Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  05:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, that's a pretty car.

I've never heard of most of the cars you guys are talking about either. I guess they're American?

I drive a Ford Fiesta. FANCY! It's my first car and I love it, even if the driver door doesn't open from the inside.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  05:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the stigma against being short. Gillian Anderson and Salma Hayek are both 5'2''. I don't hear guys complaining about that.

I'm 6'1.5''. People always think I'm taller for some reason.

I can't drive a car so I have to sit back and envy you short girls.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 05/10/2007 05:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tall, I have an old Nissan Micra, which is nice and high, and I can get through gaps nobody else can. I really don't like large cars, especially SUVs. They're usually huge on the outside and not much bigger than your average saloon on the inside, which means they're pretty pointless. Some idiot in a SUV the size of a van, which took up 3/4 of the road dared honk his horn because he thought I was taking up too much road space! And I was on my BIKE. Not only that, he honked his horn when he'd already overtaken me halfway, which means if I'd swerved he'd have killed me. B*stard. Yesterday another SUV overtook me and then deliberately drove halfway on the cycle path, until he realised I wasn't going to slow down (this is Lancaster city centre, traffic is usually at a virtual standstill, only cyclists can get anywhere) and he'd end up with a scratched car.

Farmers and gamekeepers should have SUVs, nobody else. Get a people carrier if you must, at least they're smaller (and they actually have more room than an SUV on the inside).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, why do they immunise people against chicken pox but not against TB? TB is a truly horrible disease for anyone to get, chicken pox is only horrible for very few people.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all public health policy - why immunize everyone against a really rare disease? And TB has been really rare in the US over the last century. But it's picking up, mostly (and I'm NOT prejudiced, this is medical fact) due to the movement of people from and to countries where it is commonly found - primarily in our area, Central America and Asia.

TB incidence in the US: 14,500 cases per year
Chicken pox incidence in the US: 3.5 million cases per year (before immunization was available) - this is almost our annual birthrate, so almost every child in the U.S. got it.

The risk of getting TB here for most people is VERY low, only a few populations are "at risk" and they're mostly adult populations. I gather the adult populations respond better to the nasty medicine than immunization anyway and as many of them "at risk" group are foreign born, mandatory immunization of U.S. children wouldn't change that risk. You can't really mandate that all immigrants or visitors to the U.S. from certain countries take medicine or get immunized but that's what would really contribute to the fight against TB.

This is an interesting page:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5611a2.htm

You'll notice for the white majority, TB incidence is 1.2 cases per 100,000 people. Asians are 25 times as likely as whites to have TB but even then, the occurrance is 25 people per 100,000 of population and most of that is probably immigrants or people who hae visited countries with high TB incidence, so U.S. born and resident Asians are probably at much lower risk.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 05/10/2007 11:26:03
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured out what that I had confused illnesses and vaccines earlier!

Yes, we've had TB outbreaks, but that wasn't what made me question the vaccine stuff. We've had outbreaks of Whooping Cough in the last two winters. Now I was sure we were supposed to be vaccinating against that. I checked Daughter's immunisation records and she has been.

SUV's aren't the problem, its the pooooy drivers. Downtown Charleston has notoriously narrow streets and lots of high income residents-- a winning combination. The love their "impressive" vehicles and feel like they, personally, own the road. Mount Pleasant has more SUV's than IQ points-- due mostly to the soccer moms. All these people are driving "bigger than they need to be" cars then have the nerve to complain about fuel prices!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a large car - it's not exactly an SUV but it looks like a small version of one. We got it because we travel a lot and we got tired of renting nasty big SUVs when we travel. Road Trips are an American phenomenon, I think. You can take a compact car on vacation, smush all the luggage under the kids legs and suffer in the dessert with inadequate AC but.. it's not fun! It is fun to take our Pacifica on the road, it's a great road car and we're happy to have it. It is not a great city car, which is why I'm thrilled to take public transportation to work! Park the big car a mile from school and save on the gas and the frustration - it's grand.

Our other car is compact, we're waiting to save money so we can get an even more compact one - our next car is a Mini! I can't wait.

Edited by - AMC on 05/10/2007 11:34:10
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes - DTP - Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis! It sure hurts, it should work! But apparently there has been a resurgence of Pertussis, I don't know why. Probably new and exciting strains.

I love it when fuel prices go up - it makes me laugh all the harder at the Hummers on LA streets - NO ONE can possibly justify buying that car. I'd double gas prices, just to make people think twice about their cars - if it wasn't such a severe hardship on the truckers.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the tetanus part of that one that hurts so much. I had one in 1991 that hurt so bad I couldn't raise my arm. Miserable!!!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  14:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have one big car and one compact (plus a pickup for dirty jobs). Our Rendezvous is in the same class as AMC's Pacicifa, not an SUV and not quite a car either, but still very utilitarian. It's fairly big, but it still gets about 21 mpg combined city/highway, which is a lot better than most SUVs. We need a vehicle large enough to carry five people and two wheelchairs, or six people, depending on who's with us. We didn't buy a large vehicle for years because I hate SUVs and don't like the sliding doors on minivans. (Picky, I know!) Finally when the crossovers started coming out we broke down and got what we needed, and I love it!

Most of the TB that's seen in the US these days is treatable with antibiotics, so it's not life-threatening. I know someone who contracted it in the last few years, and he's OK now. The big problem will happen when the drug-resistant strains become more common. The current vaccine won't really help because it's not that effective on the old strains, and wouldn't even cover the new ones. That's scary!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  16:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most SUVs are pointless. I can see people in the North driving them because of the snow, but most of those who have them don't even know how to drive them. My dad's getting a new car and giving me his Chevy Prism (exact same as Toyota Corolla when they took them over from Geo). I drive it all the time anyway. I wish they still made Prism because it's a great car. I think he's getting a Chevy Cobalt. Everyone teased him because he's 6ft and drove a little Prism, but he never had any problem driving it. We could even get two car seats in the back when my sister's kids were babies.

I think almost everyone I know has had chicken pox in their lifetime. It's very unusual to come across an adult who has never had them. The vaccine isn't that old.

The problem with being short is that the world isn't geared toward you (kind of like being left-handed...and I'm both). I get tired of not being able to reach things and not being able to buy clothes that fit. Most women I think would rather be tall and statuesque than short.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/10/2007 16:39:17
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  17:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tall, and most trousers are too short for me. Or they're extra long (I do NOT have an 35" inside leg measurement). Next has changed their trouser sizes, and now their former "long" trousers have been divided into "long" (now 32", too short for me) and "extra long" (34", slightly too long, and only available to order online *groan*). Anyway, I can't just grab a pair of trousers off the peg, they'll be too short.

When I was little, they always sold trousers without hems, and you could shorten them to the right length. I never had to shorten them, and when I got a bit older I wondered why I suddenly couldn't get trousers that were long enough anymore. They'd started hemming them!

Edited by - Starling on 05/10/2007 17:27:20
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  13:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of chicken pox, I just talked to someone yesterday whose mother just contracted chicken pox (not shingles) from caring for her sick grandchildren. She was in her 60s and apparently never had the disease before. I've never heard of someone that old getting chicken pox! Now there's a story for her to tell.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  15:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh, I'm an idiot. I had an assignment due today so I submitted the written part to the university and the audio part via email, because I'm just inconvenient like that. But I've just realised that I spelled my lecturer's email address wrong, meaning that the audio part missed the deadline. Argh! So I've emailed it properly and included my previous failed email as proof that I tried to send it earlier. I hope that'll be enough to avoid a penalty for late submission. I'm such an idiot though. Now my lecturer will know I can't spell her bloody name! It's not even a difficult name! I feel like this - - only not as badass as even a frustrated pirate undoubtedly feels.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  17:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's this?

On the day my masters thesis was due, I went to my school's computer lab to print out a list I had stored on the school server. It was only after I had bound the thesis into a book that I realised that I had printed the wrong list. So, with literally hours to go, I had to stand outside the submission office with a reprint, a pair of scissors and a pritt stick to glue the new list over the old. On top of that, some evil bastard whose teeth I will happily extract if I ever meet him, pulled the fire alarm and cost me two hours of time. I think I got my paper in with about three minutes to spare.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  21:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you still do well on the assignment, Bee.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  11:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, JRis. I hope so too!

Oh diri, that sounds horrible! I'd be freaking out big time. I don't cope well in race-against-the-clock situations like that.

When I was due to submit my undergrad project (worth 25% of my degree), I was supposed to be speaking at a conference in Northern Ireland on the same day, so I gave it to my roommate to submit for me. It was due in at 5pm, and I think she only remembered at about 4.55. She got it in anyway, and all was well as far as I was concerned because I hadn't a clue this had actually happened. My poor supervisor though was freaking out all day. She kept ringing the secretary every five minutes to check if it had been submitted yet, and tried ringing me loads of times as well, only I was up North with no roaming on my phone so she couldn't get through to me. Poor lady was practically having kittens on my behalf. She was so mad at my roomate.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  13:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow - thats really crazy. I was always the kind of person to sit up the night before to finish stuff - I could never sit back 2 days before an assignment was due and say "thats perfect now", no, I always had to keep going til the last minute.
Good luck with the assignment Bee. I was just helping my uncle find some pictures on the grading of bedsores / pressure sores. I feel quite ill now - those poor people!
I've seen a few of those Chrysler cars about here - one of our neighbours here always has to have something different and undoubtedly better than everyone else, so they got one a few years back. Woohoo. They aren't so common here - at the moment most snobbish people either buy a prius (because they fancy themselves environmentally friendly) or an SUV type vehicle. I have to laugh at those who buy the prius - they still drive them erratically so that most of the benefit is gone. Those cars aren't as great as they seem to be.
I think I'll go for a walk now. I've put on about 7kgs (more than a stone) since I moved back to Ireland so it really is past time that I did some exercise...
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  04:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is that about?
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  05:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam.

Which reminds me, I have an email address I've had for two years, and I'd never had spam on it, until now, when I used it to register on myspace. Well well well.

Oh, and my boy was in the newspaper:

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cutie! Finian has grown up so much from the chubby-cheeked little cherub you showed us a few years ago. He still has that ornery look in his eyes, though. Love the costume!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  09:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a delete button being a mod and I know I've done it before, but it won't let me get rid of the spam. I get a little pop up screen and have to re-enter my information and says I don't have authorization. So Siobhan or someone else will have to delete it.

He's so adorable, Starling!

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  10:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What spam? Where? Someone seems to have taken care of it before I got here this morning.
Thanks.

PM me with the member name, though, please.

Jo, I checked and the board is set for you to moderate. Perhaps you mistyped your password? BTW, it always asks for confirmation-- even from me.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  15:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just watching "house of horrors" - its a program where people who "rip off" other people get caught on camera. One guy, "a computer expert" charged someone 328 to fix a computer that only had its graphic card loose. He also stole half the memory and swapped various components for cheaper variations... Its brilliant watching such criminals get confronted on tv.
glad to see the spammer was magically deleted
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  16:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, it must have deleted when I tried because it was gone. I retyped my password about 5 times and I even slowed down and to make sure I got it right. Each time it gave me a message about being unauthorized, but somehow it deleted the post. Must just be a weird glitch or my computer working up.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  16:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was ecstatic for a minute before clicking on the thread; I thought it was a new member.

Odd, isn't it? We finally have a forum that doesn't collapse constantly and no-one wants to log on anymore.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  17:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I figrued out which member it was. They are now locked. It's funny, I had a bad feeling about their membership when I looked at it on the 14th, but they hadn't posted anything, so I gave them a chance-- and they promptly blew it. Oh well. The activation email thing has stopped the bots. It's now down to individuals who have nothing better to do than annoy the rest of us and the companies that pay them to do so.

Jo, will bring the problem to Mad-Eye's attention. I agree your delete did work, but don't know why you had trouble with the logon. Board has seemed a little sluggish lately, too. Wonder if it could be Peeves hanging about...

Hmmm. I want breakfast for dinner-- specifically crepes. I'm noticing a trend. I had french toast last night.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  21:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Asked Mad-Eye about the logon problem. He said you were probably sucessful with your first attempt to delete the post, but that when you went back to the forum the page did not refresh so you saw a ghost of the deleted post. All subsequent attempts to delete the post which was no longer there would have shown the error message you did.

So now the Galleries Wing is officially haunted!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  22:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool!

Breakfast for dinner is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  10:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what we had, too. I made crepes topped with lemon butter and powdered sugar. We also had beef bacon-- so much better than pork. Funny thing about breakfast foods. I can't bear them for breakfast-- just can't face food in the morning. Love them for supper, though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.