Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  23:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, Pixie's right, get all the information you can and don't let anyone pressure you into action you're not comfortable with. I don't know how private schools handle this sort of thing. I have no experience personally with dyslexia, except that my mom wanted me tested in Kindergarten or 1st Grade. She was worried because I was having trouble with letter reversals. Neither my sister nor my brother, who was in the Title I program, had this trouble. The special education teacher, who my mom knew well, said it was because I was left-handed and would work itself out. Eventually it did. A lot of children have this problem, and while it is one sign of dyslexia, it's nothing to really worry about in children who are emergent readers.

Oh, that reminds me, I got chastized the other day by the Kindergarteners. We were practicing our letter Q and I was saying the movement but going opposite of what I should. Being left-handed I make my circles in the "wrong" direction. Well, the kids called me out on it. There is only one lefty in class and so I had to explain to them that because I'm left-handed sometimes I use different motions. They just kept saying "You're doing it wrong." So I ended up just telling them that yes, I was doing it wrong and made sure I wrote them the correct way. At least I know they were paying attention. Ninety percent of the time I don't even think about being a lefty, but you really notice it in Kindergarten when you're trying to teach fine motor skills to a group that does everything mirror image of what you do. You hear of people all the time going "Oh no, my child is a lefty." I'll be the parent saying "Oh no, my child is a righty."

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/20/2007 00:29:46
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  10:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daughter is a lefty. It really isn't an issue for us in school or elsewhere. She does have trouble with some of the details of living in a right-hand justified world, but adapts well. If she hadn't broken her elbow when she was about 5, I think she might have been more ambidexterous.

In teaching her penmanship, I just made certain the paper was turned properly for her and that she didn't do the "hook hand" thing. Sadly, I learned recently that one of our local schools was trying to break the left handedness of a friend's child. I thought that garbage had gone by the wayside long ago, but apparently not. As a result the little girl's grades for her penmanship are low.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Sadly, I learned recently that one of our local schools was trying to break the left handedness of a friend's child. I thought that garbage had gone by the wayside long ago, but apparently not. As a result the little girl's grades for her penmanship are low.

That's utterly ridiculous! They used to do that sort of thing when my dad was at school, but I thought that sort of attitude was long gone by now.

I know a disproportionately large number of lefties. About a third of my primary school class were left-handed and now a good proportion of my current college class are as well.

Good luck with finding the appropriate services for your daughter, AMC. I don't know what the allied health field is like in the US, but I really feel for parents trying to access services for their kids over here because it can be very difficult, particularly as there's a lot of misinformation out there about what dyslexia actually is. Like Pixie said, I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job getting any assistance your daughter needs, and from the sound of it, you're doing your homework on what's available.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bee. Our local school system sucks, to be brutal. So we already have our kids in private schools and now we "get" to pay for private tutoring as well. Although the financial burden of the services she needs is going to be huge, we can and will manage it. It's another example of why the gap between education levels of the well-off and the poor keep widening - our daughter will probably end up doing fine because we can pay for services. If we were poor, she'd be shunted off to a "special ed" program that would probably depress her to the point where she'd be lucky if she got her equivalency degree.

That's INSANE Siobhan - I know you say your local schools are in the dark ages but that's just unbelievable.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know of any teachers who still switch kids, but I have heard parents who still do it. They think they're doing their children a favor because if they grew up left-handed then they'd have to adapt, not realizing the links to switched handedness and stuttering, learning disabilities, dexterity problems, etc. And yes, some tasks are a bit more difficult, but you learn your own coping mechanisms. While my dad's family is almost all right-handed, more than half of my mom's side are lefties. It's something like 65% of the family. Extremely high numbers. In my immediate family, though, my brother, sister and father were all righties with my mom and I being the lefties.

Not only am I lefty, but unlike most of my southpaw friends, I'm extremely left-handed, left-footed, and not ambidextrous. My right hand is just for decoration. The only thing I can do with my right hand is work a computer mouse and that's because I had to use it that way in high school because it was an ergonomic mouse. But even that took me a long time to effectively learn it. One area where it really is a problem is knitting. I've read many articles that say just don't learn left-handed, but that's the only way I can knit. If I follow a pattern, then everything has to be reversed...left becomes right, up becomes down. So I never follow patterns, opting to make up my own. But then I only make hats and scarves. I've never attempted anything else.

A teacher, who switched all her students, tried to switch my mom in elementary. She had her right arm broken and had to use her left. When the cast came off the teacher forced her to use her right hand for one day. The next day my Gram, also a lefty, went to school and had a private meeting with the teacher. We have no idea what was said, but she never touched my mom again.

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/20/2007 12:15:39
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  13:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not only am I lefty, but unlike most of my southpaw friends, I'm extremely left-handed, left-footed, and not ambidextrous. My right hand is just for decoration.

Ditto!

I think my son might be a closet lefty. He has finally stopped writing letters backwards, but his writing in general is appalling. He's not dyslexic, he can read really well (we had to teach him, the school wasn't bothered ).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 04/20/2007 13:35:59
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  19:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom is a lefty and she told me that they tried to switch her in grade school, but I think my grandparents had a little chat with the nuns (she went to Catholic school until 9th grade). My grandpa was a teacher in public school, and I think he knew better than to do that to my mom.

Both my sister and I are right handed, but I'm fairly good with my left hand. I can write, although the penmanship is horrible. When I was in 4th grade I was severely burned on my right shoulder and couldn't use my right arm for at least two months.

I wish you all the luck with your daughter AMC.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  22:22:19  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so totally out of touch, but wanted to drop by to let you know how things are going with Terry. His surgery went well on Friday--long, 6 hours, which was what the doctor said it would be--then two hours in recovery, so it was late when he finally got into his room. We stayed long enough to see him settled in and went back on Saturday morning. He had already been up walking, several times, and was doing as well as could be expected.

Sunday was a rough day--he's having trouble breathing, so they've done several tests and ruled out biggies like blood clots, thank goodness. Today they did a procedure to clear his lungs and that has helped his breathing, but he's still having some issues. I'm home taking a break for dinner while Sarah and Chris are back at the hospital. It's been a long day.

I probably won't be around much this week. So I'm doing a lot of reading in his room (Oliver Twist--I have a small book I can slip in my purse--otherwise I'd be hauling around OotP to keep up with the Leaky Lounge Reading Group). At least that way when he is awake I'm there to talk to him, but I'm not just twiddling my thumbs while he's asleep.

Please keep him and our family in your prayers. Thanks.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Eeyore. I was wondering how he was doing and am glad he came out of the surgery so well. Major abdominal surgery is hard on a person. Here's hoping the breathing issues will clear up quickly and he'll be home soon.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  11:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope he gets better, Eeyore. You guys are in my prayers.

I actually got some yard work done yesterday after work. I don't teach today so I thought I'd get some done this afternoon, also, but it's 11:30am and I'm still in my pjs so I don't know if that's going to happen. The weather is finally in 50s and 60s. I won't be able to plant until the second or third week of May, but there is alot of prep work to do. I got my wall border dug up and the border fence put in. Next, I have to get the garden cloth and mulch down. Then I have a walkway to relay, two other flower beds to dig up, bramble to cut down, grass to cut, etc. It's never ending when you have more than a small patch of land.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  12:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Eeyore - my best hopes for Terry's breathing issues to work out soon. Post-Op is always a scary time for everyone.

I'm in my last two weeks of this job, I start my new one immediately afterwards. I'm jealous of your yard-work time, Jo!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  15:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope Terry gets well soon, Eeyore! Thanks for the update.

Good luck with the new job, AMC.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  16:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give Terry my best wishes Eeyore.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all - hope you're all well! Things are certainly starting to warm up with less than 3 months to go - I really cant imagine what it will be like when its done - when we know how it ends... Have you all planned your day?
The news with me is that I have just got a new job and am just over the moon about it. We also got a new puppy - her name is Lucky and she is 10 weeks old. She is a Border Collie/Golden Labrador cross and has the nicest happiest temperament ever! We just love her to bits!

Eeyore - sorry to hear about the difficult time your family are going through - I really hope Terry gets over the OP and the therapy. Those chemo drugs just keep getting better! You never know, we might have made them here... Anyway - I really hope he copes with the chemo well - my friends dad has more or less the same condition and he hardly knew he was on chemo at all - no issues with it at all. Anyway, you'll be in my prayers! All the best!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  18:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gimu! We had a border collie mix when I was a kid - the best dog ever! Our current dog is part schipperke and (we think) part border collie - she has the fringy tail and cute ears but she's much smaller than a collie and has a schipperke face.

So..
with flop-forward ears.

She's an old doggie but still pretty cute and very sweet. She is NOT smart, however, which makes us wonder about the border collie ancestry, my childhood dog was as smart as they make dogs... or man.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  19:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, best of luck and good wishes to you and Terry, Eeyore.

I've never heard of the breed schipperke - but I do know a dog like that. She's apparently a Japanese breed - am I talking about the same dog? She's the same colour as a fox though slightly larger, and very independent, like a cat. I've only met her once but she was gorgeous.

Wow all the lefties on here! We spend a lot of time in my research lab looking for lefties for research - it's relatively difficult to find someone who is a -1 lefthander (on a scale of -1 = left, 1= right). Most people who identify as lefties fall somewhere around 0, as the measurement tool includes all sorts of tasks, not just writing.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  21:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, too bad I'm in the US, you could research me. I'm an extreme lefty. There are quite a lot of us in my family, even in the second and third cousins. I get told all the time I should use my right hand more because I'm too dependant on my left. But my opinion is that I adapt enough and when righties start using their left hands more then I'll think about it.

Does anyone want my dog? She's too smart and we've learned that most obedience schools won't accept Jack Russells. They're too willful. I have over an acre of ground and can't let her off the leash because she goes automatically up the road. And she'll get in the car with anyone. And you can't keep her collar on because the shape of her neck and head allows her to slip right out of it. Harnesses don't work either. I really need to get her microchipped someday.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  21:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, I think the breed you are referring to is the Shiba Inu http://www.puppydogweb.com/shibainu.htm
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww, what a cute dog, AMC!

My mom is a lefty, and she'd be very interesting to research. I've never quite understood the way she does things, but it works for her. My mother-in-law is left-handed also, so I was sure that at least one of our children would be a lefty too. However, they both turned out to be righties, like hubby and I. Boring lot, us.

Edited by - n/a on 04/25/2007 22:49:03
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  23:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We'd love to research you all! One of my lefty friends did their research and found out that she is truly lefty, as her language cortex is in her right hemisphere. My supervisor (a lefty herself) was all excited.

Ah, JKRIs, that's the dog! The one I met was a lot more russet-coloured than the ones in those photos. They're really very cute, and I don't like dogs that much.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  05:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a lefty too, though I have no idea how much of a lefty, because I have a spasticity on the left side of my body, so I tend to use my right for certain specific tasks, like moving a mouse.

I'm interested in getting a dog. I can't afford another Dane, but I don't want a yipdog. Any ideas?

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 04/26/2007 05:26:50
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  05:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best wishes to you and Terry, Eeyore. Hope he's recovering well from the surgery.

I'm skipping lectures today in order to finish an assignment that's due tomorrow... and yet, I haven't even gotten as far as opening the Word document yet. I skipped lectures yesterday as well, just so I could go out for dinner with friends last night. I'm so rubbish at knuckling down and actually doing stuff. Pah.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  10:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would anyone be interested in me doing one of my planet posts on the new "Earth 2" that was recently discovered? Or would the very idea make you all groan?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What, it's true? I hadn't had time to look it up yet, but Stephen Colbert mentioned it last night in his show opening (there's another earth so go ahead and drive those Hummers).

I've met a little Schipperke before. They are adorable, but the one I met yipped a lot. They are a Dutch breed, I think-- little boat dogs.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  13:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give it go if you want to and I'll definitely give it a read. Can't guarantee I'll understand a word of it though, but it's interesting stuff!

I feel better about skipping college today because there was a gangland shooting on my route. You'd think I'd be grateful because I didn't get caught up in the horribleness of it, but really I'm just pleased I have a kick-ass excuse for my own laziness. I'm officially going to hell.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  13:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Schipperkes are dead cute! They're called that because they often lived on ships.

My uncle has a lovely dog, Diri. It's a red one, although most people get the blond version nowadays (even though red is their original colour).

He looks like this:

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  18:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got 3316 words down and I'm still not finished. My word limit? 2000. Time to back away from the computer methinks. I'll get up early and edit like a demon tomorrow and all will be well. Hopefully.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  20:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd read it, Diri!

I like mutts. They're calmer, have fewer health problems and you can feel virtuous about adopting them from the animal shelter rather than guilty for financing puppy farms.

I love collie mixes and spaniels, Diri but honestly - I like all dogs. Our neighbors have a great, big, smelly old lab who snuffles up to me when I'm there - dogs can tell I'm a total push-over. I pat him even though I need to jump up each time and wash my hands - he's got the kind of skin/fur that makes my hands itch.

Edited by - AMC on 04/26/2007 20:45:25
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  22:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most our dogs have been mutts. We used to have a german shephard/collie mix. It was suspected some husky was in him, also. He was a massive dog with thick hair and loved the snow. Most people thought he was mean because of his size, but he'd probably lick you to death before attacking you. When I was little I remember one mutt we had ended up having a litter of thirteen pups. It was a pug mix and not a huge dog. I remember having a playpen full of puppies for weeks while we tried to adopt them out.

I have a sore throat today. I've picked up some bug at school. I took a Zicam after school and going to take one more soon. That's all I have left so I'm off to the store in the morning. Around 7:30 tonight I got so cold that I put the electric blanket on and fell asleep for about an hour on the couch. I woke up and was sweating. Must have had a low grade fever. So now I'm going to have a cup or two of tea and probably go to bed.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  03:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Diri? Get a Burmese cats. They're the most fun animals I've ever met.

In dog terms, though, the Shiba Ibu I met didn't make a single peep. Apparently they;re not very vocal. I hate yippy dogs too - the urge to kick rises.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.