Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  11:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's insane - can you wear those ugly leather sneakers that look like dress shoes? Uncomfortable shoes are the worst.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  12:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

It's Miss [Surname]. Usually only preschools say the first name in my experience. I'd prefer it to be Miss Kellie. A high school teacher I was talking to said that her old school had teachers called by their first names and it was great. All married and unmarried women were Miss [First Name] like you said and men were Mr. [First Name].
That's the rule we made for Daughter. We started out trying the honorary aunt and uncle stuff, but Husband has two brothers. That confuses real realtions with good friends, so we went to the Miss [first name] and Mister [first name]. It always sounded odd to me as a kid, but it seemed the obvious choice as an adult.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  15:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Jo we really are alike! I'm with you on liking the smell of coffee but hating the taste, needing at least nine hours sleep, and not getting a tattoo on account of a) pain, and b) how it might look when I'm older.

Myf, I've been watching Doctor Who as well. Loved the HP references! I'm really liking Martha so far, and the "Expelliarmus" bit made me like her even more.

Today I very naughtily got two entire books photocopied and bound at the printers. Set me back €25, which is a saving of approximately €75. Hooray!

I'm so happy it's the weekend! Even though this was a short week on account of Easter, it feels like it's lasted forever. I plan to have an early night tonight with lots of lovely sleep, and then hopefully go to a barbeque tomorrow, weather permitting. It's so rare we get to have barbeques over here, so it's a bit of a novelty.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  17:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only coffee that tastes the way coffee smells is Jamaican Blue Mountian. Bit pricey, though. But very nice.

Can you get K-shoes by Clark's in the States? They're comfortable, even the dressy ones.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  17:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of them Starling. It's so hard to find nice looking, comfortable dress shoes.

I don't know what it's like in other schools, but the ones I'm in all require dress attire. Usually no jeans or sneakers are allowed. When I teach I'm up walking around all day. Half the time haunching down to look at papers or even on my knees at the student's level. It's ridiculous that you're not allowed to wear comfortable shoes. Part of me is really hoping for a permanent job in high school or middle school just because it's easier on the knees and I can sit a little more. But the downside is that you have to get up at least an hour earlier because school starts at 7:30am around here.

Siobhan, it confuses people because we call some of my dad's cousins Aunt and Uncle. They were raised together and he's from a big family to begin with so it's nothing to add another aunt or uncle into the mix. I usually have to sit and explain that they're really cousins but like aunts and uncles. I know alot of places in the south say Miss with the first name. You never hear that in the North.

My neice had a poetry assignment the other day and called for help. It had to be about an onomatopeia. My dad gave her the following:
The man went kerplunk,
After he got drunk,
And if you turn this in,
You will flunk, flunk, flunk.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  18:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7.30am?! That's insanity! All the schools here start at 9am. Actually, on second thoughts 7.30 is a great idea - I'm so sick of the school convoy clogging up the roads when I'm trying to get to college. It's Easter holidays this week and I've been making the trip in 50 minutes as opposed to the usual 80 minutes. Grr, children suck. Can't they just walk or get the bus? Never did me any harm. </grumpy old lady>

When I was in primary school, we used to call our teachers Múinteoir (teacher) <first name> if they were a woman, or Máistir (master) <first name> if they were a man. In secondary school it was all surnames, preceded by the Irish for Mr, Mrs or Miss, whichever was applicable. I think most English-speaking schools just go with Mr or Miss and don't make the Mrs/Miss distinction, but Irish titles are very literal so it's a bit different. The word for Miss means "daughter of", Mrs means "woman of", and Mr means "the noble", which is something I've never thought about before now, but OI! I've just realised! That sucks!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 04/13/2007 18:27:18
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  21:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, my local college starts classes at 8:00am. So if you commute and have an 8:00am class you have to be there at least 7:30am or earlier to get a parking space and walk to class. Most high schools around here start between 7:30-8:00am and let out around 2:30pm. Elementary schools usually run between 8:30-9:00 and let out around 3:30. And being a teacher, you have to be there at least a half hour before the kids. But then you have all the prep work. A study found that teachers work an average of 70-80 hours per week total and have the lowest pay for their output. Yeah, there is a summer vacation of around 8 weeks, but the pay is still crap.

I feel so old. I just went to the mall and everyone there was twelve. Ironically, I actually went with a twelve year old. I hate to say this, but small-town America has some ugly teenagers! The hair, the ratty clothes, abundance of badly applied make-up. Those hormones of the teenage years really mess up a kids mind.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  22:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your dad's poem made me laugh, Jo.
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  03:26:54  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cute poem, Jo, but I hope she didn't turn it in, or it might come true. LOL

My feet usually hurt when I taught school--which is the reason I wear comfortable ones now, no matter where I'm going. As my aunt used to say, "when my feet hurt, I get mean."

It's the same around here with names for teachers--only the pre-schools use Miss or Mr and a first name. I always had to laugh when I was teaching, because the kids were just delighted to find out our first names. One little boy tried calling me by my first name, and I told him I really didn't care, but the rule was he had to use my last name. He asked if he could call me by my first name when he wasn't in my class any longer, and I told him that when he was out of school he could--of course, I'd moved half way across the country by then.

And I remember running into my Kindergarten teacher when I was a student at university--she was doing her doctorate work. I still called her Miss [surname]--and I'm sure by then it would have been OK if I'd called her by her first name, but I just couldn't.

When we were down in Mississippi last year, I got really used to hearing people call older women Miss [first name], and I kind of like it. It's very sweet and respectful.

I've had enough tea for one evening, so I think I'll actually try to get a normal night's sleep so I won't be sleep deprived, which I usually am.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  11:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad times. The whole family have all just lost on our respective bets on the Grand National. And it turns out Mam knows the winning jockey! She didn't realise he was racing or we'd have definitely put money on him. Waa.

At least it's another glorious day! Hurrah!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  12:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, the kids don't know what to think of my name. My surname is he same as a boy's first name and a few boys in the school do have this name. So I get all the time "Why is your last name a first name?" It's simply, short, one syllable, but gets screwed up all the time. I never realized growing up it was weird, but evidently at this school it is. They do love to figure out your first name, though, and how old you are. I usually get the age one first. And I'm with you, Eeyore, in calling older teachers and ones I have by their first name. I had my dad's girlfriend's sister-in-law for 1st grade and I still have trouble not calling her by her maiden last name and never her first. Even subbing, I have no problem calling the teachers my age by their first name, but the older ones I find myself still calling them Mr. or Mrs.

I took the first step to catching up on my sleep. I went to bed last night around midnight, but slept until 11:30am. I just may even take a nap later today.

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/14/2007 12:17:49
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  13:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Myf, I've been watching Doctor Who as well. Loved the HP references! I'm really liking Martha so far, and the "Expelliarmus" bit made me like her even more.

I had to admit I was cringing a bit; I watched that episode with my aunt, who is a Potterhater, so I kinda hid myself in the pillows and kept my mouth shut. However, in compensation I forewent watching Heroes and instead sat through all two hours of Wild Geese, which my aunt loved and I kinda liked.

It's on tonight. With... Ardal O'Hanlon. As a cat.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 04/14/2007 13:08:01
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I feel so old. I just went to the mall and everyone there was twelve. Ironically, I actually went with a twelve year old. I hate to say this, but small-town America has some ugly teenagers! The hair, the ratty clothes, abundance of badly applied make-up. Those hormones of the teenage years really mess up a kids mind.

I can soooo relate to that. When I ate at Taco Bell the other day there was group of 13/14 year olds (3 boys 3 girls) and they were so annoying! They weren't doing anything bad, they were just loud and obnoxious (at least to me).

Tattoos: I will never get a tat on my tummy! I have a total of four...shoulder, ankle, small of back and left hip. I want to get more to go with the eye of Ra on the small of my back. The guy I just went to has an awesome scarab beetle that I might get. Or if I can find the right hieroglyphics, a cartouche with my name.

diri: you gave up Heroes!!!! Wow, I couldn't do that. The wait for the last five episodes is killing me!!!!! Where in the storyline is the show in Britain?

When I went to school, we were required to call all teachers by Mrs/Miss or Mr. with the surname. My 7th grade English teacher had a horrible last name so we were allowed to call him Mr. S instead of struggling to pronounce it. I don't know how it is now. In college, most instructors didn't care if you called them by their surname or their first name. I usually used the Mr or Mrs with the surname...is just felt weird to do it any other way. The only exception was my government teacher who was only 3 years older than me.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much for rain.
We were promised rain with all that wind Sunday and Monday. Now the oak tassels are all over the place and the pollen is swirling as thick as ever. Spring here is difficult. If you blink you miss it. So while the weather is comfortable I want to garden. I watered my plants yesterday. Took me a half hour, tops. Last night I could not breathe. Husband had to sleep with my impression of Darth Vader-- again. I am so ready for this to be finished up. (that's not crying, it's sneezing )

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't antihistamines work? Mine only work half (because I also take them because of skin trouble, and I have a feeling I need a double dose in spring), but nose sprays and eye drops do help a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot, could you get Romika shoes, Jo? Their Tampico range is insanely comfy.

http://www.zappos.com/n/br/b/137.html

How about these? http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/11721418/c/68621.html

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  11:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antihistamines do dry me out, but they also stop me up and give me sinus infections (as well as nose bleeds) so I don't use them. The last time I took benadryl *shudders* my head solidified. Clairitin isn't much better except that I don't feel groggy all day. I try to drink extra water so that the works keep draining. Saline spray helps too as long as I can inhale.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Zirtek (cetirizine), it's the only thing that works, really. Other ones either don't work or make things worse. I do know what you mean by drying out, though, my eyes are really dry. But it's either that, or being one big red swollen itch all the time. Come to think of it, Benadryl gives me nose bleeds too (and it hurts like heck when I spray it up my nose, so I gave up on that one).

The best thing for me is Zirtek combined with eye drops every now and then.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  15:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are my favorite work shoes - pricey but they last and I wear them almost every day:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/989849/c/10443.html

There's a reason their average customer rating is 5 stars out of 5!

I take allegra for seasonal allergies but I think saline spray is great too - it really helps to keep your nose from drying out. There's a saline with Cromlyn - Nasalcrom - which is wonderfully effective. especially if you can manage to use it twice a day for two weeks! I'm not that good about using medications religiously so I had to give up on using it.

Edited by - AMC on 04/17/2007 15:34:06
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  16:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seibels are nice too! The shop where I used to buy my Romikas (they stopped stocking them) said that Seibels are a good alternative.

I got some saline solution for my eyes, because the antihistamines dry them out so much. It burned horribly and my eyes went really red. Looks like I'm allergic to it, which isn't really possible, is it?

Edited by - Starling on 04/17/2007 17:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out this weekend that you can buy Clarks shoes in the States. My aunt is in love with them and told me some stores that sell them. I also saw then over the weekend on sale on QVC.

Today was such a nice change of pace teaching. I had 5th grade and a student teacher was in there. So I didn't have to do much of anything. I never thought I'd like the older kids, but I enjoy the higher grades so much more.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

I got some saline solution for my eyes, because the antihistamines dry them out so much. It burned horribly and my eyes went really red. Looks like I'm allergic to it, which isn't really possible, is it?

Oh yes it is! All types of solutions contain chemical preservatives and some people are horribly allergic to the standard chemicals used. Try things labelled for "sensitive eyes".

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Clarks at Macy's and Elder Beerman, and I bought a pair at Total Comfort a few weeks ago. Mine are cute strappy wedges; you'd never guess how comforatble they are by looking at them. Thumbs up to Clarks.
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  06:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my Zyrtec! I take it nearly everyday. I don't have allergies, but structural problems with my nose and it keeps me from getting stuffed up. I've been taking it for just over two years and I've had one really bad sinus infection. I used to get them at least 3-4 times a year. My doctor also gave me Nasonex, but I don't like using it too much because it keeps me up. The only side effects I get from the Zyrtec is my eyes tend to get dry and I feel a little lethargic.

For my eyes (when they get extra dry) I use a product called Gen-Teal. It comes in both drops and a gel and it's fantastic! It doesn't contain any preservatives and is made for sensitive eyes. It can be pricey, so I only use it on a limited basis.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  00:11:53  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't take any of that stuff either--they all give me nosebleeds. I can stand the allergies--mine aren't that bad, but when I get a cold I just have to wait it out--bleah.

I'm quite pleased that I managed to get through January, February and March without my usual bout with bronchitis. Since Terry has been sick, I've been trying to be even more careful. So far so good. His surgery is this Friday, and then he'll be off work till the first part of June. I'm so glad he's been paying for short term disability insurance for years--at least he doesn't have to use all his sick leave and vacation time.

Those shoes, Starling--the first ones, are like some that I wear all the time, only mine are Dr. Scholl's and the other pair is Bass--and they weren't that expensive. I hate it when I actually have to wear real shoes that make my feet hurt. My favorite sandals are from REI--I have several pairs of Tevas, different styles, and one pair of Keens, which I really like. But they were pricey. However, I got them to wear to Disneyland and they were great--I could get them wet and they didn't give me blisters on the bottoms of my feet like every other pair of shoes did for the last two times we went there. So I may try a pair of their sneakers.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 04/19/2007 00:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  00:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have a pair of Bass shoes that I got in Middle School and they're still in good shape. My usual footwear when I'm not working are my pull-on Nikes. I was tired of hearing "Tie your shoes" over and over again all my life from everyone. So I just gave up wearing shoes with strings. My last two pair are Nike kids. Youth sizes follow men's sizes and I wear about a size 4 and they're slightly wider than womens. Plus, they're $10 cheaper for pratically the same shoe.

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/19/2007 00:28:58
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  01:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am SOOOOO tired. We met with a psychologist yesterday and got a diagnosis of dyslexia for my youngest daughter. The diagnosis was expected, I've thought it was likely for quite some time, but it's still been tough trying to figure out our best approach for addressing it. It's like you need to become an expert overnight because no one is truly impartial in their evaluation of "your" best options and there's a lot at stake. On the plus side, she's a bright, willing student and it's been caught early so the prognosis is pretty good. On the negative side, we may be wearing wooden barrels by the time we're through. And did I mention? I'm tired...Zzzzzzzzz.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  06:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear that, AMC, I know dyslexia in girls (when it occurs) is often much worse than it can be in boys. My (female) cousin has it, severely so, and she chose to go to a furniture making college. She graduated with flying colours, makes the most exquisite stuff, and helps us do DIY on the summer house (very important, heehee). She's got a great career going.

One of my ex friends is a teacher, she's dyslexic too. For her, it just means she reads books in a different way, and more slowly. She was just taught a different technique.

As for tiredness, I'm with you. Ruth flew to South Africa last night and I spent all night worrying about it. My endometriosis didn't help either. Baaaaaaaad night. I think I'll go for the sledgehammer method tonight.

Hope you manage to get a nap in today, AMC!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  15:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you'll be a fantastic advocate for your daughter, AMC. Psychologists, teachers, administrators, and schools can all be very helpful in their way, but they come and go. You will be the one constant in her life and you know her best. We've been through the gamut with our son (he has a high level of special needs), and the best advice I can give is to be informed, but trust your gut about people, methods, etc. You, not them, are the director of your daughter's education; all those other people work for you. And don't be afraid to ask for what she needs. In our experience the schools may not volunteer all the services that they can provide, usually because of the cost involved. Press them and follow through with reports from your own private doctor or psychologist, if necessary. Of couse, you probably already knew all that .

I'll send Slushy over with some strong coffee for you, as soon as she gets done babbling about Prom.

Edited by - n/a on 04/19/2007 19:12:35
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  22:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pixie - yes, I know it but it's really good to have someone reinforce that message. The school is wonderful but.. it's a private school so they don't really have to do much, lol. I think I know what we're going to do, I just need to find the right people - and, trusting that old gut, this psychologist is NOT the right person to be our contact point! She was very defensive when I questioned her on the tests done and the options we had for treatment (she had recommended one of her own people as an educational therapist) and that kind of confirmed my intuition that she wasn't going to be part of the solution! So I really appreciate the support, it's very timely.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.