New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  06:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hallo - I'm back. Quite tired too, after a long drive in hellish weather. Ucky. Had a pleasant time with the Boy and sundry others, but realised that I found it quite stressful, to be the host. Didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. But still fun.

*falls asleep*

I am going to look for cached versions of HPG.

Jo! How bloody frustrating - but yay for the maths mark!

Everyone else: *waves wearily* I shall come back and chat properly... maybe on Thurs, if I get time. This week will be busy- work, my sister will be having her baby, dinner out a bit, some scary meetings, more uni and work! This sounds just about right:

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  13:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*refills Myf's cup with fresh tea*

Right, I'm off to Bulgaria then. I'll be back in two weeks. Have the kettle on - I may bring some Quidditch players back with me (it's been a while since we entertained any Quidditch players in the teashop, is it not?)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  14:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's AGES since we had quidditch players in here. Of course, they all ended up with Tsuki in dark corners if I remember rightly....

I'm quite looking forward to seeing Krum again in book 7. Jo said we'd see him again. Obviously I hope he will be in one piece.

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  21:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems I missed AMC's most recent case review.
It's the families it's hardest on... so sad.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  01:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! It's true! I'm BARMY!

And don't worry - my family has been aware of this for years and they're quite resigned.

GO Jo GO! Congrats on the Math results and good for you for refusing to have an extra $25 extorted from you to ensure the test admin folks do what they were paid to do in the first place. I'd call them every day the tests don't arrive - if they know the results already, they damn well should have had them in the mail by now.

It's HOT here and my watering system is broken - everything in my garden is dying and I haven't had time to hand-water. Tomorrow I MUST!

Was in N. Cal for a lovely weekend among the redwoods. Went swimming in the Russian River, ate dinner in a Hotel that's been run by the same family for 80 years and has been serving people since the mid-1800s when the railroads were laid to haul timbers to the burgeoning new city of San Francisco. Spent time showing my kids how to tell a redwood seedling from a pine and how to recognize poison oak. Good times.

Now it's back to reality. And tea. Arrr.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  06:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next week I'm going on a 3-day camping trip in the mountains with about a hundred junior high school second graders (8th graders to you fine folks back in the good ol' U.S. of A.). I'm a tiny bit worried about being in the mountains for three whole days without an escape, trapped in Tent City with a hundred maniacal 13-year-old girls. Kind of a "Blair Student Project" if you get my drift. Not the least because among these ordinarily sweet and cute and brilliantly intelligent children are some who harrass me shamelessly.

When I was young, it was my desire to be irresistible to women, and now that I'm older, for reasons that remain completely beyond this rather chubby, balding guy with thick glasses (I like to think I look a little like Drew Carey, and my kids (i.e., my students, I mean) think I look like Mr. Incredible ... I assume before he got in shape, because I definitely do NOT look like a superhero), and like I said, for reasons that are completely beyond me, I've become irristible to these 13-year-olds. Of course, I'm kidding, at least, I sincerely hope THEY are kidding, because I find their behavior somewhat ... disconcerting. I mean, really, let's all be honest. They haven't got a chance. I've always liked older women (Mrs. Crispy, being my favorite woman, is eight years older than me, and is catnip in human form ... me being the cat, you understand). Not to mention the fact that I've got ties that I bought, as an adult, that are older than these kids.

So my question to the tea-shop is this, did you ever tease your teachers shamelessly just to shock them and make them blush, or is this some kind of recent phenomenon? I mean, I might be able to understand it if I were a twenty-something guy with good hair, straight teeth and an active, muscular body ... but I'm not. I'm Dilbert, only not as smart.

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non
`Dark Puppy of the Apocalypse'
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  06:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teenage girls? Teasing guys mercilessly just for fun? What a concept! Seriously though, it's probably just goat-getting. But then again, you're nice, and you're smart, and you're an authority figure, so maybe they've just developed a little crush because they honestly like you. It's all OK whatever the cause. Just don't respond in kind.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 07/19/2006 06:29:52
Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry. I would NEVER respond in kind. They're just kids. Besides, these kids are like daughters to me. Really, they make me laugh and most of the time they're really cute, but sometimes I find them kind of creepy.

Of course, my first graders are just the opposite. They don't flirt with me at all. In fact, they're quite mean! We did a lesson awhile back on giving commands. I was giving them the usual stuff: stand up, sit down, open the door, sing a song. They were giving each other commands like: Hit Crispy! (they don't actually call me crispy. They call me by my name, but I feel weird using it at HPG 'cause here I'm 'crispy') Kick Crispy! Steal Crispy's pen! and so on. A couple of weeks ago, I wore my old glasses to school and their reaction was roughly translated: EEEEEEWWWWWWW! No way! Go back to the other glasses! But they're just teasing me. They're really great kids. I always tease them back by saying "Oh, yes! I'm laughing now, but later, I'll be crying!"

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non

Edited by - crispy on 07/19/2006 11:38:46
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're practicing on you, Crispy. They can't help it. To be honest, it's genetically programmed - although some girls get more of it than others. My 6 year old is a flirt already and it scares me what she'll be doing as a teenager. My spouse speaks of chastity belts and Convent schools.

Take it as a big joke, that there is no way there could be anything serious in it... and try to see it that way. That way you can keep your cool and not have to blush and fidget.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  13:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also take it as a compliment, because if you are the male teacher they wind up then it actually means you're worth bothering with in the first place. I was at a girls school and some of the male teachers were completely lost causes in the fun and humanity stakes. There was one English teacher that brought out our silliness - the whole class, and he was definitely the one who was the most interesting and the most willing to push us to do well.

I am so bad at summer. It was over 90 degrees here today. I work in an eighteenth century building that gets very hot in the summer - obviously being the U.K. we don't have air conditioning, so I spend a very hot day, before a having a 40 minute walk home. I hate having to peel off everything I'm wearing when I walk through the door and chuck it in the washing machine before I can disappear under cold water in the bathroom and relocate my brain. Seriously, I go very stupid in hot weather. All our computers kept crashing at work too, so we had a really unproductive day. I did do shopping on the way home now, so Ia m in serious-veg-out-mode for the rest of the evening.

Rant over, needed that

Hot Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  13:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixie are you posting madly somewhere? According to the list we are the only ones on the site, and I just got the flood control warning!

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  13:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's your own personal flood, Nuggy - you can't post more than once every 30 or 60 seconds.

I seem to be on "hidden" mode, don't know why.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  18:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
More babies in my family! :D

My sister had a little girl yesterday - her name is Amelia and she's just gorgeous. Everyone's thrilled.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  19:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

More babies in my family! :D

My sister had a little girl yesterday - her name is Amelia and she's just gorgeous. Everyone's thrilled.

Congratulations! That is absolutely wonderful! *Hugs*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  19:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Auntie Myf!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  22:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Myf and especially Myf's sister!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  23:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww. Being an aunt is wonderful. You can give the kids back when they get to be too much. You can't do that with your own kids.

Still no test scores. They're trying my patience.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  23:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Auntie Myf! Welcome to the world, little Amelia!

Sorry Jo - that's just plain wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  01:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Just popping in to tell you that Myf's computer is in the shop for the next week, so she'll probably be scarce around here.

Also, I'm off on vacation for a week starting Sunday, so I won't be around either.

Jo, you'd better have those test scores by the time I get back or I will be seriously annoyed with those people. >:(

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  07:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*plops on a poof*

Sorry I haven't been around much. Work's been stressing me out. A co-worker is off with back problems so I've been working alone for a few days, plus working extra days.

Congrats Auntie Myf! I so miss my nieces and nephews. I don't speak to my sister (and it doesn't help that she lives in Washington state).

We finally put the AC in the living room window. It has been soooo hot all week! And my poor dogs, they were panting like crazy.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun on vacation, Theowyn.

I'll be on vacation from July 25th to August 3rd.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  11:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like this place will be pretty quiet next week. Anybody else going to be gone?

I need tea, yo-ho!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  13:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not me, nope, I'll be here - possibly more frequently if Other Half's gastroenteritis turns out to be catching. Someone at the lab had it last week, Other Half spent the night in the bathroom, and when he phoned in today two other people had gone home ill. Does not bode well. I have bought extra disinfectant and two boxes of rehydration salts just in case.

Yay Auntie Myf! Amelia, huh? The name I chose for my sister, linking in nicely with our thread on I.R. at the moment.

I just typed 'moment' 'mooment'which I think it cool, and might adopt as my alternative spelling.

Another hot one here, but there is rumour of storms on the way. I love thunder.

Newguise xxx

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  15:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thunder is OK, but the flashy burny stuff isn't so great. A man who lived around the corner from my in-laws was struck by lightning Sunday. He was out gardening and didn't think about the danger. Sunday's storm was something else. I heard some of the thunder and didn't want to be on the porch, even.

Hope you don't get the bug, Nuggy, but I do hope you'll be around the Wing. I'm just playing today. Daughter is still at Karate camp and I don't feel like doing anything-- well, I'm doing the laundry and playing here...

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  00:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Madam Puddifoot? I say, Madam Puddifoot! There's something in my hot water, Madam Puddifoot! Some vile cretin has put a bag of dirt in my cup of hot water and it's turning my water a very impolite color! I say, Madam Puddifoot! What do you intend to do about it? There's a bag of dirt in my cup of nice clean hot water and it's ... it's leaking. Drink it? Surely you're joking! I will NOT drink this ... this filthy yellow ... WAIT! Don't turn your back on me! Mrs. Puddifoot! Mrs. Puddifoot!

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  03:49:00  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A bag of dirt? Do you have Jack Sparrow's dirt? Give it back!

I'm at day camp this week--tomorrow is the last day--but it's a long one. The little kids go home at the regular time and the rest of us stay for the overnight. And we have to stay awake so the kids don't do anything stupid. You'd think after all these years, they'd quit trying stupid things, but no.

Anyway, I'll just take my cup of tea and toddle off to bed, as it's so late. I won't be back till I've had a reasonable amount of sleep on Saturday.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  07:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be here! My vacation isn't for another two months. I've taken 11 days off (Sept 18th thru the 29th). I'm planning a mini vacation with my sister. We're going down to Green Bay, WI for a couple of nights. I've been surfing the different sites looking for hotel deals. I've narrowed it down to Days Inn or Comfort Inn. Days Inn is cheaper, but you get a better breakfast at Comfort.

Eeyore, don't you mean Captain Jack Sparrow? You have to have the Captain in there or it's just not right. Speaking of him, I finally got around to seeing Dead Man's Chest on my day off. Totally loved it. I kind of want to go see it again, but I doubt I'll get around to it.

I think I'll just have a nice cuppa chamomille and head off to bed.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  15:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My scores are finally in -- 14 days after they should have been. I passed! I got a 720 and had to have a 560 to pass. So now I have to pay an addition $80 to the state to file for add-on certification.

I have an interview for an elementary job on Tuesday. There has been a long-term sub in the retiring teacher's classroom all through the past school year. The regular teacher was out with health problems. She's more or less guaranteed the job. They just have to go through the formalities of interviews. But at least it gets your name familiar with the district.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/21/2006 15:35:42
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  17:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Jo!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  17:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You did it! Congruatulations! *clinks glass*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.