Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  00:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching Keira Knightley do an interview for the new Pirates movie and until then never realized how much she resembles Mariska Hargitay.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/04/2006 00:54:56
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  06:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What she resembles is Skeletor. Did you see how fugly she looked? http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/07/fugrates_of_the.html#more Just look at that second picture! Urk.

That said, I will go and see that film, because hey, Johnny Depp and Bill Nighy. Hoorah for real actors.

My jaw aches. I hate the dentist.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  07:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh God. I thought I was the only one who found her hideously thin. I'm not a fan of the British Ice Maiden look either.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  11:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, Skeletor. Her interviews make her even less attractive. These is just something about her personality (aside from the Skeletor thing) that I don't care for. You can't tell me she's that naturally thin. Kate Bosworth is just as thin. Would men be afraid of breaking these thin women while, er, reading?

I would just never wish to be that thin. Even Beyonce, who I thought was about the perfect weight just lost over 20lbs for her new movie Dreamgirls, on top of losing 10 for the Pink Panther.

Sometimes you just want to yell at these actresses to eat a cheeseburger. You don't see the majority of male actors starving themselves into skinniness.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  11:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Keira Knightly. I agree she's too thin but I think she's beautiful. I've never seen an interview with her - isn't she very young?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  11:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez, she's barely 21 now. She was 18 in the first Pirates (and Love, Actually), 16 when Bend it Like Beckham was shot and she's been acting in films since she was pre-pubescent. Of course she's rail thin - it's been drilled into her, poor thing.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  12:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt a bit nauseous and faint when I looked at that picture. I have this... thing... about bones. You know how some people get freaked out by feet? Or the sight of blood? I'm a bit like that with bones. I have some friends who are naturally very thin, and that's fine - it's that unnatural, skeletal stage that makes me feel all weak and queasy. I had to stop watching the OC because one time I was sure I saw Mischa Barton's shoulder bone through her skin (also, it's not a very good programme so not watching it was no great tragedy). If this trend towards frightening skinniness continues, I'll have to stop watching television and films altogether. *dramatic sigh*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 07/05/2006 12:37:43
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  12:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, Bee, I remember your Mischa Barton phobia from before. That's quite funny.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  15:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Hehe, Bee, I remember your Mischa Barton phobia from before. That's quite funny.

Heh, I'd forgotten I'd mentioned it before. It still haunts me...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 07/05/2006 15:59:11
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  16:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching a documentary about castrati. Talk about phobias...

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  17:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a very funny page of posts.

I agree that she looks unhealthy - even if she's a naturally thin person, and maybe she works hard etc - surely she needs a dietician or something to make sure she doesn't turn into Skeletor.

And darling, if you do look like that - don't wear that dress. Please.

I kind of feel sorry for her now. She looks like a Chupa-Chup.

Edited by - Myf on 07/05/2006 17:48:34
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  19:43:28  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am a KK fan, but a few extra kilos would not go astray.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  20:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again! I've returned from the internet free Blue Ridge Mountains. Had a wonderful weekend. I'll come back later and tell you about it, but at the moment I'm too tired.
Glad to see Diri found us, and a few others by the member count.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  21:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blue Ridge Mountains are so beautiful! I hope you had good weather for your trip. Welcome back!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  22:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Siobhan!

What's castrati?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  22:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the best roads you can drive. It's slow driving but the Appalachians are so beautiful.

How do you pronounce Appalachian? Southerners say Ap-puh-LATCH-un, while Northerners claim it's Ap-puh-LAY-shun. I say it the second way. People down south like to correct you and tell you that you say it wrong, even though I live in the central Appalachians and that's how we pronounce it.

I guess I can't say anything about pronunciations, Pittsburghers like to correct everyone who says Carnegie wrong. Andrew Carnegie, who lived here, pronounced his own name Car-NAY-gee so that's how we say his name, the town that's named after him, and every other thing that bears his name. We can tell outsiders by hearing if they went to "CAR-nuh-gee Mellon University" or "Car-NAY-gee Mellon University". Seems NPR has decided to agree with the locals and is now urging listeners to change their pronunciations. I don't think it's working well.

Bee, do you use the word "redd"--meaning to clean or make tidy? As used in the sentence "I need to redd up the living room." It's used chiefly in Western PA, and parts of Scotland and Ireland (came to the area from Scots-Irish immigrants). Anybody outside the area looks at you weirdly if you use it. Just curious.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/05/2006 23:02:14
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  23:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

What's castrati?

Ummm - men who have had their manhood impinged upon in the most material sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

Not a career that recommends itself to many these days.

Hi Siobhan! Welcome back!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  23:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Ap-puh-LAY-shun and CAR-nuh-gee, so I guess that makes me a Northerner.. even though I live about 34 degrees N of the equator, which doesn't seem very Northern!

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  04:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

I agree that she looks unhealthy - even if she's a naturally thin person, and maybe she works hard etc - surely she needs a dietician or something to make sure she doesn't turn into Skeletor.

Even at my thinnest in high school, I didn't look like that. And I would never want to be that thin again. I rather like my curvy look (as does my husband).

quote:
I guess I can't say anything about pronunciations, Pittsburghers like to correct everyone who says Carnegie wrong.

Yes, that is one thing I distinctly remember from living there. It took a little getting use to.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  04:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

What's castrati?

Ummm - men who have had their manhood impinged upon in the most material sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

Not a career that recommends itself to many these days.

Hi Siobhan! Welcome back!

Welcome back Siobhan! And thank you again for creating such a nice refuge.

It was an interesting show. They tried to use a computer program to accurately recreate the castrato voice. To be honest it didn't sound all that great; I don't know what all the fuss was about with everyone saying that their voices were like those of angels etc. It actually sounded rather syrupy and overwrought to me. They also showed some of the implements used in the operation. Ouch.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  05:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Bee, do you use the word "redd"--meaning to clean or make tidy? As used in the sentence "I need to redd up the living room." It's used chiefly in Western PA, and parts of Scotland and Ireland (came to the area from Scots-Irish immigrants). Anybody outside the area looks at you weirdly if you use it. Just curious.

Nope, never heard of it. Maybe it's a Northern Irish thing? I know people from nearly all regions of the Republic, and I've never heard it used.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  07:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! No one told me Ken Lay was dead! I couldn't do the funky chicken! Still, shame he couldn't spend the rest of his life married to a half-gorilla named Bub.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  08:00:58  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I say Ap-puh-LAY-shun and CAR-nuh-gee, so I guess that makes me a Northerner.. even though I live about 34 degrees N of the equator, which doesn't seem very Northern!

AMC, that just makes you a westerner. I've always figured that any of us who live on the West Coast are just different than the rest of the country anyway--north or south, it doesn't matter.

Now I'm not sure how I say, Carnegie. I'll have to pay attention the next time I say it. But I do say Ap-puh-LAY-shun.

Oh, and I like Kiera, but that dress is not at all attractive on her. It does make her look way too thin. She is thin, but some people are and they don't try to be. My mom was always 98 pounds (she was 5' 3") except after my dad died and she lost weight and couldn't gain it back. She ate huge meals, had a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce in the evening, and even added one of those food supplement drinks to her diet, trying to put in more calories. She did look too thin, and she knew it, but she wasn't trying to be--and really came to resent some of the rude remarks people made to her about her size--"Oh, my dear, have you been ill? What does your doctor say?"

She finally lost her temper one day, when a very good friend said that to her and she said, (which was true), "My doctor said that he rather see more women look like me instead of all the ones who need to lose weight." and looked said friend up and down. They didn't have that conversation again, but did remain friends. I think Mom always felt guilty for picking that particular friend to vent on about the weight thing, though.

I was thin for a long time--till I was pregnant with Laura, but now I can't seem to lose the extra 20 that I'd like to be rid of. And that would still put me 20 pounds over what I used to be. I didn't ever try to be that thin, I just was. (I'm 5'5" and was 103# when I got out of high school, and 112# when I got married 6 years later. Until Laura, I was never over 116# except when I was pregnant with Sarah. And it wasn't something I worked at. Now I have to work to keep from just gaining more and more every year. But I think it has more to do with my current lack of exercise, compared with a lot of exercise when I was younger. Ballet really was good for me, but I'm not sure my joints can take it anymore.

So, anyway, KK might just be thin at this point in her life, and she might be a lot plumper as she gets older, or maybe not. My mom was in her 70s and finally had started putting on some weight. But KK did need to wear a different dress--that was hideous.

Of course, I also call the river that runs through Kansas the Ar-KAN-sas, even though the rest of the states call it the AR-kun-saw, like the state. But hey--most of it is our state name, so of course we'd say it that way.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 07/06/2006 08:17:48
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Hey! No one told me Ken Lay was dead! I couldn't do the funky chicken! Still, shame he couldn't spend the rest of his life married to a half-gorilla named Bub.

Hee!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Diri! I was wondering why you did a Kim Jong Il salute and not one to the death of Ken Lay - it couldn't happen to a nicer guy - but it never occurred to me you didn't know! I don't generally find someone's death something to celebrate but I made an exception in his case.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read the funniest quote in The Independent (Do you get that in America? I know you get the Guardian- this one makes the Guardian look like Fox News):

"Ken Lay found perhaps the only surefire way of escaping the long arm of US law: keel over and die. That is unless the Bush Administration has managed to sign an extradition treaty with the Devil, which cannot be altogether discounted."

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

Oh, and I like Kiera, but that dress is not at all attractive on her. It does make her look way too thin. She is thin, but some people are and they don't try to be. My mom was always 98 pounds (she was 5' 3") except after my dad died and she lost weight and couldn't gain it back. She ate huge meals, had a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce in the evening, and even added one of those food supplement drinks to her diet, trying to put in more calories. She did look too thin, and she knew it, but she wasn't trying to be--and really came to resent some of the rude remarks people made to her about her size--"Oh, my dear, have you been ill? What does your doctor say?"

Mm, I know what you mean. I have a good friend who has that problem and she definitely resents those kinds of comments. Who wouldn't?

KK still scares me though. I'd read about the premiere before I saw any pictures, and felt quite sorry for the roasting she was getting from the media over her weight. I've always seen her as someone who's naturally thin. But then I saw the picture, and I reckon she looks like she's lost weight recently. Maybe she didn't mean to, but if she did diet deliberately? Bad move. As was wearing that dress. Baaaad move.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 07/06/2006 11:41:07
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  12:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was dancing I would have been overjoyed to look like KK, but since I love food too much I just couldn't have done it. I did become skinny enough (for a "normal" person) as it was.

I heard last night that Ken Lay's family will still be held responsible for paying the multi-million dollar fine that was levied against him for the Enron fraud. Hmph. It's not like the people he stole it from will see a penny back.

Apa LAY shun is how I pronounce it, but I also say Car NAY gee. How about creek-- do you say creek or crik?

The mountains were beautiful. We had sunny (mid to upper 80's) weather everyday. It rained on the fourth, but we had expected that. It had been hazy all day. The rain didn't last long-- just a couple of showers during the afternoon and evening. By 11, though, it was raining hard. I slept so well that night.
Saturday we did some shopping in Black Mountain and went up to Montreat to a park on a creek there. Sunday we drove up to see Linville Caverns. It's a cool (literally) place. I just wish the tour didn't focus so much on cute names for the rock formations. We went into Biltmore Village and Asheville on Monday. Tuesday was spent just driving around the area. There is no such thing as a straight road where we were (near hwy 64 to Bat Cave and 9 to Black Mountain). It is quite a challenge to drive sometimes, but the area is so beautiful-- reminds me a lot of driving up to Mt. Rainier and out to Morton, WA.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  14:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We say creek as "crick". One of my favorite local words is nebby, it's similar to nosey. (Mrs. Dursley is nebby). It can be used as just nebby or nebnose or nebs**t.

My cousin is on a trip across the US in a motorhome. This motorhome is bigger than my house, I swear it. It is almost 50ft long and expands outward when stopped. It has a washer/dryer, full bathroom (You can turn around in it) with a shower, a dishwasher and full kitchen with pantry, and sleeps between 6-8 people. It had to cost her at least $200,000 for this motorhome. They're from Southern Cal and traveling across country. They're vacation is about 3 months long. Wouldn't that be a great trip!

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  18:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

When I was dancing I would have been overjoyed to look like KK

Really? I'd be horrified if I looked like that. I'm very sorry if she's a very thin person and resents all the comments, but if so many people in the world can look at someone who is NORMAL and think 'Hmph. A bit fat' then I am allowed to look at Keira and say (not something insulting) but 'Darling, do you have a nutritionist? Just want to make sure you're healthy.'

I went to prison yesterday. I got locked in with a prisoner. True story.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.