Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  16:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi to everyone
I was just taking a break from the internet for a while. I was enjoying reading DH so much - read the whole thing twice as well as lots of random chapters again and again. Everything I wished for and more!

Eeyore - good for you for making the decision to stop with the camp - nothing worse than feeling obliged to do something like that. I wish my mother would learn to make decisions like that.

Jo, I think the sound of the dishwasher starting up is one of the nicest sounds!

Good luck to all people in surgery.

I have read "down under". I remember one thing that shocked me - didn't he say that because of the rabbits in australia, all of the desert was created. rabbits ate vegetation, winds came and blew topsoil away. I think it was that book. Either that one or the science one. I thought that was bizarre and have always meant to look up to see if its true. do you know? I do remember that he seemed particularly charmed with Australia.

I booked flights to go to Italy in September for a week - anything to get away from the absolutely awful summer we have had in Ireland!
When are you back Bee?

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  19:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my dishwasher! And I'm running a load now. I got a portable because I live in a very old house and the kitchen isn't set up for a built-in, but I don't care. I'm still excited.

My brother-in-law's dad surgery went great. They already had him up walking today. They're trying to space out the visits now because the visiting hours are so restricted. I remember my dad didn't even like visitors when he had his bypass. They expect him to be in about a week.

It is sooooo hot this right now. It's not just the heat, but the humidity is unbearable. You take a shower and are sticky again by the time you get dressed. I got another migraine last night from going in and out of air-conditioning all day yesterday. This week, because the weather is going to be the same, I'm just to take something every morning as a preventative. Part of me can't wait for summer to be over just so these headaches stop.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  23:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steelers won tonight in the Hall of Fame game. The final score was 20-7. Nice game for Coach Tomlin's first time out. Hope they can keep it up.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  00:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh gimu, I've heard about the weather. Everyone's been whinging at me about it. Meanwhile I've been sunning myself in NY. Naturally, everyone hates me back home.

Only 2 weeks and a bit left - booooo. I'm not ready to go home at all. I've decided to give Boston a miss, because there is so much to do in NY and so little time to do it in. I'll just have to come back again someday to see Boston.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  01:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was 31 degrees Celsius in London yesterday. The humidity is killer. What else are you planning to do in NY Bee? Don't stay too long. You are not ready for a New York winter.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  02:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's got a while - Winter does not begin in September! I was in NYC last year in late October and I was hoping for rain or cold - I got 70 degrees and sunny. Bleh.

Nice, Jo! I can't believe it's almost that time again...

It's hard to think "Fall" when we were out swimming at 8:30pm.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  10:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The autumn green has already begun here. It seems early, but perhaps its just that I've become more observant. My in-law's birch trees have lost about half of their leaves. The lack of rainfall has a hand in all this, I'm sure.

We're headed for the summer heatwave this week. NWS has issued heat advisory warnings for our area over the last few days (that means the temp + heat index will be 105* - 110* F). All in all we've had a very mild summer. Nice that the real heat won't start till some of the kids are back in school. We start on the 13th-- Fifth Grade!

Daughter tested for her blue belt Saturday. The test took a full 1.5 hours. She was so tired afterwards, but very proud as she passed. This means she's an "upper belt" student. Her class schedule changes so that she's not in with the kids who mess around in class.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  13:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ai. My daughter starts 6th grade in 3 weeks. It's very strange to think she has only 1 year left before middle school - which was the all-time low-point of my life!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  13:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My nephew starts high school in a few weeks. He shouldn't be that old! He should still be about ten years old. He's playing football so now we're back into the Friday night games. No more peewee league. Our schools don't start until the last week of August. Around the 28th most schools go back. This is my last year of subbing. I've been doing it for three and a half years and this will be my fourth. This past year was going to be my last, but I want to build up my nest egg a little more before making a change. After this year I'm either staying in PA and getting out of teaching, or moving south. I really haven't decided yet. If a non-teaching job pops up I just might take it.

Soibhan, I think we're going to have an early fall, too. It just feels that way in the air. We've not had a summer this dry in a long time. It rained last night, but we need about two weeks of a slow steady rain.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  20:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got carded today while playing the lotto. You only need to be 18 to play the lotto and I'm 30. I was in the car with my dad and niece and they both had a good laught at it. Not only did she card me, but I had to go back out to the car and get my wallet when I was filling up gas tank, also. I doesn't happen as often anymore, but a few months ago I got carded for the same thing at a different store. The woman didn't believe my ID was real. I told her if I was going for a fake ID I'd make myself younger and have a better picture.

This might explain the reason I only attract 19 year old punks.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  02:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Retroactive underage gambling? The laws in the US just keep getting stricter.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  17:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee hee Jo! I used to always get stopped for ID. It doesn't happen so much anymore that I am the grand old age of 27, but the odd time it does. I used to get hassle trying to buy beer in Germany - you only have to be 16 to do that! It mostly happens if I go to buy a bottle of wine.

Bee, the weather here has been absolutely sickening, although not quite as bad as it has been in England, what with the floods and all. I kept thinking of all those who might have been enjoying DH but for that their house was flooded... In any case, I can't wait for my week in Italy. Might have a week in Barcelona with work in october too - not sure if the weather will be great then though...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  12:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still get carded at age 42. The cashiers are usually embarrassed when they see my birthdate (1965) and realize that I've been legal for over twenty years, sometimes even before they were born! Heeheehee.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  13:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, thanking the person for carding you is a dead giveaway.

Husband is constantly told he looks like he's about 7-10 years younger than he is. Makes me a little jealous.

We had an uncomfortable night. The power went out at 11pm and didn't come back till 5am. It wouldn't have been so bad except that the overnight temperature was 86*-- and humid! Some idiot hit a power pole at high speed then thought running away was a good idea. Figures he was drunk. They caught him and charged him with DUI. One report said that 1400 homes were without power. Just glad it happened at night instead of during the day. Yesterday's high was 99*. Can't wait for it to cool down some.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  15:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our power flickered yesterday but luckily didn't go out. We had widespread thunderstorms and flash floods in Western PA yesterday. A reported tornado or two went through, too. We got 3 inches of rain in one hour! Our basement got a little water, but that's it. I don't live in a floodable parcel of land. What's odd was that it wasn't just here or there, it was all of Western PA that got hit. Ohio got it (Pesky probably got pounded, too) and then it moved onto us. Philly probably got it late last night. We get widespread snow, but never thunderstorms like that. I'm never scared of storms, and usually love them, but yesterday's were a little disconcerting.

Oh, I was at the my beautician's today and her assistant thought I was under 21. I've been going to this woman for 15 years so she knows me, but her assistant has only been around about a year. She couldn't believe I was 30 and was telling me of a girl she knows that's 34 and looks much older because of years spent in the tanning booths. She said her skin is all wrinkly and like leather. I know I've come across some women my age or younger that I knew who look old because of this. I'm a pale white girl. I've accepted the fact and would rather be that than have leather skin.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been told I've looked about 8 years younger than I really am. Back in the spring semester of college, one of my professors asked me if I was in the Jump Start program.

I just got back from Massachusetts. It sure gets bloody cold really early up north.
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  10:22:43  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph--I was asked at the movie theater last month if I wanted a senior ticket--which is for those over 65, not 55. I was so annoyed I almost told her to skip it, but I wanted to see the movie and didn't want to drive some place else. Her friend that was working with her kept trying to get her to shut up, but she didn't take the hint. That's the first time that's ever happened--usually people guess me at my age or a few years younger.

I'm wondering what our winter will be like. We've had just a few hot days, and a lot of rainy ones. In fact, it's going to rain again today, after a nice sunny day yesterday, in the low 70s (that was perfect).

Well, we'll see.

Jo, good luck with the job--I know how frustrating that is to want to teach and not have the chance to do it. Good for you, sticking with the subbing though. I did it twice and hated it so much I had them take my name off the call list.

And Siobhan, give my congrats to your daughter--she's a very determined and dedicated little soul--shows in everything she does. (Hmmmm, wonder where she gets it? )

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  15:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got carded last year and I nearly wet myself laughing. Hasn't happened in a DECADE. And I've been over the legal drinking age for two. I look my age, in fact some days I look older - my kids have aged me! The fact that I don't wear make-up, frequently pull my hair straight back from my face because I can't fuss over it and generally forgot to wear sunscreen in the land of the brutal summer sun doesn't help my looks or my skin. I'm not very good at taking care of myself!

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  17:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, I feel so haggard compared to you lot. I look older than my age. I never carry ID at home because I haven't been carded since I was 17 or 18. I do get carded here in NY, but that's just because the legal age is 21 so I guess they have to be definite. I haven't been carded everywhere though, and I'm only 22. Woe. I don't smoke, I don't tan - it's not faaaaaaaaair. Myself and a girl I know have a theory that mono causes premature aging. I was always very young-looking for my age until I got mono. Bah.

I only have a little over a week left in New York. I wish I didn't have to go home. I'm thinking of changing my flight so I don't have to leave until the last possible minute - i.e. just before I head back to dreaded college. Only problem is I'm running out of money. And I don't even want to think about my credit card bill. It's so ridiculously cheap over here though I reckon I'd save money by staying longer. Ireland's madly expensive. I never fully realised it till I got here and saw the prices. And everyone here complains about how expensive NY is! Tch. I don't know why tourists bother coming to Ireland - they must nearly die of fright when they find out the cost of everything.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  17:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm a pale white girl. I've accepted the fact and would rather be that than have leather skin.
Me too. I am a moon worshiper (as opposed to sun). I guess there's a little Morticia Addams in my soul.

AMC, I don't wear make-up very often either. Can't be arsed-- especially as it just melts/sweats away here. I do take care of my skin though. It's probably my best feature, though lately I've had more breakouts than usual-- hormonal, I'm afraid.

Ah Eeyore, to be in the PNW sounds wonderful! We've had terrible heat this last week. NWS issued extreme heat warnings everyday. Now we're having heavy duty thunder storms-- the kind that dump buckets and buckets and provide a stupendous sound and light show to boot.

quote:
I don't know why tourists bother coming to Ireland - they must nearly die of fright when they find out the cost of everything.
The key there is that they splurge on their credit cards and don't do the math for exchange rates. It is a holiday, afterall.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  19:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to get carded quite frequently, but it hasn't happened recently. If the cashier is younger than me, I won't get carded, but if the cashier is older than me, I will. The last time I got carded was for an "R" rated DVD I was buying at Wal-Mart.

I get the young genes from my grandpa. His whole family looks young. My mom, sister and I have all inherited those genes. My mom's 59 and barely looks 50. My sister is 25 and she gets carded constantly (she finds it annoying now).

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  00:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am behind on my reading of Lady Chatterly's Lover. I promise to catch up and post my thoughts. I've been battling a three day migraine. It keeps rebounding. Not a full blown migraine, but more of a backburner. The cause might be bug spray. The other day we got a swarm of bees that invaded and sprayed and since then I've had a headache. It didn't bother me when I sprayed it and I couldn't smell it, but it's the only thing I can think of to cause it. It's finally gone this evening.

I used to get carded at Walmart for buying spray paint and glue. Now I usually don't because I guess they figure teenagers don't usually pay by checkbook. I got my young genes from my dad's side. I inherited his migraines, also.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  16:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a new dog today!

He is a 2 year old Dachshund Miniature Pinscher mix named Dobby. He was named by the rescue organization, and I chose to keep the name, since it was a HP one. He loves to be outside.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  18:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet! What's 'is Name?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  19:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

He is a 2 year old Dachshund Miniature Pinscher mix named Dobby.
Glad I'm not the only one who misses this kind of thing.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  20:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh! I read it twice, too!

Dobby - what a great name for a dog! No offense to House Elves intended.

Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  22:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pics, pics, pics!
I want to see Dobby!
Congrats, jkris

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going on businees trip to Costa Rica on sunday. The flight will take about thirteen hours and I am wondering which HP book I should take. GOF maybe? It musn't be too sad because I do not want to sit in crowded airplane and start crying in front of everybody.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  18:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, GoF would be good. PoA can be a bit of a tear jerker, but it is also quite thrilling. Perhaps it isn't long enough, though.

Wow, I've got a lot going on right now. We started school last week. Daughter's karate class schedule changed because of her new belt level, which also meant shifting her weekly visit to Granny's. I've been learning another tai chi form (the Yang style 42). I'm also working on the Yang style 18 fan form Husband got the DVD of for me. Then there's all my usual jobs plus hobbies. Yikes!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  06:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no way I could read PoA without starting to cry when Lupin and Sirius see each other and realize that none of them was the traitor. And then Snape thinking that Sirius was the traitor who got Lilly killed and nearly becoming crazy with rage.
GoF is sad too, but I think I'll be able to handle it better than PoA.
I'll also take "Inkheart" from Cornelia Funke with me.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.