Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  00:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird, Jo! Not that snow in April is completely unheard of but... after a warm winter, that's bizarre!

I'm baaack! Had a lovely time in Hawaii, spent lots of time in the water and didn't get burnt so all of my goals were met!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  00:24:45  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We had two glorious days of sunshine and warm weather. Officially, I think it was 78 yesterday, but it felt much warmer. I felt like a mole trying to hide from that strange bright light.

Today--ahhhh--it's cooler and rainy. THIS is what April is supposed to be like. Besides, I knew we couldn't have an Easter that was warm.

Just an update on my hubby. He had another PET scan and colonoscopy last week, then we met with the surgeon on Thursday. The radiation and chemo did what they were supposed to do, and now what remains is the section of the colon that was radiated, but the tumor is smaller/possibly killed, and the spots they saw on his liver are gone. So he'll have surgery on April 20, then he'll be off work till the beginning of June, and then start on chemotherapy to make sure all the cancer cells are killed. So while he still has a lot ahead of him, that was good news so far. Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers.

And on that note (we just finished our second choir concert, and have three Easter services tomorrow)--

HAPPY EASTER!

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 04/08/2007 00:25:59
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Eeyore, that's wonderful news! I'll keep praying for you and Terry so hopefully all the news will be good.

Welcome back, AMC! Hawaii sounds heavenly. Here in Ohio for the past three days we've had lots of ...

SNOW. This morning the ground is blanketed in white and the flakes are flying through the air. My weather widget tells me that it's 25 degrees F outside. (It was over 50 degrees and green at Christmastime.) Yay, rah! At least it will be an Easter to remember.

I've been fighting what's probably a sinus infection for the past two weeks, so I didn't make it to mass last night and probably not this morning either ... I'll most likely stay back with our son wile my husband and daughter go to church. I thought I was feeling better yesterday, but then after my daughter and I got back from Prom dress shopping and errands, I was completely whipped and sick again. *sigh*

Anyway, from snowy Ohio ... Happy Easter, everyone!

Edited by - n/a on 04/08/2007 09:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  15:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoooray! That's great news Eeyore!

Well, it's cold here, but not snowing. We'll have our standard pollen yellow Easter-- only much cooler. Usually I'm in the early stages of overheating at this point in the year. I still feel a little light headed (probably all the sneezing and sniffling and blowing my nose) but at least I'm not sweating. Going to the in-laws for a cook out in an hour. Hopefully we won't be attempting to sit outside. I'll be sneezing uncontrollably if we are.

Happy Easter!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  06:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news Eeyore! Hope the rest of Terry's treatment goes well.

I've had a very quiet, relaxing Easter. It's been lovely. And the weather's been amazing (N.B. My idea of amazing weather may not be the same as yours: over here 16C = tropical). It seems almost sinful to be inside, even though there's actually no sun today, but more importantly, there's NO RAIN, and there hasn't been in at least a week. It's an Easter miracle!

I should be working, but I think I'll go for a walk instead while I still can.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
16C... * 9 divide by 5 add 32... 60F. Yes, you're right Bee - that's NOT our idea of tropical!

Sounds promising Eeyore! I'm hoping things continue well for Terry. Chemo sucks, I know but I know he'll have lots of emotional and spiritual support to help him get through it.

Sigh. Back to work after 10 days off.. reality bites.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, what does one do when your ex tells you he's taken a "recreational psychoactive pill" four hours before he's supposed to pick up your son?

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a separate note: glad to hear there's good news, Eeyore!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

So, what does one do when your ex tells you he's taken a "recreational psychoactive pill" four hours before he's supposed to pick up your son?

Hmm - my immediate reaction would be "call the cops" but I suppose that would be considered a mite unfriendly. Call a friend to pick up child and threaten said ex with the cops?

Edited by - AMC on 04/09/2007 12:01:31
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to pick my son up in the end. Ex arrived, I checked him out, and allowed him to take my son.

Still, the guy lives an insane lifestyle. He goes to bed insanely late (he's obsessed with ballroom dancing), gets up insanely early, and has to take pills to stay awake. If he moved to Manchester (which is where his work is), he would be able to have a normal life. But he doesn't like "change". He looks after my son half the time, and I don't like it at all. The only reason I let him is that my son enjoys being with him (more than with me, probably because I don't take happy pills *snort*). He'll never listen to me. I think I'll try and talk to his parents when I see them on Weds. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  14:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of recreational psychoactive drugs is he taking? I don't personally have anything against being on meds but experimenting with new meds for the heck of it when you have a child under your care is something I would worry about.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  14:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not meds, drugs. He takes the drugs that soldiers take to stay awake for days. He should not take drugs on the days he's got my son. I'm just glad that he has a bunch of friends who are saner than he is, and who are around quite a lot.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - he probably takes what I take - Provigil or Modafinil. I love the stuff - I don't take it often but when caffeine isn't working it's the best. But I don't take it to avoid sleeping, I take it so I can get through my day and still sleep at night! It's really not what i would consider a recreational drug - there's no buzz and no "fun" to it. And I am happy to say, it doesn't impair your judgement - quite the opposite - so at least he won't do anything risky because of it. Now he might do something risky simply because he's sleep-deprived, I don't know...

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  17:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is taking the "recreational psychoactive drug" in addition to the sleep-deprivation drug, I don't know which drug it is. He is using the sleep-deprivation drug instead of sleep, which is plain dangerous, and then he takes the recreational psychoactive drug on top of it during the day.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an unhealthy situation, to say the least. I know plenty of divorced couples that have no other choice but to put up with a situation that is less than satisfactory. Caring for a child when he can't care for himself properly is a bit dangerous.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just keep wondering who on earth would like Ballroom dancing more than SLEEP??? I love sleep, every night when I get in bed it's like... Ahhh, finally.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  21:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear everything is going well with Terry's surgery, Eeyore.

Starling, talking to your ex's parents might be a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  00:21:51  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone.

Starling, what would happen if you said no? Would it jolt him into realizing that what he is doing is not good for your son? I mean, it's one thing for your ex to take drugs, but when he's around your son, he's setting a horrible example. It's saying to your son that it's an acceptable thing to do. Will said ex's parents be able to do anything about him? I hope so. Good that you still have the means to communicate with them.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  01:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I had a cat called Cuddles too! Obviously a sign of superior taste.

Well, I can't take the credit for the name. I got Cuddles when she was two years old, so she was already named.

I am so in pain! It's self inflicted though....I got new ink today (tattoo). Me and a couple of friends went together. I got the little Precious kitty from the Looney Tunes cartoons on my right ankle. It's partly covering an old tattoo that I no longer wanted. I think I kept tensing too much and that's why I hurt now (I totally forgot how much tattoos hurt). It's soooooo cute though! And it'll look even better after all the blood goes away.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  05:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister in law has a little blue birdy tattoo on her ankle, she said hers hurt like heck too. I'd love to have a cute little tattoo, but my skin is allergic to virtually everything (including my clothes), so there's no way I'm going to risk it.

If I'd said no, Eeyore, he would have gone and talked to my son, to explain how evil his mummy is. He tends to gossip about me in front of the child (which gets straight back to me, of course).

As for saying to my son it's the acceptable thing to do, he's just astounding ... We were talking about my son's concentration problems (which, funnily enough, seem to get an awful lot better when he's been with me for a while), and daddy told me "I'd say Ritalin would be a bad option, but I take drugs myself, so that'd be a bit hypocritical".

Say WHAT?!!!

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  06:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear god, Starling - I'd be livid. Definitely speaking to his folks would be a good idea, especially if they're more sane than he is with regard to safe behaviour around a kidlet. Maybe they could talk to him?

What does he say if you ask about whether he thinks it's brilliant to be on drugs with a child? Heh, he should move to Victoria - they now have random saliva tests on the road for recreational drug use. You can be caught just driving.

Also, hope everyone had a terrific easter.

AMC, you take modafinil? Is that for narcolepsy or a sleeping disorder? A friend of mine did his thesis on modafinil and its effects on cognition and driving. Apparently, he found that while it might stave off the cognitive effects of sleep deprivation, it makes people make worse decisions while driving when sleep-deprived. They also report their judgment to be AOK when it isn't, when measured objectively. Interesting research!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  11:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - well, I'm never truly sleep deprived so I'm not worried. My problem is I'm a naturally sleepy person asked to live a very wide-awake person's life - between work, my kids and my other responsibilities I'm going all the time. To survive, I'm a caffeine addict - I have been for 25 years, if I didn't drink coffee, I'd sleep through life! But sometimes it's gets to a vicious cycle - I drink coffee to stay awake, then I sleep badly because I've had too much caffeine so I'm tired the next day. So when I realize this has happened I take about a half-dose of Modafinil and stop drinking caffeine. I take it essentially to get my sleep patterns back on track. It's great stuff, I probably only take it about once every 2 months but it makes a huge difference, I never get exhausted from sleep loss now.

I'm curious as to how sleep deprived your friend's subjects were? Because the U.S. originally gave it to their military pilots when they flew 24 hour bombing missions - when you're in charge of a billion-dollar plane, your decision-making quality is critical and their research indicated was there was no loss of ability, even after 24 hours of being awake.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My problem is I'm a naturally sleepy person asked to live a very wide-awake person's life

Me too! Except I don't have any responsibilities beyond keeping myself rattling on, and I still have trouble keeping up. I feel so tired all the time. I actually cried on the way home yesterday I was so tired, which probably affects one's ability to drive a car more than that drug you're on about. I wish I could get past my dislike of coffee - I need something to keep me going and tea doesn't work. Why does coffee have to taste horrible? I feel like I'm missing out.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  17:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear - I'm sorry Bee, I feel for you. I have always adored the taste of coffee and I really don't know how I would have survived without it. I give up some indulgence every year for Lent - the year I gave up coffee is one my kids still remember. I snarled at everyone for the whole 7 weeks I was SO tired and out of sorts!!!

The world is odd - it doesn't have enough different kinds of niches for all the different kinds of people it contains. I'm not an ambitious soul and yet I have ended up with so much on my "plate"! I would be perfectly happy doing about 1/3 of what I do... but no one wants a 15 hour a week employee and it would be tough to find someone willing to maintain the other 2/3 of my house, garden and children.

LOL - no, eyes filled with tears is definitely not the safest way to drive! I'm sorry you're so tired and I totally can relate!

Edited by - AMC on 04/12/2007 17:03:25
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  17:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ambitious... and lazy! It's a rubbish combination.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  18:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AMC, from memory he tested people at about 4-5am - so if they'd been up since 7am the previous day you're looking at about 21-22 hours without sleep. He also gave them placebos on a separate day to compare the effects. (And no, he didn't let people drive home!) I'll ask him about whether it's getting published - should be, it sounds like good research.

Coffee does nothing for me, alertness-wise. I can drink an espresso and sleep like a baby. It's sort of annoying - like Bee, I wouldn't mind having a drink that would definitely keep me going when I falter.

Hey, did anyone watch the latest Doctor Who? Massive HP shoutout. I haven't read through all the pages I missed in this thread - I'M TOO LAZY - so if someone else hasn't explained it, let me know and I will. It was funny, though.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  19:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, you sound so like me it's scary, even the procrastination and laziness.

Coffee. I really feel left out because everyone drinks it. I'm the girl who goes to Starbucks to get a Coca-cola. My sister doesn't drink it either. Her coffee pot sits in the back of her cupboard and gets used twice a year at holidays. I like the smell, but don't really enjoy the taste. My parents used to go through it like crazy, yet their daughters never touch the stuff. Caffeine usually has no effect on me anyway. I've never felt a rush or energy spurt of any kind from it.

Sleep. I'm always sleepy. I usually need at least nine hours of sleep to feel great and I've been running on five hours or less this week. Right now, I'm really ready for a nap, especially after being in a Kindergarten classroom that declared anarchy this afternoon. I had them all week and they were fine. They did their work and behaved relatively well, but today after lunch three five year olds decided to stage a coup. Mean Kellie had to come out and even that didn't make them shape up. One of the three involved in the revolt responded to me after I told him he was going to see the principal by saying "You can't, he's not here today." Which was true. Another little girl kept cussing very loudly. The third had decided to run around the room. The rest of the class, who were well behaved, just sat there and watched the three like they were insane. Their regular teacher was there and lectured them, but they still didn't shape up. I guess they're bad for her, too, which doesn't make me feel bad. I have a different Kindergarten class tomorrow, but I return to this room next week for a day.

Tattoos. I have nothing against tattoos and my parents never forbid it when we were younger, but what's always held me back was first the pain. I'm not big on voluntary pain. And second, and biggest reason against me getting one, is the thought of what the tattoo would look like when I was 80 years old. I know someone who was talking to their friend's young daughter who wanted a small tattoo on her abdomen and we all kept joking about what it would look like after she had two kids and a few pounds on her. Not like it did when she was 18.

I have no energy to do anything. I'm useless tonight. I still have to get a bath and iron clothes for tomorrow and I have no idea how I'm going to work up the energy to do it and it's only 7:30pm.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/12/2007 19:34:58
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  01:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jo, what do the kids call you at school? Is it Kellie, or Miss Kellie, or Miss [Surname]? I ask because I just found out my niece calls her 'teachers' at playgroup "Miss [Firstname]", which I find cute. Apparently it's the same whether the teacher is single or married - something easy and respectful for very little kids to call them.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  05:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*types energetically on her latest Harry Potter project, without procrastinating*

I'm not lazy at all, I'm brilliant, I am.

And my forums and email that usually distract me aren't down at all, honest

*beatific smile*

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  07:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Miss [Surname]. Usually only preschools say the first name in my experience. I'd prefer it to be Miss Kellie. A high school teacher I was talking to said that her old school had teachers called by their first names and it was great. All married and unmarried women were Miss [First Name] like you said and men were Mr. [First Name].

I do think, though, that Elementary teachers should be allowed to wear sneakers...something the districts usually don't allow unless it's a dress-down day. My feet hurt.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.