694 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news on both counts, Bee!
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I've the money more or less sorted out, and by that I mean I sent my friend a text message saying, hey let's give this guy some money. So now other people are going to do all the work, which is just how I like it. I stay well away from the purse strings.

quote:
What'll you be doing until you go to NY?

Er, pretty much just sitting around watching daytime television. I've only got five weeks off, so I felt it wasn't worth getting a job. I'm beginning to regret that decision now though, because I'm starting to get a bit bored. Not to mention that the money would be really handy. I do have loads of college stuff to do, but I'm so sick of books and articles that I'm avoiding them like the plague at the moment. Maybe next week. This week is devoted to being as lazy as humanly possible.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 05/31/2007 10:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  12:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

My cellphone plays Hedwig's Theme. I was in class one day and didn't realize my phone was turned on and it started ringing. A few kids in class yelled out "Harry Potter". Not very many people have this ringtone. It's great in stores because I know right away if it's mine or not.
Mine too! The first time it rang, I was watching Daughter's karate class. I had completely forgotten it was my ring so I was sitting there enjoying the music till it occurred to me that they weren't playing, my phone was!It is a great ring because it starts off so quietly-- doesn't annoy people.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  13:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember my ringtone, though obviously I'd recognise it if I heard it or it wouldn't be much good to me at all. It's just some sort of neutral bleepy-bloopy thing. My friend used to have the Murder, She Wrote theme tune, and I always coveted it.

I'd love a new phone, but I can't bring myself to pay for one while my current one is still working. It's a horrible phone - so fiddly and awkward - I can barely operate the damn thing. I've hated it since I bought it and keep waiting for the bloody thing to just hurry up and die already. It's been over two years now, and no joy.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  17:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother-in-law's cell phone plays "Who's Your Daddy" by Toby Keith if one of the kids call and Black Sabbath's "Evil Woman" if my sister calls.

I got a letter today in the mail fron the school district I applied to. I was so upset because it was a rejection and I didn't even get an interview. So I'm walking up the driveway and opening, expecting bad news, but it was an appointment letter for an interview next Wednesday! I applied for both the elemtary teacher and computer teacher, but the interview is for computer which is what I really want. This is a dream job for me. The only glitch is that they want my teaching portfolio, which I have, and a video of me teaching a lesson...something I don't have! It's a required component for student teaching, but the schools I was placed in didn't allowed videotaping so everyone in my school placement was waived from this requirement. And school is out to do one during substituting. So I'm hopping they don't knock me out because of it. I really, really, really want this job. So everyone put out some positive thoughts, prayers, or whatever you do for me. I need it.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  18:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, Jo!!!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  22:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your interview, Jo! I hope you land your dream job.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  23:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The teaching field is so competitive in PA that it's unreal. There are usually 3 or 4 rounds of interviews you do as a teacher in PA. First with the principal. He picks a handful of candidates and forwards them onto the Superintendent. He interviews those and then pick two or three to go before the school board for a public interview with the board. Then you have to teach a model lesson to the school board. I don't know how I would do it for a Computer Teacher job as there are no computers in the meeting. Then the school board picks who they want to hire, often not the best candidate but someone's nephew or friend. So the probability to get through all those levels of interviews and end up with the job aren't good. I was shocked when I went to the teacher job fairs and found out that southern states do their hiring totally different. Usually it's only one or maybe two interviews at the most.

I still have some work to do on my teaching portfolio. I'm horrible at updating it. I, too, suffer from severe procrastination. So this weekend will be marathon session of writing rationales for the artifacts I include in it. Sometimes I wonder how I made it through my University work with writing papers an hour before class.

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/31/2007 23:25:26
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  05:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jo, the selection process sounds unbelievably intense! Best of luck with the interview - I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for you! x

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  09:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Jo!! I really hope you get the job!!
Wow - weekend already - can't believe that. I start my job on Tuesday - am getting a bit nervous about it - not sure what to wear. They didn't mention a dress code, but I'll probably avoid jeans on the first day anyway. I never like to wear good clothes to work in the lab - as soon as I wear something good, it gets destroyed. (acid seems to get everywhere - well in uni it did anyway)
Wish you all a nice weekend...
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  02:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gimu, my (lab inhabiting PhD) spouse used to wear torn jeans and raggy t-shirts to work. One in a while I'd find a shirt with teeny tiny holes across it - laser burns.

I need some new clothes for my job too - can I spent your L130? (Can't do pound symbols, sorry) I just got paid but it's all gone.

YAY JO! Positive vibes your way.

I've just wasted a ton of time on YouTube watching old Queen performances. It's a good thing I work.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  06:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so this is my car:

And this is the "car" I'll be driving in New York:

... on the right-hand side of the road. I am very afraid.

Why on earth would anybody even need a 4x4 for city driving?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 06/02/2007 06:25:14
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  07:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you really going to be driving a big car in NYC? I would have thought you could manage with public transport there, but then I am not sure what you are going to be doing there...
I went to a friends last night for dinner and had 2 glasses of wine - I feel really ill today. I don't know if it was the food or the wine. Her water tasted funny... I don't know what it was
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's probably the water, gimu. I haven't drank the water in my locality in about 10 years - it's disgusting. We have a boil notice on every few weeks - if the boil notice lasts beyond a certain number of days then the council are legally obliged to do something about it, so they keep issuing a notice and lifting it every few weeks so they don't have to bother actually doing anything about it. I used to drink the water when I lived in Galway - thought it was pretty decent. Didn't realise it was full of faeces. Mmm, cryptosporidium... or whatever it's called.

Apparently, I can't rely on public transport to get to and from work in NY, so giant monstrosity of a vehicle it is!

My brother was in a car accident today. He's okay, just shaken up. Nobody was hurt and no other vehicle was involved, so it's all being taken care of without much hassle. He's a few hours away up the country though, and won't let me come pick him up and bring him home, even though he's really nervy and shook. He's going to stay at his friend's for the night. I hope he changes his mind - I think he'd feel better if he came home. I'm feeling a bit shook myself. I was going to go out tonight, but I think I'll just stay in and watch a film accompanied by a large brandy. If I'm not on brother rescue duty, that is.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 06/02/2007 12:18:18
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear - hope he is ok! My silly work obsessed brother had an accident starting a cement mixer at 7pm on a friday evening 3 weeks ago. He was almost knocked out, broke his nose and split his lips. He ended up getting an infection and being hospitalised for 4 days over it. He is 23 and has his own building contracting business. Is married with 2 kids - much more grown up than me... Anyway, we're all hoping it will have knocked some sense into him...
Yummy cryptosporidium... Its ridiculous - Ireland is no longer a poor nation, we should all have access to clean water!!!
I agreed I would go meet some friends tonight in the hotel bar down the road - I think it'll be diet coke for me tonight...
What date do you go to the US?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  14:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope your brother's OK Bee! And lol about your New York monster car. It looks as if it could eat your little one!

I had the worst Harry Potter nightmare two nights ago. I dreamed that it was HP7 release day, and we all got our Deathly Hallows books through the post. The only problem: we only received the first half of the book! We waited and waited, but the second half never came. Then the publishers said we'd have to wait another two years for it. I never want to have that dream again!

Edited by - n/a on 06/02/2007 14:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  14:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gaaah, that's a horrible dream! *shudder*

gimu, I leave for New York on July 3rd - only a month away now!

Mam's going to ask my uncle if I can drive his tractor around for a bit in preparation for my monster truck. Heh.

Wow, gimu, your brother's nearly the same age as me! I can't imagine having achieved all that at his age - I'm not even remotely grown up yet. Glad he's ok after his accident.

I'm exhausted after the stresses of today. Probably doesn't help that I was out last night as well. It was a bit of a late one. Can't stop yawning. Do we have a yawning smilie?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  15:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, its crazy he was married at 20 - I suppose 20 years ago it wouldn't have been unusual.
Bee, I hope your brother is ok - not too shocked. Maybe its for a reason - to help him drive more carefully... I believe things happen for a reason. Well I'm in that kind of a mood today - thinking...

Come to Cork if you're at a real loose end Bee - only not next weekend; I'm going to Leiden in the Netherlands (my other half is going there for work and its my birthday when he's away, so I'm travelling there to be with him).
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  17:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, I live in the boondocks one a one lane country road that gets snow in the winter and I drive a little Chevy, not some big honking monster. I'd hate to drive that in the city. I'm not a city driver, but most most city drivers can't drive out where I live. The road apast my house is one lane so if another car is coming you have to either go almost off the road or back up to a wide space to pass. Makes for interesting driving.

Pittsburgh was practically closed down the other day. The major way to get into the city is by one of the major tunnels that the parkways use. Someone called in a bomb threat the other night, but didn't specify which set of tunnels so three sets were closed down. The city was a standstill because naturally the threat was called in during evening rush hour. The FBI is investing now. This was Thursday night and naturally I had to go into the city on Friday morning! Traffic was the normal bottleneck by the next day, though, thankfully.

I'm such a procrastinator. I still have rationales to write for my porfolio, but I've spent most of the day reading a book. I'm at the point right now that I'm thinking "Well, it takes me 20 minutes to write one rationale and I need about 12 more done so ...." I wanted to finish them today and have three days to prepare for the interview, but I'll probably finish tomorrow, still giving me two days. I've tried to fight procrastination with planning, but it just never works out.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  19:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, me, Jokelly and Sioban shouldn't be in the same room together when our cellphones go off. We'll all be diving for them! I just re-downloaded Hedwig's theme for my ringtone (at least until Deathly Hallows comes out). One of the ladies at the cellphone place had "Crazy Train" by Ozzy as her ring tone, that was so cool when it went off (scared the hell out of her).

by Pesky
quote:
I had the worst Harry Potter nightmare two nights ago. I dreamed that it was HP7 release day, and we all got our Deathly Hallows books through the post. The only problem: we only received the first half of the book! We waited and waited, but the second half never came. Then the publishers said we'd have to wait another two years for it. I never want to have that dream again!

Oh my gosh I had a DH dream last night! In mine, a small group of people got the book ahead of the actual release date, but none of us could read it...the words on the page were complete jibberish! It was horrible.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  08:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Heh. I just went and had dinner with some of the Boy's old family friends - the Boy, his parents, their friends and their kids too. Their kids are about our age and really friendly. The son, who has just finished law school, leaned forward and said 'I've got two pieces of inside news for you. The first is that Britney Spears is going to release a new album which, despite all predictions, will be fantastic." We all scoffed. Then he said "The second piece of news is this: Snape is good."

This kickstarted a length conversation about the next book. It was so hilarious. Is Harry a horcrux? Did Dumbledore make his own horcrux, which is Fawkes, who is immortal, and therefore so is Dumbledore? Will Ron and Hermione go out for 3 weeks before she gets sick of him and turns to George instead? Or Ginny?

A very funny evening.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  13:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG Bee - I'd frankly shoot myself than drive that thing in NYC. Why is public transportation impossible? NYC has a very extensive subway system - it's very much the way to go. Driving in NY is insane even in a small car!

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  16:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother's company gave him a Hummer for driving around in NY. After one trip around the block he went ARGH and dumped the thing for the subway.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 06/03/2007 16:22:37
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  02:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Myf. IMO, if Hermione had half the brains she's supposed to, she'd have glommed onto one of the twins instead of Ron. Ron's okay but he's kind of a whiner. Maybe she needs to be in control in a relationship? The twins would be kind of exasperating - but fun.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  03:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG Bee, I can't imagine you behind the wheel of that... thing. You're such a cute little thing! Apparently (I don't drive, so I can't say) the right-side/left side thing is pretty easy to get over. My mother drove a right-side car in London, and had no problems.

Eeew! Feces water! And I thought Ireland was modernising...

Sorry about your brother Gimu . I hope he isn't too traumatised

I had a similar dream last night, though it was about a government form I haven't filled out yet.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  05:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri - traumatised from being married with 2 kids or from the accident?

I don't believe your car is that big - I thought you were just giving an example of a car that you might be driving Bee...?

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  06:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, the girls who are over in NY at the moment told me the make, I googled it, et voila. The girls say it's like driving a bus... apparently it's quite fun. We just need the car to get to and from work - I'm sure I'll be using public transport otherwise.

Ugh, I am ill. I was out last night in honour of the bank holiday, and may have overdid it a teensy bit. [:I] I stayed over at a friend's and ended up drinking lots of tap water during the night, so I don't know if it's the water or the alcohol that's making my stomach churn. Probably a bit of both.

Today is fabulous! Too bad it's completely wasted on me. If I perk up a bit soon I'm going to go for a walk on the beach.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, I'd try to latch onto one of the twins if I lived in HP land. Ron is one of those you love, but is perfect for Hermione only. I'd probably kill him within a month.

I just can't get interested in the new HP book. I think because I'm stressed over job hunting. Even the books I'm currently reading are all education related. I'm hoping that once we get into July I'll have a different outlook. I had plans to reread the series, but they're still sitting in my bookcase untouched since the last time I picked them up.

Bee, I'm jealous. I have to drive 7 hours or more to get to the ocean, although I could get to Lake Erie in three hours.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  13:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my interview. I have no idea how it went. Some parts went well, other I could have done better. So who knows how it turns out. The next step is waiting to hear if you make it to the next round, an interview with the district's Superintendent. They told me that they were picking two or three to send to him and I would be notified from their office if I'm picked to go on. I have to go back sometimes, though, to pick up my portfolio. They kept it to look through. It's sort of like a beauty pagent where you have to go through all the levels and they have the semi-finalists and then the finalists.

It's actually a very discouraging process. I read a statistic recently that said Western PA alone graduated 15,000 teacher candidates per year and statewide only 5,000 positions are open yearly. So you have at least 10,000 applicants compounding yearly that are unemployed. That's why it's not unusual for a district to receive between 500-1,000 applications for just one opening. What's even more frustrating is something like 80-95% of teachers are within 10 years of retirement age, but they're not retiring at all. There's a proposal for a "30 and out" plan to offer special perks for teachers and state employees who retire early because PA is losing so many young people to the South because of lack of jobs. It's been shot down two other times but everyone is hoping it passes this time. I'm at a point where I have to decide to get out of teaching or move away.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  13:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed Jo!! I hope it works out for you!
I'm just back from my 2nd day at my new job - its ok so far - I think I will really like it.
Its a nice evening here so that makes it nice for me to take the dog for a walk. I'm plagued with kids at the moment - they're all coming to ask if they can play with her. Nice kids, but I just want some peace for a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.