Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  02:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're doing New Year's cards this year... or perhaps President's Day cards...?

Congrats on the rain, SH - I am hoping the forecast holds and we'll get some next week!!!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And now I can find the time to finish addressing the Christmas cards. I know, they're late, but this way they won't be lost in all the deluge of Christmas mail, right?

Yeah, I got loads of catalogues right up to Christmas Eve. Problem is most of them were the same ones I'd received earlier. They just had different covers. Boy do I hate that. They would have been better off left as trees.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  14:15:47  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

We're doing New Year's cards this year... or perhaps President's Day cards...?

I'm seriously considering Valentine's Day cards. Actually, I think I have given up on cards and hope to just get out an email newsletter, but I have to have my son teach me how to scan the new family picture we had made so I can put it at the bottom of the letter. I am beginning to hate having to learn new technology. It cuts into my reading time.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  07:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We gave up sending Christmas cards a number of years ago ... My husband found himself unemployed at Christmastime and we were cutting back wherever we could. It was so nice to have one less thing to worry about (and pay for) at the holidays that I never resumed sending them. Bad of me, I know. I should really start sending them again.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  15:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least until the postage is $.50.

Happy New Years Eve, everyone!
Stay safe and watch out for those impared drivers.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  16:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year! Also, Happy 100th to Times Square in New York.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  00:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  07:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year to one and all! I hope you all have a great 2008!
Gimu
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  00:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year.. just a little late!

(It's still the 1st here)

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  18:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year... just a little bit later!

I got back from Brussels yesterday. I had a lovely time catching up with friends, but Brussels remains as boring as I remembered from my last visit. Also, I came down with the winter vomiting bug while I was there, so that didn't do much to endear me to the place. I still had fun though, at least for the first half of my trip.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  00:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year everyone!

I love how you Europeans talk about going to foreign countries like nothing. If I get to West Virginia or Ohio it's considered something to talk about. Of course, I can drive for 6 hours and not get out of my home state of Pennsylvania.

I had to get heating oil the other day. I am now broke and want to cry. I guess it's my punishment for living somewhere that needs the furnace to run 9 months of the year.

Oh! I've lost about 7 lbs. in the last few weeks over the holidays and didn't even try. I have no idea how it happened, but I have been working more than usual so maybe I've been forgetting to eat. But I have been downing the pop like mad. At Christmas, I was commenting how I had to go in two notches on my belt and I thought my belt was stretching. My neice said, "Maybe you're just losing weight." My response was the belt was probably more likely to be stretching. But then I stepped on the scale and the numbers were down. Now I only have a whole bucket load more to lose and I'd be at my target weight. But then, I'd hate to be the 107 lbs. that I'm supposed to be, but I would like to drop some more weight.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  01:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Jo - I'm trying to think about how much I really want to weigh. About 6 months ago I started eating healthier and exercising more just because I knew at my age I should.. and I've dropped 20 lbs. I'm planning on continuing on as I have been, it's much better for my health, but I don't want to weigh MUCH less than I do now - because I don't want to get into that cycle of "OMG, I ate badly over the Holidays and now I've gained weight!" neuroses. I'm not thin at all but I'm okay with how I look and how much I weigh - if I stay this way, I'm fine. I've never been a yoyo-er, in part because I've never dieted. I lost the weight because I changed my habits and I like that - I just don't want it to go too far! So it's a funny situation - it's hard to describe to some people why you might feel ambivalent about losing weight! Especially as it's been pretty effortless.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  06:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I love how you Europeans talk about going to foreign countries like nothing. If I get to West Virginia or Ohio it's considered something to talk about. Of course, I can drive for 6 hours and not get out of my home state of Pennsylvania.

Heh, it's not nothing for me, though flights within Europe are generally pretty cheap so it's not as big a deal as it used to be for most people. I felt very jealous of continental Europeans when I was standing in a train station in Brussels and saw that I could hop on a train and go virtually anywhere on the continent, plus the UK thanks to the Channel Tunnel. We got chatting to a girl at the station who was popping over to Amsterdam for a quick visit - wish I could travel as casually and easily as that. Poor little Ireland is cut off from all that.

I've lost a fair bit of weight recently as well. It must be purely stress-related because it's certainly not down to diet or exercise. Now I'm smaller than ever thanks to my very special Belgian detox (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone!). It's a bit annoying really, because my clothes don't fit me properly anymore and I can't afford new ones. Not to worry though, because I'm sure I'll pile it all on again before too long.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 01/05/2008 06:15:19
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  16:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Bee - Belgian detox, indeed.

It is annoying - I had to buy all new pants and now I only have a 2 pairs I can wear to work. Since I never wear skirts, it's a pain but I hate spending money on boring clothes...

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  22:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a weird episode a few minutes ago. My couch has three cushions. I was sitting on one end reading a book, my dog was laying on the middle cushion sleeping and nothing was on the third cushion. So the dog lifts its head, looks at the empty couch cushion and starts growling. Normally, she doesn't do this and at first I thought the cat had just jumped up and she didn't want him near her. But the cat was across the room sleeping in the chair. So she's growling at this empty space and freaking me out. I see nothing, but she's really upset. I've always known there are spirits in this house and the dog and cat have been known to stare into this corner of the room at nothing. So it wasn't shocking, but I did get a little weirded out. Especially since I'm home alone. Earlier I felt something in the room when I was on the computer, and I can feel it right now as I type, but I've never seen anything and I told whatever it was I don't want to see it and to go home and follow the light. Usually they just hide things around the house, but evidently this one wanted to take a rest on the couch with me and the dog. At least I don't see them. My sister sees a little girl in a pink dress in her house at night and she tells it to go bed. My neice used to see a man in a suit. Her house has been in the family for generations so it could be anyone. Maybe we're all just nuts.

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/06/2008 22:29:00
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  02:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that you told it to follow the light, Jo. I'd be pretty wigged out too. In fact, I'd take the dog to bed with me.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  21:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, oddly my reaction was giggling while I phoned my sister. I wasn't scared, just a little freaked. No paranormal experiences today so maybe it followed my advice.

Something else odd happened to me. Today while I was getting ready for work I get a call from a school district I interviewed this past summer, the one that sent out the rejection dated before the interview, and the principal left a message on my machine. So I called him back during naptime at work (Yes, my work has naptime But it's for the 3 and 4 year olds). Seems the person they hired has resigned and they're refilling it and wanted to know if I was still interested. I said yes, for sure. But then he asked if I wanted to come in and do some subbing for a few weeks while the interviews are going on. This is something I really can't do. I'd have to immediately quit my preschool job for the possiblilty of a full time classroom. But the classroom job is definately not definate and the drive for subbing is almost an hour. I just can't sacrifice my preschool job for just subbing. So I told him I couldn't on such short notice. He then went on to say they have to formally accept the teacher's resignation and then open the job up to bidding. He's going to contact me the first or second week of February. So we'll see what happens. I'm not getting my hopes up because it's not uncommon to be told you have the job and then the school board gives it to someone else in the end. I also don't know how many others are interviewing. But it would be a really nice birthday present to get a permanent job with benefits. So keep your fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  00:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this the tech-job you really wanted, Jo?

Good call on the subbing - quitting a "real" position with no notice because another school made a poor hiring choice and then having no guarantees on the new job is really a bad idea.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  00:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, AMC, it's an elementary technology teaching position. I do wonder why the other person resigned because nobody gives up teaching jobs in PA unless they either move, die, or retire. They're so hard to get in the first place. We'll see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  11:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this situation I think you are wise to be cautious. When you consider the way the hiring was handled in the first instance and that they are basically lining up something of the same nature... well, it just seems fishy to me. I understand that they have to at least go through the motions of application and interview, but it rubs me the wrong way that they are doing this when they have the position filled. Basically, they are wasting the applicants's time.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  22:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, peace and quiet. Today has been busy. Daughter turned 11 this morning. We've been on the go all day long.

Mad-Eye rewired the telephones this morning while the rest of us went antiquing. Our service has been going on and off (mostly off) for the last couple of days. Knology came out and replaced the box Monday. Quick fix, but the phones went off again five minutes after the guys left. Tuesday, I sat down at the computer, checked the phone, surfed for about fifteen minutes and the phone rang (gave me quite a turn). After I rang off, I checked the phone and it was still working. Then the repair guy drove up. Phones worked fine at 8:20am (yes, a client called forty minutes before office hours), but by 10:30am was off again. That's when Husband decided he'd had enough. He installed all new wire so that no one could blame further problems on shorts in the old wiring. On the plus side, I got a chocolate set and a rabbit charm.
After all of that, we went to the SC Aquarium downtown. *whew*

Mum and Dad are flying back to the PNW early tomorrow afternoon. After that I've got a ton of housework to do. The last of the Christmas stuff needs to be put up as well as all the laundry washed, etc. Where's a house-elf when you need one?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  10:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Siobling!

Been off the grid for a while for various technical reasons, but back now. Suffering from serious jetlag, but now that my internet connection is back up my house feels like a home again. Bit stressed out; I have a lot of commitments to sort out but am crushingly tired after a hellish plane ride so am considering taking the day off to recover.

Note to US-ers: do NOT accept a flight connection through Chicago OHare. Just don't.

I arrived at Chicago OHare three hours late, courtesy of America's antiquated air-traffic control system. Upon arrival, I found that not only had I missed my flight (which I expected) but that my connecting airline had closed up shop and wouldn't be back in til Friday (which I did not expect). Thankfully, American Airlines were generous enough to offer me a later flight (20 hours later, with a cut-price hotel accommodation offer included! Wow! Like a second holiday!), but suggested I try for a standby on an earlier flight. I tried, and, by some miracle, I got on the flight. My bag didn't of course, so I have to wait for it to turn up.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  11:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about your bad flight experience, diri. Hope your trip was pleasant otherwise. My husband flies all over the country all the time (currently on the east coast) and he runs into delays or missed connections from time to time too, mostly due to bad weather in another part of the country delaying the plane his flight is supposed to use. Fortunately, I'd say that at least nine out of ten times he's on time. He does dislike O'Hare, though, and Atlanta also. As for lost bags, that's only happened to us a couple of times, and in our experience what happens is that in the middle of the next night you hear a car door slam and a "thunk" on your doorstep, then you check and your bag is sitting there. Glad I don't have to fly very often.

2007 must have been the year for shaping up and losing weight. I didn't really try either, but thanks to a new work schedule plus cooking healthy for my father-in-law who just had heart surgery, I lost nearly 25 pounds myself. That's actually a bit more than I'd have liked (fifteen would have been ideal), but I'm still within the healthy range and feel great (though less curvy), so I won't complain. I did put some back on over the holidays thanks to all the yummy food, but even that's gone away now. Like Bee, my problem is that most of my good clothes don't fit anymore. I'm sure the moment I buy new, my body will decide that it doesn't like this new shape either, and then I'll be stuck with a bunch of too-small clothes, which is expensive and depressing even if you do like your body just as it is. I did break down and get get a few new pairs of pants for work; we'll see how that goes.

Happy belated New Year to everybody! The weather here's been interesting. Thaks to the la nina-effect jet stream, the temp on Monday was 66 F. We had the doors and windows open, which is unheard of in early January. We'll get our share of snow yet, though, I'm sure. I love it when the neighbor kids build a snow men -- they're hilarious. I think they get their ideas from Calvin & Hobbes. It makes my day.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  13:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never fly through Chicago or Denver if I can possibly help it, especially in the Winter time!

Pixie, I could probably lose another 30 lbs before I lost any curves! Even then.. not sure I wouldn't just end up more curvy. I bought a new pair of exercise pants from Lands End, they arrived yesterday but I need to send them back - they fit okay in the hips and length but the waist was 3 inches too large!!! These are stretch pants, they're supposed to fit closely! I'm not exactly tiny waisted (or huge-hipped) but somehow my proportions and the LE fit are not in sync.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  14:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like their yoga pants. They are the perfect weight for Spring and Summer here.

I too seem to have lost weight without really trying, which is a first for me. I guess I can put it down to eating more protein, less fast/fried food, and adding new forms to my tai chi. Some of my favourite dresses no longer fit and others fit better than they used to. I've had to hem a dress recently that used to fall just above my ankles, but now drags on the ground.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  01:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weight loss is weird. Some people lose their curves, others don't lose anything in that area. I'd love to lose about 20lbs and hope some of it comes off my upper curvy region. I could do with being less. I'm going to have to force myself to exercise more. I'm jealous of some women who can wear strappy shirts and dresses in the summer. Even when I was skinny, I couldn't get away with wearing those. Of course, a lot of those women probably wished they were more curvy themselves.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  12:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I got dressed for work this morning, looked in the mirror, and thought my sweater was particularly flattering today. Then about halfway through the morning I realized I'd put it on backwards. Talk about taking the air out of my balloon. My sweaters look better backwards -- LOL!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  12:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! I have a t-shirt I wear backwards and it looks nice that way - sometimes that higher neckline is a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  13:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mum had her PET scan consultation with the oncologist Friday. The scan showed no further signs of cancer. I guess Dr. King got it all with surgery. Soooooo, she is scheduled to begin chemo this week as a precautionary measure. I think the negative scan means they won't have to be so very aggressive with the chemo, though. I'm not sure how long the chemo will go on for, but I think 6 weeks treatment is "standard." They will follow a one-week-on-one-week-off cycle. Mum is sounding very positive about the whole thing, which is good. I was afraid she would refuse the treatment, but Eeyore very kindly sent her a wonderful email relating Terry's experiences. Mum is actually seeing the same oncologist (he came highly recommended -- by the surgeon too ).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  12:46:36  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Mum had her PET scan consultation with the oncologist Friday. The scan showed no further signs of cancer. I guess Dr. King got it all with surgery. Soooooo, she is scheduled to begin chemo this week as a precautionary measure. I think the negative scan means they won't have to be so very aggressive with the chemo, though. I'm not sure how long the chemo will go on for, but I think 6 weeks treatment is "standard." They will follow a one-week-on-one-week-off cycle. Mum is sounding very positive about the whole thing, which is good. I was afraid she would refuse the treatment, but Eeyore very kindly sent her a wonderful email relating Terry's experiences. Mum is actually seeing the same oncologist (he came highly recommended -- by the surgeon too ).

Such wonderful news, Siobhan. And isn't it neat that Eeyore was able to help!

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.