Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  23:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard of this Washington, D.C. madam on the national news? Well...I just found out that she's from about five miles away from me! I thought the last name was familiar. It's so odd when you find out people who you know family of make the national spotlight. Especially when they run a brothel for politicians.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/01/2007 23:48:19
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  01:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially then!

We had a big to-do a few years ago when the Hollywood Madame's book was released - several actors were veeery embarassed. It always makes me wonder - what's the point of being a stressed out famous person if you still need to pay to get.. read to? It seems pretty wierd.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  03:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is going to be fun! I can't wait to see what names and numbers she gives out. Who's betting a lot of Christian conservative Republicans are going to be out of a job by the end of the year?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 84 Lumber stores here. That old story about a significantly older man marrying a young bride is so old itself I'm not shocked by it. The only people it affects are the family members that may be out of inheritance because of the new wife.

Another high profile madam, eh?
Just before an election, too... coincidence? I think not. Wonder who will be involved? Sadly, it probably won't hurt them too badly. We'll have to endure some teary public apologies, but somehow sexual scandal (when properly repented for) doesn't seem to damage politicians. Now their home lives may be hellish for a while, but the wives involved usually don't do anything publicly except stand by their men and suffer quietly.

Lucky is darling! I have always wondered what Whidbey would have looked like as a puppy. He was most likely irresistable-- like a golden retreiver with long wavy fur. He has really been the best of dogs.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  17:27:43  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is unfortunate that the scandal won't hurt some of them--it would be nice to do a thorough house cleaning in D.C. But it sound like it won't happen--she evidently did do some things that were legal, or at least, that seemed to be.

I'll give you one for a famous person that I'd rather not claim in my town--(if you've paid attention to American Idol, then you'll know where I am, ahem)--and that's Sanjaya. Funny thing is, most of the kids that go to his high school didn't know him either. I haven't watched any of it this year, but I can see why so many people are glad that he's gone. He just seemed really. . . . . . odd, and not in a good way.

And Apollo Ono is also from my town. As a matter of fact, before his dad moved him to California to train, he used to roller skate at the rink where my girls did. I'm sure we saw him when he was younger--he's the same age as one of my daughters. I remember there were four or five kids who were into speed skating and they would come skate after the little kids cleared the floor--amazing to watch. How's he doing with the dancing anyway? I never get to watch that one either.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  19:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's dancing? Is it that "Dancing With the Stars" show?

Never watched any of that reality/contest stuff. American Idol doesn't interest me one iota-- probably because I hate that singing style that eschews "the more notes crammed into a song, the better." Also hate the idea that showing more skin makes up for a lack of vocal training.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  20:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I thought I was the only one who hated that...the singers trilling the whole scale where one note is supposed to be. So many singers do that now and it just ruins songs for me.

I got some more yardwork done after school today. Last night, I bought my marigolds, four different varieties. So that's good to begin with. Can't plant them yet, though, because the last frost is still expected. So they're sitting in the tiny greenhouse (neatest thing I got at Walmart) waiting to be planted. Today, I moved massive stones. I mean about 50-100lb things with the aid of a handtruck. There are huge fieldstone bolders laying in a large pile so I'm moving them to make a raised flower bed. I also got some of the walkway I'm redoing dug up. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. At least I'm getting some exercise out of it.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate the Whitney Houston/Celine Dion effect too! Just sing the song already!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  13:57:25  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My feelings exactly. The thing is, that style works, sort of, for a few people--very few. But then in the last 10 to 15 years everyone else thinks that they have to do that to a song, and the stupid audiences always clap the loudest when someone does that.

I remember going to a choir retreat with Laura's choir (as a chaperone). And the choir director who was working with them talked about a gospel piece they were doing and encouraged the soloists to play around with their part. Which worked really well with that particular song. But the point he made is that if you are going away from the written notes, you have to stay within the box, that is the key signature, and you have to come back. That's the mistake a lot of them make, and the result is that they stray away from the key that the song is in, and then it just has the effect that they are off-key--which they are. And they tend to go on with it far too long. I suppose that's the main reason I'm not terribly fond of jazz--it's all about wandering away from the written melody and improvising.

And yes, Siobhan, he's dancing. I've not watched it, but have seen a few clips, and people have said that he's doing really well. I actually do like Dancing with the Stars better than American Idol, because they do different styles of dances and have to learn them in a short time. So it's kind of fun to see how some of them are able to master a dance--plus they show the rehearsal clips, so you can see that they really did have to put in a lot of work to get to the performance.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  19:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was into American Idol. This year it's just not that interesting...and really Sanjaya did ruin it for me. The one guy I really liked didn't make it but Sanjaya did. I probably won't watch it ever again, it's totally fixed.

Where I live, people usually only become "famous" for doing something bad or having something bad happen to them. Example, I don't know if you have heard about Tara Grant, a woman who was murdered and dismembered by her husband. Tara grew up only a few miles from where I live, so the story has gotten all kinds of coverage around here.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  23:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
American Idol really isn't good this year. I think it really has suffered because of the bland season. I've not talked to anyone who's really enjoyed this season.

Did you all see that Paris Hilton is going to jail for 45 days. I feel so sorry for her. If a regular person had a DUI, got caught twice on a suspended license, and violated other aspects of their probation like she did they would have been in jail in nothing flat. Glad to see some justice in the world.

I'm having a hard time this spring. I had another migraine this afternoon. I went months without really having one, but this spring has been terrible. My dad has also been getting them after a long dry spell. It's the weather, my biggest trigger. I got one this afternoon before school let out. I came home, took medicine, and just laid on the couch till about 7pm. Usually spring and fall are bad times for me. At least I don't have allergies to bother me, also.

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/04/2007 23:06:57
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  05:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it wrong that I'm positively gleeful that Paris Hilton is going to prison? I'm such a compassionate soul.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  06:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compassion is hard at the best of times, and Paris Hilton is certainly a test case. I don't even think either Jesus or the Buddha, the only guys in the history of the world to have come up with that weird concept in the first place, ever invisioned it as a way of life (Jesus does say "I come not in peace, but with a sword" after all), but as more of an ideal. People often confuse compassion with pity, but they're not the same thing. I have no pity for Paris Hilton. I actually think a few days in prison might give her some very basic education she has so obviously never recieved in her short, monumentally meaningless existence. Do I have the will to swallow my own sense of moral superiority and forgive her? Dunno.

Anyone see "A Little Princess"? Turns out the actress from that movie, Liesel Matthews (real name Liesel Prizker) is also a hotel heiress. Only she goes to Columbia University and successfully sued her family for $500 million in misappropriated funds. Wonder if Paris could do that.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 05/05/2007 07:09:12
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  17:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I also think its great Paris Hilton is going to jail. To be honest I know as little as is possible to know about her - I have this allergy to silly pointless people like her - what can be more annoying than abuse of power - she has all the money needed to do so much to help the world, and what does she do? Act the eejit as my dad would say. I think he called her a silly goat. My father never swears so thats actually quite bad.
Lucky decided to run away on Thursday evening. I let her into our front garden which has a dodgy fence at the mo. While I was getting ready to bake a cake, she managed to get the gate open a little and was gone. I called her for about 5 minutes and then started running down the field and around our estate looking for her. The little madam was lying in the shade in next doors garden. Anyway, I got to know a lot of the kids in the estate through the whole episode - she is very popular now and we get little callers to visit all the time now. Its just a pity she made such a fool out of me. Time to get a new fence or wall!!! The one at the back of the house is great as she can't get out at all.
I don't like the american idol style programs - I just hate where they are giving out the results "through to the next round are... and then a pause for enough time where you could make a cup of tea. Ahhhh!! thats enough to stop me watching those shows.
we have a bank holiday here in ireland this Monday - I'm trying to get motivated to remove paint and repaint walls. We've had good weather for about 6 weeks now and it is to break tomorrow, so maybe I'll be more inclined to stay in the house and do it.
One claim to "fame" in my family is we are related to Christine Keeler - that lady who managed to bring down the conservative government in the UK in the 60's in the profumo affair - never met her - noone speaks of her - I only found out recently when my great aunt mentioned that we are related - she is my grandfathers cousin apparently.

Edited by - gimu on 05/05/2007 17:37:41
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  18:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*grumbles* There is a position open that I saw for teaching that I'm applying for, but I know they're going to throw my application because as of last month I now have to be fingerprinted and have a federal background check, in addition to the other background checks I get. It's a brand new law and started April 1st. You can't get your results for up to 8 weeks and schools want results now or they throw the application out. We have so many teachers in PA that this is their first line of whittling down the application pile. So my results won't be back in time to really apply anywhere this spring. Sucks royally. I'm applying anyway. There is an opening for Business teacher and hopefully there won't be alot of applications so they'll keep mine. Grrr..I hate this state I live in.

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/05/2007 22:23:41
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  09:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thats just rubbish - I hate the adminisphere when it decides to do things just so someone else in the civil service has a job to do. actually thats what I hated most about living in Germany - so many stupid rules and so many stupid out of the way offices to visit in order to get this certificate and that form stamped. At least I didn't have such a bad time like the non-europeans - they had so much more to do.
well I suppose in your case it is a security thing - although if you say there are already other background checks, then why is it so important. ? Its still pants though.
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  09:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently avoiding painting by the way. Gary is about to shout at me to get up off my lazy behind though. Hope you are all enjoying a nice relaxing day.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I spent 8 hours yesterday at a Theme park with 3 children so by rights I SHOULD have a nice, relaxing day today but... no such luck. The chores still need to be done, I start my new job tomorrow, the house need to be picked up, etc, etc, etc.

Good Luck, Jo - I had to jump through HOOPS for my job and I have a stack of papers I need to bring in the first day or I won't have a job any more: TB test certification, criminal record info, address verification, government work history, worker's comp history plus a few more.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  13:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well gimu, from the looks of it you don't need an excuse to avoid the painting anymore - the weather's broken! Bah. It's manky out where I am anyway. It's weird, I'd gotten so used to the sunshine that now we're back to normal it feels really strange and unusual.

Good luck with your job application, Jo. Red-tape sucks royally. That reminds me actually, I need to get a chest x-ray to prove to the good people of the USA that I don't have TB. Our vaccine is different to the one they give in the States, so I've a wee bit of TB in my system from it, which here would be interpreted as proof of vaccine, but over there apparently would be interpreted as me being consumptive. Sigh.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  14:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be funny, but that kids in upstate SC have actually come down with TB recently. I don't understand how, with all the proofs of innoculation that are required to get a child in school, any of the kids could actually contracted it, but it is apparently possible.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  15:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there have been lots of cases of people testing positive for TB here in Cork. 2 nursery schools/creches were affected. However just because they have tested positive doesn't mean they will get TB - it means they have tested positive for latent TB which means they have a 1 in 10 chance of developing the symptoms - something along those lines anyway. Children can't spread it anyway. It was a creche assistant who had it. Cork is the only county in Ireland where babies aren't vaccinated against TB. Lack of funding or something - can't understand that really since they will have to vaccinate everyone anyway at age 12. Well I suppose they have a backlog of all those under 12 who haven't had the vaccine.
We have 1 1/2 coats done now. And yes it is miserable here too Bee - mizzle drizzle all the way. I just took Lucky for her walk - she doesn't really enjoy walking, but we're continuing to take her on short walks so she can get used to being on the lead. She is quite obedient really - I thought training her would be more difficult. She understands the word no, so thats a good start.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  15:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Siobhan, American children DON'T get immunized against TB. They have to have the skin test, not the vaccine, in order to go to school. The argument goes as follows - it isn't prevalent enough in our country and the immunization causes the standard skin test to be unreliable, so if we immunized the kids we'd have to start taking chest x-rays of all children across the country to verify they didn't have TB. Huh. Funny how many other countries have gotten around this.

Anyway Bee - it's not that our vaccine is different, it's that we don't vaccinate. So I too had to have a chest x-ray last week because I was vaccinated as a baby (I was born abroad, as well as a broad) and I react to the skin test as you do.

Edited by - AMC on 05/06/2007 15:54:55
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  17:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really mind red tape in Germany, at least they're a lot less likely to lose the forms than the Brits are .

Errrr, so you have to have a skin test and an x-ray when you've been vaccinated against TB? Even though you're not going to have TB, since you were, um, vaccinated against it?

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  19:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe. I just had a TB test and will probably have to get another, even though I just got one, because I want to add schools I sub at if I don't get a teaching position this year. This one I'm applying for is perfect! It's for an elementary technology teacher. This is what I really would love to do. I'm hoping they don't throw my application out. A few of us were talking and we think they have an idea who they're hiring already because it's only being posted less than a week and so early in the hiring season. Hopefully I'll have more experience. The certification is K-12 Business/Computers/Tech, but I also have Elementary certification on top of that so I'm hoping it gives me an edge. The job is about 40 minutes away, but I'd commute an hour to get a permanent teaching job. There are also 4 elementary positions open at this school, but it's so competitive that I feel I have a better chance with the Technology position, plus it's one I want more.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  00:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crossing fingers and toes for you, Jo! But so frequently they do have a "strong candidate identified" when they post - aka, no one else has a chance.

LOL Martje. The TB vaccine's protection does not last into adulthood, apparently. Also, I have no way of "proving" I was vaccinated in Brazil 43 years ago, they don't tattoo you with a happy face lung or anything.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  05:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the vaccine doesn't last into adulthood? Didn't know that. Ah well, I really don't think I have TB - I'm not from Cork for starters. Besides, I'm immune to loads of stuff, including things I'm not vaccinated against. I'm just magic like that. The college nurse refuses to believe I've never had German Measles before, but it's really just down to my awesome powers of superimmunity.

It must be such a pain having to get chest x-rays everytime you try to get a job in an educational, healthcare or God-knows-what setting. Sort it out, United States!

Best of luck with your job application, Jo. Really hope it works out for you - it sounds ideal.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  09:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats mad having to get repeat chest x-rays all the time! Its not good to have too many x-rays. Jo, and others, if you continue to have to get these x-rays - get an extra copy the next time you have to have one. I know I have done that before, just because I wanted to have a picture of the metal in me (I have a metal hip). They should accept an x-ray a year old. Or is it just the skin test you have to have, Jo?
We are going to have to replace the fence today - its windy for the first time in ages and its about to collapse!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Actually Siobhan, American children DON'T get immunized against TB. They have to have the skin test, not the vaccine, in order to go to school. The argument goes as follows - it isn't prevalent enough in our country and the immunization causes the standard skin test to be unreliable, so if we immunized the kids we'd have to start taking chest x-rays of all children across the country to verify they didn't have TB. Huh. Funny how many other countries have gotten around this.
So in this country the idea is that it is better to test for the disease than prevent it? Figures. Is the TB test the one like a mosquito bite? Oh, the TB tyne test! Father-in-law worked for Lederly for years. They are the ones that produced that particular test. Probably lobbied to keep a vaccine from becoming required, too.

Oooh, almost forgot, I found an interesting site yesterday while perusing the internet for HP desktop wallpapers. They have some nice looking artwork photoshopped from movie photos and other sources. Just a note that I haven't looked at all the art, so I'm not sure all of it is "safe". It looked like at least PG-13, though.
http://www.misplaced.co.uk/uglybusiness/other.php

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  11:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Requiring a slew of vaccinations is a darned-if-you-do, darned-if-you-don't situation. Vaccinations carry risks, too, and a lot of parents protest having to vaccinate their children at all. (Not me, but I do know some.) One argument I've heard is that the risk of having a bad vaccination is greater than the risk of contracting the disease in the wild, at least in this country. Mind you, I'm not advocating this position because I don't know all the stats. Another point is that the vaccine simply isn't that effective, preventing disease only 50-80% of the time. I am surprised, though, that a vaccine isn't administered to people in the education and health care fields, where the risk is greater. Even though the risk of occasional x-rays is now next to nil (my son gets orthopedic x-rays several times a year to check his scoliosis), and they're widely and conveniently available in the US, it's an administrative inconvenience to say the least. I know a girl who keeps getting false positives from her TB x-rays so she has to go through a whole mess of red tape and testing every time. It seems there should be a way to make the process easier for those key people. Oh ... I just read that apparently some people do get the vaccine if they are at high enough risk, but the vaccine might not be all that effective after all, so all the testing is still necessary. *sigh* Can't win.

Edit:
I just looked up TB Vaccine on Wikipedia, and their article explains the issue much better and more accurately. Apparently the UK no longer gives routine TB immunizations, either, because the incidence of disease has become so rare that not enough potential cases were being prevented to justify the cost. Hmmm ... I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news for most of us.

Edited by - n/a on 05/07/2007 11:54:09
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  16:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that in Holland, as soon as they find a TB case, they trace every single person who has been in contact with this person, and test them (last time they had to test the entire clientele of a pub). It seems to be effective, it hardly ever happens.

What's the point of x-rays if you can get false positives?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.