Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  12:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, it's not too surprising - first off, a lot of people aren't as hot for HP as they used to be - people feel they've "been there" already. Also the fact that you need to register before reading the board or posting is a big turn-off for new members. I know it's the best way to avoid trolls and spam but - let's face it, most of us lurked as guests for quite some time before we joined. I don't think I would have ever found HPG if I'd had to register before reading.

I run another forum and I had to make it "private", but there's a very simple method to join - still, as soon as I put the private process in place, we stopped getting any new members. Sigh. The bots and spammers are ruining the wonderful Net.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  13:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

... the fact that you need to register before reading the board or posting is a big turn-off for new members.
Actually I have it enabled that you can read the boards, not post, without registering. If you look at the bottom of the main forum index where members on-line are listed, there is a "guest" category. I have seen a few guests on lately, some of which have joined. There has been a steady increase in memberships since the publishing date for DH was announced. Unfortunately, most of them have not posted or have spammed (in an advertising sense) and been locked out.
I do monitor these things.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  15:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really? Whenever I come here I always have to log in before I can read anything. I think.

I've finished my exams - hurrah! And my lecturer emailed me back about that late assignment and said there's no problem, so all is well. Now I just have one (major) assignment to do, and then I have a few weeks break before I'm off to New York!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  19:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

That's what we had, too. I made crepes topped with lemon butter and powdered sugar. We also had beef bacon-- so much better than pork. Funny thing about breakfast foods. I can't bear them for breakfast-- just can't face food in the morning. Love them for supper, though.

I'm exactly the same! Breakfast food makes me sick in the mornings. I much prefer pancakes, etc. at night. The odd thing is, I can eat a hamburger in the morning, no problem. I think it must be the sweetness of the pancakes, crepes and so forth that disagree with me in the morning.

I'm off to New Orleans tomorrow. I'm going to Phoenix Rising, my first ever HP convention! I'm going to be reading chapter 5 of HPEW and chapter 8 of HPCS during the fanfic presentations, so wish me luck that I don't completely freeze up. [:I]

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  21:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun at the convention, Theo!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  09:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stand sweet stuff in the morning either, give me something savoury anyday.

Have fun at Phoenix Rising, Theo!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  11:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newt Gingrich has announced that he's going to run for President. I just can't respond other than .

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  11:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we have a vomiting emoticon?

I love sweet stuff in the morning and although I love breakfast for dinner, it's eggs & bacon kind of breakfast, not pancakes.

Have fun, Theo!

YAY Bee!

What dates are you in NYC? Maybe we can meet up in Boston, I'm there June 13-16. Although my schedule is based around showing my kids the city so I'll be hopping around...

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  11:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another paricipant in what the Daily Show has dubbed "Clusterf### to the White House." Gingrich was smart to wait until after the debate to announce. He might miss the mark with SC's primary, but he hasn't damaged his chances by opening his mouth and taking a stand, either. It's sad in a way. From the bits of the Rep. debate that I saw I could tell which issues are going to kill the candidates when it comes time for the nomination-- if they last that long. Politics are too polar.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  12:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, I'm not going till July 3rd, so looks like we'll miss each other. I do plan to visit Boston though - it sounds lovely.

Hope you enjoy Phoenix Rising, Theo! Good luck with your reading - I've no doubt your fic will get a great reception.

Newt Gingrich sounds like a comedy name.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  12:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Newt is anything but funny Bee; or at least he would be funny if we was a caricature, which he unfortunately is not. During his memorable tenure as Speaker of the House, he shut down the government twice, tried to make cannabis possession a capital offence, and stuck a government budget proposal onto an emergency disaster relief bill in the hopes that Clinton wouldn't have the guts to veto it (he did).

The only bright side to this is that the Reps must be desperate if they're actually allowing Newt into the already crowded race.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 05/17/2007 16:13:27
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  15:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But, but, but.... I can't see a majority of people voting for Hillary (a hated woman) or Obama (a minority) so I have this fear that it's going to be another Republican in office come the next election. I am currently wishing Gore would announce his candidacy. I think he's our best chance to take back the White House. Edwards might have a chance, also. Right now I don't know who I'm voting for in the Primary, but our vote really doesn't count in the Primary elections in PA because we're so late in the Election year. By the time our May primary comes around, the parties already have their candidates picked up.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  16:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, let me get this straight. Are you seriously countenancing the idea that the American people have gone collectively insane enough to elect Newt Gingrich President of the United States?

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  16:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm - we re-elected George Bush, Diri. The American people collectively have no sanity.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  18:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that Dennis Kucinich is also "allowed" into the race.

As this board's token American conservative, I can assure you all that Newt Gingrich will never become President. There are indeed too many memories of the gorvenment shut-downs, plus Newt has too much other baggage. I'm actually looking for Rudy to bounce back and get the nomination, because he's the only real seasoned leader on the ticket from either party so far. But who knows ... politics can take weird swings.

Gore -- I don't think he'd make it because to most conservatives he looks just plain silly. He's far better off emulating Jimmy Carter and concentrating on his key issues, pushing for change there. Hillary's negatives are far too strong for her to be elected President, even if she gets the Democratic nomination. (Ohio hates her.) Obama is the wild card ... he has tons of appeal, a lacks an uber-liberal political history that would drag him down ala John Kerry and Hillary. I believe that enough of America is ready for a minority President that if he doesn't position himself too far to the left in an attempt to win the Democratic nomination, he stands a good chance of winning the White House. He looks good on television, at least, which is critical these days (sadly). Being more centrist is the key to the Dems taking the next election ... George Bush never would have won twice if they'd picked more palatable (i.e. less liberal-populist) candidates. Bush isn't that popular, even among staunch Republicans.

Edited by - n/a on 05/17/2007 18:34:05
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Hillary isn't electable. I really don't think she stands a chance in the national elections. I haven't heard enough about Obama's positions to want to vote for him, either. But it's early in the race. You know who I'd love to be able to run for president is Madeleine Albright, but she can't run because she isn't a natural born citizen.

Pennsylvania is a swing state. It's like a big political sandwich. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, located on each end of the state are largely Democratic. It's hard to find a large group of Republicans in either part, but the middle is mostly Republican.

Nobody's commented on Jerry Fallwell passing away this week. He evokes the same feelings in me as Newt Gringrich does.

If I had my bet right now, I'd say Rudy Guilliani will be the next President of the U.S.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  22:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever heard of "fairy doors" or "gnome doors"? Evidently they're popping up all over. They're miniature doors placed at the foot of trees, along baseboard moldings, and other unusual places. I might make some. I have a bunch of small shadowboxes that aren't deep enough to do vignettes, but might be great for some fairy doors in them.

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/17/2007 22:29:37
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  00:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen them, I think - they're pretty cute!

I don't like anybody in politics! How's that for a centrist position. I don't think Rudy Giuliani has the right personality for a national leader but I don't think Hilary Clinton does either. They're both too combatative and difficult.

Newt Gingrich - Oy!

I like Barack Obama but I think the only thing people (including me) know about him is he looks good on TV and can give a good speech. That's fine but it's not enough.

Madeline Albright wasn't very popular in the U.N., Jo - too much the Iron Lady.

I can't see a single candidate that can give our country what it needs - a leader, a leader who cares more about the good of the nation than the good of their party, who understands we are not be the world's policeman nor it's moral center and who can unite the American people to work towards a better future for everyone. Not one. Not even close. It's pretty sad. This is a scary time; we need leadership - we have no one.

Edited by - AMC on 05/18/2007 00:16:18
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  00:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know who I would vote for? Colin Powell. He has always struck me as the opposite of most policians - his morals weren't put in place as shiny political window-dressing. He's intelligent, responsible, experienced and not an egomaniac. Why can't someone like him run for president???

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  04:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as this board's token liberal pinko, I can't think of any person on the list that I would unequivocally vote for. I've never liked Hillary but if it came down to a race between her and a Republican then I'm afraid there's no contest. However, I agree she has too much baggage to be electible. Of the rest, I think Barack is the best of this bad bunch, because having no policies is still better than having bad ones. I actually agree with Pixie on Al Gore. Some people are just better at being ex-politicians. Plus, global warming is an issue that's still going to be around in 50 years. What can he do about it in two four-year terms?

Colin Powell is a good guy but he suffers from Blair's Syndrome; a terminal political disease brought on by long-term close contact with George W Bush.

Rudy's been saying some pretty strange things in the debates, at least from what I've seen on the Daily Show. Plus, before 9/11 he was seen as something of a dictator who ran New York as if it were a police state.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/18/2007 04:07:49
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  10:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Ummm - we re-elected George Bush, Diri. The American people collectively have no sanity.

Yeah and not just once, either.
quote:
(Pesky)George Bush never would have won twice if they'd picked more palatable (i.e. less liberal-populist) candidates. Bush isn't that popular, even among staunch Republicans
Too true. I voted against Bush. That's not the same as voting for Kerry. Hillary... she's too polarising. People either like her or hate her it seems. Rudy, everyone seems to forget what he was like before 911. Honestly, I can't see hard core conservative Reps. going for a guy who is pro-choice. I know my in-laws wouldn't and they aren't alone. McCain is hurting himself by supporting the war, but I agree with him on torture/interogation. I just don't know if he can get beyond that issue within the political scene.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  13:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The state of politics is so depressing. When I was in my 20s, I used to follow politics closely and get fired up about issues, but since then disillusionment has set in. It's hard to get excited about the bunch of rotters the parties dish up at election time. Candidates have to appeal to the extreme right or left to win nomination. As a result, when the general election rolls around there is no one left in the middle ground. Then the ones who don't lose (I hate to say win) spend the next four years fighting and trying to make each other look bad, and nothing of substance gets done. Bah!

Edited by - n/a on 05/18/2007 13:49:12
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  15:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you guys get to vote for your next leader. Everyone's already calling Gordon Brown's appointment a coronation. All we can hope for is the chance to vote him out in two years.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/18/2007 15:14:58
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  17:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well politics doesn't get more polarised than in Northern Ireland at the mo. I just can't bear to watch or read or listen to anything about it because I am sure it will fall to pieces. We have had so many disappointments through the years. I know that sounds stupid, but I am allergic to it at the moment.
finished in my job today - heading to italy tomorrow for some sunshine!!!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  18:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well all I can say is that it's been ten years since Good Friday, and, despite the determined efforts of everyone involved, it hasn't been completely derailed. And if Screamin' Ian Paisley can share a room, let alone a podium, with Scary Gerry Adams, then maybe this could limp to some kind of conclusion.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/19/2007 09:57:30
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  18:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun in Italy, gimu!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  09:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes! Have fun in Italy!

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  10:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun in Italy, gimu!

We've got a general election on Thursday. Bertie Ahern has been in power for 10 years now (same as Blair) and if you ask me it's high time for a change. But the opposition aren't exactly an inspiring bunch either, so I'll probably end up voting against candidates rather than voting for any of them. I don't particularly want to see any of those clowns in government.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the North. While I'm sure it will come apart at the seams a wee bit, I don't see it falling spectacularly to pieces. Maybe I'm just naive. Still, it's been quite a sight seeing Ian Paisley guffawing hysterically like a demented headmaster up in Stormont with Martin McGuinness at his side looking like a frightened schoolboy waiting to be slapped for being bold.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  11:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to post some vids of Good Doctor Ian. The Americans need to know what they're missing.

The Reverend Doctor Ian Paisley is the head of the Protestant Unionist faction in Northern Ireland. He's probably the most Protestent Protestant east of Arkansas. He really, really, really doesn't like Catholics. At all. He's about 80 but looks about 200. No one's entirely sure how he's managed to survive this long on a diet consisting solely of vitriol and kerosene.

Here he is in full flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uHhLe6WE0&mode=related&search=

Here he is calling the Pope the Antichrist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoCU6Clpkxk

Here is the typically laid back Irish response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21GCwGHA0gg

And here is the head of the IRA offering Ian the position of First Minister in the devolved Irish parliament last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwrcVZn_iyo&mode=related&search=

And here he is earlier this month, making pigs fly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de4yUUud3Sc&mode=related&search=

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/19/2007 11:37:19
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lord almighty.

Have fun in Italy, gimu!

Pixie, I couldn't agree more. I feel like we should outlaw political parties altogether so people would start looking at the people they're electing, rather than trying to defeat the "other side". There is no other side, there's just all of us voters and the losers we elected to run the country. I know there are some good, intelligent and moral people in politics - but if they ever do get elected they're the ones who don't get supported by their own party for not being "loyal" enough to the party line, so they end up losing elections and dropping out of politics.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.