Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  23:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a beautiful day. Everything was covered with about 6 inches of heavy wet snow, but the roads were bare and the sky was a bright blue with white puffy clouds. It looked like a fairytale land. Something that should be on a postcard. This is probably our last snow of the season. We'll get snow flurries into April, but nothing that sticks. It was just a beautiful snowfall.

I have a sore throat today, but the Zicam seems to be working. Hopefully I caught this bug before it gets full blown. Being sick sucks.

This week I have to go get candy supplies for Easter. I'm not making much, but I want to try my hand at my mom's chocolate covered cherries. The only problem is I don't know how much bourbon she put in them. Hopefully, my sister will have an idea. I hate cherries so I'm not making them for myself, but everyone else loves them. I love the chocolate covered caramels and nougat eggs.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  02:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh - are you making chocolate covered caramels, Jo - or just the cherries? I'm impressed you make Easter candy - we just buy ours.

Sorry, Diri - why are you unexpectedly out of school?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  03:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On account of me getting my masters, and now being unsure what to do with it.

It's a foggy morning here in London, though there have been a succession of lovely days for the last week or so, so I'm not complaining.

It's UK Mother's Day today (or as Brits rather poncily call it, "Mothering Sunday") so someone remind me by about 4PM GMT to call my mother in California when she wakes up. Please?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/18/2007 03:55:45
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try and remember, diri, but I can't guarantee anything! Best of luck with the job hunt as well.

I ended up staying at home yesterday because one of my friends was sick and the girl I was meant to be staying with was looking after her. I ended up having a nice time at home anyway. I skipped the parade because the weather was miserable and I couldn't be bothered leaving the fire just to watch some bedraggled majorettes and the brass band. Instead, I successfully completely the giant Sudoku in the saturday Independent for only the second time in my life (I'm easily pleased). I also ended up getting really sucked into the rugby, even though I haven't much of an idea of the rules. It was really tense: there were three matches one after the other - Ireland v Italy, France v Scotland and England v Wales - and either Ireland and France were in with a good shout of taking the Six Nations title, with England having an outside chance, so they had to have dummy trophies in three different countries for the presentation. It all came down to score difference in the end. Ireland beat Italy comprehensively, so the onus was on France to beat Scotland by a margin of 24 or something like that. Scotland really stood up to them though, and it looked as though we might take the title, but then in the last play of the game, France scored what may or may not have been a try that would have put them ahead of Ireland on scores. They had to consult the video man (an Irishman, ironically enough) as it wasn't clear whether they'd crossed the line, but a try was declared and they won the championship by a whisker. Sob. Okay, I've just spent way too long blathering on about a sport that probably no one's interesting in.

I went out last night with some friends and it was good craic except for the happy-handed drunks who seemed to think it was perfectly alright to grope me as they stumbled by. Ugh. Think I'm heading out again tonight, so hopefully there'll be a nicer crowd out, though given that it's the bank holiday weekend, chance would be a fine thing. Paddy's weekend is always a bit of a letdown.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brrr, hard wind and sleet out there. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere. Forecast: northerly wind, cold, and sunny. I think the seasons are confused.

Next time, "accidentally" stomp on the groper's toe, Bee!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

Next time, "accidentally" stomp on the groper's toe, Bee!

Trust me, I did. There was also some "accidental" elbowing of bellies. I'm so clumsy.

More sports news! Very out of character of me to be much into sports, but something very strange has happened. Apparently, we have a national cricket team which somehow made it to the World Cup and somehow drew with Zimbabwe and somehow beat Pakistan, despite a) being amateurs, and b) their best player leaving the squad to play for England a few months ago. Cricket has never been remotely popular over here, but now everyone's suddenly banging on about wickets and whathaveyou. So go Ireland! Except for it seems there's complete uproar in Pakistan over us knocking them out, complete with effigy-burning and death threats against the squad (I'm hoping the last part was just a news reporter getting carried away with the drama). So that's slightly ruining our buzz, but no matter. I must find out what exactly this cricket business entails. I have to say it looks kinda boring.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 03/18/2007 12:33:52
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Oooh - are you making chocolate covered caramels, Jo - or just the cherries? I'm impressed you make Easter candy - we just buy ours.

Yeah, we make our own. My mom always did so I have a huge box of molds in the basement. I'll make some caramels, peanut butter cups, cherries, and maybe some filled. Depends on the fillings the candy store has. My mom used to make her own fillings, but I only make the peanut butter because that's easy. I'll have to make the cherries, too. I buy everything else.

Everyone gets a kick of of the "Dolly Parton" lollipops. It's a mold of a girl with a huge chest. My parents had an interesting sense of humor.

We got another unexpected snowfall through the night. Just a few inches, but enough to make me go back to sleep when the alarm went off for church. Plus I still have a sore throat so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and went back to sleep.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  13:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DIRI, CALL YOUR MOTHER!!!!

(Sorry I'm late with the reminder)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missed her; left a message. Still, better that I missed her than woke her up too early on a Sunday, I suppose.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  15:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we're still awake for a bit Diri, you might find her later on - although you did leave a message, which these days counts as having made contact.

Funny about all the sports talk, Bee - I don't understand cricket or rugby but Jo and I blather on about American football so you're most welcome to try to educate us, even thought it sounds like you don't really understand them either!

I had the same issue with soccer - Argentina lost the World Cup and the team had to go into hiding. I mean.. it's only a game, people. I understand taking it seriously but not to the point of commiting murder.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  19:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't cricket similar to baseball? Major League Baseball begins April 2nd. My sister is the baseball fanatic. She yells at the screen and coaches them from home. My brother-in-law won't watch the game in the same room as her because she gets so involved. The only way I can describe our major league team is the baseball equivalent of the Chudley Cannons. They find new and interesting ways to lose every game. Sad thing is that 90% of their loses are only by one point. And it's not like we have bad players because most of them eventually go off and are successful for other teams. I've heard the Pirates described as the best farm team in the MLB. Still you have to watch.

Right now, the big thing is NCAA basketball and hockey. Pittsburgh is not a basketball town unless it's college basketball. We've had several semi-pro teams and they all fail because nobody is interested. May be because the college games draw such a big crowd. I hate basketball, but my dad watches Pitt and they've made it to the Sweet 16. Hockey, on the other hand, I can watch. It's fast-pace, grown men beat each other up, and we have a shot at the playoffs.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  23:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Isn't cricket similar to baseball?

Cricket is similar to NOTHING.

Congrats on your win, Bee! People were definitely interested in it down here.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  23:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your description of Hockey, Jo! I feel the same way - I'd watch hockey over basketball and I live in an MAJOR basketball town. L.A. is not a town that's devoted to sport in general but if any team has fans, it's the Lakers. I couldn't care less.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  07:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is sad... the Pakistan cricket coach has died of a suspected heart attack. I kind of wish we'd lost now. At least he'd have gone out with a victory. This is why I'd be a rubbish sportsperson.

Everyone's clamouring for cricket jerseys now. Only problem is that there are none... no one was expecting any demand. We're a nation of bandwagon jumpers.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 03/19/2007 07:45:14
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  10:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw. The Pakistani national cricket team have not had a good time of it recently. They last made the news in the UK for refusing to complete a game due to a ref's dishonoring their bowler.

On the plus side, Eurovision's coming up. Any interest in Ireland this year? The Irish contender seems like a poor man's Enya, if there is such a thing.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  10:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the Eurovision. I said in an earlier post that we love to win stuff, and once upon a time we RULED the Eurovision (which believe it or not is a good thing, as we never win anything else). But alas, times have changed and nobody's interested in seeing lovely girls in lovely flowing dresses singing lovely ballads and playing the fiddle anymore. Now it's all girls in bikinis doing elaborate dance routines with whips to doof-doof music with a lot of burly men in hotpants gallivanting around in the background. Sad times. So this year we're sending a rubbish traditional group fronted by a girl who I'm sure is lovely but can't sing very well (but does a good line in lovely flowing dresses) singing a rubbish ballad about some uprising in Czechoslovakia or somewhere. We're screwed.

How about the UK? I heard there was a mix up with the votes and Terry called out the wrong name and there was lots of drama. Haven't heard the winning entry yet - I'm just glad it's not that pillock from the Darkness.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  12:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry was trying to save us. Everyone believes that. He saw what the winning vote was, refused to accept it, and named the least of all the evils. Instead, the mob spoke, and we got the worst. The absolute worst. I mean last year was pretty bad, with the guy singing about how much he liked little schoolgirls, but this one... one commentator described it as "a plea to the rest of Europe to bomb Britain to smithereens," which is a flattering description. One thing's for sure; ours will be the only entrant with an overt reference to gay oral sex.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  12:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Eurovision sounds like so much fun. I wish it was televised here. It sounds like an Olympic version of a "battle of the bands" contest.

AMC, do you follow hockey, too? Nobody expects our Pens to make it far into the playoffs. We have three teenagers on the team and they're doing great. They're supposedly too young to compete at the playoff level so we're expected to lose in the first round. Everyone is saying that if they can keep the line together then we'll have another dynasty on our hands in a few years. It's been about 15 years since we've had the Lord Stanley's Cup back in the Burgh. That's why the expected move to KC was extremely painful. Go through almost a decade and a half of last place only to finally get a team with potential and have it ripped away and transplanted in Missouri.

The snow is melting. We're not expected to get any more accumulation the rest of Winter, the two days that are left of it, or Spring. Warm temperatures are coming.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  19:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No - I'm too damned busy to follow anything. I hope and pray each Fall that I'll have the time to watch one football game per week and most weeks I manage to see about 1/2 a game, max. I always laugh at the phrase "get a life" - I really want less of a life and more time to sit in front of the television.

After all these years of the Europeans describing Eurovision, I am DYING to see it. I can't beleive no one on this side of the Atlantic hasn't thought of broadcasting it to the masses. I mean - we get tons of American schlock and Latin American schlock, why not some European schlock?

Edited by - AMC on 03/19/2007 19:17:53
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  19:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised someone hasn't adapted it to the U.S. market with the states competing. Of course, if that happened, then Texas or California would always win and small states like Rhode Island wouldn't stand a chance.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  03:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah. Not if they used the same voting system as Eurovision does. First of all, every country, regardless of population, has the same number of votes. So Andorra, population 70 thousand, has the same vote as Germany, population 80 million. In American terms, this would be like Wyoming having the same number of votes as California. Secondly, every country is allowed to vote for 12 countries at once; each getting between 1 and 12 points, so it's not so much the number of winning votes as the cumulative effect of all the votes that matters. Thirdly (and this is where it REALLY gets unfair) countries that are near each other tend to give each other points. So the Baltic states tend to give each other points, Scandinavians tend to give each other points, former Soviet states tend to give each other points etc.

What this ultimately boils down to is that population means nothing; what matters is the number of countries allied to you in the voting. This generally means that Eastern Europeans tend to win Eurovision these days, because Eastern Europe has a lot of tiny countries, whereas Western Europe has a few big ones. So in actual fact, in a US version of Eurovision, states like California are less likely to win than states like Rhode Island, which are surrounded by lots of tiny states that are culturally allied to it. Texas is more likely to win, as it could easily get the Southern vote. No Southerner worth his salt would ever vote for a Yankee after all.

If you want to get a taste of Eurovision, the Finns have very kindly set up a MediaCentre, where you can not only listen to every song in its entirety, but see the video too!

http://www.eurovision.tv/content/view/161/142/

Unfortunately, the program can't get the UK's entrant to play, but have no fear; it's been posted online:

http://www.hecklerspray.com/scooch-somehow-goes-to-eurovision/20067493.php

If you scroll down, you can also hear one of the true gems from last year; "We Are The Winners" by the Lithuanian entrants, LT United.

And just for completeness's sake, here is a clip of last years landslide winners, Lordi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBGffYpE9I&mode=related&search=

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  06:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't the English entry vile? Nil points, here we come.

Loved Lordi, cos they were silly.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be absolutely disgusted with any country that gives us points. And that includes you Ireland! I demand that we come bottom of the table. If necessary I will travel to Cyprus, repeatedly knock the heads of all nostalgic British expats and shout, "LEARN. TO. HAVE. SOME. SELF. RESPECT!"

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/20/2007 09:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  11:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ack! Someone's had my idea! http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-02-10-nbc-talent-contest_x.htm. Evidently NBC owns the U.S. rights but everything I've found was from 2005 and early 2006, but nothing has come about. Maybe it will be a few more years before we get it. We'll screw it up somehow. I can't see them allowing each state to have one vote. They'll probably do the finals as the most votes. But, like Diri said, I can't see southern states like Mississippi or Alabama vote for a Yankee. Some parts of the South still think the Civil War is going on.

I didn't know Celine Dion got her start on Eurovision. Or that it's been going on for 50 years. The only thing running that long is the US are soap operas like "Guiding Light" which started on radio and is still going.

I have a slow internet connection so I'll try to catch some of those later, or go up my sisters to watch them. Why can't they just televise Eurovision in the US?

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/20/2007 11:53:46
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. The Guiding Light's been going since 1937! I really hope they have all the old episodes. It would be fascinating to do a study of how the series changed to reflect shifts in audiences' values.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  14:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Nah. Not if they used the same voting system as Eurovision does. First of all, every country, regardless of population, has the same number of votes.

Oh we use the same completely inequitable system here for voting on absurd performances - only we call it the Senate.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  04:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL, AMC.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  19:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mid-Spring!! Ah how lovely! The flowers are blooming, the pollen is wafting, and I am sneezing. Oh, well, it's still pretty out. We're supposed to get into the 80's over the weekend.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  21:05:43  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Mid-Spring!! Ah how lovely! The flowers are blooming, the pollen is wafting, and I am sneezing. Oh, well, it's still pretty out. We're supposed to get into the 80's over the weekend.

I know. It's hard to believe! I'm eager to see if the dogwoods can hold out until Easter to bloom.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  21:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, our flowers haven't even begun to bloom yet! Heck, up until yesterday we still had snow on the ground. Even the daffodils are only in bud. Spring arrived sometime yesterday, but today is the first official day. It was beautiful and in the 60s. Now the yardwork begins before the vegetation starts grow. I was out today with the clippers cutting back briars.

I got my candy supplies today. I've been snacking on the little chocolate wafers tonight every time I walk past. Must stop that.

I remember my gram talking about listening to Guilding Light on the radio. It was a 15 minute program then moved to television. Then it moved into 30 minutes and then an hour. My mom was a faithful watcher, as us kids, up until the early 90s. Then we all quit watching all soaps.

*Watching American Idol results show* This sesason is horrible.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/21/2007 21:19:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.