Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

I know that in Holland, as soon as they find a TB case, they trace every single person who has been in contact with this person, and test them (last time they had to test the entire clientele of a pub). It seems to be effective, it hardly ever happens.

I think that's what they're doing at the moment with the TB outbreak in the creche that gimu referred to. It's strange, TB seems to be on the increase over here these days. My mam still remembers when it was everywhere, but it's only in the past couple of years that I've started to hear of people coming down with it. I suppose people just aren't bothering with the vaccine anymore, probably for the reasons Pixie alluded to.

I have a personal issue with TB because I got turned down for Angela's Ashes for not looking consumptive enough. All the skinny kids got callbacks - my scrawny brother even got a screen test even though he was a much more rubbish actor than me. Sooooo unfair. Of course, it probably doesn't take a childhood trauma to make one dislike tuberculosis.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 05/07/2007 17:08:01
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vaccines have become controversial issues. Like Pesky said, many parents resist it. I know my nephew didn't get the chicken pox vaccine because the doctor recommended him not to have it. Then when my niece entered school it was required. So one is vaccinated, one isn't. I've been vaccinated twice against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella because I was in a group where the vaccine was ineffective. Then there is suspicion of the link between vaccinations and autism.

My dad went to school with kids that were in the testing and development for Jonas Salk's polio vaccine in the early 50s. He worked out of the University of Pittsburgh and it became the first effective vaccine given to the public. My grandpap had polio when he was a young boy in the 1910s. He couldn't walk and had to be retaught. He was very lucky because the only long-term affect was a slight limp.

I was talking to another sub today and we were discussing how horrible it is to find a job in PA. There is no rhyme or reason to hiring practices. Sometimes schools hire subs, sometimes they won't, most need to sub at least 5 years to get into a school and then you hear about a recent grad with no experience getting a job. There is no basis of merit on hiring. It's really about who you know on the school boards. An example is a recent hire at a local school for Middle School English who is a horrible teacher. The other teachers have to go in her room in the morning and correct her mistakes. Even the students complain. When the principal was confronted by parents his response was "Oh, it's just a bad hire. We can't do anything about it." Umm, yes you can. Sure, we're unionized, but teachers have to perform at certain levels to maintain their jobs. You're on probation for three years and even after that you can be fired for incompetence. But it was a case where someone knew someone and she got the job. Makes me wonder why I worked my butt off at school. I could have just coasted by with C's and been happy with mediocrity and have a better chance at getting hired.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chicken pox vaccine is utterly pointless.

If you haven't had the vaccine and you catch it, you'll get chicken pox.
If you have had the vaccine, you'll get shingles instead. Ouchie.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  01:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's unbelievable Jo! Its just such an old boys club sometimes - I really hate that. I hope you have luck this time. Try not to dwell on it too much because you will only annoy yourself. Sometimes I think its better just to trust to fate and where life brings you.
I got a temperary job (2year contract) with Pfizer. Then there were permanent jobs advertised at another plant in the area. I wasn't informed about them and other (possibly less qualified) people straight from college got them. Now the plant where I work may be closing - so you can imagine I was a bit peeved about that. Anyway, now I have a nice new job to look forward to - started applying in February and have another (unfortunately temporary) job with a nice Swiss company who will hopefully offer me a permanent position... If I had originally got the permanent position, I'd probably have stayed in it for as long as I could - moving around companies is probably the best way for me to get experience. So its turning out to be a positive thing in the end.
I wish you all the best of luck with your application...
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd never heard of a chicken pox vaccine before. I don't think many people bother with it over here. I've never had chicken pox, and at this stage I'm a bit nervous about the prospect. When I was a child, Mam used to throw me in the path (and in my brother's case, in the bath) of kids who had it, but I never managed to catch it. Maybe it's just another thing I'm miraculously immune to. Hope so - the idea of shingles definitely does not appeal.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  08:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're lucky, Bee! My mom had shingles about ten years ago, but her doctor said it was because she'd had chicken pox as a child. The virus had remained dormant in her system all those years, then reactivated itself because of stress. I'm not sure if there's anything to the old wives tale that people who had mild cases of chicken pox are more susceptible to shingles. If so, I'm covered because if I recall correctly, my chicken pox were terrible (as were my children's.) We all pre-dated the vaccine. A friend of mine's child nearly died from chicken pox -- so I guess the vaccine is a good thing, as long as it's safe.

Good luck with the new job, Gimu! It's tough to change companies, but it sounds like it will be an exciting and productive move for you. I'm a big believer in fate; sometimes things that seem like a negative at the time acutally turn out to be a big positive once all is said and done. Let us know how everything goes.

Edited by - n/a on 05/08/2007 08:19:56
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  08:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's odd, for some reason I always thought people who'd never had chickenpox as children were more susceptible to shingles. But I understand now. Hope I don't have dormant chickenpox!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  10:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicken Pox suck! I had them twice as a third grader. Hopefully that means I'll not get shingles. Daughter had the vaccine, but it is not considered effective over the long term without a booster, and I probably won't have that done. I didn't want her to have CP as an infant, but definitely do not want her to have them as an adult (they can be severe as an adult).

Problem with not vaccinating in the US is that our incidence of TB is on the rise-- well above the projected number of cases we should have. Now, if you asked my in-laws they would say it's all the illegal immigrants' fault-- or at least a Mexican government plot to weaken and then take over the US (notice that Mexico is the new "Commies"). I also read where the US is one of two nations in the world that doesn't innoculate for TB (this info may be outdated).

Jo, the old boy network is alive and well in Charleston, too. As for "strive to be average", isn't that the motto of our public education system-- after "no child gets ahead" of course?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  13:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are really turning me off the education career path.

It's interesting how hatred of Mexicans gets more intense the closer to Mexico you get. My stepfather, who lives in Dallas, has an amusing story about the time he asked a neighbor about a flock of passing birds.

"What are those?" he asked cheefully.

"Grackles," she replied.

And then, with a spit of pure venom,

"They're Mexican."

I had the chicken pox when I was a widdle kiddie. I thought I looked funny. And I itched a lot. Don't know how you could get it twice Siobhan, that's terrible.

In the long run, I doubt TB vaccinations are going to mean much. We've already begun to see multi-resistent strains emerging. If you get one of those, pretty much the only thing they can do is lock you in a quarentine house until you die.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  14:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just talented, diri! Actually, the first time I got them was just a smattering of spots across my shoulder blades. Two weeks later I came down with the full blown itchy spots all over (in my hair, in my nose, etc.-- I still have small scars where I scratched too much). I guess the first time was not enough to build up a resistance to them. Mum says it was amazing. I laid down on the sofa because I didn't feel good. Five minutes later I was covered in spots and had a 102* fever.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  16:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my colleagues daughter was on a 6month project for Médecins Sans Frontières in Kenya. TB there is a different story altogether - there are different variations, like multidrug resistant TB and totally resistant TB for which there is no cure or treatment. Most of those with TB have AIDS as well.
That sounds really cool Siobhan! Wow! My boyfriend got chickenpox when he was 22. He got it really bad! I still think its better for kids to get it as young as possible, although I'm not sure I would actually put my kids in a bed/bath with other infected kids...
I am going to make luxurious hot chocolate now, with little cute small scrummy marshmallows. Yum!!! Anyone want some?
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gimu

My boyfriend got chickenpox when he was 22. He got it really bad! I still think its better for kids to get it as young as possible, although I'm not sure I would actually put my kids in a bed/bath with other infected kids...

Ha, that's what my mother did to me... and it didn't even work! I'm now 22, around kids all the time, and afraid of the Pox.

It's general election madness over here. gimu, are you being stalked by canvassers or is it just me? They always seem to come at dinner time too - argh! And then, no matter how old or conservative the candidate, they try to convince me that they're down with the kids. Bertie and Enda were prowling around my town at the weekend... I steered well clear.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My poor son got chicken pox two days after he'd been bitten by my parents' dog. So he had to fight off an infection and the chicken pox. He managed remarkably well.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  21:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! I bet the poor guy was miserable.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  22:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had chicken pox so bad when I was three or four years old that I'll probably be immune into my next life. I had them on every oriface of my body...in ears, between toes, and a few unmentionable places. I just remember crying and being miserable. My poor mom had three kids at once with chicken pox, each one worse than the previous. I was the youngest, last to get them, and had them the worst. My mom had them twice. Like Siobhan, she only had a few the first time, not enough to make her immune.

Diri, the problem with teaching is actually getting a job. Everyone is crying because there is a shortage of teachers, but it's really not true at all. In PA now, every entering freshman in college who major in Elementary Ed must also major in Special Ed. Why? Because we have such a surplus, last time I heard we had at least 100,000 more teachers in PA than jobs available, that they can require this. We're the only state doing it right now. I really don't want to move away from my family, but I think it's a pretty forgone conclusion if I want to stay in teaching I'll have to move. All the jobs are down south, where there are no unions, poor funding, and underperforming schools.

I'm off to get fingerprinted tomorrow morning. I'm not working so this is the first day I've had available to get it done. The district I'm applying to wants the prints now, but the law just went into effect April 1, 2007 and it takes 8 weeks for the results to come back. I'm including proof of getting fingerprinted and an explanation of lack of my fingerprint results in my packet. Schools have 90 days AFTER the hire date to require them so I'm really hoping they'll take that into considerations.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  00:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee - I'm NOT a huge fan of immunizing people for the hell of it but if I'd never had chicken pox and I worked with children, I'd get vaccinated. Chicken pox in an adult is a really scary disease. I refused to have my oldet daughter immunized for chicken pox because I wanted her to get her immunity the old-fashioned way... then changed my mind 5 years later when I found out my SPOUSE had never had them!

Gack. New job, I'm exhausted. I had hoped I would have an office again but alas - it's still cubeville. I hate cubicles but I'm quite used to them. But my cubicle is next to the printer so there are people creeping up on me all day long - tends to reduce my board-reading time.

New job is good - people are very nice and very amusing. Commute is fabulous by Los Angeles standards - I can drive a mile from my older daughter's school, park the car and take public transport the rest of the way. From leaving my house to walking in the office door it's 45 minutes and coming home is about the same. I love taking the train, I feel like a real city-person taking the "metro" to "downtown" to get to my office each day. Makes me feel like getting a briefcase or something.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  01:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow AMC - that sounds awful - such a long commute - well I know there are people who commute up to 3hours to work in Dublin every day - thats just unreasonable I suppose 45 minutes is not bad considering you are leaving your daughter off as well and using public transport...
As it is I have a 10 minute drive - with my new job, it'll be about 7 minutes - defintely can't complain - only thing is, if they find out I live so close, I will be first on the "on call" list - better not let them know...

Yes is is election madness down here Bee - I just went to get myself registered - I was never registered in the republic before, and I thought it was too late, but apparently not. I hope to receive voting card.
I have no political preferences apart from keep out Sinn fein - people don't realise what their policies are like (raise corporate tax at the same time as increasing foreign investment - sure that'll work) - people here just vote for "Johnny down the road" - "sure don't I know his brother and isn't he a great fella" - no deeper thought than that for a lot of people.
They've all been round except SF and PDs. The FG guy cought me in the garden planting bulbs and stopping lucky from digging them up again. Gary thought they were religious people like Jehovahs witnesses - he did a runner leaving me to deal with the nice unreligious FG guy. I really must read up about what they actually do.
You know I saw so many mistakes in posters and slogans for several of the parties - BIG grammatical errors and Logic errors. Like "tougher bail for criminals"!! I thought people on bail hadn't been convicted yet and therefore couldn't be called criminals - maybe we have a "guilty until proven innocent" system here??? Or on 2nd thoughts, maybe its 2nd time round offenders - that's the only way it works for me... Ahhh!

Edited by - gimu on 05/09/2007 01:36:53
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tougher bail for criminals?! My favourite thing about the posters though is the blatant photoshopping. They turned Enda Kenny into a short-haired brunet! Looks much more statesmanlike than the ginger quiff he's working at the moment.

The one thing that really makes me suspicious of politicians is I can't understand who in their right minds would want to be one. That said, a girl I know from school is running for election in my constituency. It's so weird seeing her look down on me from posters - she's only around 23! I'd throw her a vote, but she's SF, and I have similar feelings about them to you, gimu.

AMC - I might think about getting immunized against chickenpox. I didn't even know that was possible until yesterday! However, I got all sorts of tests done before I started my postgrad, including a test of my immunity to chickenpox, and the doctor never said a thing to me about it being a problem. So I might wait till my next lot of blood tests and ask about it then. I'm not working with kiddies at present anyway - I'm off to work with adults for a while.

I have a 75 minute commute and I don't even work in Dublin! Woe.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  09:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a very mild case of the chicken pox when I was 16. I caught them from my 8 year old sister (who had it worse than me). I got maybe two dozen pox all over my body. Glad to hear that I may be more likely to get shingles.

My commute isn't bad at all, only 15-20 minutes depending on traffic/weather.

Hubby and I are looking into buying a new car for him. We have an appointment to do some test drives next Monday. So far we're leaning towards getting a PT Cruiser. They have four different ones, but the one he really likes is a champagne color with lots of fancy options (an outlet in the back, a three in one remote control on the driver's visor). If he doesn't like that, they have a Dodge Stratus that we have our eye on too.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  09:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel very guilty to say that my commute is less than two minutes. [:I] But then I just work at the bank down the street, and usually only when the kids are in school. My job is nothing to write home about, but it does get me out of the house and gives me the chance to see and talk to a lot of people that I wouldn't otherwise. I gave up a full-time carreer after my son was born -- he requires a great deal of time and care, and I don't feel comfortable leaving him with a babysitter due to his special needs. I didn't work for ten years, but then two years ago they built the bank a block and a half from my house, which was too tempting to pass up. My bank job is more of a hobby really ... being a mom is still my full-time job.

Ahh .. Car shopping! We need a new one, too. Our old Grand Am (which my husband uses to commute) has about 200K miles on it and will probably give out soon if he keeps putting all those highway miles on it. We think we're going to buy my Mom & Dad's Buick Century, which is in great shape, when they get a new car this summer. He can drive it for a year, then give it to our daughter when she starts college in fall of '08. By then my Rendezvous will be paid for and he can get whatever vehicle he likes. (Poor hubby! I abhor the idea of two car payments so he has to drive old cars to work.)
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  10:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The one thing that really makes me suspicious of politicians is I can't understand who in their right minds would want to be one.

People who you don't want to be one.

Errr, bad grammar, but you know what I mean

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  11:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a PT Cruiser (04, I think) and we love it. Husband rented one from one of the big companies for a weekend to test the model without any sales pressure (my idea). Ended up buying ours that very weekend.
It is very rare to find a car that both of us feel comfortable in. I'm 5 feet nothing, therefore absolutely nothing is designed to fit me. Heck, by most standards, I shouldn't even be sitting in the front seat. I imagine at some point I'll be required to have a booster seat. My car is a 1990 Geo Prism. Old, yes, but I've less than 80,000 miles on it and it still runs well. Will probably be Daughter's car in six years.

Election fever is taking hold here too. Both major parties have had televised debates. Will probably turn ugly soon-- usually takes a dramatic downward turn just before the conventions. Their behaviour makes me sick to think I have to vote for any of them.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  13:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love having someone else from Ireland on the boards because I feel it gives me the chance to bore everyone with our national news.

Recently there's been uproar after a notorious gangland criminal in a high-security prison used a smuggled mobile phone to ring up a popular radio phone-in talkshow. So they did a big search of the prison to confiscate all phones and found... a budgie that had been smuggled in via a visitor's ladyparts. Ugh. And just now, top of the news headlines on the radio comes the announcement that another budgie has now been located in the prison. They seem to be the pet of choice for your average incarcerated gangster. Who knew?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 05/09/2007 13:13:57
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  14:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - my mind goes to all kinds of places but I can't even think of a joke involving Budgies. Now if it were gerbils...

Dobbygirl, we have a Chrysler Pacifica and we love it - it's not as cool at the PT Cruiser but it's bigger and we needed the room. I feel terrible Chrysler's been getting slammed in the sales arena and the stock market - the Pacifica was our first American car - I have always driven imports - and it's been great. I have 65K miles on it and have had zero problems. The resale on them is low but we bought ours used so that was actually a benefit.

Pixie, I'm the one driving the old car! We're waiting until we can afford to pay off car one before my spouse gets a new car - but he drives the kids to school so he's driving the "new" car, I'm driving my 13 year old compact and his old car (a 1984 BMW) is sitting in the driveway, waiting to be restored. No one can say we're sensible about cars - cheap, yes, but not sensible.

Edited by - AMC on 05/09/2007 14:56:23
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  14:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gimu, my commute is heavenly by local standards! I leave home at 7:15am and I should be home about 5:45pm, after picking up both kids - that's very manageable. My spouse leaves home at 8:15 and doesn't make it home until around 8pm. His commute takes up 2-2.5 hours of his day and he can't read magazines while he drives like I can on the train!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  15:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, you're exactly as tall as I am. I never thought of the front seat bit, oh well.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  16:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Chrysler Pacificas! In fact, that was my first choice of vehicle the last time I bought. But since I was looking in early '03, the only ones available were brand-spanking-new off the lot, and overpriced (at that time). I ended up with a Rendezvous one year used for a much better price. It's been a great car too, and good on gas for the size, even if it's not quite as sbanana (edit: I typed s w a n k ) as the Pacifica. Hubby likes the PT Cruisers, too, but he'll probably end up with a Honda Civic or something like that due to gas mileage. The hybrids will probably be looking pretty good in a year and a half.

Edited by - n/a on 05/09/2007 17:01:27
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  17:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, post from earlier today didn't post. Oh well, must not have been anything important.

I'm taller than someone! Siobhan and JKR, I have two inches on you guys. I'm a gigantic 5'2". Last week I was in 4th grade and had to have a student pull down the classroom map because I was too short to reach it.

My commute is about 20 minutes to go 3 miles by way the crow flies. It's ridiculously long because it's across the river and there are no bridges nearby. So I have to drive down-river, cross the bridge, and then drive back up-river. I guess once upon a time when my parents were kids they used to have a ferry running across the river. Wish they'd still have it because that would shorten my commute to about 5 minutes. Actually, the picture of home I posted a number of pages back shows how close it really is.

I drove up to the school district that I'm applying to to turn in my application. It took about a half hour, including waiting for a train to pass. I was going to mail it, but the deadline is Friday and I didn't know if it would arrive in time. So I hand delivered it. My dad wasn't doing anything today so he drove out with me. He says he has a "feeling" I'm going to get it, but isn't happy about my applying out there because it would be a bad commute in snow. But my aunt lives up the road from the school so if it would become too bad I could just bunk at her place. I hope his "feeling" pans out. I really need a permanent job. Last week he had a "feeling" he was going to be lucky at the casino and then went and won a nice jackpot. I'm keeping all my fingers, and toes, crossed.

I also got fingerprinted today. I had a long wait. I was about 40th on the list for today and the woman doing it said it's been that busy everyday. No more ink, everything is electronically scanned. The last time I was fingerprinted it was in 1st grade and I was six years old.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  17:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heehee Bee - glad to be of service - I hadn't heard about the budgies!!! Joe Duffy gets the weirdest callers! I wish I'd heard that call. (He is the radio presenter who took the call from Prison) - I wonder how popular the idiot is?
I just booked a short break to Italy - we are going to Pisa/Florence/Tuscany for 4 days on saturday week!

We also need a new car - we would ideally like to get an estate car like audi A6 or something similar - one where Lucky would have her own space to travel in. we will have to drive her up to my parents to stay while we go to Italy... Oh what fun - I think we might get a sleeping tablet for her otherwise the 4 hour journey will seem a lot longer!!!
I don't even recognise most of the names of the cars you are talking about - I suppose they are big cars - a lot more of those are on the roads here in Ireland now. 10 years ago, large vehicles were strictly for farmers only. Aren't they really expensive to run?

Oh and, guess what? I am 5ft tall exactly also - mad eh?

Edited by - gimu on 05/09/2007 17:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  19:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the PT
http://www.chrysler.com/en/pt_cruiser/index.html?pid=12206054&adid=23836373&rid=&bid=1758115&mktprgm=&pref=
It's not what I would call a big car. Fits in the compact car parking spots in Charleston public parking ramps (known for squeezing in as many cars as possible-- I once had to climb out the window of my car because the car next was so close). There are smaller cars on the road, like the Mini Cooper. PT's are about the same size as Toyota Corolla's (or Geo Prisms from 1990). It's just a little higher up. My parents bought one after they rode in ours.

Jo, you're a giant!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.