Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  21:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are bear in the woods behind my house. There have been sightings here and there the past few years of bear in the area, but most people laugh and don't believe it. But the state game commission caught a momma and two cubs in the farm behind my house, tagged them, then released them back into same woods. So now I have to keep an eye out for brown bears.

I'm moving my bedroom around and finding junk I never thought I had. I'm kind of shocked at how many books I own. I was mentally adding up how much I've spent in the last ten years and quit. Now I know where my money has gone.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  23:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wowza, Jo.. don't leave out jars of honey and try not to BBQ any fish. Bears are menaces when they stop being afraid of humans.

I worked so hard this weekend I was ALMOST happy it was Monday. But - the guest bathroom is painted, the medicine cabinet it back in and it almost looks like it's a bathroom and not a construction closet. It's a good thing. The back yard is clean, too - a major triumph. But I'm soooooore.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  07:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, been back home nearly a week now. Apparently I made it back just in time for an "Indian summer", though so far I see no sign of any such season. However, apparently it rained for 60 days straight or some such craziness while I was away, so everyone's gone doolally because it's only drizzling sporadically these days. My mother dragged me to the beach yesterday, and while I love the beach, I think if you feel the need to wear a woolly hat and scarf and bring a brolly, it's probably not beach weather. New York has spoiled me.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  11:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Around here being at the beach when it rains is usually a bad idea. We get tremendous thunder storms. Lightning is impressive at the beach-- also a lot more frightening. Lots of wide open spaces with you as one of the highest points around next to a very large bit of water....

Only twelve days into the school year and I'm ready for a three day weekend! Our whole schedule has undergone a change so Saturday through Tuesday is a very busy part of the week. I feel like I've done nothing but run for the past two weeks, though I know it's not true.

My friends in NC have a black bear that roams their mountainside-- right past the house and down the slope. They have to be very carefull about leaving food out on their decks and closing garbage can lids tightly. They can't even put out seed for birds.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  11:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The storms in NY were amazing! I'd never seen forked lightening before. Once I got caught out in one and it was actually a teensy bit scary, but still very cool. We don't get storms like that over here at all. We usually just get buckets of boring rain.

That said, it's quite nice out today, but I have to stay in and work on a presentation. Gah.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  12:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was quite a shock coming down here after living in the PNW all my life. I love rain, but the rain in SC is so different. The Seattle area has days and days of on and off showers. I don't remember too many thunder and lightning storms coming through, just a nice steady soaking.

Charleston gets a few minutes of torrential downpour with spectacular sound and lights (plus flooding), then it all turns to steam as the sun comes out for the rest of the day. We used to have storms every afternoon. Then the weather patterns changed (probably that Global Warming stuff that "doesn't exist") and the afternoon storms stopped. We had years of drought. The last two years have seen a return of the summer-afternoon drench. The storms can be scary. Sometimes the thunder is so loud and close that it feels like an earthquake (I imagine-- not having experienced more than one or two tremours). Lightning is really harsh though. Husband is fixing/replacing fried computer equipment right and left. My brother-in-law had lightning hit a tree near his house. The bolt went down the tree (it exploded), blew out the cable lines, killed computers, routers, and phone service throughout the entire neighborhood.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  12:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, twelve days already of school! My local district's first day of school is tomorrow.

I love thunder and lightning, but wind is horrible. With this humidity and heat, scattered thunderstorms pop up every other day it seems. My mom was in the kitchen one day years and years ago and typing on an old typewriter (before computers) at the kitchen table. My dad said a bolt of lightning came through the screen door and hit the typewriter. Luckily she wasn't actually touching it at the time. After that story I've learned to stay away from windows and doors during a thunderstorm. A year or two ago my sister had a tree struck by lightning in her yard. It downed all the lines and the wind picked up their large trampoline in the yard and wrapped around the top of another tree. Of course, I'd rather deal with these storms than earthquakes.

Maybe the bear in the nearby woods are having parties with the coyote the state game commission stocked a few years ago. There's also rumors that a bobcat or two have been seen in the area. I'm starting to feel like I'm living in Grizzley Adams' territory instead of suburban Pittsburgh.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  07:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am back from my business trip. It was a desaster. I didn't even make it to Costa Rica, but had to spend 2 1/2 days Caracas, because I missed my connecting flights twice! I missed the first one because my flight from Germany was almost 3 hours late. Then Lufthansa booked me another flight on the next day. But then they forgot to collect me from my hotel, although they had explicitly told me to stay in the hotel until they would come and collect me. So, after waiting in the hotel for an eternity, I took a taxi to the airport, but of course I was too late then and missed the connecting flight again. I spend another night in a hotel and then finally Lufthansa showed mercy and took me back home again.

Thank god that I had 3 books with me!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh, U8, that's awful. How stressful for you!

I've been back at college two days, and I'm already beginning to feel like I never left. I'm only back in the country a week, but New York already seems like a distant memory. *le sigh* Back to the grindstone with me. Got a big presentation next week.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  15:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm back from Ballinskellig. That's a small collection of houses in the south-west of Ireland. It was loooooooooovely.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  08:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Ugh, U8, that's awful. How stressful for you!

All the time I was really afraid my boss would be angry with me, but then he wasn't. I don't know what I would have done without my HP book though.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  16:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
Welcome back to paradise Bee heehee. We are having a nice time with the weather but it was so miserable in July and August.
Schade U8! You poor thing. At least you did have Harry to keep you company. I can't believe Lufthansa - I have heard of them doing funny things before... Like overbooking the flight and instead of kicking people off who are only taking one flight, they kicked my friends off who had the connecting flight to caracas. Clever.
Wow Jo, I would be so scared. We don't have many scary things here in Ireland, although I have nightmares still about helping my dad to move cows/bull!!!
I'm starting to enjoy my job a little although I wish the managers knew what to do with me. Why is management so incompetent sometimes. I mean, it seems to be the same in most companies. They have people and don't know what to do with them. I think they are just afraid of making decisions.
I am going back to Italy on Sunday for a week. The lakes in the north. And Venice. Can't wait! Feel bad for leaving the dog though - she is so good. I'm thinking of going to a training class - agility training would be so cool!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  12:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the trip from Hades, U8. Somehow I had thought it was only the US airlines who excelled at making travel so unpleasant. No doubt just my overbearing US egotism.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  20:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I'm doing a reno of my bedroom and today's activity was cleaning out the closet...and boy did I find stuff. Remember those old halloween costumes made by the Ben Cooper company? Everyone in the 70s and early 80s wore them. I threw away four or five of them today. They were broken up and ripped, but it was nice reminicing about being Mickey Mouse or Smurfette. I found a ton of other junk too. I also tore down all the wallpaper. Tonight I still have to scrub everything with bleach, patch some plaster and let it dry. I'm beginning to be a joint compound expert, although I really don't want to be. Tomorrow I'm planning on priming and painting. I mentioned on the kissing thread that this room has turned into Pandora's box. The more I do, the more that needs to be done. Oh, the joys of having an old house.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/04/2007 20:59:20
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  00:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I feel your pain. I took down the wall paper in a 5X8 foot bathroom in June... it's still not done. removed paper, scrubbed walls, patched holes, replaced medicine cabinet, removed the lights, installed towel bars, shelves and hooks (patched the plaster, again), sanded, primed, painted.. oh yes and the paint started to bubble up after the first coast because it's got so many layers the bottom coat is starting to reject the top coats. Re-scrape, sand and prime.. paint and pray. All that's left is to replace the lights and I'm waiting for the electrician to come back for that one.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  10:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm beginning to be a joint compound expert,
It's always nice to have a fallback if you don't get enough subing positions this year.

My bathroom project has been ongoing for a couple of years now. It's almost finished. Just need to put up a curtain rod. Well, perhaps I should touch up the crown moulding, too. It's not the most comprehensive or best upfit ever, but it will do until this layer of paint begins to bubble up, too. My poor walls. The previous owners did some really unbelieveable stuff to this house in the name of cheap refurbishing (like spackling over paneling ).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  11:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen websites where people talk about how to spackle panelling to get a smooth wall look - it didn't SEEM to be a good idea, I guess now you know, eh Siobhan?

We have a 1940 house and the plaster walls were probably painted originally with oil or milk-based paint and most of it likely contains lead. So unless we want to pay professionals in moon suits to strip the walls, re-painting becomes a huge adventure. Will the paint bubble and peel? Happily, the bedrooms have not be painted as many times as the bathrooms. I know our master bath was once painted teal. When we picked up the carpet in my office, small specks of dark orange paint decorated the floor, leading me to think that sometime in the 1960s, the room had been .. yes, painted dark orange. It must have been groovy, but I'm glad I never saw it!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  12:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo, milk paint is impossible to remove. Hehe. I was worried about asbestos in my house until I was informed by my dad that the house was built before it became a popular building material.

My house was built sometime in the 1800s. Not exactly sure when, we haven't done a big deed search, but it's old. All the walls and ceilings are lath and plaster with maybe a century of wallpaper on most walls, old non-working chimneys in every room and was built long before electricity or indoor plumbing. The bathroom is in a basement so you freeze your butt off bathing in the winter. The electricity is old, probably put in in the 20s. We've got some of it replaced last year. My sister lives in my gram's old house and it's practially the same, but they're working on one room a year gutting and updating it. I'd rather tear down and rebuild, but our municipality has strict building codes.

I got the closet scrubbed last night, but I still have some plaster repair to finish in the top. So I may paint the bottom tonight and work on the repairs on top so I can move forward and fill the bottom up temporarily with boxes. I have boxes of stuff filling up the room and I can't continue until they're cleared so they have to go in the closet. It's sides are deep but too shallow for clothes so eventually I'm going to fit shelves into the sides and turn it into a craft closet since I have another clothes closet. That way I can organize all my knitting, woodworking, fabric, and other crap into one place instead of being scattered all around the house. That is if I ever get done.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/05/2007 12:15:10
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  14:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Sorry to hear about the trip from Hades, U8. Somehow I had thought it was only the US airlines who excelled at making travel so unpleasant. No doubt just my overbearing US egotism.

Oh, I think German airlines give the US airlines a tough competition when it comes to that.

After reading about everybodies problem with refurbishing their houses. I am really glad that I live in a rented flat in house that's just 5 years old. When I move out, I just have to paint the walls and that's it. I have always dreamt of living in an old house, but now I think this will only be an option if I marry a craftsman.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  22:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm supposed to have an interview tomorrow for a long-term sub position for a high school business teacher. This is the job I'd love, but it's an hour away. And that's cutting throuth the country. The odds of me getting it are slim and with the travel time I don't know if I'd take it if it was even offered. I'd be spending too much on gas and travel every week and that's not counting snow. I was going to go just for the interview experience, but I might just call tomorrow morning and say an emergency came up. I'll sleep on it tonight. Two hours of driving a day isn't much fun for a sub job.

On the upside, I got asked this weekend if I wanted to teach preschool. My sister used to work at a nursery with a woman who opened her own place and needs a teacher. Pay is crap, but it's a two minute commute and I could still sub around it. Plus, it would be nice to have something even semi-permanent. I told her I'd call her or stop down Tuesday.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  08:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the preschool position, Jo!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  13:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Jo - you have been saying you might have to move to get a teaching job. Wouldn't it be worth it to have a long, nasty drive for one year if it gave you a better shot at a permanent job? The preschool sounds convenient but I could NEVER teach preschool! That's just me, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  14:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cancelled it. The chance of getting in the district permanently are slim. It was only a temperary position for a few months. It would be a two hour commute during the winter months to a rural area. They didn't say it was temporary when I applied or I never would have. I'd drive that much for even half a year subbing, but not for two or three months.

Hehe, preschool doesn't scare me. Last school year I subbed primarily in Kindergarten, which I previously disliked but now am used to and am very comfortable in. I'm going down tomorrow to talk with her. For some reason, I can get the preschool jobs. I've been offered two others. Ironically, this is the same job I was thinking of applying for before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  20:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I start preschool next week, teaching...not attending. I'm going to do two or three days a week so I can still sub.

I have a second degree burn on my arm. I got it a few days ago when a pan slipped out of the pot holder and got my right inner arm right below the elbow. It was okay and healing and didn't blister or really bother me. Then a day later the skin peeled off as I was carrying grocery bags on my arms into the house. So now I'm doctoring with it. It's not big, about the size of a quarter, but it's not fun, either. And a bit painful.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/12/2007 20:55:54
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch!
Good news about the teaching, though.

It's been raining here. Autumn is beginning in earnest now. Our dogwood is turning a golden colour and the Bradford pear's leaves are going tie-dye. It looks groovy, man!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  11:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather is great here, 25 C and sunshine. What a beautiful autumn day. Autumn it my favourite season!

I am now the proud owner of a freezer. I bought it two days ago from Aldi and a colleague helped me to carry it all the stairs up to my flat. I already bought ice cream and frozen pizza.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas, we rarely have good autumns here, it's too wet, so the leaves don't turn, they just go brown. Two years ago we had a brilliant one, and it made the news. Last year was awful, but we caught up on the colours in Tuebingen.

Today was dark and windy, with very heavy rain. I like that every now and then, but not too often!

What kinda ice cream did you buy?

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  16:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's chilly here today, only 65. Hard to believe that Fall will be upon us in about a week.

Did anyone else hear about OJ Simpson being arrested for theft of sports memorabilia? Hopefully now he'll go to jail, even if it's not for the murders of Nicole and Ron.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some publisher is going to go ahead and publish his book. All proceeds go to Ron Goldman's family, I think (OJ still owes them from the civil suit). Personally, I think the whole "refusal to publish" was just media manipulation to create hype.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  14:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

What kinda ice cream did you buy?

Vanilla. I'll make apple strudel next weekend and we'll eat it together with the ice cream.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.