Page: of 98

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  15:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum! I lurves apple strudel.

*resolves to buy apple strudel in the supermarket tomorrow*

(it's great, they stock a lot of German, French and Dutch stuff, and the apple strudel is only 99p).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  23:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been making Orange Cream ice cream. Just add orange juice concentrate to the vanilla mix and voila! Daughter loves it. She's been trying to get me to make chocolate, but she's the only one who likes it, so I compromised with a flavour we all enjoy.

OJ's arrest seems to be for armed robbery. That's more extreme than say shoplifting, or breaking and entering. For some reason he claims the collector who was selling sports collectibles was selling items that were "his". Technically, they were-- or had been. Unless the guy was selling previously stolen items, I don't see how OJ can posibly believe he still has a right of ownership. Hmmm. Perhaps he has goblin ancestry?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  11:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This slightly Harry Potter-related piece was on the Today Show this morning (for those who use internet explorer):
http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=feb34f7b-14df-4083-b08b-416e5d864189&p=Living_NBC%20Today&t=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/&fg=

I felt sorry for the kid until about two-thirds of the way into the story. Then it started looking like delayed justice.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  11:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And so, OJ Simpson finally departs from reality.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, yet another guy just begging for attention, deserved or not.
Hmm. That applies to both Andy Meyer and OJ.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  13:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother in law is Andy Meyer.

Not that one, though.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  17:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky (my pup/dog) got her paw cut in the river where I bring her to swim sometimes. Some teenagers go drinking there (highly illegal but the guards are too lazy/too busy to do anything about it) and there must have been a broken bottle in the river. I suppose I won't take her there anymore. What a pity - she really needs to run freely. She has so much energy, poor puppy. I had to give her a sleeping tablet in order to examine her to make sure there was no glass stuck in her paw. Blood all over my mat. Nice.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  10:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw! Poor little thing!!!!

One of our local parks has an area devoted to dogs. Unfortunately, water attracts alligators. There was a 7 footer (just a young one) in the dog pond. Had to have an expert in to trap and remove it before it bagged a doggie.

There was an alligator attack at Lake Moultrie over the weekend. Some idiot was snorkeling in murky water. He provided a large alligator with a small snack-- his arm up to the shoulder. The guy was fortunate in that there were a group of nurses at the scene. I think they reattached the arm-- after removing it from the gator's stomach.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snorkelling in murky water. Hey I got this cool mask that allows me to see things! So I'll use it where I can't see anything!

I love the water, but I have wimpy eardrums that explode on contact with moisture. You ain't lived til you've had some Brazilian doctor scrape the scab off your eardrum with a little metal hook. Say hello to Mr. Pain Monster.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 09/20/2007 11:03:58
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  06:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sick of sitting in traffic for up on two hours every morning, so I've decided to move out of home and get a place closer to college. I'm moving in with a friend of mine and another person who I haven't met yet but is apparently very nice, so I won't have to worry about psycho-roommates. It's a nice little apartment - basic, but suits me fine - and it's very close to my university. I'm going to move my stuff down next week - can't wait. I'll have to re-domesticate myself though - my mother has me spoiled.

Apart from that, college is pretty wretched. I'm stressed out with all the work I have to do. Can't wait till this year is over.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  10:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My car broke down. The battery didn't work anymore. Strangely, it worked fine in the morning, when I drove to work, but it didn't work anymore when I wanted to drive home again. Fortunately, a colleague of mine gave me a jump start, so I could take my car to a garage. The new battery will cost me 140 .

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  13:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, U8, and ever since then my radio won't work. I need to key in a code to get it going again, but I don't have it, the garage doesn't have it (even though they're supposed to), and no one I know seems to be able to take out the radio so I can see the code printed on its side, so it looks like I'm going to have to traipse up to the garage someday and get them to do it. Only problem is I'm way too busy to spend a day driving up the country, so I'm having to do without my radio at the moment, which is hugely annoying seeing as I currently spend 3-4 hours a day in my car and could use some entertainment. Gah. At least I'm moving next week so the commute's not going to be an issue anymore.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  23:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steelers maintain their undefeated status this week. That's 3-0 and Mike Tomlin tied for the best first season new coach record with Bill Cowher, who coincidentally also did it for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Of course, the critics are all saying that the team's first five games are easy and we should win them and having a 3-0 record doesn't really show that we're any good. But a win is a win is a win. They recently came out with a national survey that showed that we rank #1 for female fans. Even old grannies follow the game and know defensive strategies and when Big Ben should be taken out. I have found personally that Steeler Sunday is actually the best time to go shopping since all the region is at home glued to their televisions. The stores are empty, but even then the game is more than likely broadcasted in stores for what little shoppers they have.

I went to the Renaissance festival yesterday. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did before. It's too expensive, but we stayed most of the day just to see most the shows to at least get our money's worth. I much prefer the local Highland Games, but I was outvoted so it was the Renaissance festival this year. It runs seven weekends and each weekend has a theme. At least this was celtic weekend.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/23/2007 23:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Highland Games here are usually so bloody hot! We went a few years ago and sweltered. You'd think a bunch of Scots would know enough to wait until it cooled off before attempting all those ruddy physical stunts, impressive as they are. Unfortunately, all the competitors feel it necessary to wear bike shorts under their kilts-- so much for authenticity. All the same, there's no substitute for live pipers. I've always loved the highland groups in parades-- well, except for the bass drum.

We've never been to a Renaissance faire. I'm not even sure when they are held here. Daughter might find it interesting in much the same way as a Star Trek convention. Actually, I think she'd enjoy a Star Trek event more. She was a NG officer for Halloween last year.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  14:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, U8, and ever since then my radio won't work. I need to key in a code to get it going again, but I don't have it, the garage doesn't have it (even though they're supposed to), and no one I know seems to be able to take out the radio so I can see the code printed on its side, so it looks like I'm going to have to traipse up to the garage someday and get them to do it. Only problem is I'm way too busy to spend a day driving up the country, so I'm having to do without my radio at the moment, which is hugely annoying seeing as I currently spend 3-4 hours a day in my car and could use some entertainment. Gah. At least I'm moving next week so the commute's not going to be an issue anymore.

That sucks! I am glad that I have only a very cheap radio in my car that doesn't need a code or otherwise I would have the same problem now. I hope they can fix the radio soon. I can't even imagine to drive more than half an hour without listening to the radio.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bleh - driving without music is horrible! I hope you get that fixed soon Bee! Don't you have a park that all the young guys with their steeeked up ford fiestas and opel corsa's go to? Those guys would know how to fix it. My sisters "friend" who's not her boyfriend (she is in denial) is one of those. He is 18 and can fix all kinds of things like that. Think he grew up at his uncles garage though.

Heehee Siobhan - do you really want to see a real scotsman? My poor mum was at a wedding about 2 years ago where there were a few men in kilts. One old guy was a bit drunk and decided to show her his scottish autheticity! She was so revolted - she really thought it was a rumour and that noone nowadays would do such a thing. Poor innocent mother - she was in shock for about 3 weeks after that!

Puppy is ok again - she still licks her paw a bit, but there is almost certainly no glass inside, and there is a small scab, no pus and hopefully therefore no infection. I didn't want to take her to the vet for something so small.

I start my cake decorating class on Wednesday. See craft section when I upload photos of my creations
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  20:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior
He is a 2 year old Dachshund Miniature Pinscher mix named Dobby.

Dobby is an awesome name for a dog. My dog Pippin came thisclose to getting named Dobby. When he was a puppy, his ears were HUGE! Thankfully, he's grown into them now. I will name a pet Dobby some time.

Sorry for being gone so long. Real life has busy. I got the nastiest head cold two weeks ago. Thankfully it didn't turn into a sinus infection, but I haven't had a cold like that in years. It sucked.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  10:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a scot spins around to throw something that doesn't need to be thrown in order to show off his manliness, bike pants ruin the effect. Same with the showman's back flip after a caber toss. If they must show off, then let it be real-- and at a distance.

The latest thing in car fashion these days seems to be a large sedan (or station wagon with the fake wood) painted a garish non-showroom colour and jacked up on huge tires with the spinning rims. Quite popular around here. Looks ridiculous, but at least it's good for a laugh-- the station wagon especially.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  11:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Mad-Eye and I are off for the weekend-- no internet, no phone, no Daughter. Play nicely!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  12:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun, Siobhan!

*looks around to see what mischief can be wreaked*

*sigh* I don't even have time to misbehave. We're still very busy helping care for my father-in-law after his heart surgery, part of which means cooking him supper every night. Low fat, low sodium, low carbs. I've lost ten pounds! The painting is all done, but now one of my co-workers has thrown her back out, so I have to work a ton of extra hours. At least it makes for a nice paycheck. Someday I'll catch up ... maybe next spring ...

Edited by - n/a on 09/27/2007 12:30:10
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  17:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a good time Siobhan and Mad-Eye!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a lovely little get away. The leaves are just starting to turn so there are splashes of deep red, crimson, and gold in the autumn green of the trees. Kudzu is everywhere-- curtains of it.

They are in a severe drought up in the Hendersonville/Bat Cave/Black Mountain area. Farmers are having rough times because of it combined with a late frost that hit the orchards hard. It is a wonderful place for relaxation. I don't know how long that will last, though.

Housing development is everywhere up there. It won't be long till the residential people are telling the farmers they can't have cattle because of the smell regardless of the fact that the farmers were there first. Personally, I prefer the smell of cows to that of car exhaust.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  13:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had the house elves in to do some cleaning. Some topics have been moved and removed.

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone will notice....
*returns to knitting*

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  17:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was 90 degrees today....in Pennsylvania...in autumn! Unbelievable!

There is a little girl in the Kindergarten class I'm subbing for this week who looks exactly like Emma Watson when she was cast for SS, except younger and her hair is a bit darker. I couldn't place it yesterday, but today it hit me and it's eerie how much she looks like her.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gimu

Bleh - driving without music is horrible! I hope you get that fixed soon Bee! Don't you have a park that all the young guys with their steeeked up ford fiestas and opel corsa's go to? Those guys would know how to fix it. My sisters "friend" who's not her boyfriend (she is in denial) is one of those. He is 18 and can fix all kinds of things like that. Think he grew up at his uncles garage though.

Heh, my cousin is one of those (except his is a souped-up Honda Civic), and he couldn't get the radio out. He's also a trainee mechanic, so I reckon if he can't help me, no boy racer can. Apparently, I need to get a very special screwdriver of some sort. Or something. Meanwhile, I'm still without a radio. But at least I'm spending less time in the car these days. The new place is working out very well so far, which is a relief, because I'm feeling very stressed out at the moment, so it's great not to have to deal with the commute on top of the million and one other things I have to do. This academic year cannot end too soon. *le sigh*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  11:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the stress, Bee. Must be the time of year for it. I'm a bit frazzled lately, too. We have something booked for every weekend this month. Last week it was a friend's housewarming/anniversary party. This week it's the fall karate tournament in the morning and a concert in the evening. Next week one of Daughter's friends is having a birthday get together. The following week we are planning on a party at our house.

Look what we found on one of our sassafrass trees this morning:
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1INSECTS/io.html
There are three of them munching down on leaves. Luckilly we did not brush up against them. They sting. The photo of the caterpillar isn't quite bright enough. Ours are bright leaf green and are about 2" long when not all bunched up.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  16:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're pretty! Though I probably wouldn't think so if one stung me.

I think Octobers are generally very busy for me. I always hate this time of year. I'm up to my eyeballs with work at the moment. And just for good measure I've developed a weird itching sensation in my arms and legs. It came upon me all of a sudden yesterday (which - to add insult to injury - was my birthday), and it won't go away. I've never had an allergic reaction to anything in my life, so I can't think what could have caused this. I have to go for blood tests tomorrow, which sucks because I'm supposed to be making a presentation that afternoon and I'm not sure if I'll make it in time. And it's not like I can concentrate on putting it together anyway - all my energy is focused on resisting the urge to cut my arms off. I gotta say, so far, being 23 sucks!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  03:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allergic to fabric softener? Or maybe you're at the bottom of your box of washing powder, and the washing powder is all clumpy and doesn't dissolve properly in the wash, so it gets left in your clothes?

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  06:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turns out it was an allergic reaction to something alright, but there's no telling what. I've never experienced anything like it, so that's why I was so perplexed. Thought I might have something very exotic but it's all very mundane.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 10/10/2007 06:28:21
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Benadryl! A wonder drug! Just don't use the flavoured liquid. I had to use Daughter's left over stuff and nearly became ill-- NASTY!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.