Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Washington, near Tacoma.

Yeah, we are hot sleepers so there aren't that many options for us. Add in the fact that we like a soft matress and that narrows the field of options still further. The waterbed was so nice because though we used the heater, we didn't keep it very warm. The water temp would actually take some of our heat away. Husband and I are also different in height. I'm only 5' but he's about 5'8". I know that doesn't sound very important, but it is when trying to buy a matress that is supposed to work for both people. Our weight is distributed much differently as well.
At any rate, the AC has kicked in (it's been near 90*F or 32*C already) and we've powered up the ceiling fan, I'm finding it necessary to pull up a light blanket in the morning. So I must be adjusting.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here I am in Washington. Travel went well, it is just very tiring. I think even the danger of splinching would be overcome by the sheer simplicity of apparition as a mode of transportation-- if it can be called that. We're still on Charleston time so we woke up at 6am.

Don't know what we'll be doing today. I think a nice easy day of transition would be nice. Caffeine!!!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  13:04:23  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We lived in Oregon several years ago and I can still remember just how long it actually took to fly from Oregon to Atlanta the one time we came home for a trip. We stopped over in Denver and it was amazing to realize that Denver was only half-way home. That more than anything gave me a real feel for exactly how wide the U.S. is. Hope you're having lovely weather. Unfortunately, you are missing an incredibly lovely late Spring here in the South.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  13:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished my masters last week, so I've moved home and am currently catching up on sleep and daytime tv. It's all fine and dandy at the moment, but I'm really starting to feel the financial pinch. The job market is currently pretty dire, so the likelihood of getting a job in my area of qualification is very slim. But if I can get anything that won't look too bad on my CV I'll take it. I just wish I didn't have to do all these horrible interviews. Can't a job just magically fall out of the sky? *pouts*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  22:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee
The job market is currently pretty dire, so the likelihood of getting a job in my area of qualification is very slim.

Welcome to the club.
*clinks some firewhisky glasses*
Cheers.

I am turning all my Accounting stuff in Tuesday and I'm officially done with my job. Now the hard part is turning in applications for teaching positions. I know I've said it before, but I've not been subbing for months because I been working steady preschool and I just don't want to sub anymore, and my preschool job doesn't pay enough to stay there. So next week after everything is tied up I'm digging into the job search. I'm seriously considering Western Virginia. I dislike the metropolitan area of Balitmore/DC so I want to stay away from the eastern part, but there are lots of jobs all over down there and it's beautiful in the west. Plus, it will be only about 4 or 5 hours away from home so it's not that long to go home for visits, but too close for surprises

Hmm, what exciting has been happening in my life. I got bangs in my hair. Couldn't stand it so I got them chopped off.

One nice thing about working with four and five year olds is that you never know what they're going to say. One little boy asked me if I was a teenager and then if I was twenty-one. When I told him I was thirty-one, he then said he thought the twenty-four year old I worked with was thirty-two.

Theowyn, my condolences on your mom. It's always hard to lose someone, especially your mom.

*post interruption*
Ack! My cat just started jumping around after something and the dog just went wild and I jumped up onto my computer chair. Right now I'm sitting with my feet on it in a squatting position. I see no mouse or anything. I think it was a fly, but I'm still not putting my feet down. *looks around* Everything is fine, I think.
*post back on*

Ahh, a mattress purchase. I have to buy a new one, but I'm too cheap so I keep sleeping on the old one. I'm a cold sleeper. I fear my future husband, if I should get married some odd day, will have to have a separate bed. I love lots of blankets on me. The heavier the better. Even in summer I need to be covered. My siblings used to tell on me when I was little for sleeping with a quilt on in the hot weather. Last week I was still using the electric blanket because we turned the furnace way down and it was in the 30s at night.

I'm really random tonight. It's been awhile since I posted so it's coming out in bits.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/31/2008 23:06:34
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  23:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!!! I'm been M.I.A. but it hasn't been neglect - I've been in prison. No, not really - I just thought I'd give you guys a thrill. This is the first weekend in 6 weeks that I haven't had a birthday party to throw, an out of town trip to take or houseguests to entertain. WOOOOHOOOOO!!! FREEDOM is MINE!!! Today I did laundry, stretched and picked up the house. Tomorrow I might actually... garden. Boring as all get out and is it NICE to be boring again.

Bee, the job market it turning dire here too - so much so that for the first time in my whole career, I could "job security" as one of the biggest advantages of my position. I hate my boss but happily, that's the only down-side, I love my co-workers and my work. So I'm one of the lucky ones these days.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 05/31/2008 23:36:31
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  13:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news about Mum. She's doing well. Looks fit and seems to have few side effects from the chemo. Her energy/stamina levels are understandably a little lower than normal. She also has some loss of nerve sensitivity in her fingers, as well as sense of taste. No major hair loss, though. Her mid-treatment CAT scan came back clear the doctor was very happy). They gave her another week off treatment for our visit. She goes in Tuesday morning to see doctor and have her labs done. The two delays so far mean she will be continuing treatment into July, but she seems OK with that. All in all, this has gone really well, so far.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  14:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooray! That's great news!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  22:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'd say we're cautiously optimistic-- just to be on the safe side.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  12:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Home again, home again, jiggety jig!

Back in Charleston this morning. What a shock to the system. It's almost 90* here-- a full 25* warmer than Washington. I've got lots of stuff to take care of today, but thought I'd waste some time here/relax first.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  17:40:21  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back! And YES! It is incredibly hot, isn't it?

I'm glad the prognosis on your mother seems to be so good.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  21:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  03:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news about your Mum Siobhan!

Any particular reason you're mooning us, Jo, or has your account been hacked?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  10:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She always liked Lupin. Perhaps she's hoping to release some wild instinct in us?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  22:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah, I just thought it was adorable. My brother and cousins were expert mooners.

I still can't get over what JKR did to Lupin. I understand, but I haven't gotten over it yet. But it still isn't as bad as what Louisa May Alcott did to her characters. The best advice I ever heard someone give to getting halfway through Little Women was "Put it down and quit reading." I literally did throw that book across the room in disgust.

Oooh, you know how living in a century plus old house has all kind of nooks, crannies, and gaps. Well, we thought we had a problem with a mouse or a mole in the kitchen getting in through a tiny hole. The cat and dog were going wild for the past few days and it's back in the corner by the back door where there is a small metal shelving unit for tools and coatrack above. So today I had to get out the door and the dog was going wild again and I started rooting around and found a snake skin. A SNAKE SKIN!!!!!! I'm so freaked out. It was about two feet long. Luckily, the animals have been so wild that it's scared it away. It's probably only a black snake, which are common here. And my father is on vacation, but the minute he gets back, it's his job to clear out that corner and repair the hole. I'm not getting into it. I told my sister if she doesn't hear from me tomorrow then it's because I've died from a heart attack of having a snake crawl into bed with me...and that's not a metaphor or euphemism.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  10:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.
I hope you are all keeping well.
Job security sure is something to treasure. I still don't have a permanent job. You've gotta watch out for contracts at the moment too - at least here. Companies here seem to including all sorts of weird extras in contracts these days. My boyfriend got offered a job and they wrote in his contract (which I'm sure some people have actually signed) that they would have the right to temporarily lay him off and not pay him, but he wouldn't be allowed to be employed by a competitor firm in that time where they didn't want him to work there... So... Where does the money come from in that time? Flippin burgers or what?
I hope you find a suitable position soon Bee and Jo and anyone else who is looking for one. I had an interview the other day. first round for a large pharma company. Not sure what they thought of me at all - I think I talked a lot.
I am on a reread of the HP series. Almost finished OotP. You know I forgot so many things. I still laugh while reading - my boyf. thinks I'm mad I'm sure.

I am going to California in September. Flying in to San Francisco. We have been planning to go for a long time. Now the money is saved up, flights bought, and now I can't make up my mind what to do and where to go while I'm there. We plan to stay a few days in San Fran and then head out on the road in a hired car. Anyone any recommendations on which national parks etc to visit? I want to go to Las Vegas - just to see how mad it is. I've never been to USA before. Jo, you are making me nervous about snakes and stuff - I have never seen one in the wild. Ireland famously doesn't have any... We don't have dangerous spiders or insects either. Or bears! I read that there are lots in California.
Anyways, it is nice that ye all still post here. I don't think I will ever grow out of HP!
All the best to all
Gimu

Edited by - gimu on 06/08/2008 10:26:30
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Are there really no snakes in Ireland? I thought that was just an old wives tale. Well, we have snakes in PA. The cat layed a the door all night and the dog was laying there today so they're like my guardsmen. Bad thing is that that door is the only one we use. So that's the only way out of the house because we usually don't use the front door. I'll be out that front door in a flash if I even see a bit of movement.

I have no idea about visiting California as I've never been west of Ohio. The East coast I've been all over, but not the west. The one piece of advice is that America is much more vast than you think it is. I, myself, can drive for 6 or 7 hours and never leave Pennsylvania, and we're not a large state. If you're going into San Fran then I'd say soak up everything there and google about the area and see what's doable in the time period you're going to be there.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  14:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, no snakes here. I saw my first snake when I was in Asia, and freaked out. Though I think that was understandable, because it was a cobra and could have killed me.

Hi gimu, good to hear from you! Good luck with the job hunt. Stupid economy - grr. I could get into a giant rant about the HSE here, but I'll spare you.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  00:13:04  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've missed a lot lately it seems. We were in Florida at the end of April at Walt Disney World. We picked the best time to go--it was sunny and in the mid-80s every day while back in Washington state it was cold, rainy, and they even had snow in the Seattle area. Soooo glad we missed it.

When we got home, I got a new lap top, which is great, but as usual, there have been some glitches to work out with the router and the networking and my email. For a while I had no address book--bit scary, thinking I might have to re-enter it all. Then I lost some emails, and some of the time I just couldn't get on at all because Terry was working on it.

Theo, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That's difficult whether it was expected or not. Take care. I found when my mom passed away that I would remember her at the oddest times. It was the little unexpected reminders of her that would hit me the hardest, and sometimes it still does even after 12 years. So as a friend told me, don't be surprised and it's easier if you just let yourself go with the moment. As my friend said, it's kind of like a wave washing over you and then it feels better.

Siobhan, that's good news about your mum. I've been wondering how she is doing. I'm sorry that we didn't connect when you were here this last time. I ended up being out and gone quite a bit, and then the whole computer thing was a mess around the end of May and first part of June. I know that I lost about 4 emails, but I don't even know what they were. That was one of the times that Terry was trying to fix something and he saw the emails come in but didn't read them, and they disappeared.

Well, anyway, maybe we can meet up the next time you are out this way. And we are still having the rotten weather that we've had all spring. I normally like the rain, but I'm really tired of still wearing winter sweaters in June because otherwise I'm too cold. Argh.

TTFN

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  13:36:04  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore
And we are still having the rotten weather that we've had all spring. I normally like the rain, but I'm really tired of still wearing winter sweaters in June because otherwise I'm too cold. Argh.

TTFN

Eeyore, I remember how much I enjoyed summer arriving the two years we lived in the Pacific Northwest after the rain of the winter. I wish we could trade for a few days, though. Here in the Southeast, we are having high 90 to low 100 degree weather--which is very unusual for early June. We weren't completely out of the drought from last year, so this temperature extreme is browning out the grass in just days. Thankfully, the temperature is supposed to moderate some in a few days.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  18:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again all.

Theo, sorry to hear about your mum. I can't even imagine how it must be to lose your mother. I suppose it's a relationship that is so easy to take for granted. I wish you the best of memories of your mother.
I guess life must be quite different for you now. Live life to the full is the lesson I always learn around a bereavement. My friend was killed in a car crash a couple of years ago. I still think of her almost every day. Everytime I have to do something I don't really want to do I think of Veronica and how she would love the chance to give it a go.

Siobhan - sorry to hear you must have been going through quite a difficult time also. Chemo is not so bad these days as it was 20 years ago - less drastic side effects, so I hope it is the case that your mother had benefitted from all the hard work and research of discovery and medicinal chemists.

Bee - grrrr indeed. So much money is wasted in this country because of people accepting the way things have always been done. I hope you find something soon. have you looked in Cork? I know they are saving money by not hiring people at the mo. Great big empty hospital here in Cork - new facilities getting dusty because of no money for staff. !!!

No snakes indeed here in Ireland. Just big puppies! My puppy is now 1 year old. She is such a pet.

I finished OotP last night. Just finished Dracos detour in HBP. Really enjoying reread!

Irish coffee all round (just a small nip of whiskey in each and some double cream yum yum)
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  22:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the snake hasn't appeared, yet. My father is home and was told to find the hole and fix it.

Okay, so I just figured out how much it's going to cost to heat my home and I just want to cry. It's around $4,000-$5,000 which works out to about $800/month to heat if you take it over the 6 months heating oil is used. This isn't counting electric and other utilities. It's over $4.50/gallon and rising sharply and expected to be over $5.00/gallon by August, possibly July. I don't care about gas, it's the home heating oil that is killing me. We usually have to get the oil tank filled twice a winter and it's a 500 gallon tank. I have a feeling we're probably going to close off the upstairs since there's no plumbing and just the bedrooms are up there. And yes, yes, I know European prices and all that, but I care about freezing this winter. There goes my nest egg.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/10/2008 00:05:42
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  12:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something tells me this is the new normal. I too feel your pain, even though I am a European. Thankfully it's now summer or I would be weeping blood myself.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not me, I'm sweating it. We've had heat advisories everyday since we got back from Seattle. Any time the heat index puts us above 100* (38* C), we get an advisory. Really, it's so hot I don't need an advisory to tell me to stay indoors, but then again, I can't bear it once we get over 80* (27* C).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  14:36:01  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Not me, I'm sweating it. We've had heat advisories everyday since we got back from Seattle. Any time the heat index puts us above 100* (38* C), we get an advisory. Really, it's so hot I don't need an advisory to tell me to stay indoors, but then again, I can't bear it once we get over 80* (27* C).

And our central air is broken! It's 85* in our house right now!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  01:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ten till 1:00 in the morning and I'm baking cookies. We're having a thing for the family at my aunt's for the holiday and I decided this evening to get the cookie dough that's been in the freezer since Christmas and make cookies. And not just any cookies, but ladylocks, the most time consuming cookie in the world to make. My favorite, also. So I now have to get up early tomorrow morning, run to the store, get the stuff for the icing and then fill them, then make potato salad. All before noon.

On a happy note, I've kept off the 17 lbs I've taken off since Christmas. But I've hit a plateau. I took that off just cutting pop out of my diet and now I'm at a stand still. I've started exercising daily, but I've also gained a pound or two. I think it's muscle weight because my clothes are still loose and I feel like I'm tightening up. My goal isn't necessarily a specific weight, but a cup size. I'm hoping to decrease that area of myself by a couple of inches. Watch, I'll be one of those that don't lose anything. I know I haven't lost anything, yet, but I'm hoping. Of course, the eight dozen ladylocks aren't helping.

Happy Fourth of July to my fellow Americans.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/04/2008 01:04:05
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Let me know if your sucessful. When I try to lose weight there, I lose it everywhere else but-- like in my feet! Yeah, there's nothing like fat feet.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone-- including those in the UK! Sometimes I think you got the better part of the deal.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  14:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy 4th of July! This day last year I was skipping around a nearly deserted New York City. Don't know where the natives vanished off to for the day, but I had fun anyway.

Still no job, though I've had a few more interviews. I'm currently in the process of applying for unemployment benefit... which is turning out to be nearly as difficult as actually finding a job. There's been a huge increase in the amount of people signing on in the last few months so the dole office is overwhelmed at the moment. Stupid recession.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  14:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy independence day to all you americans - sorry it's belated. I'm sure you all had a great time!
Good luck with the weight loss jo - I know how that is. I need to lose about 2-3 stone to get to my ideal weight but it just ain't happening. I have been run down since chrismas when I had a chest infection so I don't want to try too hard - I have lost about 3 pounds but that hardly counts.
Bee - you will get something soon - just keep trying. You always perform better in a job interview when you Really want the job, so I'm sure you will be fine when the right one comes along. What position(s) are you applying for?
Good luck!
I just saw something out about the new film so I'm going to have a look for a trailer
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gimu
I just saw something out about the new film so I'm going to have a look for a trailer

Gimu, I saw the trailer they put out several months ago as a promotional and I must admit that it made me quite eager for the movie. But as we said on the other thread, the young actors just keep getting better looking--and then there's Alan Rickman.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.