Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  16:27:48  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad that was helpful, Siobhan. It's not easy, but getting a PET scan that is clear is great news. Having a positive attitude helps too. I know there were some recent studies that said it didn't actually matter, but it is definitely easier on the person having chemo as well as everyone around them if they are positive about it. It's stressful enough as it is.

I hope it all goes well for your mom. I'm sorry I didn't respond to your email around Christmas time. I kept thinking about your mom and all of you, but just wasn't good with getting any time to sit down and write anything.

I'm jealous of all of you who lost weight without even trying. I did that one summer--lost the 15 pounds I needed to lose but wasn't trying to lose and wasn't sure just what I was doing that was different. It stayed off for a while until menopause decided to change everything about the way my body processed food. I not only gained the 15 back but gained another 15. Now I'd just like to lose 15 or 20--forget the 30 that I should lose. I'm not happy with my clothes (or lack of those that fit), nor am I happy with the way I feel. But I just don't seem to be making any progress. I don't think it's what I eat as much as lack of exercise that is causing the problem. I'm just so not motivated.

Think I'll go have some more tea. (And it would help if all the fudge from Christmas was actually gone--what was I thinking when I made that second batch!)

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  16:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Siobhan! Hope the chemo goes well.

I'm bored with holidays. This is proof that I am never happy.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  10:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeyore! You made a second batch of fudge!!!! I threw out all my botched cookie dough after the holidays-- just didn't want the temptation. We've finally finished off all the cookies Mum made. I really don't want to gain back any weight that I lost.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  01:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan - our bunny died today. We're so sad. He was such a good little bunny - he looked just like your picture and he was such a good pet, very gentle and easy. I'm really going to miss him - I'm sure you understand.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about your bunny, AMC.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  14:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh AMC, I'm sooooo sorry! I know how hard it is. I've lost three bunnies over the years, and it is never easy. They make such sweet, funny, gentle, amusing companions. You doesn't realize how much a part of your life they have become until they are no longer there. Took me years (and many trips to the pet store that ended in tears and odd looks from strangers) to recover after losing Sniffer.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  14:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so hard to lose a pet. Sorry about your bunny, AMC.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  15:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww. So sorry about your bunny AMC; I hate it when bunnies die.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  16:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the sympathy - it's hard to explain sometimes how attached you get to your pets. We knew he was old, the vet told us this Fall he didn't have a long life ahead - but it's still hard.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  22:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mum had her first chemo this last week. Also had laser surgery on her other eye. What a week! She found that the chemo made her hands and fingers very sensitive to hot and cold. This coming week is a rest period.

So the primary is over. Obama won with 58%. Hillary was somewher in the mid to upper 20's. Now we can sit back and relax until the race heats up again after the conventions. We may actually be able to sit down to eat a dinner uninterrupted by phone calls-- for a while.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  06:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh right! I forgot you lived in SC Siobhan. I'm happy that Barack won in SC; if Hillary had got a coronation, it might have unified the Reps in Hillary-hate. But I also didn't want Barack vs. Hillary to become "black vs. female", and that seems to be happening with Barack's win.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  12:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's always been an issue, just not the foremost one. Here, where there is a majority black vote, it was more a matter of whether Obama was "black enough" (quote from the press, not me). The other aspect was trying to sway undecided black female voters to one or the other. My impression of the question was that some voters would vote for either candidate on the basis of issues, some would vote for Barack because they dislike Hillary, and the undecided might vote for him simply because he is black, or her because she is a female. So each candidate was attempting to capture those undecided voters by any means necesary. Hillary did herself no favours by trying to appear "down southy" to gain appeal. It just came off as faked. Whereas Barack seems to have pulled it off rather more successfully-- perhaps, in part, because people are not as familiar with him as they are with Hillary. When Hillary said one of her heros was Frederick Douglas, I just snorted. It may be true, but in the context it sounded like a gratuitous name dropping.

Edwards campaigned hard here, but didn't do very well. I wonder how long he'll stay in the race now.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  17:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know - he's the one token white male left for the Dems, so some people will still support him.

It's funny - California is one of (if not the) largest economic powerhouses in the Union. But we have zero political clout. Our votes scarcely matter. By the time the election gets to us, it's usually decided already. So we rarely get innundated with the election crap the way some other states do. Of course, partly it's our size that makes a difference - no matter how you try, you can't reachout to this many people on an individual basis, so they settle for rallies, press coverage and ads - lots and lots of ads.

Edited by - AMC on 01/27/2008 17:20:00
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  19:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a tip from the Quebecois; threaten to declare independence and take your economy with you. You'll suddenly find yourselves flooded with cushy inducements from your government.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 01/27/2008 19:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  23:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
It's funny - California is one of (if not the) largest economic powerhouses in the Union. But we have zero political clout. Our votes scarcely matter. By the time the election gets to us, it's usually decided already.

AMC, we're the same way in Pennsylvania. Although we've lost a lot of population we're still one of the major power states, dropped to number 6 in population, but our primary is so late in the year that everything is wrapped up and the parties have decided. But after the primaries we'll be so inundated with campaigning that it'll be sickening. I really believe we need a national primary. The elections would look a lot differently if this were the case.

You know what makes me mad, and I'm not even a resident, is that District of Columbians have no representation in federal government yet pay taxes and are American citizens. Isn't that why we fought the Revolution, taxation without representation? They're population is higher than the state of Wyoming, yet they can't get be representing in Congress. I understand the whole impartiality thing, but so many people are being cheated out of their rights as U.S. citizens. It sucks for them.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/27/2008 23:33:57
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  16:50:59  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And then there's Washington state that still tries to do things by caucus, which most people have never bothered to attend, including me. Even when my neighbor hosted one, I found something else to do for the day--years ago, can't even remember who the candidates were then. And we have a primary, but I don't think anyone cares much what we do--not enough electoral votes to matter. Now there's something I wish they'd do away with--the Electoral College. Just count the votes and let that be what decides who the winner is, for pete's sake.

Siobhan--about your mum. It sounds like they've given her the same drug that Terry had briefly. That tingling--neuropathy--gets worse with each treatment. After three rounds of it, Terry called the doctor and they switched him to something else. This one (with the neuropathy effects) is apparently something that is new and very effective, but the side effects are lousy. Along with the cold tingling thing, he started having leg cramps--and they weren't the normal kind that just cramp up and then relax or that can be walked off. They just stayed that way. But they should have told her that she can have something else if the side effects bother her too much. Just in case they didn't, she might want to ask about it though. There's no sense in being that uncomfortable. From the way Terry described it, that cold sensation was like having the nerves on fire--with pain shooting up his hands and arms. Definitely not nice.

Take care--I hope things are going better for her soon. The time will go faster than she thinks though. At least it did for us. It's hard for me to imagine that it was just a year ago that we found out and at this point we were still in the process of Terry undergoing all the diagnostic tests they did before they finally decided on how to proceed. It feels now like a year that was just totally out of place in our lives. Not one I ever want to repeat, but one that had some amazingly positive aspects as we look back, for both of us.

I was about ready to venture out and saw huge snow flakes coming down. They've been forecasting snow--and we've had some, though it hasn't lasted long. But I don't want to be out driving with all the idiots who can't drive if they see even one flake in the air (not to mention all the flakes behind the wheels of their cars). So, I don't know, maybe I'll make it to the store and maybe I'll just have another cup of tea.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  17:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tee Hee! Flakes-- see any around here? In the background maybe? People just have to look, don't they? Seems rather like attention deficit in some ways-- easily distracted.

Mum said it was snowing when she called yesterday. I've got to call her back and ask her about her week. She called as I was getting ready to leave for the karate studio. I can't remember which drug they started her on, oxy or oxo something, I think. I tried to write it down but she didn't give me a chance (she went on with her next months' medical appointments which I had to get). When I find out, I'll let you know.

Politically, I know the parties have to decide who to run, but the reality is that people get enthusiastic about one candidate, then they aren't nominated. When that happens they are all supposed to back the nominated candidate, but that's easier said than done. A lot of people simply lose interest at that point. I'm to the point of wanting to get it over with. The best part of the whole thing (for me) this year is that Bush cannot be reelected-- again.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  23:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talked to Mum. She's on Oxaliplatin currently. I told her to be sure to tell them any side effects she experiences. I guess she's on for 6 months total.

They've had snow off and on as well as sleet.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  16:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best of luck to your mom, Siobhan. If it means anything, we're sending lots of good vibes from here.

I loooooove the chocolate background. And I just got back from the grocery, where I walked verrrry slowly past the chocolate display and almost bought some, but didn't. Boy, do I regret that now!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  16:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to have not changed the other colours when you saw it, pesky. I just got in and online. Woooohoooo! This is making me hungry!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  18:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this background too!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least it isn't fattening!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, chocolatey!

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  15:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm, chocolate...

I'm pretty busy these days, travelling up and down the country from placement to college and back, while trying to get my research project off the ground in my spare time. I'm pretty much living out of my car at the moment. At least it's my last semester, so I have something to look forward to. Roll on graduation!

Best wishes to your mother, Siobhan. Hope the side effects from the chemo don't last long.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 01/31/2008 15:16:55
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  17:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oesophagus is a slithering snake of bile at the moment.

I am currently engaged in a journalism course to try and find some method of making an honest contribution to civilisation, something at which, for the last ten years at least, I have proven remarkably maladroit at accomplishing. Anyway, in an attempt to add at least one notch to my lifeskills bedpost, I conducted my first interview. I hated every minute of it. I was so nervous and apologetic there was no way the guy could take me seriously. I don't know what I'm doing. Just once I would like to find some form of employment that I am suited for, instead of trying to crowbar myself into the real world.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  02:44:57  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I think that is the one Terry had where he had similar reactions, so yes, your mom needs to let them know when it's more than she can stand and they will switch her to something else, more than likely. I think of her often and hope that she is doing well. I'm very glad that she decided to do the treatments, unpleasant as they are. As Terry kept saying, the scans that they do only show cancer that is very small, but when it shows it means there are thousands of cancer cells. So anything you can do to try to kill off any remaining cancer is a good idea.

Oh, Diri--a snake of bile? Erm, I don't think I really want to know, but was that in reference to the chocolate or the journalism thing? Or do I really want to know?

(I love the chocolate background, btw--but it makes me want to go open that package of truffles that I got as a gift at Christmas--and they are good ones, too.)

Anyway, Diri, back to the reporting. I think it's a real knack, that asking questions to get a story. Funnily enough, my youngest daughter would make a great reporter. I've listened to her when she talks with people, and she asks very personal questions in a way that never seems to offend or put people on their guard. They just answer away. And then she wonders why people confide in her. Well, it's because she has already opened that door. I told her once she'd make a great Barbara Walters, only better, because she doesn't come across as pushy at all, just interested in the other person.

So maybe that's the key--when you are doing an interview, try to worry less about how you feel and concentrate more on the person you are interviewing. I guess a lot of it depends on why you are doing the interview though. Getting information on personal interest stories would be fun, I would think, but doing a straight news story--on a fire, a robbery, a murder (though that could be interesting)--could be a bit of drudgery. For me, a boring thing would be to have to write about a sports event.

I only took one journalism class in high school and really liked it. I'm not sure why I didn't stay with it. Oh, wait, I know why. The teacher was good (I did actually learn a lot from him), but he was sort of creepy and spending more than one year with him was more than I wanted to do.

The one thing that I really liked, and something that helped me tremendously, was that we had to take the information from a news story and write it as though we were sending it as a telegram. Not something anyone probably has to do anymore, but that whole thing of just writing without being able to write it out by hand first and then copy and edit it was very good. No computers back then--typing and making mistakes meant that you either started over or had to fuss with the correction tape--too time consuming when we were meant to be under a tight deadline.

Maybe it will get easier if you do it for a while.

But one thing you do very well--and you've been doing it here for years now--is teach. Just reading your posts always improves my vocabulary, for one thing. And I remember some of the ones where you talked about English history, Arthurian legends, etc. Have you ever considered doing something along that line? Or does that just not appeal to you at all?

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  11:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteado f going for the real chocolates, go for the virtual ones on the Quidditch Pitch here. We have a game of bonne-bonne chance going.

Oooops, got to fly! Daughter needs lunch.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  13:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope both of your loved ones get better Eeyore and Siobhan.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  01:58:49  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Diri. Terry is doing very well. His surgery was last April and his treatments ended in November. So he is now on the back side of it, and has to go in for scans every 6 months or so--or whenever the doctor decides he should. He lost most of his hair before the chemo was done, but it's growing back nicely--something he's glad of. It's winter (and we are actually having a lot of cold weather this year), and he found out just how much even a little hair does towards keeping the head warm. He's never been much of a hat wearer till this winter, and now he has a collection. But thanks for thinking of us. It means a lot.

Totally unrelated: I keep hearing a lot of sirens, especially at night. I think the police must be setting up speed traps about a half-mile from our house. But it's rather eerie when they go on and on.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  09:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mum had her surgery in November and started chemo in January. She has 12 weeks on treatment (plus 12 weeks off). Luckilly that puts her into June-- less concern about colds, etc. and cold weather. Mum almost always wears a hat during the winter months, so I suppose she will have to have some springy ones. Perhaps I'll knit some nice soft ones.

Eeyore, they set up traps near us all the time. They don't usualy need to use the sirens to pull people, though. They set up a couple of squad cars plus an officer with the laser gun and make lots of revenue (mostly speeding tickets, some license/registration violations, a few open container busts). We have a through street nearby that is widely used to avoid an awful interstction and the traffic it involves. The speed limit is 30mph. I've had people pass me (in a no passing zone) because I was driving the speed limit-- through my own neighborhood. The county went one step further this last year. They put reflectors down the middle of our street and the one behind us. Now anyone who pays attention knows they can cut through our neighborhood to avoid the Intersection From Hades.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.