Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:44:14  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the token Republican in most HP internet communities, I will continue to keep my mouth shut while humming happily.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  17:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, your ilk will find no succour among our kind. We long ago became part of Rowling's seventeen-year experiment in indoctrination; its one goal: to create a global generation of Godless, Wiccan, socially progressive, pro-gay Commies.

We are but the first wave. There will be others. And others.

Don't you see? You can't win. Join us! I promise, it's painless!

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/19/2008 17:20:40
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  17:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should we adopt John Lennon's "Imagine" as our anthem?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  18:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snort* My mother-in-law thinks that song (John Lenon must have been the anti-Christ then...) is pure evil. I think it is highly sophisticated. I guess that makes me an insidious evil.Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies... or chocolate.

I'm not a Democrat, btw. I don't subscribe to any party. They all have plenty of immaturity to go around. Just look at how Bush treated McCain when he ran against him. Now there's maturity.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  18:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we're all sick of the political parties out there. None of them have any basis with reality, but we're all afraid to vote independent because of the two party system that the Electoral College has pushed down our throats.

Tomorrow is the first day of Spring and we have a weather forcast of snow.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  11:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is it snowing?

My Bradford pear looks like it's growing snowballs. This is the first year the squirrels haven't completely decimated the blooms. I guess the buds are really tasty. Or perhaps we have so many acorns right now, the pear isn't as tempting.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  14:14:32  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies... or chocolate.

But Diri said it would be painless... Cookies and chocolate are very painful when I have to start the diet after succumbing.

I actually used to follow politics quite a lot and my teenage and early-20's children still do, but I'm afraid I've gotten old enough that I know what I think and all the posturing just really has gotten tiring. It has also been a frustrating situation to me this time around as for the first time in years I literally disliked all the options. At least the Democrats this year seem to be having the fun of being excited about their, how did Diri phrase it--"Godless, Wiccan, socially progressive, pro-gay Commie" choices. (Tongue firmly in cheek, y'all, as I'm sure you know!)

And it's not snowing here in Georgia for the first day of Spring, but it's 20 degrees colder than yesterday. Phooey.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  17:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think McCain is going to win. But then, I know nothing.

Yesterday I worked a 10 hour day, took a practical exam (had to informally assess a non-compliant child while being adjudicated by two therapists - stressful!) and drove 120 miles. I am a bit tired. But it's all good, because the next time I set foot in a speech and language clinic, I will be a fully qualified therapist! Hooray!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  18:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Bee!
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  20:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Now I just have to finish my thesis, write an essay or two, make a couple of presentations, sit an exam... and then that should be it. Then I finally get to fulfil my dream of becoming an unemployed speech and language therapist! (Seriously, there are NO JOBS.)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  22:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, Bee, you sound like me and teaching. There are NO JOBS here for teachers.

Well, I set the ball rolling and sent an email to the president of council to tell them I'm quiting my accounting job come June. I don't know if he'll read it by Monday with this being a holiday weekend, but the meeting is Monday night so they'll know by then. These old men are horrible so I know they'll give me a hard time. I dread that. I sat for an hour thinking whether I should actually send the email because now I can't back out of my decision, but it's sent and done with. It's not like quiting a regular job because everything is done by a council of grumpy old men who think local politics is everything. They'll complain about the expense of hiring me and then me quitting so soon after hiring. But I'll just have to toughen up on Monday and deal with it if they yell at me. I hate confrontation. But I'd rather quit then stay in it forever because I'm too scared to quit. I sent the email to two of the council members so it won't be a shock to everyone. Ack. I'll have a major migraine by Monday night.

I've had an eye tick for the past week. Really, it's driving me nuts. My sister used to tell me every time I had a twitch in my eye I was having a ministroke, but she was mean to me when we were little.

quote:
So is it snowing?

Yes, it did. No accumulation and it quit by morning, but we did have snow for the first day of Spring. More rain turning into snow is expected tomorrow. Hmmm. Evidently Mother Nature has not looked at her calendar.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/20/2008 22:22:12
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  10:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if they ask why you're quitting, tell them you hate the working conditions, bosses, and hours. That should be pretty clear. I can hear them now grumping about "young uppity women" being unreliable. Be prepared to tell them to shove it if you have to-- or at least tell them exactly how you feel. It might make things uncomfortable, but they may be quicker about finding a replacement.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  14:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, we've redecorated for the Spring! Is it pink enough for you?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  16:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep:)
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  09:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It snowed in London briefly today, though I didn't notice it. Still, at least here I have virtual Spring! :)

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  21:00:07  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pink is lovely. And we even need virtual spring even here in Georgia, USA. We're supposed to get some snow flurries tonight. Brrr.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  21:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quit. They surprising gave me no problem. I never thought I'd be so excited to quit a job. I told them June 1st so that means two more months. We have to go by months because we meet only once a month. But they may have a replacement for me so I'll be out of there in one month instead of two. How exciting!

It's snowing tonight. We're having the wierdest weather. Early in the day it gets into the 50s and then a few hours later we're covered in snow, then two hours after that it's all melted. Uhmm, Mother Nature, next week is April. Meh, it snows into April sometimes. Not usually accummulation, but its not unusual to have April snow. That's what you get for living in the north.

I have spent too much on heating oil this year and had to get it today. We ran out Saturday around midnight. Good thing we had electric blankets and a gas station was open on Easter. It gave us enought to get by until they delivered it today.

Is it me, or did it just not seem like Easter, yesterday. Maybe it was the snow, or it being so early, but I just wasn't ready for it. I didn't make candy, pickle eggs, or even get any decorations out. Next month I'll be ready for Easter.

Oh, PBS restarted the Jane Austen series on Masterpiece Theater and last night was the Kate Beckinsale version of Emma. I really didn't like it and I really wanted to because I loved Pride & Prejudice and Northanger Abbey and Manfield Park, but I just couldn't get into Emma. I do like the book and thought the Gwyneth Paltrow version was okay, but I'm really surprised I didn't like the BBC version. Next week is a new version of Sense and Sensibility. I never saw the Emma Thompson version so I'm going into it with a clean slate, so I have no idea what I'll think. I just wish I hadn't missed Persuasion. That's the one I really wanted to see, and I missed it.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/24/2008 21:31:19
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  21:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked it! I watched with my mom when she was here. Emma is NOT my favorite book and Knightly is perhaps my least favorite hero.. no, scratch that! Edmund from Mansfield Park is my least, by a long chalk. I kind of enjoyed the fantasy sequences - different but effective.

It was Easter here! We grilled lamb and swam in the pool after hunting chocolate eggs - how's that for a Holiday!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  22:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, pool swimming. Well, you could do that here, but you'd have to pick through the ice first. :P

We won't get into swimming season until June and then only until early September. We always closed the pool the weekend after Labor Day because the nights got too chilly and the water too cold. Plus, we were in school and didn't have time to swim. I miss my pool, but then think of all the upkeep and am fine without it.

Oh, I need some ideas. There is a contest and it uses this dollhouse kit:

I can make it into anything. It's designed as a shed. The winner gets $300 gift certificate. I wanted to make it into a theme bed/playhouse for a babydoll, but think it may be too big. Does anyone have an ideas? I have until Memorial Day to do it. There will probably be some shed entries, some playhouse ones, maybe a treehouse.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/24/2008 22:28:13
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*This is AMC speaking* Oh Heck!

Bee, I just managed to edit out your whole post replying to Jo, in which you said the ITV productions of Austen are inferior to BBC productions (and the "Emma" we saw was an ITV production). You also said you wanted to slap Marianne in S&S (see my reply below).

I am SO sorry - I meant to reply with quote and somehow I edited instead. Mea MAXIMA culpa and apologies all around.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - AMC on 03/26/2008 00:43:58
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  15:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would do the dollhouse kit in a Wallace and Gromit theme-- perhaps as an Anti-Pesto garage. Don't know why, but that's what it makes me think of.

We had a very nice Easter, cool and sunny without bugs. Too much candy though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  00:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee Said...
.. I've a bit of a love-hate relationship with S&S anyway. I always want to slap Marianne.

Oh yeah.. don't you just? Ever read Mansfield Park? I spend most of the book wanting to slap Fanny silly. I can NOT like Fanny Price or her Edmund and I'm damned if I ever understand what she saw in him anyway, except virtue... and they're both so virtuous you almost dislike them for that alone.

In order of preference, I like Austen's books:

P&P
Persuasion
S&S
Emma
Mansfield Park
Northanger Abbey

And the last two I can't say I've read more than twice each. But the first two.. oh my, I don't even want to guess.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Bee Said...
.. I've a bit of a love-hate relationship with S&S anyway. I always want to slap Marianne.

Oh yeah.. don't you just? Ever read Mansfield Park? I spend most of the book wanting to slap Fanny silly. I can NOT like Fanny Price or her Edmund and I'm damned if I ever understand what she saw in him anyway, except virtue... and they're both so virtuous you almost dislike them for that alone.

Oh, how I would love to slap Fanny Price. At least Marianne could take it with a bit of spirit and would probably fight back. Fanny would just cry. Ugh.

My order of preference is the same as yours, AMC, except I think I may have a slight preference for Emma over S&S. I've never wanted to slap Emma, even though I'm sure others have.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  11:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like AMC's list too, though the last two are a toss up to me. Slapping a spine into Fanny Price i very tempting. Though slapping Marianne has its appeal, I would save my effort for Emma. Her meddling is so terribly annoying. At least Marianne's behaviour wasn't calculated to manipulate others' lives. All she wanted was what she was lead to expect.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  17:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the green is OK with everyone. I've changed the background to more of a neutral for a while.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  22:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  23:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Green is always good!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  00:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I posted about an hour ago and it didn't take. Maybe I just forgot to hit the reply button.

I like the green, too. Very Spring-like. That's what I thought I posted before.

Is anyone watching American Idol this year? I hated it last year, but this year is pulling me in again. I do have my favorites and was actually excited about tonight's theme of Dolly Parton songs. Usually I hate the themes, but Dolly has written literally thousands of songs that have been recorded across all genres that it was a great songbook to chose from. The biggest guess was who was going to sing THE song, "I Will Always Love You," written by Dolly, made even more famous by Whitney Houston. USA Today called it the "the Voldemort of American Idol: He Who Must Not Be Sung" because in its seven years it's never been touched. Seyesha sang it tonight and did okay, but I love the stripped down, heartfelt version Dolly sings. She might be sent home because of it, but I think Brooke is leaving us. I hate that I'm sucked back into this show.

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/02/2008 00:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  13:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had a nasty little spamming git on here this morning using polyjuice potion to post under my username. Steps have been taken. Detention with Umbridge is in order.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  23:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure you're really you?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.