Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  12:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you staying in the US for Christmas, diri?

It's great to hear from you, Eeyore, but sorry to hear about Sarah and Chris. It must be difficult for everyone, but good for them for staying friends.

I'm finishing up for the holidays this Thursday, and I'm so excited. I'm looking forward to Christmas more than I have done in years. I think it's mostly because I haven't seen so many of my friends in months, and now I'm finally getting the chance to catch up with them. It's great too to be free from college, and to think that I only have one semester left when I go back.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  12:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

AMC, what kind of cookies did you make. I love cookies. I got stuff tonight to make ladylocks and creme wafers. Creme wafters are just little bites of heaven, soft and flaky with an icing filling. Ohh, I love them. But then when I eat ladylocks they're my favorite. Then I have to make cream puffs and a few batches of steamed pudding for Christmas. I also want to make some chocolates for work and some truffles.

We made...
Spritz
Rolled sugar cookies with icing
chocolate/butterscotch chips
mint chocolate crinkles
orange-lemon sour cream cookies
hazelnut creams
almond cookies
fruitcake cookies
magical bars

The last one was on of those recipes where you pour layers of fattening crap in a pan, cover it with evaporated milk and bake - surprisingly, they were good.

I had 3 friends over and each brought the recipes for 2 of the above, then we made 3, so 9 types of cookies total. We gave away cookies galore and still ate too many ourselves. A great time was had by all.

Yeep - Diri, they always make a huge deal of pending extreme weather, I hope it's all a bluff in your case - it frequently is. we were supposed to have a killer storm last week - they wanted peole near the burn areas to evacuate "just in case". It rained. And then it stopped. That was it.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  13:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, yeah, we had some flooding in the area. Downtown's Point State Park was submersed in water and a few other places. The river crested Friday, but we've had so much rain that they're probably up again. I live on a high hill from the river so the worst I ever get is water in the basement. If my house goes underwater then we should have built an arc. The flooding wasn't bad, just some roads covered. I was going down the road from my house that leads to the river and the creek the runs parallel was almost level with the road. But there really was no major flooding.

We're not having problems with tons of snow, it's the combination of precipitation with this storm. We're on the edge of it so one minute it's snowing, then raining, then freezing rain, then back to snow. It would have been better with just snow or just rain because everything is turning to ice. The wind is also really wicked. It picked up my dad's small greenhouse this afternoon and threw it across the yard. But newscasters just love to sensationalize the weather.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and you could have sworn these people were going to be snowed in until March the way they were acting! You'd think that people who live in the Northeast and used to snowstorms would not panic at the mention of snow, but they do. The most we were ever snowed in was a week and then you can just empty your pantry out of the stuff that you forget you have. I remember that week we were snowed in because we had a big warehouse club sized box of blueberry muffin mix. We were out of bread and so I made muffins every day for a week. To this day I really can't stand blueberry muffins.

AMC, were you singing the Cookie Monster song? Of course he doesn't sing it anymore because cookies are only "sometimes food". But to me cookies are all the time food.

*sings* C is for cookie, that's good enough for me

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/16/2007 13:40:07
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  15:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

We made...
Spritz
Rolled sugar cookies with icing
chocolate/butterscotch chips
mint chocolate crinkles
orange-lemon sour cream cookies
hazelnut creams
almond cookies
fruitcake cookies
magical bars

Oh wow, they sound amazing.

One of these days I'm going to learn how to operate an oven. And after that, the possibilities are endless...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  09:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Bee! Yes, you must. Ovens really are wonderful things when used properly.

I'm sooooo in the mood for Christmas this year. It's been a very rough autumn with my father-in-law's heart surgery and all the problems where I work. But everything seems to be easing up right now, and I'm just in the mood to celebrate. The tree's been up for three weeks, the outdoor decorations for almost two, and all the shopping is done. I only have a few more packages to wrap, and I'll do that later today after my last internet shopping order arrives. (Love that online package tracking!) The one thing I'm not doing this year is baking, because this year I don't have anybody to eat the cookies. Everyone at work is on a diet, my father-in-law can't eat them anymore, my Mom bakes better than I do anyway, and nobody at my house much likes sweets but me. So if I bake, I'll end up eating most of them myself. Maybe Mom will have mercy and send us over a small plateful.

I remember loving those magical bars when I was a teenager. We used to make them all the time in different flavors, and we thought we were great cooks!

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. I can't believe it's been that long ... time passes in a wink. We spent the weekend in Cincinnati gadding about eating and drinking (I was served gin and tonics by men in kilts!), plus we visited the aquarium and saw a show. Very nice. And my husband is still a hottie, if I do say so myself!

The kids are home from school today due to snow. Yesterday's storm wasn't as bad as predicted, but the streets are still pretty slick. Most of the adult drivers are used to it and can get around all right, but the schools won't take any chances with the busses and the teenage drivers. Being the parent of a teenage driver, I'm thankful! (So far, she's hit a hearse, a deer, and the garage door. Let's hope three is the charm. )

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  16:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, I've a specific question about the mint chocolate crinkles: where does the mint come in. My recipe for chocolate crinkles calls for vanilla and melted, unsweetened chocolate squares. Do you substitute mint for vanilla extract (and if so how much) or do you buy mint chocolates? I LOVE chocolate and mint together-- and orange, raspberry, or lemon with chocolate are also on my list. That gives me ideas....

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  23:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The recipe is not mine but I know what she did - she got those chocolate/mint morsels, melted a cups worth and added in the rest of the chips as well - so it was a mint chocolate cookie dough with mint-chocolate chips. Verrrry goooooood. I'll see if she'll send me the recipe.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  11:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds a bit different than mine. Please could you send me a copy? I found a variation on my recipe that simply substituted one teaspoon of mint extract for one of the teaspoons of vanilla. I also make snickerdoodles and roll them in crushed candy cane (instead of the standard cinnamon and sugar) for the holidays. Just love those quick cookies that are ready to eat right out of the oven-- especially if they don't require rolling and cutting.

Our rabbit is being devilish this morning. He's picking up Daughter's scissors and hopping away with them.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  14:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute!

My friend sent me this link for the recipe:

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/rec0115.html

Make sure you don't over-bake the cookies - they look soft when they come out but firm up a lot when they cool and they are much better not over-baked.

Pixie = I forgot to say - CONGRATS on 20 years!!! Sounds like a fun anniversary - we've been together almost 21 years but it took us a while to make it legal so our 20th anniversary is still 6 years away.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  23:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, your recipe for chocolate crinkles sounds like mine. I make it with unsweetened bakers chocolate and then mix it up and refrigerate overnight. Then I roll them in powdered sugar or regular sugar. They end up crackled. I LOVE those cookies! I usually make them, but didn't this year. Too busy. I slightly undercook them from what the recipes says so they're tender and gooey.

We had our Christmas party at the preschool today and the kids got to sit on Santa's lap and talk to him. They were so excited and did great. We only had one who was a little afraid and wouldn't sit on Santa's lap, but he got to the point of tolerating him at the end. They are so cute and appreciative of everything at that age. They just love everything.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is it that you all seem to know how to bake? Nobody I know can bake. Well, maybe one or two can, but they never bake anything for me so it doesn't count.

I finished college for Christmas today. Hurrah!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  12:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hurrah, Bee! Happy Holidays to YOU!

Most of my family bakes - one brother and one sister don't, but the other 5 of us do. I used to help my sister make fruitcakes and pannetone at Christmas time and we always made cookies. I think if you grow up with it, you keep on baking.

Jo, you should try the mint crinkle cookies too - they are darned good.

Edited by - AMC on 12/20/2007 12:04:03
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  12:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I used to help my sister make fruitcakes and pannetone at Christmas time and we always made cookies.
I knew there was an evil streak in you AMC.!

I love to bake, but am not much on cooking. The only problem with baking is that I also love to eat baked goods. If they are there, I eat them, so I limit my baking to a couple of tea cakes a year and homemade bread (I have a bread machine that I LOVE).

Made chocolate crinkle dough yesterday. Will be baking today. I used to love making those cookies with my Mum. Daughter is going to be baking with me.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  13:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone in my family cooks and bakes...men included. The philosophy in my family was that if you're hungry then you cook something. I really don't know anyone who doesn't know how to cook and bake.

On one hand, baking is actually easier than cooking because it's all chemistry. Measure the ingredients out correctly, follow the instructions, and you have a finished product. Cooking is some ways harder for a novice because a lot of people don't use recipes and a dash of this, handful of that, and season to taste.

Siobhan, I take it you're not a fruitcake fan. My dad loves those things. I'll have to remember to get him one if I see them tonight. I went shopping yesterday on a mission to buy two gift cards from this one store. Well, I go and only pick up one. I don't know where my brain was. Evidently not in the store. Back to fruitcakes, my aunt used to make this rum fruitcake that was soaked each day with a rum soaked cheesecloth. It was potent by the time Christmas came around.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  14:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Most of my family bakes - one brother and one sister don't, but the other 5 of us do. I used to help my sister make fruitcakes and pannetone at Christmas time and we always made cookies. I think if you grow up with it, you keep on baking.

Ah, I figured it was probably my parents' fault. My mother wouldn't know a baking tray if it hit her in the head.

I'm too tired to go out and celebrate being free. But I think I'll give it a go anyway.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  19:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curses! Cuuuurrrrrsssssessssss!

I hate it when baking gets ruined! Have only just discoverd that all my recipes call for too much butter for the kind of flour/climate/oven. Now I have to go back and add flour to all the doughs I mixed yesterday. If I don't everything will turn out flat and greasy. Why can't these things always work? Well, they do when I make cookies in the PNW. This just sucks. Daughter was doing a great job too.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  15:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, Siobhan, I saw on television once that flour is different in the South than the North and other parts of the country. Something about different gluten contents because you guys down there like to make biscuits more and up North we make breads and other things more with our flour. I don't know if it's the way it's ground or what.

I got the neatest cookie scooper the other day shopping. It's not like the miniature ice cream scoopers with the little bar that sweeps and releases the cookie, but it's silicone in back only and you press and the dough pops out. I've broken the ice cream type cookie scoopers so when I saw this I snatched it up. It's very neat. Now I just have to make cookies and try it out.

I was supposed to go Christmas shopping last night until everyone realized the football game was on. Steelers won, and good thing too because we were on a bit of a losing streak and still probably won't make the playoffs. It would have been the perfect time for shopping because everyone would have been home watching the game. I have to finish soon since Monday is the last shopping day.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  18:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that about the flour here. I thought AP was AP all over the country. I use bread flour for yeast breads.

Daughter has been watching Iron Chef America. It has inspired her. She's making dinner for us tonight: egg noodles and apples. Looks like we're going to be treated to a raisin garnish. Our neighbor girl is her sous chef.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  05:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to bake and cook. Last weekend I met with some friends and we made 8 different kinds of cookies. When we were finally finished nobody felt like eating cookies anymore, so we ordered pizza. :-)

This is my favourite cookie recipe (courtesy of my grandmother)

375 gramme butter (1 2/3 cups)
125 gramme lard (trust me!) (~1/2 cup)
380 gramme sugar (3 5/8 cups)
650 gramme flour (6 3/4 cups)
350 gramme ground almonds (2 1/8 cups)
4 eggs
2 bags vanilla sugar
1 bag baking powder

I tried to convert the grammes into cups. I hope I got everything right. In Germany we do not use cups to measure the ingredients for our recipes.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  16:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooooo - Lard. The Fat That Dares Not Speak Its Own Name. The LV of the baking world - but does it makes things gooood... yes, it does. Nothing beats the texture of pastry crust made with lard but I just can't stand the thought of using it so I settle for all butter. But I close my mind and EAT when someone else uses it!

I'm cooking today. Made Jambalaya last night, making roasted root veges and (possibly) blintzes today. I'll make the Christmas borscht and garlic chicken tomorrow. I like to have lots of yummy food available as leftovers for Christmas Day because I do not cook (nor do I spin) on the 25th. I finally realized after years of kitchen slavery that if I do not give myself a holiday, no one else will! So I do. We have a big Christmas Eve dinner and we feast on leftovers (and champagne, bagels w/ cream cheese, scones and other bought stuff) on Christmas Day.

Edited by - AMC on 12/23/2007 16:38:19
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  20:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cooked today, a standing rib roast. It's a once-a-year splurge. Then I'm cooking a turkey tomorrow night for Christmas Day. My sister is having too much food. Then tomorrow I have to make cream puff, steamed pudding, and finish my cookies.

I don't even want to think of the fat content in the cookies I'm making today. Yikes, I've used two pounds of butter and that's just in the dough. Of course, I'm rationalizing it because I only make them once a year and I'll have about 20 dozen cookies when I'm done (I'm giving most a way). I've dropped a few pounds this month, but I fear that I'm going to pack them right back on after this week is over.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  12:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, you spin? As in wool? Do you knit? If so why haven't you joined us in the knitting discussion???

I'm on holiday from cooking. At most I'll thaw and reheat something. My parents won't allow me to cook while they are here. I'm pretty sure it's just that they don't want to impose, but I suppose it could be a comment on my cooking....

Merry Christmas Eve!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  03:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas! It's been a hectic few weeks, but I wanted to pop in and wish you all the best. Have lovely holiday and a safe and happy new year.

Love, Theo

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/25/2007 03:21:26
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!

LOL Siobhan - no I don't spin or knit, but I have a sister who does both. I'm very bad with yarn - I like it but it hates me.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  19:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heehee -- I thought "spinning" meant exercising on a stationary bike. I wouldn't do that on Christmas either!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! (((HUGS!!!)))
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  17:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh. I hope everyone had the happiest of Christmases, that you ate too much, and got perfect presents. We had a so-so day. Daughter and I have been coming down with colds the last couple of days, so we were not at our best-- especially when combined with the excitement of the holidays. All I wanted to do was nap. Oh well. We did end up with a good day with our families.

Now I just want to crash, but can't. Too much to do still.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  20:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry Xmas everyone!

I certainly ate too much and got a lot of great presents (I even got an Encyclopedia of the Solar System, which only someone like me would call great) Hugs to everyone and I hope everyone's OK!

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  13:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Christmas guys! Hope a good time was had by all

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  15:24:22  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've just been reading all about all the baking going on here. I haven't baked my favorite--rolled ginger cookies--for quite a few years. I used to mix up the dough and refrigerate it and then the girls would use the small Christmas cookie cutters that were my mom's. We all loved them, but the last time I did it, neither of them could find the time to help with the cookie cutter part and I spent way too much time doing it. So I haven't done it since. I do still make fudge, and actually plan to make a second batch--it's a recipe that my sister-in-law shared with me when we moved to Washington. She takes recipes and severely modifies them, making them much better, and experiments to make all sorts of candy. Yummy stuff, but fudge is my favorite.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. We went to Terry's nephews house over by Bremerton, which meant we were driving over in the snow. Then, despite my saying to go straight ahead, he turned and we were on the right highway going the wrong direction--where it was really snowing and sticking.

I only appreciate the snow when I'm at home and can watch it from inside my warm house, venturing out for very short amounts of time. Driving (or riding) in it is something I can do without. But we got there without too much trouble, except the getting lost part. It was a good thing we went--everyone else who was supposed to be there cancelled and stayed home. By the time we came home it was mostly rain once we got back on the main highway.

And now I can find the time to finish addressing the Christmas cards. I know, they're late, but this way they won't be lost in all the deluge of Christmas mail, right?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 12/27/2007 15:26:01
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  21:28:44  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, too!

We had rain! It's hard to understand how wonderful that is unless you are in a major drought. It looks like several days of rain over the rest of the holidays, too. Never thought I would be happy for rain over Christmas, but I definitely was.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.