Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  14:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dobbygirl, we got a storm like that the other day also. I was driving in middle of it and had to pull over twice. I was hyrdoplaning and so glad nobody was coming toward me. It just came down so fast and so quickly. We desperately need rain, though, and not a torrential downpour. A nice slow steady rain for about a week or two would do it.

I, too, love the red and gold background. So Gryffindory.

Theowyn, I didn't think it was a spoiler at all. Just discussing the likelihood of Harry's death.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  15:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need rain too - so badly!

It's safe enough Theo, some people don't want any spoiler discussions and I was trying to keep them away with the title. I think I enticed people instead - I'll change the title to make it less interesting.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  17:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AMC, I thought that thread would turn out to be you saying, 'See, you thought you could hold strong in the face of spoilers, but I'm here to show you that you can't!' Trickster.

Oof. How is it that I can get FOUR more hours sleep last night than the previous night and stil be tired this morning?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  20:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too funny Myf - I would probably have done so if I wasn't so obsessed by thoughts of Book 7 right now.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  20:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, here's a question whcih doesn't really merit it's own thread, especially as it's so inconsequential.

Last night at dinner, the Boy's mum mentioned that she'd seen JKR being interviewed on some show on telly, and commented, 'She looks completely unrecognisable from a few years ago! She's had a heap of plastic surgery.'

My response was twofold: first, bzuh? really? I wouldn't have said so, because I think she doesn't look that different, just better groomed etc (which probably comes with being a billionaire), and second, who cares anyway?

So what do you reckon? Has she had work, and why should anyone care if she had?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  20:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only change I've noticed was going from a redhead/brunette to a blonde and a haircut. Really, I don't think she's had surgery, but it is inconsequential to me.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  20:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't think so. Like you said, she just looks more groomed.

Some of it's filters on camera and makeup. Have you ever watched Larry King Live? He has an anti-aging filter on his show that somehow erases some of the wrinkles. He showed a side-by-side comparison of what people look like without it. Many newscasts have now incorporated it into their camera work.

I personally don't like the thought of plastic surgery for myself. I don't know if I'd ever get it. I've had a forehead wrinkle since I was a teenager from squinting that bothers me, but that's it so far. The only thing I'd really consider is a breast reduction. I've had a few cousins who have had the surgery and said it was the best thing they ever did. So it's something to consider in the future.

I need a haircut. Actually, I need a new perm. I loved my last one, something I haven't liked since the 80s, but it's more wavy than curly and added body to my limp fine hair. It's getting quite long, so I don't know whether to let it continue and have really long hair or cut it short. I've never had it longer than right below my shoulders. I always get the urge to chop it short when it's just getting long, and I'm getting the urge now. I think I'm just going to get more layers put in and have my grown out bangs blended into the rest of the hair.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/10/2007 20:41:44
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  20:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered if Jo had got an eye lift, or perhaps she's just been getting more sleep now that HP's done. In any event, she looks great, like she's happy in her own skin, and that's what's important. It doesn't matter how she got that way, I'm happy for her.
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  08:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really care if she did have any surgery done; that's her business. If she does look any better, it could be because she's got three kids that she adores and a loving husband. A happy family life can do wonders for a person (being richer than most of the world helps too).

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  18:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo doesn't seem the type for surgery, somehow. I agree with dobbygirl that it's probably her life that is making her look good. A happy (or unhappy) life can make such a difference in someone's face.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had another HP dream last night. I think brought on by reading SS last night and watching Emma Watson on Letterman (boy was she nervous). Anyway, I was reading and it was only about the length of the first three books, a bit skinny, and horrible! I was 3/4ths through reading and there was no resolution of anything, no romance, no horcruxes, no real fighting. It was just like 300 pages of filler. I kept thinking that there wasn't even enough pages left to have an epilogue. What a crappy way to end the series! I think I'm going off my rocker.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, Jo, stop having dreams like that!

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  13:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from New York! I've been here nearly two weeks now and I'm having a ball. The city's amazing - I love it. Haven't done too much in the way of touristy stuff, though I've gone into Manhattan a few times. Mostly just wandered around the shops and Central Park, just finding my bearings. It's a surprisingly easy place to navigate.

I spent a few days in Washington DC as well which was also really nice, though the streets are really confusing so I spent most of the time getting lost. It's nice that it's small enough to walk everywhere though, and there was always the excellent underground system if I got really, really lost. Did a bunch of touristy stuff - museums (amazing!), White House (the front garden is really small - the Bush family must feel like animals in a zoo... not that I saw any of them of course), Washington Memorial (huge), Arlington Cemetary (beautiful) etc.

Work is quite hard and scary. But we shall persevere. The client groups are really interesting though so I'm already learning loads.

Er, that's about it! Can't believe DH is out in a few days - I'm completely out of the HP loop at the moment, which is such a shame as this is my very last chance to enjoy the build-up (*sob*). I must make it my business to drop by here more next week. I still haven't a clue how I'm going to get my book. I think there's a Barnes and Noble near me, but I'm still very unsure of how to drive the car (the hugeness is ok, as is the fact that it's an automatic - it's more the staying on the right side of the road which poses a challenge). Also, do I need to preorder? Is it too late to do that?

Gotta go get showered and dressed. Off to a free concert in Central Park - hurrah!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 07/15/2007 13:32:31
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  17:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey bee!!! great to hear you got there and are having a good time!
I know what you mean about DH. I was down in Kinsale yesterday and was lookin in a few of the bookshops. They are having different kinds of parties. Originally I was going to be going in to Waterstones in Cork city but they didn't seem to have anything planned except that they were opening at midnight to sell the book. Now I am going with a friend, who is also HP crazy (but I didn't know it until recently - she is actually more of an aquaintance) we are going to a book shop in Midleton. She said she asked what the craic would be there, and they said they are having more of an adult orientated party - not just geared towards children as some of the other parties are. Shouldn't children be in bed at that time anyway?
So am I the only one worrying that I could be missing out on some brilliant party somewhere? A part of me will just want to get my book and leave... I have a bit of a drive to the airport (duh ) on the Saturday, so maybe the audio book could be nice...

Edited by - gimu on 07/15/2007 17:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  17:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yay, Bee is here! Darling, have a wonderful and fun time.

I actually couldn't care less about the event the place I buy the book from has, but then again, we're not waiting around all night for it. Mostly I've arrived about half an hour early for the release, laugh at some of the costumes, duck out again for a coffee and then scurry away with the book. Even if they didn't have anything 'organised' per se, I reckon the atmosphere of a shop full of booklovers would make it fun.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  07:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bee! So glad to hear you're having fun in NY. I've only been there once (in 99) and stayed in mid-town Manhattan (right next to Grand Central Station). I wish we could've spent more time in Central Park, but we were short on tourist time, so we were there maybe an hour. It was beautiful though. So weird to see so much green in the middle of all those buildings.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  11:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a fun day yesterday! We drove to Columbus to see OotP in IMAX, then shopped for a while, then we dropped in on the Pottercast Tour at Borders yesterday evening. It was a looooong day, but a great build-up for the book release next weekend.

I liked seeing the film in IMAX 3D, but only once. The whizbang special effects were fun to watch, but they almost distracted from the story a bit too much. Otherwise, I liked the film even better the second time around, because I wasn't being distracted by what was missing (If you know what I mean). I'll probably see it one more time, with my husband this time, then wait for the DVD to come out.

The Pottercast was a lot of fun too, and a surprising number of people showed up. We were there early enough to get fairly decent seats (on the floor), but plenty of people were standing, many behind the bookshelves. A lot of people even came in costume (including one rather convincing Snape), and even more at least wore HP or Leaky Cauldron T-shirts. We went as ordinary muggles. I have to say, this was about the nerdiest thing I've ever done in my real life, crammed on the floor with scores of costumed people talking about a book, but it was too much fun. Considering I've listened to a grand total of one Pottercast ever, I really got into it. The crowd was wound up, which helped a lot. We didn't really hear any new ideas, but at least the old ones were discussed with humor. It was a lot funnier in person than I remembered the podcast being. Anyway, it wound up being much better than I expected.

Then when I got home, there were the Chapter Titles and opening lines in the Restriced Section. Yes, I'm weak and looked at them. But to me they seem more like teasers than spoilers, and that's just what I need right now to pass the time until Friday night. Egad ... Friday night! Four more days! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Edited by - n/a on 07/16/2007 11:17:02
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  13:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to my favorite Independant book seller - I try to avoid spending money at the big ones, as they force the little guys out of business. They're having a midnight party with a band which I think will be more adult-oriented then a second party starting early in the morning for the kiddies, which I think it perfect. I'm going to the midnight party - I've never been to one so this should be fun.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  07:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I can take this anymore!!!! I want to read those chapter titles sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad

I think I'm just going to head offline, at least until I leave to pick up the book. I don't know. I could change my mind tomorrow.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  12:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dobbygirl, I commisserate with you. I'm trying to be soooo good and not look at them, but it's soooooooo hard. I hate this.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  12:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's only - 4 more days girls. You could be living in a nation where it won't be released for a while - THAT would truly suck. We had one guy in the banana boards who lived in.. Cuba or Grenada. We were waiting for GoF and he said it wouldn't be released in Spanish locally for 6 months! He was going to fly to Florida after a couple of months to get a US version. So.. count your blessings, your torture will be relatively brief.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  17:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That was El Cazador, wasn't it AMC? I think he might have been in ... Guatemala, perhaps? No, that's not it. Would El Salvador be right?

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the first... and last!... time I've ever stayed spoiler-free. I haven't even peeked at the chapter titles. I'm so proud of me!

I've learnt to drive well enough to get myself to the bookshop without causing injury to anyone. Now my dilemma is, do I get it at midnight or wait till morning? I'm sharing a studio flat with another girl and I don't want to keep her awake, but if I wait then I lose my Saturday completely, which would be such a shame because I'm only in New York for a few weeks. Hmmm, decisions decisions.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  18:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooooh, I just had a brainwave! Get book at midnight, wait till roomie is asleep, then climb into the bathtub, et voila! A well-lit place to read away from sleeping folk. She'll hardly hear me squeeing/sobbing from there.

Ohhhh, now I want to know the chapter titles....... Must. Resist.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  21:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, glad to hear your having a good time.

Do you guys think I'm too old for this bed:

They make it in a full/double size. Isn't it just the coolest. Just think how much fun you could have walking the plank.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  22:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there I go, back to the reading topic...

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  06:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, my gosh Jo! Where can I get one? I'm sure Hubby wouldn't mind. I think a double might be too small though. We have a queen and we're a tight squeeze in it. I should mention that we're both bed hogs.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  11:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Well there I go, back to the reading topic...

Yeah, I went there, too, when I first saw the bed, Siobhan. It has all kinds of possibilities.

Dobbygirl, the bed costs $7,000 without all the special effects and unpainted. You can get lighting, painting, and sounds added. I actually would have fallen in love with this bed as a little girl over the castle and house playbeds also available. When I was seven years old my parents bought me a large oil painting for Christmas of a brigantine ship that reminded me of a pirate ship. I still have it hanging on my wall. I got to go on the Brigantine Niagara up in Erie a few years ago and loved it. They used to only allow volunteers to ride it and there was a 1-3 year waiting list and training, but they just started taking day cruises and I'm sooooo eager to go on one. I must have been a sailor in a former life. My only problem is I hate seafood. I'm a land-lubber with my food.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/18/2007 11:38:41
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  11:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd hate to be the friend with a truck if it came moving time.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  16:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Right: who's having HP dreams? I'm having them every night.

The last two:

- Harry is a Timelord and travels about in a TARDIS.

- Harry, Ron and Hermione do a lot of hiding at an old abandoned beach house, staying out the way of old, fat, and stupid Death Eaters who never think to look just around that next corner. Ron is in love with Hermione, but she's in love with Harry. Harry is asexual and couldn't care less, so Ron and Hermione hook up. The issue about defeating Voldie goes unresolved but they do have a massive party, which McGonagall attends. In the beach house too, by the way, which I've just remembered is in Anglesea, Victoria, and belongs to a friend - she had her 21st there.

OK, so who can top them?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.