedestal sink, Jo. Mad-Eye's bath had a particle board vanity/sink. Unfortunately, being next to the tub it got wet on a regular basis. The previous owners of the house had redone the bath fairly recently with tile floors, wainscot, but put the cheapest of vanities in. It looked nice but turned to sawdust and glue when it got wet underneath. When we redid the bath we changed to a large pedestal sink. The only downside is the lack of storage space.

A few years ago we had to redo the portion of the sewer line that runs from our house to the main line a section at a time. That involved excavating, removing old terra cotta tiles (some of which had broken due to tree roots, etc.), and replacing them with PVC-- so much fun.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  12:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we're looking for a house to rent (cos we're moving in together). Our top rent is 650 a month, and so far we've either found immaculate houses in the wrong area (even though they're good areas, but too close to my ex), and hovels in the right area (there's this one guy who wants 650 a month for a house with ceilings that are falling in, a hole in the roof, and a glass roof that's about to fall down on top of an unsuspecting person).

Decent houses go in 10 second flat, I swear. Grrrr.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  01:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.. it's been a million years since I was one (give or take a millenia) and when I come to Madame Puddifoot's, what do I find? Renovation talk! I love you guys - I'm so there. We had our back porch ripped off two weeks ago, it was termite-ridden and wouldn't hold paint because the boards were so trashed, so it had to go. Now the new porch is framed and we can't WAIT to get the decking boards on. We miss our back door! I've renovated a bath and a kitchen before - the kitchen was more expensive but the bathroom was harder! There are so many options. We also went with a pedestal, because it was a guest bath and there wasn't a lot of room. Love the way pedestals look but the storage problem is real - I like drawers to hold "stuff".

Good Luck, Martje!!!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  13:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I think I'll move to London. There's a gorgeous 3-bedroom flat in Harley Street to rent for 700 a month. Goes to show how screwed the housing is up here (in Lancaster) cos the prices are pushed up by student landlords.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  11:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A day in the life of an adventuresome bunny:

http://www.angryalien.com/aa/raidersbuns.asp

So he doesn't have black spots like my real Dr. Jonesie, he's still cute.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  21:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, Siobhan. I like the girl classroom bunnies sighing.

My pedestal sink is still in my car. One day I hope to get it into the bathroom. Someday it will happen. One think we don't have to worry about is loss of storage because we had none to begin with. The bathroom is so small that storage is a cupboard in the furnace room you have to walk through to get to the bathroom. I make sure I use the potty every night before bed because walking down two flights of stairs and back up is a real wake-up call. If I do have to go I usually hold it until morning.

Do you ever get stuck on a CD repeatedly? I do all the time. I'm been stuck listening to the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss CD "Raising Sand" ad nauseum. It's fantastic but you probably won't like it if you're a die-hard Led Head or a bluegrass purist fan of Alison Krauss. It's very despressing and haunting but in a good way. I need a new CD to listen to repeatedly.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  18:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! We just got back from a 10-day vacation and I'm taking a break from my insanely busy summer to let you all know I'm still around. Our summers are always busy, but this one is turning out to be a record - mainly because my kids are all old enough to have lives that don't revolve around us. I swear I need an appointment secretary to keep up with them!

My 12 y.o. daughter has barely been home since school let out. First she spent two weeks with friends down in the bay area, then she was off to Disneyland for four days with another friend. After that we were off on vacation. We just got back on Sunday and today she left for camp for 8 days!

I've seen my 15 y.o. son for a grand total of three weeks since the end of May. He's a counselor at the Boy Scout camp in Lassen about two hours north of us here in California. He left mid-June and was supposed to be gone 7 weeks, but they were evacuated due to the wildfires in the area on the 1st of July. They weren't in any real danger, but the firefighters decided better to be safe than sorry.

My son was very proud because they managed to evacuate about 300 boy scouts in half an hour! It worked out well for us, too, because it meant that my son was home for the 4th of July and my husband's birthday which is the same week. He was back up to camp the next week, but no sooner did he get back to Lassen than another evacuation was ordered. My son is very independent, though, and this time he opted to stay in Chico (which is only 20 minutes from Lassen) with one of the other counselor's rather than come home. He has apparently also adopted a stray kitten from camp that we have yet to meet. He finally got to return to camp this last Saturday and, with luck, will be able to stay there until he comes home August 9th.

My older son is 18 and has a girlfriend, so we barely see him at all. He did manage to come on vacation with us last week (unlike my younger son who preferred to stay in Chico). The girlfriend came too and everything worked out very well. We really like her and she gets along well with my daughter too.

With all the dashing here and there, things have been quite hectic. I can't believe it's nearly the end of July! School is starting again in under 4 weeks.

I am glad to hear that all of you are well. Siobhan, the news about your mother is great. Bee, hang in there. I'm sure you'll find something soon. Jo, good luck on that pedestal sink. I SOOOOO want to give my baths a face-lift. At minimum, they desperately need repainting!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  13:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a job! I still can't believe it. I'm so delighted and relieved.

I'm probably starting late August/early September. In the meantime, I've booked myself a little break to my beloved NYC. Weak dollar + great shoes = fun times! I've also got graduation coming up next month. The rest of the summer is going to rock!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  16:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Bee!!!

Best of luck with the job and many happy returns! (just not the shoes!)
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  17:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yipeeee Beeeee!!!!!

Now if only it weren't burger flipping.
(you know I'm just kidding, right?)

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  18:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I'm so pleased. It came just as I had all but given up on getting a job in my field of qualification and had accepted a job as a support worker in a residential home for adults with intellectual disability. Which I've since quit - hooray!

Shoes shoes shooooooes...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  18:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah!!!!! Bee that's great - where is it? I hope its what you want - the first step on the career ladder!! Well done!
Enjoy NYC!
Hi Theo - glad you are still around. Have you done much writing recently?

My builders only just finished on saturday. BUT my living room and kitchen are so clean and non dusty - only really the study and extension part of the house is still bad/ We are thinking of putting up wallpaper in our living room. Apparently its back "in" here in Ireland. Hmmm. Anyway, you know we have a dog - my other half was surfing and found a website where you can send off a picture and they will print wallpaper incorporating the picture. He suggested we send off a picture of the dog. Can you imagine? Mad!!! I think we will pass on that one though...

So its still painting and fixing and all that jazz. I suppose summertime is the time to do this stuff though.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  19:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squeeee! Bee that's wonderful news!

No Gimu, I haven't done any writing lately. I've been far too preoccupied with the kids comings and goings. Once they get back to school and we're into a normal routine, I think I'll be able to get back to it.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 07/23/2008 19:16:36
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  00:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YAY BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I am SO pleased for you!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  01:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay Bee !!!!!!!!!!!! What are you going to do? What does the job entail?

I know how hard it can be job searching and not having any hope of finding anything. I have a friend not in the teaching field job searching and she keeps sending me job links. I really don't want to leave the area because I have my house, but it's a dilema. Either get an office job or move south. I've been getting job information from Virginia and North Carolina. I have three areas that I'll move to in a minute, so if anything would come up there I'll apply. So I'm not totally against relocating.

You know, I've never been to NYC or even New York. I've been to every state on the eastern seaboard from New Jersey to Florida, but nothing north. I've never been to D.C. either. Those are my someday places.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  13:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny, because NY and DC are the only places in the US I've every been. Okay, I'm lying slightly - I've also been to New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

My job is *drumroll* speech and language therapist in an early intervention service for children with intellectual disability. Glamourous, eh? It's in some random place I've never been to before - didn't even do the interview there. Should be interesting...

gimu, my house-buying friends have informed me that wallpaper is indeed back in fashion. There's some lovely stuff around at the moment. I say go for it! Maybe don't get your dog's picture printed on it though.......!!

Jo, good luck with the job hunting. I hope something suitable comes up for you soon. I have friends in the same predicament, where they have houses etc. in areas where there just aren't any jobs. I'm lucky that I can go anywhere. Not to mention the fact that Ireland is pretty teeny so relocating here is not exactly the same thing as relocating in the US!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 07/24/2008 13:26:33
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  15:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh Gooody!! Bee got a job! And exactly the job she wanted!

Now I'm jealous. :)

Seriously though, I'm now looking at unpaid research positions in the hope that they will give me the confidence to believe that someone so monumentally f****d up as I can actually function in the workplace.

Maybe I need Bee's help...

I know I dis NYC a lot Bee, but I'm really happy you love it there. I should find something to like about it. It's where I was born after all. If I can't like something about where I was born, then I'm kinda lost. Still, I only ever buy two pairs of shoes a year, from the same store in northern California, so that might have something to do with our differing attitudes.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  15:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nice thing about the newer forms of wallpaper is they come off the wall MUCH more neatly and easily than the old kind did - so you're not "stuck" if you change your mind later on and want to paint or re-paper the walls. As someone who has removed a lot of old wallpaper, I can tell you that's a good thing! Just don't let anyone tell you you can wallpaper the sheetrock without priming first.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  15:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with finding a research position, diri! It's the same story over here - there doesn't seem to be any paid work for research assistants. I know a few people who have ended up working for free just to get the experience. Hopefully if you start with an unpaid position it might lead to paid opportunities in the future.

And yes, shoes definitely have a lot to do with my love for your place of birth.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  09:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the new job, Bee!
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

I know I dis NYC a lot Bee, but I'm really happy you love it there. I should find something to like about it. It's where I was born after all. If I can't like something about where I was born, then I'm kinda lost. Still, I only ever buy two pairs of shoes a year, from the same store in northern California, so that might have something to do with our differing attitudes.

The theater! I'm not a shopper either and I'm not really fond of super-crowded big cities, but if I had the money I'd go to New York every year and spend a week seeing shows.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  05:42:52  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new job, Bee--that sounds great. And enjoy your trip. I'm with Theo--I'd want to spend my time going to all the plays and musicals I could get in to. Much more fun than shopping, any day. Of course, affording it might be a bit of a problem.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.