Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  18:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Siobhan, why did you condense the pages of this thread?
I didn't. Don't know what happened, but will look into it.

Well, I've looked into it, and still have no answer. There aren't any huge gaps in the posting dates that would account for a drop from 89+ pages to 67. We have posts from June of 2006 all the way through today, so it is not the archive function. Unless the number of posts per page has changed, I don't know.

OK, we may have an explaination. Monday I changed the number of items shown per page to from 15 to 30 (so we could see more topics per forum over in the Restricted Section). This, we think, applies to the number of posts shown per page within a topic thread as well. We aren't certain why the page thing didn't resolve on this thread until today, but it may have to do with a lack of activity here. Once we finished off another page of posts (as we did Saturday), the change kicked in and adjusted the total number of pages in the topic, much the same as changing spacing and margins would on a word document.

Everything seems to be here, so I'm not too fussed about it.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  20:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Man. I hate it when I leave my glasses at home. I can use my computer without them, but I predict I'll have a headache by 2pm.

BAH.

Bee, that sounds like a fantastic night. In fact your whole trip sounds wonderful!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  21:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool, I was just curious.

I finished DH! I'll post in the other forum tonight and tomorrow after work.

Bee,that bar sounds so much fun. I would have been jumping up and shouting "I'm going to the Ministry of Magic!" with you.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  22:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, Philly is lovely - I'd definitely recommend it. It seems like the kind of place I could happily live in. It has an amazing foodmarket where I wasted most of my morning - the stuff there is delicious. We just did a whirlwind tour of the city so I still know very little about the place, but I got a very good vibe from it. I'd love to go back and explore it properly someday.

I'm absolutely shattered today. My 4am phone box adventure has caught up with me with a vengence. Work tomorrow... ugh...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  23:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, Philadelphia is also the murder capital of the U.S. right now. There's been a massive rise in murders there. So much for brotherly love. I've been wanting to go to the marketplace. I've heard so many great things about it. There's a restaurant there that I've heard is outstanding. He uses all fresh ingredients from the market and makes everything homemade, even down to the butter.

It's football time. Get our your Terrible Towels, Steeler fans. Coach Tomlin (so odd not to be saying Cowher) is in action. Doesn't look like Alan Faneca is going to be staying beyond this year. He's been on every station crying that he's gone after this year. Wish he's stop or the media would stop showing him, it's annoying. Tomlin better have a great season his first year out or Steelers fans will be calling for his head. Most of the players seem to like him, though. He's really young for a coach at around 34 or 35 years old. But then Cowher was that young when he started in Pittsburgh, too.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/29/2007 23:17:02
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  00:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was that Reading Station, Bee? One of my favorite spots in the city.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  19:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it was! It was amazing - I could have stayed there all day working my way through the stalls. Mmmm. Never got to have a cheesesteak though - the queue was really long so I just gave up. I guess it's an excuse to go back.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  19:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - You MUST have a cheesesteak - you can't leave the country else. It's in the customs booklet.. somewhere.

I adore Reading market, I particularly love the Amish stalls with these clean-scrubbed girls in caps and aprons. They look so wholesome it's hard to believe they aren't acting.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  20:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know! My friend thought they were fake Amish people at first.

I'm just looking over my photos from the weekend. Philly is so pretty:

I'm quite impressed with that picture seeing as I took it from a bus with a camera I bought in Aldi (cheapy Euro supermarket).

I think we're going to try and take a trip to Boston on our last weekend here. It sounds like a place I'd like.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 07/30/2007 20:18:22
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  20:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG Bee! Boston is awesome and I was just there!

If you need breakfast or lunch (and everyone does) find a place called "Flour" - there are two locations. We went to the one on Farnsworth but I gather they're both the same. We had awesome vegetarian sandwiches, great coffee and tea and some of the best baked goods I've devoured in recent memory. They even have good croissants - which is really unusual in the US. We liked their food so much we left early in the morning on our way out just so we could swing by there to get food for the plane.

http://www.flourbakery.com/

And go to the North end for italian food - So many good places to eat!

We stayed here:

http://www.bulfinchhotel.com/

We got a really good rate and we loved it - it's not the ritzy part of town but it's walking distance to the North End, Fanueil Hall and a lot of harbor stuff. Don't know what your budget permits but that area is less expensive than any place else that's close-in. It's an expensive city but so fun.

Edited by - AMC on 07/30/2007 20:58:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  21:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BeeI'm quite impressed with that picture seeing as I took it from a bus with a camera I bought in Aldi (cheapy Euro supermarket).

Hey! We have Aldi too, in Ohio. The closest one's only about nine miles from my house. A cheapie supermarket -- That's exactly what it is!

Did you get to see any of the historical sites in Philadelphia? I remember that being one of my favorite vacactions as a young child, along with Colonial Williamsburg. But then I can be a nerd sometimes.

Edited by - n/a on 07/30/2007 21:20:03
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  21:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weeeeell, I did get to see the playground from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air opening credits, and the Rocky steps, and the Macy's where they filmed Mannequin, so I reckon I fitted in all the really important cultural stuff. I also saw Independence Hall, but skipped the Liberty Bell as the queue was huge. Er, that's probably about it in the way of history. We went on one of those open-top bus trips with a guide, so he gave us a brief overview of what we were seeing as we drove past, and some of it was really interesting, but it's all a foggy daze in my head now. Some of the architecture was amazing though.

Thanks for the recommendations, AMC!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 07/30/2007 21:59:31
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  23:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, did you have a big pretzel? No cheesesteak, huh. One of the famous places that make cheesesteaks make you go to the back of the line if you don't order correctly and quickly the first time. Ohh, go to Atlantic City. Even if you don't gamble, and I really don't, it's a facinating seaside place.

We always went to Gettysburg every year...talk about being brought up a history nerd. My uncle lived near there so I've been over every part of that battlefield since before I could walk. Not the most exciting place on earth, but good for Civil War buffs. I don't know how my parents handled three kids on those weekend car trips. They must have been insane, or heavily medicated.

Pesky, you must live within the Amish, too, living in Ohio, don't you?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  18:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny.
(")_(")

Just had to try it out.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  22:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bugger. Just deleted my comment. I was going to say that, Bee, that photo of Philly is uncannily like Melbourne! If the river curved to the left and the main part of the city was on the right, it looks very much like the view towards Melbourne from the river near the botanical gardens! (Bit less smoggy here, though.)

Shall I post a photo for the hell of it? OK, this is from my trip to the Barossa Valley region of South Australia, a big wine-producing area. It was pretty wintery, but this photo came out well.

Poor sad looking vines in the background!

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  22:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just popping in to say that Eeyore says hello and she loved DH.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  22:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, Myf, that picture is gorgeous! Me and my friends are already plotting a mass emigration to Australia after we graduate.

Hello to you too, Eeyore! *waves*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  00:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We'll welcome you with open arms, Bee!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  11:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Australia seems like such a lovely place!

Hi Eeyore, where are you?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  12:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, how did the alchemy angle work out in DH?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  13:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee! Good lord, in all the hubbub over DH I forgot you were in the States! *slaps self* Don't worry about the Liberty Bell by the way; it's fakelore. It never actually tolled to draw people to the reading of the Declaration of Independence. It did toll on the deaths of the first few presidents though. If you ever come to London, I can take you to the foundry where it was made. It's still operating, and is the oldest manufacturing company in the UK.

So how was your time in the Northeastern Seaboard? I used to live there myself. Lovely apple juice, and yes, the Amish are sweet.

And did you get a big pretzel?

Myf, that picture makes me want to emigrate too.

In South Australia I was born!
To me heave away, haul away!
In South Australia round Cape Horn!
We're bound for South Australia!
Haul away you rolling kings!
To me heave away, haul away!
Haul away, you'll hear me sing!
We're bound for South Australia!

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 08/01/2007 13:42:28
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  19:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I seem to be doing a good job for Australian tourism here!

I just finished reading Bill Bryson's book about Australia, titled either Down Under or I Love a Sunburnt Country depending where you live. First, I don't get the different titles - I think the latter is the one used in the US, but how many people know Dorothea Mackellar's poem? I'd have thought the former title would have been more appropriate, and something people would have associated with Australia.

Anyway, I liked his book, but it felt so rushed - he darted around the country for ages but it really felt like he hardly saw anything (although of course he saw more of this country than I ever have). I think the bit that disappointed me (or maybe just threw me) the most is the fact that he likes Australia and Australians so much, He's constantly going on about how wonderful it all is. Call me cynical, but I liked his other books better when he's being all snarky.

Has anyone else read it?

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  07:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read bits of it, but like you said, I was turned off because he liked the country too much. No offence to your nation, but I wanted him to savage it the way he'd savaged Britain, America and Europe. What's the point of Bill Bryson if he's not gonna rant?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  17:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Precisely! He's great when in savage mode.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  18:25:20  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey,everyone--just wanted to let you know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I've been reading DH--am just about to finish the second time. Well, technically, I've already done that, as I'm on the last chapters and those were the first that I re-read. But better to go straight through. I loved this book--everything I wanted and more.

I've found though, that I just need a break from endlessly discussing it. I'm finishing the series as I began it--reading, enjoying and discussing with my daughters and random people at day camp and in stores--all face to face.

So anyway, we had a rather miserable week at day camp, as it rained (hard) for 3 of the 5 days. It was all we could all do to finish that last day, and technically we didn't--the last camper was picked up 30 minutes before the end of the day, and the rest of us left within 10 minutes--so we were all out of camp before the end.

And J. and I decided, independently of each other, that this is our last year as site directors. We did the overnight for the second week, and now I'm officially done--feels great, actually. I hadn't realized that somewhere in the last couple of years, it had become a chore rather than something I looked forward to doing.

Think I'll head off to B&N for a mocha (or something cold, perhaps), and finish the rest of DH--if I can manage not to cry in a public place, that is. We'll see how that goes.

TTFN and take care, y'all.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  18:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*waves at Eeyore*

*dances happily* I got a dishwasher. I got a dishwasher. Yes, dishwashers make me happy because I despise washing dishes. It's the housework I hate most to do. I have to learn how to use it because the last time I used one was about 20 years ago. It's so exciting getting new appliances to play with.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  20:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eeyore! Glad you enjoyed DH. Have fun discussing the book with your daughters. I enjoy that as well. Take care of yourself! *waves*

LOL Jo -- a new dishwasher is a joy! We got a new one just a year ago after having a non-working one for over five years. We just got used to doing the dishes by hand and never got around to replacing the old one. I wish I'd done it years sooner ... I can't believe how much easier it is to clean up after supper now.

Our family just received a shock. My father-in-law had some heart tests done yesterday, and they found so much blockage that they scheduled him for a triple bypass tomorrow morning. He'd been having some chest pains when he walked, and they thought he might need a stent, but nobody expected that. I'm just glad they found it soon enough, before he had an actual heart attack. With his degree of blockage, he likely would not have survived. *sigh* So we will be very busy for the near future, helping to care for both him and my mother-in-law, who is disabled from a stroke several years ago. It will be quite an adventure.

Edited by - n/a on 08/02/2007 20:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  11:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pesky, my brother-in-law's dad went in today for an emergency quad bipass. So today everyone's going ten million different directions. I have to get my nephew to football practice this afternoon, which messes up all my plans for today which means I don't get my dishwasher until next week. I'm hoping they'll hold it until Monday. I was supposed to pick it up this afternoon. My niece was worried because my stupid brother-in-law told her that survival rate is low. He can be an ass sometimes. Once she found out my dad had one years ago and a bunch of other people she knows has had heart surgery she was better. My dad never even knew he had a heart attack. It was about ten years after the fact that he found out and had triple bipass. The got migraines all the time and they told him the asprin he regularly took for them thinned his blood enough and saved his life.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  12:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He came out of surgery around noon and everything went well. I'm home right now holding down the fort and trying to clear my mind. I'm sure everything will be all right, but there is much to do in the meantime. Good luck to your brother-in-law's dad! I hope all went well for him too.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  14:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, everyone is going in for surgery. Must be the time of year, or something. My father-in-law's pancreas surgery went fine. The spot turned out to be a benign cyst. He's had trouble getting his system back in order, but now that he's home and off hospital food, he seems to be doing much better.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.