Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  22:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Superbowl is over and I actually payed more attention to the game than the commercials. Odd, because I only watch the Steelers and even then my attention strays. But the Cheaters, also knows as the New England Patriots, have lost, boo-yah! Not that I'm actually a New York Giants fan, but so glad to see the Cheaters lose. It was a nail-biter clear to the end. It was also nice to see Ely Manning win one year after his brother did the same thing.

This chocolate background made me so hungry yesterday for chocolate that I had to make a big pan of brownies. I was jonesing majorly for brownies. The only thing they were missing was more chocolate. My father said I would coat chocolate in chocolate if given a chance. I'm not that bad, but I do love the stuff.

I thoughts go out to all of your loved ones, guys. I've been where you are with all the test and treatments and reports. They make so many inroads and advances with cancer treatment nowadays. We're all sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 02/03/2008 22:35:51
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  07:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheaters? I didn't know that. Guess I'm glad the Giants won then, even though I have no love for my birth town.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  11:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, have you missed the controversy? Spygate hasn't reached you? The beginning of the season the New England Patriots were caught cheating by videotaping the other side team. They've done a few other things, but they got their first, and second I think, round draft picks taken off of them, and a large fine. More is slowly coming about about overinflating the sound systems, which some others do, and other cheater tactics. Puts a big tarnish on their "perfect season." Plus, I just don't like Tom Brady. They were talking about if they should put an asterisk next to this years Pats team perfect regular season at the Hall of Fame because of the cheating since they did over the steroid scandal of Barry Bonds in baseball.

I am so sick of my accounting job. I hate it, and would give it up in a second, but there is nobody else to take it. Wah. I was told it would be 20 hours a month, but it's more like 20 hours a week. Definately not worth the time or money. Big problem is I live in very small borough with less than 500 people and nobody else wants it. That's the only reason I took it to begin with. I'm going to start to put out feelers of anyone who wants an accounting job. One thing I've learned is I never want to be involved in local government. If I ever decide to run for anything I hope someone would clobber me on the head.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  12:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, that actually sounds like the kind of job I'd like. I'm getting so bored with my banking job. It was enjoyable at first, because I get to see and talk to many people from the community that I wouldn't otherwise. That's why I took the job in the first place. I was going crazy being a stay-at-home mom, but didn't want a job with too much stress (I get enough of that at home). But the banking job is boring, boring, boring. It doesn't require much brainpower, only the ability to go through the same motions again and again and again with absolute accuracy.

If that's not bad enough, we just hired in new teller ... She is 25 years old and she CAN'T SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH. Every other word that comes out of her mouth is "like," and every fourth or fifth word(s) is "or something." No exaggeration! And she is stationed right next to me. I swear that by the end of a day working with her my head is ready to explode from the effort of translating her teen-speak babble into actual functional English.

She is really a nice girl, and smart enough, I think. And she's trying very hard to learn the job. But her spoken language skills, or utter lack of them, spoils everything, from the professional image she is trying to project to her ability to communicate with the customers and help them with their problems. Sometimes I just want to grab hold of her and scream "Learn to speak like an adult, d---n it!" I guess it's fine for high school and university students to speak that way, but once a person gets out into the real professional world, it just sounds ... stupid.

Or perhaps I'm just a stodgy old crumudgeon who needs to lighten up.

Off to find some chocolate ...

Edited by - n/a on 02/04/2008 12:22:13
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  14:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixie, I agree with you, and I hope that doesn't make me a curmudgeon. Is it really so hard to speak proper English in the workplace?

Hooray for... the New York people! I know nothing about the Superbowl, but I love New York. I actually know a teeny tiny bit about baseball thanks to a bunch of teenage boys I worked with over there last summer - enough to know that the Superbowl is NOT baseball anyway. And also enough to know that if I don't support the Mets, the good people of Long Island will hunt me down and make me suffer. But as for American Football... I've got nothing.

I am exhausted. I'm commuting a three-hour round trip to and from placement each day, which isn't really that bad (I've done four before), but because I'm a student and constantly being monitored and evaluated, I'm on edge every second of the working day, so by the time I get home I'm shattered. Too bad I've got a bunch of session plans to prepare for tomorrow. *le sigh* I'd better get going, I suppose.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  20:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pesky, if you want to commute to PA you can have my job. It actually wouldn't be so bad, but I have two other jobs on top of this one and I'm just burnt out. Majorly.

Bee, baseball is definitely different than football and a much better sport. However, we support the Pirates even though they're the same caliber team as the local little league. We haven't had a winning season in 17 years. Kind of like the Chudley Cannons of baseball. We have no hope of getting better, either. I haven't been to a game since they built the new stadium a few years ago. We go to the local minor league games now. They're much cheaper, better parking, and closer.

I need to paint my bedroom. I'm leaning toward a shade of blue, but don't know. I also want to redo my closet so I can turn it into a craft closet. Everything is scattered and lost in every room of the house and it would be nice to organize everything.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  03:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah baseball. I'm getting into it at long last. My "little brother" (my ex-stepfather's son) is a rabid baseball player, and his pee-wee league team are bruisers, let me tell you.

Well I feel better now. I didn't know until days before that I was eligible to vote in the primary, so I didn't have time to register. However, the London contingent voted 5-2 for Obama, so things went my way anyway.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  23:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I've been MIA for a bit but I'm popping back in. Loooove the chocolate background but... it does make me want to go get some chocolate! NOT what I need - another reason to eat chocolate!

Jo, if you haven't - check out
www.easyclosets.com

They are da BEST - you design your closet online, save your design, edit it to get it perfect and when you're ready to order - it arrives at your doorstep in a few days, literally. And it's perfect - they do a really good job. Very easy to put together and install, all you need is a drill for the wall anchors. I've used them twice and been very happy both times - the design tool alone is worth visiting the site because you can "play" with possibilities.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  01:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat site, AMC.

I have been preoccupied with Masterpiece Theater on PBS for the past month. They're running all the BBC adaptations of Jane Austen's novels. I missed the second half of Northanger Abbey, but I got in Mansfield Park. Last week was a biopic about her that I didn't watch, favoring the Superbowl instead, but this week was the first part of Pride and Prejudice. *sigh* The show cut off just where I quit reading, so I picked out my book and want to read this week in preparation of next week's continuation. I laughed because I'm in one room watching Masterpiece Theater and my dad is in another room watching a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

My birthday is this week. Birthdays really lose their excitement after you turn 21.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  08:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been watching Masterpiece too! I've never seen the BBC version of "Pride & Prejudice" all the way through before. It seems to be very well done.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  10:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stumbled upon it last night right at the scene where Lizzie refuses Mr. Collins-- one of my favourites.
"Lizzie a sad choice lays before you. From this day forward you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins-- and I will never see you again if you do."

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  10:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next week is the rest of "Pride and Prejudice", then "Sense and Sensibility" the following week, and the following week "Emma". I've seen the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma, but not the Kate Beckensale version. I have to admit from previews that the BBC version of Emma doesn't have an attractive Mr. Knightly. But then I didn't think Jane Bennett was the raving beauty that she's supposed to be in the movie. But that's just my opinion. Otherwise, it's a fabulous movie.

I haven't seen the Keira Knightly version of P&P. I want to stay away from it until I'm done reading and watching. I've heard fantastic things about it, but usually from people who haven't read and love the book. I don't like Keira Knightly so I just can't imagine falling in love with the film. She just doesn't seem like Lizzy Bennett to me. Also, how can they effectively cut it down to two hours. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  12:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The newer verion of P&P seems to be a "love it or hate it" affair. It's a much more modern interpretation that tries to downplay the stiltedness of the society that Austen was writing about in order to make the love story more accessible to modern audiences. In that sense, it focuses far more on feelings and moods, and is missing a lot of Austen's signature wit and social commentary which traditional Austen fans love so well. It's also a bit historically inaccurate regarding the period dress and manners -- which seem to be perfect in the BBC version.

To me, the style of the 2005 film is much more Impressionistic than British Regency (the score especially), which is an anachronism that takes a bit of getting used to. But it is a gorgeous film, and the feelings and moods it does explore are done outstandingly. Like the dance between Lizzie and Darcy at Netherfield ... how they suddenly were so aware of each other that they became the only two people in the room. And how Mr. Darcy's hand "tingled" after her helped Lizzie up into the carraige. These moments, though not traditional literal Austen, made the film for me. And Keira Knighley was surprisingly good too, dare I say it. Many of the other supporting case (Judi Dench for one) are wonderful. So I actually quite liked the film despite its obvious weaknesses. It may not be a literal interpretation of the novel, but then it's not as prosaic as the BBC version, either. Both are enjoyable in their own way.

Edited by - n/a on 02/11/2008 12:35:33
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  16:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I wrong for really not liking Kiera Knightley? I don't find her either a very good actress or particularly attractive. She's one of those clammy British girls like Julia Ormond or Kate Beckinsale who seem to radiate cold from their pale, undernourished skin. She has exactly one facial expression; a slightly affronted irritation at the fact that she has to look at you. She doesn't really have any range beyond "Oh really?" smarmy poshness.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 02/12/2008 04:33:03
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  17:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a KK fan either, diri -- her performances usually irritate me. P&P is the only film I've ever much enjoyed her in.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  18:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, Diri, you're forgiven for not liking her. I don't like her films or how she comes off in interviews. The only film I didn't mind of hers was "Bend it Like Beckham." I wasn't even a big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Maybe after I'm done reading I'll give the newer P&P movie a chance.

I really never like movies if I've read the book. The best adaptation I've ever seen is Kevin Sullivan's "Anne of Green Gables". His first movie was absolutely perfect. Even the second was great even though it combined two or three books, but the third movie was horrible. I hated to dislike it since the first is one of my top favorite movies of all time (and book). He's making another retelling of the original book that's due out either later this year or next year. I just can't imagine anyone else playing Anne, Diana, or Gilbert. And Colleen Dewhurst was Marilla.

One movie I abhored that I read the book first was "The Wedding Date" with Debra Messing. It was adapted from the Elizabeth Young chick lit book "Asking For Trouble" and while the book was a fun read the movie was horrible. They changed so much that it was almost unrecognizable.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  05:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Pixie hit the nail on the head regarding the Keira Knightley P&P film versus the BBC miniseries. I first saw the miniseries in my early teens and fell madly in love with it. I've watched it several times since then and I'm still not sick of it. I went to see the P&P film when it was in cinemas, and was completely determined to hate it, particularly because I was outraged that Keira Knightley (who I dislike for the reasons diri mentioned) was going to play Lizzy. But she really is surprisingly good in the role, and I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the film, even though I still don't think it's a patch on the BBC version. But that's just my taste. I think I've seen nearly every Austen adaptation BBC or ITV have ever done in the last couple of decades (though I missed Northanger Abbey - but I'll catch it again) - I love a good miniseries.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am scared. Very very very scared. I don't think I've ever been more scared of a youtube clip in my life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-C-wupe76E

Oh, and sorry for barging into the whole Jane Austen thing, but I think there are some things that will never cross the sexual divide.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 02/12/2008 08:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good old Crazy Tom Cruise - what the hell is he on about? And where did he get the shiny shiny medal? It looks like one I got when I won a school sports' day sack race.

Not an Austen fan, diri?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  10:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't watched it because I have ancient dial-up, but he is quite scary. I remember reading about Scientology in College when I was researching stuff for a World Religions class. I'm sorry, but I can't follow a "religion" started by a guy who writes science fiction. I have a very open mind with it comes to peoples beliefs, be it Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and even Paganism. But Scientology is just odd. Really.

Today is a snow day. All the schools are cancelled so I have a day off of work. Good thing because I feel like crap. I'm getting a bug of some kind and I'm snowed in and I'm out of tea. The only thing I have to drink is water, which I know is good for you, but I'd like a little variety. I've given up pop, so I've been downing iced tea at work like mad. But I'm not leaving the house so I guess I'll drink water.

I think I'll go take a nap. It's either that or watch the snow fall. A nap sounds better.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  10:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Jo, you need a house elf to bring you a nice warm cuppa.

I remember as a college student there was a group that had an office on the Ave. They approached everyone with their "surveys". A friend of mine was curious and had an hour to waste, so she stopped. Afterwards, she warned everyone she knew not to stop because they asked increasingly personal questions and tried to get you to come to their meetings. Another friend of mine tried to get me involved in their group, too. Thank goodness I didn't get roped in.
I really think L. Ron Hubbard didn't intend for Dianetics and his science fiction to become the foundation for a religion of sorts. Dianetics was a self help book. The science fiction was mediochre at best from the accounts I've heard. But, people believe all kinds of strange things when they are searching for answers. What is scary is how many people turn away from more traditional religions and toward Scientology for those answers.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, Siobhan, L Ron very much intended his works to become a religion. Maybe not at first, but by the end of his life he was living the life of Croesus on his big boat waited on hand and foot by willing slaves. He once said that he was fed up with writing, and that the real money was in religion. Guess he was right.

As a concept, split from all the Xenu guff, Dianetics isn't really any weirder than Freudian psychology, but nowadays even Freudian psychology isn't held in the esteem it used to be.

I would say that I'm not an Austen fan, bee, but no less. I don't mind Austen, nor bare her any ill will, she's just not my thing.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  00:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a huge Austen fan and I like Keira Knightly too! So I loved the 2005 P&P adaptation. The costuming liberties annoyed me but then I just figured, well - to each their own. The styles may not have been accurate but at least things got dirty. In P&P (book) the Bingham ladies criticize Lizzie for having her petticoat 6 inches deep in mud after she's walked to see her sick sister Jane but in most Austen versions everything is so incredibly clean you wonder how the servants manage. I even liked the 2005 Darcy after a while - he took more getting used to than KK as Lizzie.

My sister once filed out a Dianetics personality survey using our dog's supposed replies (our dog at the time was a nasty, bossy and stinky Lhasa Apso). When they called "Jessica" to have her come get her evaluation my sister actually went in to get it. How she lived through being given "her" evaluation results when all of the responses must have said she was a self-centered and piggish idiot, I'll never know.

Edited by - AMC on 02/13/2008 00:17:30
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  03:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno. I've always preferred Kate Winslet. Even when she was the same age as Kiera. I just always felt she had more talent. And she did better Austen movies. In ten years, if Kiera pulls off her own Eternal Sunshine, then colour me bad. But until then, natch.

There's some really scary rumours going around about why Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg aren't working together any more. Apparently Cruise started lecturing poor Kate Capshaw about how she needed to inform her husband of her location and who she was with at all times, which sent Spielberg into a raging tailspin. Later Spielberg mentioned to a friend that a doctor he knew proscribed mood altering medications. Tom overheard, and within a week the poor guy had Scientologists picketing outside his office. Once Steve cut Tom off, his kids started meeting anonymous people in the street telling them that their mother was a bad influence and was supporting dubious charities.

Good on Steven though for standing up to Scientology. And China too! That guy's got principles.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 02/13/2008 04:08:47
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  05:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
diri, I much prefer Kate Winslet as well. I love her in everything I've seen her in. She's amazing.

Keira is slowly growing on me though. I liked her in Atonement. Can't see her ever reaching Kate Winslet's level of all-round fabulousness though. I'd probably think she was alright if only she would stop with the self-conscious pouting - it really takes me out of her performances.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 02/13/2008 05:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's not slowly growing on me. The more I see of her, the more I dislike her performances. I guess it's just personal peferences.

Did anyone watch Ace of Cakes yesterday on Food Network last night? They were reairing the Hogwarts cake they made for the OotP movie premeire.

In middle of a snowstorm our waterline busted this morning. Last month the water pump died and we had to get a $300 pump right before Christmas. Now we're without running water until we can get the frozen ground dug up and the pipe repaired. Oh, the joys of living in an ancient house in the country. Plus, we need to get oil which will further bankrupt me. I'm sick of it and need a vacation.

My cold has turned into a sore throat. I didn't sleep well last night.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Jo it sounds like you need a hot toddy rather than tea. You can make one without water, too. While you've got snow, we've had 70* weather. The azaleas are blooming already and the wrens are collecting nesting material. It appears they have chosen my gazebo as their springtime abode. It rained last night, but not nearly enough to do any good as regards the drought.

I'm not a fan of Kiera Knightly. I've never seen her act. The recent P&P film did not interest me in the least, so I didn't see it-- same with that biopic.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  19:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second installment of "Pride and Prejudice" is on tonight. Don't miss it. I was looking through the website and I swore I saw the Emma Thompson version of "Sense and Sensibility". But it turns out I never have. I was getting it caught up with "Howard's End".

My cold has settled in my chest. This weekend was filled with my hacking cough. Everyone has it. I think it's a form of bronchitis or pnemonia. I'm so sick of being sick. I wanted to go shopping this weekend, but couldn't. I'd love to get a peaceful night's sleep for once. Seems this bug is lasting two weeks or more in most people. It just lingers. How fun.

Edited by - Jokelly on 02/17/2008 19:57:57
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  11:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's been going around here, too. We've all had it. Husband had the cough for months. He's only just got rid of it. Definitely take some remedies for relief. A friend's daughter caught it and the ex-husband, who had her for the weekend, didn't give her so much as an aspirin for the low-grade fever. Kid ended up with tracheal bronchitis, a week's supply of antibiotics, and homework from her missed school days.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  22:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to defend said ex, but aspirin won't help you avoid bronchitis. I don't give my kids anything for low-grade fevers, I figure the body does better left alone. If you've got bronchitis you do need antibiotics but otherwise, rest and fluids are the best approach. I reallylike using Mucinex (Not the supressant, just the expectorant) for coughs - it helps you to get the nasty stuff up and makes the cough easier. Too many people keep taking cough suppressant, thinking it'll make the cough go away but if you've got phlem in your lungs, the body will keep trying to get it up - which is good, otherwise you're risking pneumonia.

Jo, you sound miserable!!! I'm SO sorry. I'm with Siobhan - hot toddy. Are you still without water?

We just went skiing - how nutty is it that we crazy warm-area dwellers feel the need to go freeze our butts off for fun? But it was fun - 8 feet of snow is a good thing when you don't have to go to work each day and you get to leave it behind when you're done playing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.