Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  14:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That whole Lexicon business is utterly depressing.

diri, I must say you're the first person I've ever known to wish he could sleepwalk! I hate to break it to you but it's really not thrilling at all. And it's only scary for the poor unfortunates who come across me wandering around all glassy-eyed. As for myself, I usually have a gut feeling when I wake up afterwards, along with a hazy recollection of doing something - so it's just more confusing than anything else. It could be stress-related, but I don't really feel any more stressed at the moment than I have done for the last 18 months. Still, it's a definite possibility.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  14:29:17  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

I was really hoping JKR would take the moral high ground over Steve Vander Ark. You know, "Oh my, how could it have come to this! It's all so sad and depressing!" But no. She is clearly, very, very, very, pissed off about this. The gloves have come off.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/docs/rowlingfeb27.pdf

Ouch Jo. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch.

Take that, you former fan!

Actually, this whole suit does have a lot to say for the fan community, which Jo points out. If she doesn't win, will it be possible for a fan community the size and variety of HP fandom to ever exist again?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  17:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up diri. I tried to post a new topic and it wouldn't let me either. We installed an anti-spam question on the registration page. I'm not sure why it is behaving this way. Will ask Mad-Eye.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  13:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the day off of work today. My dad badgered me into it. I had every plan to go in, but he said I needed one more day away from the rugrats to get better since this thing has settled back in my chest again. I'm doing okay, but it's just lingering forever. So he called me off.

I haven't been keeping up with the JKR/SVA lawsuit going on. I did read that the other day and wonder how it's all going to end.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  22:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mad-Eye says he thinks he's fixed the new topic problem. I'll check in a minute.

Is the pink against the green too much for you guys? Reminds me of fuschias which makes me think of my Daddy.

Checked and it worked for me. I posted a quote of Diri's oringinal post regarding the JKR vs. SVA under its own topic in the Restricted Ward as it pertains to future work.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  23:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the new background. I forgot to comment on it before. I like the pink and green. I'm on a pink kick for some reason and I'm not a pink type girl. I made a bedroom set this week for my dollhouse and it's painted pink and now I'm afraid it's too garish. I love it when I look at it up close, but at a distance I'm afraid it's too bold. I really don't want to repaint because it took me forever to get it just right, so I'm just letting it sit for awhile.

It was 60 degrees outside today! So weird to be able to sit outside in warm weather, but still see piles of snow on the ground. We've been in a cold snap forever and today is the first day above freezing in a long time. We went from having a low in the teens to a high in the 60s. Strange weather we're having. I went out with my copy of "Pride and Prejudice" and sat on the cold sidewalk, everywhere else is muddy or snowy, and read in the sun. I was hoping to get this illness out of me, or as my dad says "blow some stink off".

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  16:12:35  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the weather is very strange here in Georgia today, too, Jo. We got up in the high 60's for the last two days, but there is a chance of snow flurries tonight. That's a huge drop in temperature. But I'm looking forward to spring since it might help me finally beat this chest congestion left from the flu. Maybe the warmer weather will help you beat back the creeping crud, Jo.

And I like the background, too, Siobhan. I love coming here and seeing new colors and backgrounds. I was wondering what would replace the chocolate.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non

Edited by - sunsethill on 03/04/2008 16:13:45
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  23:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing can replace chocolate.

And as that is the wisest thing I will say all month, I will now relapse into silence.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  23:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't this the cutest little boy you've ever seen?

It's an icon I found on LiveJournal and he's so adorable! The other day I was somewhere with my dad and his girlfriend and a little red haired boy was near and my dad told her to look how cute he was and she said she hated red hair. She's said this before, but we ignore it. She thinks red-headed men are the most unattractive guys out there. I think she's nuts.

I'm still hacking away. I was reading up today on viral bronchitis and it said it can take up to four weeks or more to get over. I used to get bronchitis once a year when I was younger and it's a pain. This just isn't leaving.

Ooh, it's exciting with the PA Primary. We're one of the last primaries so our vote never counts. The candidates are always chosen by the time we get around to voting, but because Hillary and Obama are so close they're actually paying attention to us. April 22nd is Election Day. I will be sure to get out and cast my vote. In the end, though, I think Obama will get the nomination, but McCain will win the general election. Four-to-eight more years of Republicans, guys.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/06/2008 23:32:13
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  12:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obama's honeymoon with the press seems to be over, too. Things are getting reported now that were brushed under the rug only a few months ago. This is going to be the most interesting primary season in my lifetime. And regardless who wins the presidency, the general political climate in Washington looks to be swinging substantially to the left. McCain is barely conservative enough to be considered Republican (although they're trying to make him sound that way), and both Hillary and Obabma are left of the Democratic Party in general. At least the Ohio primary is over and we'll get a few months of peace before the big storm this fall.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  18:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my eyes dilated....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  18:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were you that shocked Obama won? Or are you referring to something else?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  10:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I went to the optometrist yesterday afternoon. The first drop in my right eye half-missed, so I got an almost double dose of the stuff as a result, that eye was open quicker and longer than the left. I also felt woozy for several hours afterwards. Good thing Husband drove. It needed to be done. I've not had the full glaucoma check in several years. Mum just had laser sugery on both of her eyes for glaucoma, so I thought I'd best be checked again.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's always amazing to me how a "little" thing like having your eyes dialated can make you feel so weird. So did you get a clean bill of eye health, Siobhan?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  17:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah! I'm fine, just geting old. I need reading glasses sometimes now-- you know, the kind you can look over to see distance and look through to see close up. The Dr. didn't give me a prescription for reading glasses (though she did write one for bifocals and left it up to me whether to fill it or not), but I'll pick up a pair of fairly weak ones at the drugstore. My eyes aren't that bad, really. They just get tired easily these days-- especially with all the pollen floating around here.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  18:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sick of wearing my glasses. I need them for distance and should wear them all the time, but I can't concentrate if I use them close up. So I take them off for reading and eating and other things. I'd get contacts but I have scar on my eye from cutting it a few years ago and I also have astigmatisms in both eyes. Yes, they do have contacts for that, but with the scar combined it would really be uncomfortable to wear them. I'd really love to have Lasik surgery someday. My eye condition is a good candidate for it, but I can't afford it at the moment. Maybe someday.

I'm quiting my accounting job. I'm quiting my accounting job. *sing-songs* I've decided enough is enough. It's not worth it and I'm going to tell them next week to find someone else. I'm being generous and giving them until June 1st because it will take a month to replace me because it's a municipality and everything is slow going and it will take a month to train my replacement. They're not going to be happy with me and I'll get some nasty comments, but I don't care. I have enough stress in my life without worrying about this job. I'm just going to tell them I've got another teaching job, which I sort of do because I've added tutoring to my list. Also, I've been working everyday in the Preschool, something I wasn't doing when I got the accounting job. Life's too short to do something you despise. If I wasn't working other jobs and didn't have to worry about money, this wouldn't be bad, but it's just not for me.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Careful about lasik surgery, Jo. It's not always the permanent answer people are looking for. It takes care of nearsightedness, true, but when you hit 40, your eyes start to go crazy and you may need glasses again. They change, and change back, and change again. I understand they level out again about 50+ to about 70 when cataracts often start.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:59:31  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ended up doing the bifocal thing, but I was already used to glasses so it made sense. I also can't do contacts, Jo, but because my eyes are too dry. Dear Hubby is making do with reading glasses he buys from pharmacies. Since he's never worn glasses, it's allowing him to get used to keeping track of glasses. It doesn't hurt so bad to lose a $10 pair than a $200 pair.

And it sounds like you've made a good decision for you, Jo. If you're not desperate for money, it's tough to keep going to a job you hate!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  01:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay Jo! Good decision - I'm sure you'll be sorry you DIDN't do it sooner once it's over with.

The antispam question thing is too funny!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  02:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a Girl Scouts cookie sale today at our local bookstore but there were Saint Patrick's day "events" going on so we sold very few cookies.

So.. excuse me if this steps on anyone's toes but I think some of you will find this amusing. We're in Southern Cal, it's not exactly close to Ireland. But we have a local Irish Dancing school (run by a woman with an Irish accent, can't say more than that about her heritage). So the young dancers did a St Paddy's day presentation. ALL of these girls - black, white, hispanic - are wearing these God awful Curly hair wigs - mostly a shade of Reddish blonde - that make them look like baaaad Shirley Temple imitators. They're dancing irish jigs and other step dances, which I have only a vague interest in, and their wigs are bouncing up and down identically in the sunlight, all I could watch was the bouncing wigs. The step dances require that you keep your upper body board-straight, it's not a natural or frankly, very attractive dance style. For professionals it's probably okay but on learners the really stiff upper body looks silly. Add on "traditional" costumes made of polyester and shiny lamé, bouncy fake hair and beauty-pagent make-up (red lipstick and blush on a 6 year old anyone?) and the whole thing approached a farce! I clapped for the dancers but my eyes were rolling. I just love fake cultural events.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  05:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah St Paddy's Day. Never really noticed it living in England, I have to say. Apparently there's a festival today with free Irish food. Black pudding and sheep's neck and potatoes in vinegar! Yummy!

Actually I like Irish stew, I just like seeing people's reactions when they find out what's in it.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  10:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good old Saint Patrick, the patron saint of green beer. Who needs real culture when you can have green beer?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  16:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - not sure what you mean, Diri, about Irish stew. I have two recipes, one of which comes from a cafe I loved in Ireland and neither has anything particularly odd in it.

Love the green beer drinking smilie, Pixie!

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  19:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ignoring St. Paddy's Day. Too busy. Ack.

quote:

Ah St Paddy's Day. Never really noticed it living in England, I have to say. Apparently there's a festival today with free Irish food. Black pudding and sheep's neck and potatoes in vinegar! Yummy!

Actually I like Irish stew, I just like seeing people's reactions when they find out what's in it.

Black pudding is utterly delicious. I just ate some yesterday - mmmm. I've never had potatoes in vinegar (unless putting some on my chips counts) or a sheep's neck... at least that I'm aware of. I'd never even heard of them as... you know... stuff people here supposedly eat. I should hand back my citizenship.

Also, what's in Irish stew (or, as I like to call it - "stew") that freaks people out? I've never made it myself - I just consume it - so I've never given much thought to its contents.

Oh AMC, aren't Irish dancing wigs the most ridiculous things ever? I just do not understand how plonking a mop on your head is supposed to enhance the dance. At least they're entertaining though, because the dancing itself often isn't.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  21:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad's girlfriend the other day remarked about St. Patrick's Day and my dad mentioned that we were mostly Irish, something she already knew, but forgot. Then she went into asking why we don't celebrate the day. First of all, the latest any of the family came over was 1816 so any ethnicity was lost a century ago. Secondly, we're not Catholic and it's largely a Catholic holiday, especially considering most Protestants don't believe or follow the Saints. So we know practially nothing about St. Patrick. And finally, I don't drink, so no green beer for me.

The area I live in is largely Eastern European, so I know more about polkas than jigs and eat more peirogies and halupkis than corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  23:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bee, I'm glad you think the wigs are ridiculous too! As I was typing, I was thinking - what if Bee's mum is a long-time step dancer and I'm insulting her family and friends? They do look like mops - or possibly the trophy scalps of some poor Lhasa Apsos.

I like eating chips with malt vinegar... or I did before I gave up fried food, sigh.. but I've never heard of cooking potatoes in vinegar either. Black pudding isn't just Irish, right? I know I've been served them throughout the British Isles and the Germans have something similar. I'm not a huge fan of any sausage, unless it's super spicy like Andouille and used as a flavoring, so I haven't eaten as much of it as I've been served!

I mostly drink my way through St. Paddy's day - Guinness is one of my favorite beers so I look forward to raising one or two tomorrow. I have to work Tuesday so it won't be a big celebration.

Edited by - AMC on 03/16/2008 23:10:36
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  06:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I'm ignoring St. Paddy's Day. Too busy. Ack.

quote:

Black pudding is utterly delicious. I just ate some yesterday - mmmm. I've never had potatoes in vinegar (unless putting some on my chips counts) or a sheep's neck... at least that I'm aware of. I'd never even heard of them as... you know... stuff people here supposedly eat. I should hand back my citizenship.

Also, what's in Irish stew (or, as I like to call it - "stew") that freaks people out? I've never made it myself - I just consume it - so I've never given much thought to its contents.

Oh AMC, aren't Irish dancing wigs the most ridiculous things ever? I just do not understand how plonking a mop on your head is supposed to enhance the dance. At least they're entertaining though, because the dancing itself often isn't.

My auntie Boo told me that the way to make Irish stew is to boil a sheep's neck in potatoes, onions, and carrots and add vinegar. That last bit might have been a flourish unique to her, however.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  07:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, my dad used never mention anything about using sheeps' necks, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Anyway, there's probably a few different traditions in different parts of the country. Sure that's the beauty of stew - you can just throw anything in there.

I haven't left the house in days except to go for walks, so I'm not sure what's going on with St. Patrick's Day this year. The church moved it so it wouldn't clash with Holy Week, and I think people are a bit confused as to when exactly the celebration's supposed to happen. My brother was out last night and said the town was very quiet, so maybe people celebrated on Saturday? And the parade's happening today, so it's all a bit higgledy piggledy. My mother even missed mass yesterday because they switched the times without telling anyone. Not that it makes any difference to me. I'm stuck in front of the computer all day. Again. *le sigh*

quote:
As I was typing, I was thinking - what if Bee's mum is a long-time step dancer and I'm insulting her family and friends?

Er, no. You're alright. Though I did take Irish dancing lessons for a few months when I was five. Never got to wear a wig though.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 03/17/2008 08:02:37
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  23:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The political race is heating up. I just can't see either Obama or Hilary winning the general election. They're going to tear each other to shreads so much that the Republican party will be handed back the race. And this from a party that before this Primary season had the election tied up. I have heard from a lot of Democrats, most of the people I know are Democrats, that if Hillary wins then they'll vote for McCain or if Obama wins they'll vote for McCain. It's not that they actually like McCain, far from it, but they hate the candidate they didn't vote for in the primary. This is very strange election.

Can you believe I'm still coughing? Seems this virus is lasting at least 6 weeks in people. It's just not leaving. Right now it's just an annoying cough, but the other day I woke up choking because of it. Now I sleep with water and cough drops next to me. A good percentage turns into pnemonia. Bronchitis alone takes 4-6 weeks to get over. I'm on Week 6 right now so hopefully I'm over it.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  10:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

The political race is heating up. I just can't see either Obama or Hilary winning the general election. They're going to tear each other to shreads so much that the Republican party will be handed back the race. And this from a party that before this Primary season had the election tied up. I have heard from a lot of Democrats, most of the people I know are Democrats, that if Hillary wins then they'll vote for McCain or if Obama wins they'll vote for McCain. It's not that they actually like McCain, far from it, but they hate the candidate they didn't vote for in the primary. This is very strange election.
I think Hillary was right when she said the optimal ticket would be both of them-- at least as far as the Democratic party is concerned. They aren't that far apart on the issues, so this is going to come down to popularity once again. I'm so tired of this kind of poooo. It would be nice if this could be handled in a mature way rather than resorting to playground antics.

Hope the cough disappears soon, Jo.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.