Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  12:07:31  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was SO hoping that you would find that the tumor was benign. Now you just have to deal with helping your mother recover from "run-of-the-mill" surgery. And that flight out to Seattle is a killer, isn't it? My kids have made it several times, but they are a still limber and seem to take being sqwashed for five hours better. Remember to get up and walk around some to avoid blood clots.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news Siobhan! So glad to hear the tumour was benign. Hope she recovers well from her surgery and feels better soon.

Flying is such a pain. I find a large brandy helps.

I've got a lot of college stuff on my plate at the moment. I'm trying my best to keep on top of things, which means I haven't seen any of my non-college friends in weeks. All this work and no play is making me a very dull girl indeed, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  13:38:39  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bee, my sons are in the "last three weeks count-down" mode, too... just put your head down and keep pushing and hope that your brain doesn't give out before the end of the sememster. My freshman has had a tough time adjusting to college and he is now giving me a day-by-day count of how many days are left..."Only 21 more days, Mom!" "Only 20 more days now, Mom." ...

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  17:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh, yeah, I'm a bit like that myself, except part of me wishes the end of the semester was further away so I'd have the chance to get more done before Christmas. Still, it's nice to know that in... *counts* 36 days time I get to take a little break. And anyway, I've only six more months to go before my time in the education system is finally over!

I think I'm going to get an early night. My brain is frazzled and I don't think I'm making very much sense...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 11/13/2007 17:43:46
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  11:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I'm here (Washington). Flights went fine-- they were even on time! Very bumpy air over the Rocky Mountians. The weather systems had the air all lumpy up to 40,000 feet, so we had to ride it out. I didn't mind, but I know there are people who really hate turbulence.

Will go to see Mum today. It was 9 oclock when Daddy and I made it to the house last night. I was beat so we decided to wait till morning. I saw the souvenir photo of the tumor. Really ghastly thing. It's the kind of thing that could almost make one believe in aliens.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  23:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not so great news today, folks. Went to see Mum this morning. She looks good and is in great spirits, but (and this is a big but) the tumor was indeed cancerous. Daddy had literally not heard the word cancer (I'm not sure he heard it today) but I sure did. Pathology reported the tumour was about 7cm in diameter, cancerous, but isolated. No other colon tissue was involved. Of the 43 lymph nodes removed, 8 were cancerous. Mum will be receiving some references for oncologists to consider.

On the plus side, she is on a clear liquid diet as of today. That means they will probably send her home tomorrow. The tough part will be keeping her on her diet and limiting her activity-- which is why I insisted on coming out.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  01:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh hell Siobhan - I'm so sorry.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  12:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we roll with the punches. I won't say it could be worse because that usually invites disaster, but on the other hand.... I don't look at this as a death knell. It is serious, but Mum is a fighter and she's got lots to look forward to to keep her going-- one of the advantages to having a child and grandchild a little later in life than her peers (she'll be 73 in December). I just have to do my best to make sure she takes care of herself.

Ah the lovely rain! So soft and so unlike the rain we get in the South where it dumps buckets then steams away or languishes in the damp.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  14:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm jealous of your rain.

It's good your mom's a fighter - everyone I know who has been through the cancer treatment process has had a hell of a time with the chemo but.. afterwards they were happy they did the most aggressive types of treatment. I know many cancer survivors.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  14:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best of luck to your mom, Siobhan! Colon cancer treatment has come so far in the past few years. I know a man whose case was even scarier than that, and now he's disease-free. (It was a tough fight, though.) It's amazing what can be done these days.

Speaking of scary things, I just had a breast biopsy done this morning. The abnormality in question was categorized as "low suspicion" but you never know. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  16:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck to your mom, Siobhan. Good luck to you as well, Pesky Pixie!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  20:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll be praying for everyone. I had to go to the funeral home tonight. Two different families that my parents were friends with long ago each lost a child in the last two weeks.

Last week I bought a beautiful new ice blue wool coat for winter. I wasn't planning on buying one, even though I needed it, but I saw it and fell in love from the window in the mall...and it was 40% off last week. So the weather warmed up and today was the first day I got to wear it. It's cold and rainy with a chance of snow. So I was walking down the yard to the car this evening and I slid and fell and got mud on the back. I could cry. I'm drying it right now and hoping it will brush off. That's the recommended solution for mud on wool. It's starting to lighten up, but it's so depressing. It's not a huge spot, but still not something that's comforting knowing I've only owned this coat for a week and just started wearing it today.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  00:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo - how about a trip to the nice friendly dry cleaner before the stain sets? If it's beautiful, you're going to want to keep it nice, even if it won't stay that way forever... sorry! It's so frustrating when that happens.

Fingers crossed, Pixie! One of my sisters has had multiple trips to the docs for biopsies of breat lumps - all negative, TG. I'm hoping yours is just a scare too.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  06:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this is making my coming gallbladder-ectomy seem relativley tame. Best wishes to both of you. I'll be holding your hands in spirit.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mud dried off and it's almost gone. You can't see it if you don't know it's there, but I know. So I guess when I go do laundry I'll drop it off at the dry cleaner. But I hate the thought of a $40 dry cleaning bill for a coat I wore once. But if I must then I must. I told my sister maybe the fall will knock my sciatica out again. It still hurts a little but not like the other night.

Good luck on the gallbladder, Diri.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  12:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, thanks diri. We have very long arms, and will be holding your hand, too.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  16:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got good news! My test results came back negative -- it was just an old benign growth throwing off calcium flecks. *phew!* It's been a scary, exhausting week, and I'm glad it's over.

When is your gallbladder surgery, diri? We'll be sending you lots of good vibes!

And Ohio State has just beaten Michigan for the fourth year in a row. (For us Buckeyes, that's a very big thing.) Rose Bowl, here we come! Yeah! Today was a good day, just what I needed.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  18:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, Pixie! *hugs*

Best wishes to you and your mum, Siobhan.

And good vibes to diri for your operation.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  20:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, maybe we are all going to Hell in a handbasket for reading Harry Potter.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  22:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT news, Pixie!!! I mean about the biopsy, but I know you're probably even more thrilled about the game, lol.

Siobhan, I'm having a pefectly heavenly life with no problems at all - that's my story and I'm sticking to it, anyway.

When's the surgery, Diri? I'll send mighty healing vibes.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  04:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. It's on Thursday. My Mom is coming over from California on Wednesday (I tried to talk her out of it, but to no avail), so I have to get my flat cleaned up

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  05:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck to you, Diri. And best wishes to you and your mum, Siobhan.

I enjoy my life. OK, my job is annoying me at the moment, but compared to what is going on in your life Diri and Siobhan, my job problems are quite unimportant.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  13:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems a good portion of the fun part of my life is dooming me to eternal damnation, so I'm not too fussed about it. Besides, the less enjoyable parts make the rest that much better. Nothing like a little bad with the good to make one realise one's good fortune.

Diri, I am glad your mother is coming to be with you. I know it will be trying, but it's better than going through surgery and coming home all by yourself. Think of it as just another lesson in patience.

Great news about your biopsy, Pesky! Scarey stuff!!!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  16:29:17  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diri, you can't have surgery on Thanksgiving Day! Maybe your mom is just trying to get out of cooking a turkey. Seriously, though, even when the nurses are great, it's nice to have someone looking out for you in all the inbetween times--cause it's when the nurses leave that you really want a drink of water.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  16:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is everyone ready for Thanksgiving? We know Diri's plans. Good luck and be careful afterward. My mom had her gallbladder removed right after my brother, the oldest of us kids, was born. The doctor told her not to lift anything. Her aunt stayed with my parents and helped her out, but she picked up the baby not thinking of the "no lifting" rule and got a hernia. Yikes, what a problem.

My week is crazy busy. I just realized I know have three jobs. We're having a big Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at the preschool so I have to cook some thing tonight. Then tomorrow night after work I have a meeting I have to go to for my new job. They're not happy because I haven't been trained yet and the other woman's last day is tomorrow. I've tried everything to get together with her, but her schedule is busy. It's not my fault so they give me any backtalk I can tell them where to stick their job, which I'm only doing anyway just for a favor. Then I also have subbing this week and a party at the end of the week I'm trying to get out of. Oh, I forgot the big get together on Thursday.

Where did November go? It passed by without me noticing. Wasn't it just Halloween two days ago?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  17:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feels like it, doesn't it? I hope Christmas doesn't just fly past this year-- especially as taxes are the next event on the calendar. I want to really enjoy my winter holiday this year.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  20:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanksgiving is very early this year -- the earliest that the fourth Thursday can be. The nice thing about early Thanksgiving is that now we get almost an extra week before Christmas! I can't believe that we'll be putting up the tree next weekend. Or maybe we won't, because I really should get a new one this year, and I don't know when I'll get around to it.

My mom surprised us tonight with an early Thanksgiving dinner. We are going to my husband's parents's house this year for the actual holiday, so Mom asked us for supper tonight instead. Gotta love mothers (with and without turkey).

Diri, my grandmother had her gallbladder out on Christmas Eve when she was 90. Everyone I know who's had it done has felt sooo much better afterwards. I hope that everything goes easily for you and that by Christmas you will be better than new.

quote:
[quoting Siobhan]
... the less enjoyable parts make the rest that much better. Nothing like a little bad with the good to make one realise one's good fortune.

Amen to that! Here's hoping that everyone has plenty of good fortune to give thanks for this year!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  22:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uni8 - I think we need that job-problems thread again. My boss is driving me crazy - I ended up going to HR last week to tell them they needed to help me find some way to deal with him or I'd be the next one out the door. We've lost a lot of good employees recently (including those that support HR) so I think they listened a little more carefully than they would have to a typical boss complaint. I don't know if any of the ideas the director came up with will help, but they can't hurt. I work for a guy who is stuck in the.. 50s, maybe? He thinks his job is just to tell people what to do and spy on them so they don't cheat the company. The fact that his employees keep leaving because they can't get promoted and he gives them hell for having personal lives doesn't give him any indication that he's a sucky boss. That might be okay in a rotating-door private corporation but I work in the public sector for a school district - we have a really hard time hiring new employees so losing good ones is really a bad thing. We've lost THREE key employees in 6 months and our dept only has a dozen people.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  12:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a GM like that once. Made the job really unpleasant when he came in on his visits. Treated everybody like they were totally incompetent. Then again, corporate seemed to think the economy played no role in sales. My guess is that they were leaning heavily on him about slumping sales. That sort of poooo always rolls downhill.

Mum is doing really well. We're trying to take it easy, but I'm amazed by her stamina. She has a check up appointment on the 29th. I'm hoping she will take it easy after I leave. I'll try to get some housework (laundry, vacuuming) done for her before Thursday morning. Perhaps I'll do some Christmas decorating for her, too.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, Siobhan. We're all pulling for your family.

I must have a black cloud over my head. I have two sebaceous cysts, one on my collar bone and one on my chest right in the center. The doctor said they're okay and nothing to worry about. I've had them as long as I can remember. Anyway, last week the one on my chest became infected. Last Friday it started hurting out of nowhere, the pain went away after a few days but I still have swelling. Then it popped in the bath and was quit disgusting and smelled of infection. You're not supposed pop them, but it just happened. So I've been doctoring with it. My sister, who is in nursing, gave me the foulest smelling ointment for it and I've been putting heat to it like recommended. It doesn't hurt as much anymore but it's swollen and a major pain in my butt...or chest.

I am tired. I'm suffering from serious lack of sleep with no relief in sight. You'd think with the holiday I'd get to sleep in but Thursday I have to get up at 6am to put the monster bird on to roast and then Friday I'm going to the Black Friday sales early in the morning. I'm not brave enough to go to Walmart or Kmart, but some of the smaller stores we're headed to and then breakfast. I never go out on Black Friday or the day after Christmas. There's always a first for everything.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/21/2007 00:49:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.