Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  17:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snort* The Tardis was all I could think of when Arthur and Harry were in that call box going to the Ministry. I know it's the wrong box, but I still snickered.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  17:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having HP dreams, but its so frustrating because I can't remember them in the morning. The harder I try to remember, the faster they slip away.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  20:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been having them, too, but can't remember them right now.

Okay, I've been spoilt! MSNBC ran a story about a supplier in the US sending the books out too early and then they gave away a big time spoiler about the two conflicting versions of the book on the internet and the number of main character deaths each book has. No names, but I don't even want to know the number. And they didn't even warn you they were going to talk about it. It was just unimportant information added to the article. I am majorly pissed off.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  21:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That really stinks! After all the will power you have exercised in keeping spoiler free!

I haven't heard anything about the texts on the internet, nor about who dies (that I believe at any rate-- I heard about one but it was really disreputable). So despite frequenting spoiler topics here, I don't feel spoiled at all.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's fun and all but bittorrent is just to complicated anyway.

Here's a funny little quibble. I edit JKR's Wikipedia article, and someone over there is all in a huff. Apparently he thinks that to insist her name be pronounced "rolling" instead of "growling" is anti-American, as "rolling" is the "British pronunciation." I wonder if he thinks Americans go bowelling.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 07/19/2007 06:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  09:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always figured a name is pronounced however the individual it refers to pronounces it. Same thing with spelling. But then when I've been in England everyone insists on mispronouncing my (real) name because it is the "correct" way to say it (perhaps it is because its an Irish name?).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  11:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Siobhan, a name is a name, and it's pronounced the way the person it refers to wants you to pronounce it.

English speakers can be rather arrogant where the pronouncing of names is concerned.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Uni next to me right now! She's come over from Frankfurt for the HP7 release, and I've been taking her on a Harry Potter tour of London. So far we've been to Kings Cross, Charing Cross Road, and Australian High Commisssion, aka Gringotts bank (it's closed, apparently Aussies consider it perfectly normal to have thier high commission open only two hours a day). We're just heading off to Leadenhall Market, one the sites for Diagon Alley. It's been a blast, and she's really sweet :)

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww, that sounds like so much fun! What a great way to pass time until the book release. Please keep us updated!
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi this is Uni. I am in a cyber cafe together with Diri (it took us ages to find it, but now we have finally made it). London is crowded and loud and really, really great. I recommend that everybody should visit it.
Diri is very nice and keeps showing me the best Harry Potter places in London.

Can you believe that it is only 1 day until the book will be released?

P.S. The keyboard is weird!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*waves to Uni and Diri*

Hope you guys have a ton of fun!

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  13:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like great fun, guys!

I enjoyed London a great deal the times I've been (they were well before HP).
Wish I could be there!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there UniDiri! DiriUni? Hope you have a great time - are you going to get the book together? Glad you are enjoying London!
I haven't been badly spoiled so far, so now I am going to avoid internet and news until I have read the book - so Good Luck everyone with remaining spoilerfree, and sorry to those who already have been spoiled (BTW I don't consider the chapter titles spoiled - thats just teased...)
Have a great time reading everyone.
*HUGS*
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you see the New York Times printed a spoilery review of DH from a unexpected released book? How shameful of them! I know they were peeved in the past because JKR wouldn't allow them early access to the book for reviewing, but this is disgusting. Horrible! I haven't read the article and I won't! I refuse to read anything HP related from now on.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*waves at Diruni* Hey guys! So glad you're having a good time. Are you meeting up with anyone else? Kind of wish I was in London right now - when I met Diri there it was such a glorious warm day... *shivers in the rain*

The NYTimes is crapola for reviewing it now. What a stupid thing to do.

I just got sent a pdf file entitled 'HP and the Deathly Hallows', with the message saying just 'Heh heh heh'. From a friend, I should add, not just some random. I stupidly opened it, but then thought 'WHAT AM I DOING!!' and deleted it before it loaded. Maybe on Sunday I'll go and retrieve it from the trash and see what it is - I bet it's just a joke but what if I had spoiled myself through sheer stupidity?

Hey! 24 hours to go...

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  23:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Constant Vigilance, Myf! And keep that wand out of your front pocket!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  23:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waa! I'm so excited. This time tomorrow I'll be queuing!

The new plan is: queue at midnight, read throughout the night, go to the beach the next morning, spend all day reading on the beach, finish book before meeting old friend who I haven't seen in ages for dinner and drinks. Then and only then do I get to sleep. Whew.

Siobhan, English people most definitely can't pronounce your name! Their vowels are weird. Tell them they're just talking crazy.

Hey diri and Uni! Hope you're having loads of fun in London.

Gotta go cause my roomie's trying to sleep. Next time I talk to you lot we'll have READ THE BOOK!

How am I supposed to sleep with that thought in my head?!!!!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  17:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it was quite rainy this morning and we got completely soaked. We went to the zoo and had a look at the reptile house. Afterwards we went to the cinema and watched Ootp. Then we travelled to Baker Street to have a look at the Sherlock Holmes Museum located there.

Now it's just 2 hours until we'll get the book!!!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  17:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you are probably already preparing to head out to get your copies of the book. I am so jealous, but luckily I will be busy this evening. I heading into a meeting soon and will be off work after that, so have a great read everyone and I'll see you here Sunday evening when I've finished DH.

Hugs to everyone.
Theo

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  22:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I said my previous post was the last one before I read DH, but I'm just so excited I'm about to burst. It's 10pm here, and Uric the Oddball just texted me - she's on chapter 3! I'm so jealous - that's meant to be MY TIMEZONE! Arrrgh!! I burnt off some energy by buying ridiculously high shoes in Macy's, but it's not enough to distract me. So. Bloody. Excited. And for the first time ever I'm utterly and completely spoiler-free. I'm not sure how I managed it - even my roommate, who has never read a HP book, knows some spoilers.

Ohhhhh, I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait. I am such a child.

Hope you all have a wonderful time reading the book. Meet you guys back here on Sunday (got plans all day tomorrow and tomorrow night, which means I'll be missing a whole night's sleep - ugh - I'm too old for this fandango). In the meantime: Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  22:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, you're not a child, this is just our version of Christmas. Heck, this is way better than Christmas morning.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  15:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just stopping by to say that I am back in Germany again. My flight was really unpleasant. The plane had to fly through a thunderstorm and got even struck by a lightning . Fortunately everything turned out well.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  16:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh Uni I'm sorry. I hope you didn't get too much of a shock. Still I'm glad the pilot seemed to know what he was doing. The elements did not smile on us this weekend, did they? Still, I have a certain pride in our managing to navigate the deserted byways of London Zoo as the waters whelmed about our ankles. You might be interested to know that that single hour-long storm we endured dumped two months worth of rainfall on the south of England.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  17:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah... It is so nice and quiet in here. Everyone is off chewing away about Deathely Hallows, and I'm here drinking tea and eating all the chocolate.

Anybody need a sweater?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  21:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only at Chapter 29 right now.

Siobhan, why did you condense the pages of this thread?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  22:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, so that's where you've been JKRiS. You have lots to catch up on. Don't worry, we're not done discussing it. I'm still a bit shell shocked from the reading.

*discards the hot tea and looks for a glass of iced tea* Yum, very refreshing on a hot summer night.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I brought the English weather with me when returning from London. Since then we haven't had a day without rain. But I have heard that it has been even worse in the UK (flooding in Gloucester).

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  14:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*wanders in* I could do with some tea.

I had the most fun day yesterday. I went on a daytrip to Philadelphia with some friends. It's a lovely city - I really enjoyed being there. We got the train back and arrived in Manhattan around midnight, and one of my friends and I felt like we didn't want the day to end just yet, so we called up some American people we know, hopped on a subway going downtown, and ended up at a secret bar. It's hidden at the back of a fast-food restaurant and to get in you have to go into a phone booth, pick up the receiver and say the password. If you don't know the password but they like the look of you, a secret panelled door opens at the back of the phone booth leading into the bar. So we did that... and got in! Obviously I wasn't the one to go into the booth as I was a) wearing my casual clothes from Philly, covered in dirt and grime and - frankly - smelling a bit by this point, and b) too busy jumping up and down squealing "I'm going to the Ministry of Magic! I'm going to the Ministry of Magic!" It's a miracle they let me in at all, but they did, and it was amazing. It was like being in a well-furnished cave with a full bar. It was so much fun. Eventually collapsed into bed at 6.30 - a whole 23 and a half hours after I first left it.

Now, maybe the Americans here are like, what's the big deal? There are loads of secret bars! But I've never heard of such craziness! A secret bar back home would not remain secret for too long, believe me. It's at times like this that I really feel like a hick. And I love it!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 07/29/2007 14:17:41
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  14:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LMAO, I can just see you yelling that your going to the Ministry of Magic. I would have done the same thing. What did your friends think? If you met a Weasley then send him on down to PA. :)

Yeah, we have secret bars in here, too. My neighbor up the road actually held a speakeasy and we didn't even know it! The only way it got out is something mysterious happened and a dead body ended up in the middle of the road about a mile away. They hushed that up really quickly. Eventually the ATF closed them down. I always loved the nights the Liquor Control Board came to town at college. All the bars had a kind of hotline so they were warned each other so the underage kids could escape.

How did you like Philly? I've only been to one part, and that's the slums. I was on my way to Atlantic City and we took the wrong turn. I'd love to go see it proper someday.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  16:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent a lot of time in Philly during my college years - it's a fun town and I've always liked it. But I have NEVER gotten into a bar by way of a phone booth! That's GREAT! It's actually an old-fashioned concept that goes back to the days of Prohibition - in those days all bars were secret - rent "Some like it Hot" for a great bit of film on that. I have no idea if we have any secret bars in L.A. - probably! We have lots of illegal clubs but they move from place to place and they're called Raves. Not that I go to any - I'm too old and staid.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 07/29/2007 16:34:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.