Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  17:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mum had a laburnum tree in the back yard. It was really beautiful. They'd had it as long as I can remember, in fact I think it came with the house forty years ago. They cut it down a couple years ago because the neighbor's horse loves to eat everything it can wrap its lips and teeth around over the fence. Didn't want to kill the horse. I understand the seed pods to be poisonous. I've just bought an angels trumpet tree-- every part of it is poisonous. Hmm. Wonder why I tend to like dangerous plants....

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  17:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this is some kind of Freudian suppressed anger at your bunnies coming out?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  21:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a chance. Fraud was a freud.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newguise
We were all getting really into horticultural discussions when I was last at Diagon Alley. I have managed not to kill anything yet, and I even found a geranium with the same middle name as me.

Some of my coleus aren't doing very well. I planted three different varieties, 12 plants in total, and half of them have died off while the other half are going great. The ones that died off I'm replacing with red impatiens that I got for a steal because it being after late in the planting season. It's shady so they should thrive.

My dad has 10ft+ black hollyhocks this year. He planted then at the base of a six foot wall and they're about as tall as me while I'm standing on top of it (the yard is terraced in this spot). Last year they bloomed but only got a about 5ft. The year before they got about 12ft. His lilies are also doing excellent also. He also planted a rose bush, thinking it wouldn't bloom until next year and I went out in the yard the other day and there was one perfect blood red tea rose on it. I was really surprised.

I've been seeing monkey balls not far from my house. Brings back so many memories. We used to get into so much trouble throwing monkey balls at each other when I was little and breaking them open. For those who don't know what monkey balls are the correct name is osage orange. I think they may also be called hedge apples in some regions. They've always been monkey balls to me.

When we were little we'd always get a kick out of saying kitty kitty willows and monkey balls. Juvenille behavior I know. Kids probably still giggle at the names.

*edited*

It censors my use of a certain word starting with "p" and inserts "kitty kitty" instead. It makes it sound more obscene than it really is.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/11/2006 22:21:53
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love black hollyhocks. They are so surreal. Can't grow tea roses here. They are too temperamental for the heat. I've tried a couple of times and ended up with black spot and mildew and gobs of aphids.
Currently my oriental lillies are about 4 feet tall with huge white blooms. There are also smaller plants with pink and white blooms. Their fragrance is so strong it's a good thing they are outside.

Yipee! My monkey puzzle trees are hanging in there. The weeping kitty kitty willow isn't doing so well, though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newguise

A clown smiley? Wasn't there a group of people on the board who were a bit freaked out by clowns? I haven't had a really good look yet...is that a smiley with a black eye?
Yes, the clown smiley needs work, though, as does Hide. I think it was gothy that was afraid of clowns. Anyone heard from him?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  06:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He hasn't been around for at least two boards.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it was Gothy. I'm pretty sure he dropped in on the last incarnation of hpg but only at the beginning. I miss him - the Halloween party isn't be the same without Count Duckula.

If I only had time to post about horiculture, I would! But I'm leaving for a few days and I have a list as long as my arm to accomplish in the next... 9 hours. So I'll hold forth on gardening monday - I'm sure you all can't wait!

Can I get a large mug of tea, to go?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  13:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, as its you

Gothy was always a little more into his other board wasn't he? Plus he was at uni, so that takes lots of time. I just hope people can find us if they want to pop in at some time in the future. If you type 'hpgalleries inherently random' into Google, will you get our link? Diri showed me that one when we were in London for the yo-yos and that worked a treat.

I feel like slobbing out and eating cake.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  13:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey - you know what! We're the 5th listing out of 6 when you try that! Number 5 and trying harder! We need some way to report to google that the other links are broken...

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  14:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We haven't been trying very hard to get googled. I have to ask Mad-Eye to look into key words. He's been busy working on getting our banner to work with other board skins, wrestling with the poll mod, and getting our emoticons fixed. Paw works now, ,as does clown and hide .

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  14:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the emoticons totally rock. I wasn't complaining, I was just surprised that google isn't better about updating dead links.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that surprises me too. Sounds like Googlebot is slacking a bit...
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it has just become accustomed to HPG being yo-yoish?

The last I remember seeing gothy around was just after HBP came out. He's probably gone off to have a RL-- or he could still be sulking about losing the LOTR trivia contest.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  19:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might help to add "HPGalleries" (old way with no space) as a Google search key. Right now I can find this site by Googling HP Galleries (with the space) but not the other way. Without the space all I can find is the old yo-yos.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  22:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://hol.9cy.com/covergallery.htmLook what I found in my favourites!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  02:52:58  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's cool--it was stuff like that that had me checking the HPGalleries every day and then I spotted the forum and started lurking there. Mmm, I like that one.

Sounds to me like Myf is going to be having more fun than I am, to tell the truth.

We had everyone for dinner tonight, a rather impromptu thing. It was fun, but I've gotten used to not fixing meals for such large groups anymore--I'm tired. And I have to be at day camp for on-site training in the morning; guess I'd better go to bed.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

fox
Addled

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  03:19:20  Show Profile  Click to see fox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ah...the old site. I remember the day I stumbled on it quite clearly. I needed information and it delivered. Seems like an eternity ago now

"stand up and take out your wand, Potter"
order of the bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  06:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, the old HPG. Shame there's nothing left of the Banana Boards. There's loads of stuff cached from the Yo-Yos though - I even stumbled across the posts I made from Sri Lanka.

HPG was the first HP site I ever visited. We'd just got the internet hooked up in our house, and I was experimenting with it. I don't think I even knew of the existence of Google at that point - goodness knows how I managed to find HPG. It must've been fate.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  13:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ate the world's juiciest nectarine. I don't think a two year old could have made more mess than I did. Mmmm sticky.

I just googled without the space and we are a little way down the list.

Does anyone have any opinions on the verb 'to google'? I know it is reaching dictionaries everywhere. I think they should make it an irregular verb, just for fun though, and have some really odd declentions.

I just found this smiley:

and assumed it was tea. Apparently it is coffee though. I think I shall hijack it and make it tea.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  14:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you mean "conjugation". I dunno. "Google" already sounds like so many other words (deliberately, I'm sure) that modifying the stem might get a little confusing; making the past tense of Google giggle, or gaggle, for instance.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  15:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew that word was wrong. Initially I wondered if I'd made it up, still might have, for all I know. I've eaten more cheese than is wise and am feeling odd effects.

*waves at Diri*

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  15:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*waves at Nuggy*

Strawbs and I were in Bath a few weeks back; I sent you an email but you must have shifted addresses. Could you PM me your new one?

For the record, no, you didn't make it up. Declension is indeed a word, but it is to nouns what conjugation is to verbs. Verbs are congugated, nouns are declined. Declension is something of an oddball in English because we've pretty much stopped using it. In Latin you have entire lists of declensions in God knows how many different forms. Seruus means "slave" (actually male slave; there's an entirely different set of declensions for "serua"). In sentances it can appear as seruus (nominative; the slave hit me) serui (genative; of the slave, the slave's), seruum: accusative (I hit the slave) and seruo: dative (I gave the box to the slave), plus an entirely different list for plurals. In English there are only four declensions left: slave (singular common), slaves (plural common), slave's (singular genative) and slaves' (plural genative).

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 07/14/2006 14:00:04
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  21:03:01  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad we don't do that anymore--that's way too confusing.

And yes, nuggy, this says it's coffee, but I've highjacked it as well and am enjoying my tea at the moment.

We had on-site training for day camp, which went well, but about 2:30 it started to rain, then stopped, then really rained, and we got fairly wet putting stuff in our cars at the end of the day. Most of the people were gone by then, thankfully.

I think I'll need several before I finally warm up. Better get them ready--

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  21:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of slaves, I was watching Mel Brook's History of the World: Part 1 today on television (I've seen it countless times) and I kept thinking that I couldn't believe my parents let me watch this with them when I was younger. Of course, half the jokes flew over my head back then, but still. It's only now as an adult that I realize how lenient they were.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  12:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, vague memories of Latin in my University first year, taught by a strict Scottish Schoolteachery woman, a sort of real-life McGonagall without the fun side. I was hoping for 'goggle' actually Diri, but I agree with your gaggle and giggle too. I haven't changed email address, I just had no way to check it for about a month, in the moments when I had time to. I'm sorry I missed you guys, although looking back it was Father's Day and I was tied up. I shall answer people again now though

My boss has gone away until the beginning of August, so work will be a bit more chilled for a couple of weeks which is nice. It's quite hot here today and I am feeling a bit

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  15:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*bangs head on computer monitor*

I wrote about this in AFTTS. Got my test results back. Sort of. My most important test is not listed on my report at all. It's like I never took the test. I can't get in touch with them until Monday. They took my money, but no test results. I did get the results of my Middle School Mathematics test and I passed. Shocked about that one, but I made it just above the passing score. A college level calculus test would have been easier than that Middle School Math test. But my Business test, the one I'm really interested in, isn't listed. This is frustrating and takes all the fun out of passing Math.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  15:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Argh, Jo, that sucks! It's probably just a technical glitch that can be easily resolved. It's such a shame that you can't relax until Monday though. Congratulations on passing Maths. Well done.

*pours you some tea*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  16:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Jo, you're kidding - I can't believe they did that to you! Go you, Middle School Mathmatician

Is the maths test alone enough to qualify you to teach, or are there other demands? I remember you talking about the difficulties inherent in qualifying to teach in your state and it sounded a bit of a nightmare. Do you have to start with supply work, or did I just dream that? Sorry, I do listen to you really, I'm just a bit dozy about remembering sometimes.

I bet you did well on business too.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  16:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I got a hold of ETS and they said sometimes it takes longer for some scores. So who knows when I'll ever get my Business score.

Nuggy, I can file my test results with the state and they'll add the Middle School Math certification to it. I'm also eligible to add on Business Education because I have a two degrees, in Business and Education. So if I pass Business I'll be able to teach Business classes for 7-12 (ages 12-18), Math 6-8 (ages 11-14), and Elementary (ages 5-12). It's much easier (but still rather difficult) to get a high school job than it is Elementary.

The problem with getting a teaching job in PA is that we have such an overabundance of teachers. Since 2003 alone they've licensed over 90,000 new teachers in our state. For every one opening there are literally thousands upon thousands of applicants. We have 90 colleges and universities that grant certificates in PA. Going for high school Business will narrow the field down considerably. Plus it really helps when looking out of state since Business is not a common field to get certified in.

So now I have to wait for my other scores. I think they do this just to get more money out of you...which I refuse to do. If I had paid $25 today she could have told me for certain if my results were in for that test, but I won't pay it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.