New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  19:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can I echo the political despair? We've also had the same PM for 10 years now, little Johnny Howard, and he's an arse. I completely disagree with his gvt's stance on immigration, welfare and things like that. But they're a very strong gvt in terms of economy, so we have low interest, the lowest unemployment rate in 30 years and things are generally looking good. To vote against them might be to get a gvt with a shred of moral decency, but it might mean the end of the strong economy, which would affect a lot of people and put a strain on the welfare system. I wish we could get a good mix of the gvt and opposition - they might be who I'd vote for. The opposition leader, Kevin Rudd, only recently became leader and he's winning all the polls by miles and miles. Who knows what'll happen at the election in November.

The other thing that makes me scream about the current gvt is the way they treated David Hicks, the Australian who spent 5 years in Guantanamo Bay. What a pack of ****s. That poor man. Either way, he'll be home in a week or so to serve out the rest of his 9 month 'sentence' for the 'crime' of doing something quite innocuous that the US couldn't properly prove. (He ended up pleading guilty to something just to get out of the bloody place. Abhorrent US government.)

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  21:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got two marigold beds planted this evening. I still have a good bit more to do. I have a bed of impatiens to plant and a bunch of yardwork to get cracking on. I'm still digging out the new walkway. Thank goodness I don't have to mow or it'd look like a jungle. We're just getting to where we can plant. It's been chilly the last couple days and gotten pretty cold at night. It seems the more yardwork I do, the more that pops up needs done.

Wish I were going to Italy.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  00:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Me too, Jo! But then again, the Boy and I just booked our Christmas trip so I can't complain. It's Christmas in Copenhagen, a few days in Berlin, a couple in Paris, then down to Bordeaux on the TGV, then another few days in Copenhagen before returning to Australia. Oh yes, and two days in Hong Kong on the way home.

OMG SQUEE! It's definitely something to look forward to.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  12:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Myf, that sounds like an amazing trip.

Tomorrow's Election Day! And it looks like it's going to be a really close race. I'm actually pretty excited about it. How very, very sad.

There's a moratorium on election talk today, so it's quite fun listening to the radio people trying to talk about it without actually talking about it. It's all very "Don't mention the war". Looking forward to checking out the newspapers later. I wonder what on earth they'll have found to report.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  19:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CAN one issue a moratorium on talk? I think that would be illegal here, how nice it must be.

Sounds great, Myf! Actually, it sounds exhausting but you are much younger and (undoubtably) more energetic than I. I'd spend the whole couple of weeks in one, maybe two places. I find the less I hop around the more I feel refreshed when I get back! Yes, I am old... *hobbles off*

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  07:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Everyone - Florence was amazing - I'm SO impressed. The only bad thing was that everything was so expensive!!! We paid 16 euro - I suppose thats more than $20 for 2 small icecreams! I asked for a small icecream but apparently the lady just ignored me and gave me a medium one and because I had 2 different flavours that made the price double - its the icecream shop just opposite the Ponte Vecchio - they don't display their prices very prominently so watch out if you go.
Anyway the city is amazing - such lovely cute little streets that you could walk down forever and not be tired of. In the end we just stayed in Florence the whole time because there was so much we wanted to do - next time we go to italy, we'll stay in the countryside.
It was very quiet electionwise yesterday - I thought I had missed it all. Unfortunately I can't vote because I'm up at my parents place and I didn't know I would be until it was too late to register for a postal vote. I wouldn't really know who to vote for anyway really - don't know much about southern politics - have tried to read various articles/manifestos for each of the parties, but they don't make it easy.
That sure sounds like some trip Myf! Why would you want to come to cold rainy/snowy europe - why not in summer time. Although round christmas time is always nice too. I love Germany at christmas - I'm sure Copenhagen will be lovely too!
Ok - I'm off to the salon for a facial and indian head massage - really treating myself this week - I need it after that last stressful week in work.
Cheerio for now
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  08:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florence sounds lovely. Glad you enjoyed yourself, gimu. I've always wanted to go to Italy.

quote:
Originally posted by gimu
It was very quiet electionwise yesterday - I thought I had missed it all. Unfortunately I can't vote because I'm up at my parents place and I didn't know I would be until it was too late to register for a postal vote. I wouldn't really know who to vote for anyway really - don't know much about southern politics - have tried to read various articles/manifestos for each of the parties, but they don't make it easy.

It was quiet yesterday because of the moratorium - it was nice to get a bit of peace! It's all systems go today of course. This Thursday election is such a bad idea and the postal vote procedure was very poorly explained - I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a plot to make it as difficult as possible for students to vote. Grr. Still, I shall have my vengence later today - muahaha.

Ugh, I'm hungover. And I have a big report due tomorrow. If I fail I have to repeat the year. No wonder I needed a drink last night.

Back to work with me...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the report, Bee! I'm sure you'll do well.

This week we were lucky enough to see the traveling production of Jesus Christ Superstar with Ted Neeley, who played JC in the original 1970s film. His voice is still spectacular. Corey Glover from Living Colour played Judas, and he did a great job as well. I love a good 1960s-70s rock opera so JCSS was a real treat. I remember first seeing it when I was about 7 and thinking how weird it was, but I couldn't stop singing the songs. The themes and the music are timeless, but they still evoke strong feelings of the '70s for me. I can't hear Superstar without envisioning bell bottoms and fringe.

Edited by - n/a on 05/24/2007 09:37:31
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Ted Neeley was awful in the original film, has he improved? I learned to love Jesus Christ Superstar on stage. The film was a real disappointment.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw JCSS about ten years ago. It was pretty good.

Edited by - JKRisSuperior on 05/24/2007 09:58:50
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  11:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess Ted Neeley is a matter of taste ... I think he's pretty good in a 1970s sort of way. In the theater, it was clear that a large percentage of the audience had come just to see him, and some of them had driven good distances. He's a very personable and popular performer.

Here he is on Jay Leno singing Gethsemane: http://www.youtube.com/?v=6nPfPUv72Uc Keep in mind this is theater music, not pop music, so the acting is a very important component. Ted Neeley was nominated for a best actor Golden Globe in 1974 for his performance in JCSS.

Edited by - n/a on 05/24/2007 12:05:43
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  13:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm off to the mountains for the weekend.
Just have to finish a few things around the house and then I'm officially on holiday.

Keep an eye on things here.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  15:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun in the mountains, Siobhan and Mad-Eye! We'll take good care of things here.
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  17:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, have fun Siobhan!
Bee I hope you have finished nasty report by now. Its quite late - I was helping my sister study - poor thing is in the middle of her A-levels. I had forgotten how much information is involved...
I have a crick in my neck and I would love to know how you get them - do you call it that too? Usually I get them if I sleep funny.
Going to sleep in a different bed tonight to see if it helps - I'm up at my parents so I am not used to the beds.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  18:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been getting cricks in my neck a lot recently. I've started sleeping on a flatter pillow and it seems to be helping.

Still working on the nasty report. I need to cut it down by 1000 words, do some formatting, and then I'm more or less done, I think.

I think I'm going to go to bed now and leave it till tomorrow.

Have a nice trip Siobhan!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  19:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm probably a little late, but have a great weekend, Siobhan and Mad-Eye!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  23:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching the news and they pulled an alligator out of the river today! A 4 1/2 to 5 foot long alligator...in Pennsylvania! Obviously, it's someone's pet that they've released. They could never survive our winters on their own. Every year we get a few alligators in the area found. There are probably more sightings of bear and even bigfoot than alligators.

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/27/2007 23:19:35
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  10:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have they named him yet? They should name him Jackson. Reggie the Gator was caught a few days ago.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm back.

Had a nice time in the mountains. It's so much cooler up there and my sinuses were clear (without medication) for the first time in months. Will probably go back for our Autumn getaway.

I had a crick in my neck Sunday. It was definitely caused by sleeping on it wrong. Our floatation matress felt sooooooo goooooood last night.

Aligator huh? No big deal here. Find them all the time near the marshy areas, but then we expect them. My favourite sighting of a 8 footer was at a local park. He was sunning himself next to a sign that said "Beware of Aligators." His smile was too funny.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  00:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I'll leave the alligators to you.

I was a at family picnic this holiday and they were talking about weddings because my cousin's daughter is getting married and I found out that my one uncle only knew my aunt for three weeks before they got married. Can you imagine knowing someone for only three weeks and deciding to get married? Evidently, it was the right thing to do because they were married for 25 years before he passed away in an accident. My other aunt said she knew someone who married on their first date. Now that's impetuous. Of course, you hear stories of engagements that last years and end up with divorce five years later. I don't know if I could be that impulsive, though. It takes me three weeks to pick out a pair of shoes, let alone a husband.

I started exercising, again. I need to shed some pounds. After you get into a routine it's not hard, but once you get out of it then it's a chore to start back up. The only problem is my back is aching. I was complaining about it to my family and my dad in usual his smartass way says "It's what's in front that causes the ache in back."

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/30/2007 01:07:04
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  06:50:26  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree, Jo. That's a bit crazy.

Bugger it all. I've dropped a stitch and no matter what I do I can't fix it. Argh! Wouldn't matter if it were around the back of the cardy or something but this is right in the front! I'd better work this one out...

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  07:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going for a goth look?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  23:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really need to pop in here more often. 6 pages of reading to catch up on.

Well, Hubby settled on the Dodge Stratus. He just didn't like the way the PT Cruiser handled, plus the Stratus is a little better on gas and came equipped with Sirius Satiellite radio. Here's a picture
The color of ours is closer to a silver green.

Ick, politics gives me such a headache. I used to like McCain, until he started supporting the war. I've never liked Hillary and I don't know if I could actually bring myself to vote for her (it would depend on who was the Republican candidate). My favorite candidate right now is John Edwards. I think a combination of Edwards/Obama could have a chance at taking the White House.

Ooh, I bought myself a new toy today. My cellphone contract was up in three weeks and two weeks ago I dropped my phone in water (it still worked, but the screen didn't light up). Today, I went in to renew my contract and bought myself a Motorola Razor. I've already taken several pics of my puppies to share with the world. Now I just need some decent ringtones. Unfortunately, they don't transfer like your phone book does.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  00:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dobbygirl, I'm leaning towards Edwards right now, also.

My cellphone plays Hedwig's Theme. I was in class one day and didn't realize my phone was turned on and it started ringing. A few kids in class yelled out "Harry Potter". Not very many people have this ringtone. It's great in stores because I know right away if it's mine or not.

Pesky, I like your new avatar.

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/31/2007 00:34:45
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  02:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Mom and Dad were engaged 4 weeks after they met - they had 48 very happy years together. My sister got engaged in about the same amount of time - although he asked her on their first date (she thought he was kidding) - and they're celebrating their 20th anniversary this year. Sometimes I think the ability to commit yourself whole-heartedly to the idea of marrying a person is more important than having spent months (or years) checking each other out. If you're old enough to know your own mind, you really think someone is the person you want as your life-partner and you can make that commitment to them completely - you've got a good chance of success.

I have the Elephant Walk as my ring tone - it's a 60s tune, came with my phone. No one's phone sounds like mine and I'm sure it's probably a good thing.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  04:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedag5V-ZXk&mode=related&search=

A while back I was idly flipping channels and Hatari! was on and by a staggering coincidence, it was right when the baby elephant appeared. Given that that movie is about three hours long I have to think it was fate.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 05/31/2007 04:22:39
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  05:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get your point about marriage, AMC, and I think it's a good one. However, if I arrived home with a fiance four weeks after meeting him, I think my mother would go beserk.

Just as I was typing this, a letter came from one of the orphanages I used to work in in Sri Lanka. Against all odds, one of my boys is going to university! I'm so, so excited for him! He can't go without financial help though, but as it happens me and some friends of mine are in the process of setting up some scholarships. I'm going to see if we can send one his way. Most of the people involved know this guy and know how great he is, so I'm feeling very optimistic. Didn't mean to post about this at all, but I'm just SO EXCITED!!!

Er, can't remember what I meant to say here... oh yes, finished college for the summer - hooray!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  06:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! A lovely little boy gets to go to college, and you get to leave!

Good luck getting that boy his bursary Bee. You've got a great heart.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/31/2007 07:51:20
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  07:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Bee!! You've finished college for the summer and you are helping someone else get there. Education is such a great thing - everyone should have the opportunity. What'll you be doing until you go to NY?
I have had a very lazy morning reading OoTP - I used to hate all the bits with Umbridge, but they're ok now.
I got a voucher for 130 when I left my last job so I will now go to try and spend it on new clothes for my new job
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.