Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  14:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Ohio is very happy, but it's a subdued sort of celebration instead of the the usual all-out raucousness. It's just not as much fun to get into the championship because someone else lost. But then after last year, when they went into the game undefeated and heavily favored and got their butts kicked, maybe it's better this way. They still have something to prove.

My husband is busy planning his trip to New Orleans for the game. He's already been offered a ticket through a season ticket holder down there, so it should be a great time. Lucky him!

Edited by - n/a on 12/02/2007 15:00:09
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  00:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Hey Pixie! Congratulations on Missouri and W. Va's losses!!! There must be a lot of happy Buckeye fans out there today!

Lol, everyone is so happy that WVU lost. Pitt wasn't supposed to have a chance against them this weekend and they ruined WVUs chances. This game was covered locally more than the Steeler game. The Backyard Brawl is always the highlight of both school's year. This rivalry has been going on for 100 years and recruit from the same area. And I live right smack dab between both schools.

Contrary to how much we talk about football here, I'm not a huge fan, but I am upset about the New England Patriots win tonight. Baltimore was 2 yards away from beating them! So heartbreaking. I hate to see Baltimore win, but I'd love to see the Pats crushed even more. We play them next week, but the Steelers have been playing crappy lately with Palumalu and others out of the lineup and losing to a few of the worst teams in the league. We really have no hope next week.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  01:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo - I hate the Ravens but even I was hoping they'd beat NE.

I'm sad. One of my online friends has a 7 year old son with cancer. They've been fighting it for 2 years and it looks like they've just about lost the battle. It's so depressing, they are such nice people and she has worked so hard to give him every chance but the cancer was too pernicious. And on a less serious but closer to home front: our little bunny is close to death - he's getting so skinny and he can't walk some days. It's just old age, but it came on suddenly. I feel like I'm running an nursing home for pets now, my dog is 16 and is becoming both incontinent and senile. Now with the bunny...

Is it any wonder I'm not in a Holiday mood? I wish I was, I love this season but you can't make yourself feel jolly. I think I need to go get an old movie version of "A Christmas Carol" - the scrooge scenes should fit me just fine and maybe Jacob Marley can get me on track.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 12/06/2007 01:58:10
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh AMC, I'm so sorry to hear that your bunny is not doing well. It sounds as though you are having a rough time of it.
You might try "A Muppet's Christmas Carol." I know it's not old, but it is a good version-- just enough humour. My other favourite version is my audio tape of Patrick Stewart reading the story-- could only be equalled by Alan Rickman (but for him I have to go to my audio book of Return of the Native).

Urgh, I have so much to do and so little time. Oh well, I'm in a mood to just forget about the stuff I don't get to. Perhaps I'll enjoy my holidays more that way. At least my knee feels better today. I can get up the attic stairs to get more decorations down. Now if only my house didn't look like it had recently fallen on a witch....

Speaking of which (or witch), did anyone see Sci-Fi channel's "Tin Man"? We tried to watch, but it was on too late for people fighting sinus infections.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  23:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to watch "Tin Man" but missed it! I thought it was going to be one TNT because they showed previews on TBS (sister station) while they were airing "The Wizard of Oz" a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll replay it. I've been keeping an ear out for when it was going to air and never realized it was on.

We have our first big snow yesterday. Well, it wasn't big at all, just 5 inches, but nobody was prepared. I had to call off work because they didn't plow the roads and I couldn't get out. But everything is nice and covered in a blanket of white. Everytime we get a snowfall I think of Frost's "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." We're supposed to get another inch or two tomorrow morning, but not like yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  10:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tin Man has an encore presentation on Sunday the 9th at 5/4 central.
http://www.scifi.com/tinman/It apparently got very good ratings. Don't know about reviews. The actress who played Trillian in "Hitchhiker's Guide" was DG-- also had Alan Cummings (as the scarecrow character) and Richard Dreyfus (as the "wizard").

Western Washington and the Oregon coast have had some severe weather lately. LOTS of rain (8" in 2 hrs.) and high winds. Lincoln City has been torn up. We stayed near there (at Neskowin) a couple of years ago while visiting. I can't imagine being there for that kind of weather-- oh, wait a minute, I did stay in Charleston during hurricane Hugo. I guess I can imagine it. I'm just very glad I wasn't there for this storm.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  13:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm feeling a bit reckless these days. I think I've been pushed to some sort of academic-related limit, and I've snapped and gone all Mr Hyde, which mainly involves me sitting around eating biscuits and watching bad television while my books sit on my desk. It's not exactly rock and roll, but it's my version of walking on the wild side. I'm really not bothered about my exams for the first time in my life, and am pretty much winging them. It's actually pretty invigorating. I've also just impulsively booked myself on a flight to Brussels, because why not? I don't abuse my credit card nearly enough. So I'm off to spend New Year there with friends.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  19:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, does it snow in Ireland?

The snow is melting today and it's going back to the ugly brown of December. It would be wonderful if we could have about 2 inches on the ground all winter, but none on the sidewalks or roads. The other day in middle of the snowstorm my dad was talking to his brother and said it was chilly in Southern Cal, only about 72 degrees. *rolls eyes*

I belong to a dollhouse miniatures forum that I visit to get tips see other peoples projects. I don't post a lot, but do visit it. I've notice there is a newer member with a bit of irony going on. Her name is Friendly, and she's anything but. She has these comments, not outright nasty, but biting and unnecessary. A few members have confronted her about it. Usually you just ignore this type of behavior, but sometimes it just needs addressed. I find myself not even reading any topics she has or participates in. None of her comments are really enough to ban her, but enough do avoid anything with her name on. Isn't it horrible when one bad apple makes you want to avoid the whole bunch.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  20:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Bee, does it snow in Ireland?

Very rarely. Sometimes it does in February/March, but never very heavily.

I just drank half a bottle of wine and am about to collapse into bed. Whee!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  20:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Jo. Over the years and various incarnations of the galleries, I've had that experience, too. It is annoying, but that is their goal-- to annoy everyone by being unpleasant and thus draw attention to themselves. Either that or they are just inconsiderate, insecure, and rude people. Check the forum's options. You may be able to "ignore" that member. I employed that feature of the yo-yo's and it served quite well. Ignoring one member made it more comfortable to look at all the topics I was interested in without having to see the comments of the member I was avoiding. We don't have that feature working here because the mod we tried didn't take and it didn't seem necessary but that can always be changed.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  16:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember considering using that "ignore" feature on a previous forum too, but when it came down to it I was too nosy and can't bear the idea of missing out on certain posts, even though I knew they were bound to aggravate me.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  18:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, Bee, I'm the same way. I'm too nosy. I'd feel left out.

The Steelers are losing to the Patriots. I knew we wouldn't win, but it's still depressing to see New England still undefeated. They've become the New York Yankees of football. I was reading an article about if they go undefeated should they have an asterisk (like Bonds in the Baseball Hall of Fame) because of getting caught at cheating at the beginning of the season. And everyone says Pat's Tom Brady is gorgeous, but I just don't see it! I don't find any football athletes attractive. I'll watch the games, but they don't do anything for me.

I had a bad cold two weeks ago and this past week I was getting over it and a cold blister popped out. I thought it was weird because I usually get one before a cold, not after. But then this morning, BAM, I woke up with a doozy. No warning, no itchy ears, no scratchy throat. I went to bed fine and work up with my head so congested I couldn't stand it. I've lost my sense of taste. I had hotdogs and sauerkraut tonight and it tasted the same as the rice that went with it. Then I thought maybe a piece of chocolate cake would be the thing and still no taste. This sucks!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  00:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I'm feeling a bit reckless these days. I think I've been pushed to some sort of academic-related limit, and I've snapped and gone all Mr Hyde, which mainly involves me sitting around eating biscuits and watching bad television while my books sit on my desk. It's not exactly rock and roll, but it's my version of walking on the wild side.

Bee, I can totally relate to that! Except I used to abuse my credit card regularly when I was younger. I don't any more - I'm very old and very sober, except when it comes to alcohol. But I used to go through times when I'd read trashy novels and eat chocolate and cookies just to be bad - especially when work was too much. It kept me sane.

Edited by - AMC on 12/10/2007 00:52:30
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  00:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to ignore people without the Ignore feature - I thought it was fun. You just skipped over annyoing people's posts and kept on replaying as if they'd never posted - I figured it was the best way to irritate them as much as they irritated me.

Sorry about the nasty cold Jo - I never knew you had a brother around here. We had SEVERE weather the other day - it rained. lol.

Edited by - AMC on 12/10/2007 00:53:52
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  01:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a brother, AMC, my dad does. Well, he actually has quite a few, but a portion of the family lives in Southern Cal. A cousin came back during the summer a year or two ago and kept exclaiming about how beautifully lush and green everything was with the rolling hills and scenic rivers. We all told her to come back in January when the weather doesn't come out of the teens.

Does anyone want to come and do my laudry? It's backing up and I have no time to do it. I'll provide the quarters. While you're here you can also put my Christmas tree up.

I was in an extremely Christmas mood in November, but now that December has come, I'm out of it. Isn't that weird. On a good note, watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4H8cW7sVuo

I don't know which is the best...the fish or the weasel. Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas rocks. I always wondered what kind of psychotropic drugs Jim Henson was on. He was great.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/10/2007 01:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  18:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was very naughty again and abandoned my studies and went shopping instead. I bought two dresses, which I put on my credit card (poor thing's getting a right workout these days), but I SWEAR I'M RETURNING ONE. No, REALLY. I am. I AM.

I'm off to bed now. Tomorrow's the last day before the exam, so I'm hoping I'll wake up all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and ready to work. But I probably won't.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  01:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck with tomorrow, Bee! Hopefully, one dress looks awful on you, now that you've got them home.

Edited by - AMC on 12/11/2007 01:49:02
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  06:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember Bee, in 48 hours you're going to feel more relieved than you've ever felt in your life!

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  11:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri's right. I always felt so relaxed after big exams and before the worry of getting grades in the mail. It's like a huge weight is taken off your back and you can smile again. Good luck, you'll do great!

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  15:51:35  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But you can't even relax waiting for the mail now! My sons, at least, often get their results from the University of Georgia in just a few days via email and can check their grades usually by the end of exam week. I don't know if that's better or worse.

Hope your test goes smashingly, Bee.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  17:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the well wishes, guys!

Wow, sunsethill, I can't believe your sons can get their grades so soon! The lecturers (or poor put-upon postgrads) must be working flat out correcting their papers. Ours have to go through an external examiner before we receive our grades, so we have to wait a few weeks. Which doesn't bother me one bit.

Better go to sleep now so I can fit some last-minute cramming in tomorrow morning. Night all xx

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  15:07:25  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Wow, sunsethill, I can't believe your sons can get their grades so soon! The lecturers (or poor put-upon postgrads) must be working flat out correcting their papers. Ours have to go through an external examiner before we receive our grades, so we have to wait a few weeks. Which doesn't bother me one bit.

I think they do work flat-out, but also--a lot of the boys' classes are in math and science, which tend to give quantitative tests that can easily be scored by computer. The school almost has to do this because the sections have gotten so huge at UGA. I think the history and English grades take a little longer.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  17:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't know which is the best...the fish or the weasel. Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas rocks. I always wondered what kind of psychotropic drugs Jim Henson was on. He was great.
For me its a toss up between the fish and the bear's silver platform shoes!Jim Henson was a genius and he is much missed. Jo, did you ever see "The Tale of the Bunny Picnic" or any of "The Storyteller" series?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  23:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nooo. I'll have to check it out. Disney has such a tighthold on a lot of Henson stuff. After his death, his family sold part to Disney and kept part for Henson's company. The major Muppets are owned by Disney, but Henson's company still owns Sesame Street and the rest. There's a big to-do because Kermit isn't permitted to be shown on Sesame Street anymore and some of the Muppet stuff is now edited because of the split on ownership. I loved anything Muppet related when I was little.

I need a day off !!!!!! I work, go to work, come home and work some more. I have a meeting Monday for my accounting job and they're not getting all of their reports...teaches them to not train me. And I've been having extra days at preschool on top of it. I haven't even been subbing because I've no time to do anything. I don't even have enough time to get my laundery done. On top of that the water pump died this week and had to get another. That means no running water for a day or two. How fun! And people wonder why I'm not in a Christmasy mood.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  17:47:06  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas, everyone! I'm just dropping by to say hello, drop off some fudge and some Christmas tea. Help yourself--there's a never-ending amount.

We didn't have any trouble with all the western Washington flooding, but it's horrible to see the damage that was done to many towns south of us. And just the idea that I-5 was closed and under water for several days was a reminder of how bad the flooding was.

I'm looking forward to Christmas but so far all I've done is some decorating--and we got the tree up and decorated last week. No presents yet, not even a list of what I'm going to buy for anyone. And no clue either.

Just when we thought our year was going to settle down, both girls moved--Sarah at the beginning of November and Laura and Tim at the beginning of December. Sarah and Chris have split up and she stayed with us for two months before finding an apartment. Laura and Tim found out their rent was going up by $250 a month and decided to go the condo route instead. So now they have joined the ranks of home-buyers and are getting settled into their lovely new place, with a room for all of Tim's computer stuff and a room for Laura's art. It's quite nice and they seem to have done all the proper homework before making that big decision.

Helping the girls (and Chris) move was such a strange oxymoron sort of experience. Sarah and Chris have rented out their house, so theirs was one of saying good-bye to all the dreams they had when they bought their house, while Laura and Tim's was one of hope and joy at finding a place that suits them so well, looking forward rather than back.

Maybe that's the reason I can't quite get enthusiastic about all the holiday stuff this year. Chris and Sarah are remaining friends (after some rather nasty fighting in September), so we are all celebrating his birthday today and taking him to dinner and he will be joining us on Christmas Eve and going to the Christmas Day dinner at our nephew's house. Sounds strange, I know, but he's been part of our family for the last ten years and as long as Sarah is OK with it, he'll always be welcome. For now (and likely for always), they are better as friends than as a couple.

So this year has been a roller coaster for us, with huge ups and downs and I'm trying to focus on the ups more than the downs. Never did care for roller coasters, actually.

Anyway, Happy Christmas to All.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  22:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A family friend's neice is getting divorced. She's maybe 25 and they've been married only two or two and a half years and they're getting a divorce. Sad thing is that their wedding is probably not even paid off yet. They had a ritzy wedding that probably cost around $40,000. It's really a shame.

I got carded again today. A few weeks ago I took my sister's kids to the movies and got one in as a kid and the kids looked at me and both said that workers probably thought I was the kid. Both are at least 6 inches taller than me. The only people I'm taller than are the preschoolers I work with. :P

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  22:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeyore - it's nice to hear from you but I'm sorry to hear things are so roller-coastery. A divorce in the family is always rough, but it's good they're staying friendly - it makes life so much easier. They don't have any kids, right?

Jo, that's sad about your friend's niece getting divorced so quickly after the big fancy wedding, Jo - but it's not that unusual from my experience. People want a perfect wedding - only to find that when it's over, they're still their imperfect selves. It's like women who want to have a picture-perfect pregnancy and childbirth - guess what? You can ace that whole process... but then you have a BABY to take care of! THAT's the hard part! Labor takes 30 hours, tops. And you can hurry it up, if need be. Raising a kid takes 18 YEARS! And that's if you're lucky. Real life is a lot harder than it looks and sometimes people concentrate on acing on the wrong stuff.

LOL about being carded. And sorry about your job - good attitude on the Accounting thing. If they want a seamless job transition between workers, they might want to think about how to accomplish that rather than assuming Jiminy Cricket will come along and make their wishes come true.

I couldn't get into the Christmas spirit at all until last weekend. My job's good but I hate my boss, my kids have had lots of homework recently, so they're tired and I'm tired and ... nothing was very Merry Ho-Ho. But we had our annual cookie baking and just having my baking maniac friends over set me up for the season. Then I got our Xmas lights up.. then we got our tree.. today we straightened it (lol) and got the lights on. So now it's really feeling like Christmas. I still hate my boss but I love Christmas.

Edited by - AMC on 12/15/2007 22:41:58
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  23:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you again Eeyore, I was wondering where you had gone off to. Sorry to hear that Sarah and Chris have split up, but it's good they are still remaining friends. I am pretty sure they haven't had any kinds, AMC.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  00:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, what kind of cookies did you make. I love cookies. I got stuff tonight to make ladylocks and creme wafers. Creme wafters are just little bites of heaven, soft and flaky with an icing filling. Ohh, I love them. But then when I eat ladylocks they're my favorite. Then I have to make cream puffs and a few batches of steamed pudding for Christmas. I also want to make some chocolates for work and some truffles.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  09:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eeyore! *waves* Sorry about the whole divorce thing. As a third generation member of an entirely divorced family, I can say that, if handled correctly, divorces can actually lead to long-lasting non-marital bonds that are almost as good as marriage. Still, the opening salvos can be toxic, but if you ride them out without letting them take over, things can work out pretty well.

Jo, I just heard about Pittsburgh getting flooded out. You OK?

I'm in a suburb of Dallas at the moment, so it's kinda strange seeing all these apocalyptic weather reports on the news, and knowing that they're not going to affect me at all. Every time I ask my stepfather if any of this ever comes his way, he just shrugs and goes, "Well... sometimes..."

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 12/16/2007 14:00:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.