Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  19:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling
I'm so looking forward to the food in Maine, I loooove seafood.

Don't you live on an island country? What about seafood there?

quote:
We have six boxes in the pantry. (!!!!)

Lol, Pesky. I actually don't have any Kraft Mac and Cheese in the pantry, which is really odd. Usually it's loaded up with the stuff from Sam's Club.

Is anyone else having trouble with this early daylight savings time change? I just got used to setting the clocks back and now we have to move them forward again.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem we're having with it is all the hype on the news. "It's Y2K for real!" All one has to do is go in and manually set the clock. It is not that complex a proposition. Heck, for me it wouldn't matter if the clock was off by an hour for another month anyways. But then I don't live through my computer, either (though appearances may lead many to believe otherwise).

Daughter loathes Kraft Mac and Cheese. However, she does like the Publix (a store) brand of the same nasty stuff.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  22:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - my kids like the Trader Joes version: organic white cheddar and shells.

Actually, Siobhan the real problem isn't with PCs but with networked systems. I actually had some jobs abend Saturday night, I'm assuming my development server was just the last to get the updates. Time (and daylight savings in general) is a huge issue in some of the environments I work in. I have XP on my home computer which does an auto-sync for time so I've just set it one time zone ahead for the next 3 weeks.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 03/11/2007 22:28:12
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  02:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
With all this eating I'll be doing, it'll be a wonder if I get around to visiting anywhere

Which pretty much sums up the way of life for a lot of Americans.

quote:
Oh, and please don't watch Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, or any of those small claims court shows. I don't want to even think about what people think of Americans from watching these shows.

And what would America think of England if they knew that we were the source of Dancing With the Stars, Wife Swap, The Weakest Link and I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here? Jerry Springer is actually British too. He was born not a mile from where I live, in fact.

quote:

Unless it's deep fried, the British knowledge of seafood is surprisingly minimal. Only the coastal areas have seafood traditions. Ireland though, I think has more of a seafood culture.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/12/2007 02:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  04:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good question! People only seem to eat cod around here. Oh, and jellied eel (ewwww).

There are nice Morecamb shrimps, but they're really expensive. And then there's the largest nuclear power station in Europe just around the corner, which tends to have little "accidents" that end up in the sea water.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  06:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

quote:

[quote]Oh, and please don't watch Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, or any of those small claims court shows. I don't want to even think about what people think of Americans from watching these shows.

And what would America think of England if they knew that we were the source of Dancing With the Stars, Wife Swap, The Weakest Link and I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here?

Heh, I actually loooove Dancing with the Stars (or Strictly Come Dancing, as it's known in these parts).

And I've seen Jerry Springer! They used to show it as part of TV3's daytime lineup (along with Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones(?) and other exciting shows where people scream a lot and take paternity tests). I can't watch any of those programmes for more than five minutes without wanting to throw up, but I don't hold them against America.

I don't think I'm going to have a television, so I'm safe from bad American telly.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  10:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame, though, that you'll miss the Food Network. It's actually one of the best channels on ... no kidding.

quote:
Jerry Springer is actually British too. He was born not a mile from where I live, in fact.

And he lived in Ohio for a long time too -- he was mayor of Cincinnati for a time. So I guess we all share the shame.

Speaking of cooking, my project this weekend has been to re-season a couple of very old cast iron skillets to make them usable again. They belonged to my husband's grandmother and are both over 100 years old. The best I can tell by the casting marks on the bottom, one of them even dates to pre-1875.

Anyway, seasoning involves coating the scoured pan with oil and putting in a very hot oven until it turns black. I gave them a couple of coats yesterday, and am working on a couple more today. So right now, my house is filled with smoke. It's working, though. I cooked an egg in one of them this morning and it didn't stick at all and tasted delicious. The problem is that the pans look hideous. The black is really uneven and unappetizing -- I would never want company to see it. I hope a couple more times through the oven will help. If not, I just won't use them in front of company.

Edited by - n/a on 03/12/2007 10:43:38
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I love the new board background! So cozy! The already-clicked links (if you know what I mean) are a little hard to read though, but apart from that it's lovely. All hail Siobhan and Mad-Eye!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie
Speaking of cooking, my project this weekend has been to re-season a couple of very old cast iron skillets to make them usable again. They belonged to my husband's grandmother and are both over 100 years old. The best I can tell by the casting marks on the bottom, one of them even dates to pre-1875.

My mom's mother gave my dad her mother's cast iron griddle/crepe pan. I have no idea why she gave it to my father, but she specifically stated it was for him when she sent it to our house. It's got this nice shiny black surface and is the best skillet in the world. It was originally my great grandmother's skillet so that dates it back to the late 1800s. I get it next because my dad said my sister would never appreciate it. When it's not in use it hangs on the wall above the stove.

I love Food Network. My favorite is Paula Dean, although I don't care for her new show as well as her old one. I've made a few of her things. Her gooey butter cake is delicious and one day I made the beer biscuits because I was sick of see a lonely can of beer in the fridge and nobody would drink it. They were great with honey on them.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Ooh, I love the new board background! So cozy! The already-clicked links (if you know what I mean) are a little hard to read though, but apart from that it's lovely.
Sorry about that. Mad-Eye made the changes early this morning before taking me to the dr. I didn't have a chance to change anything till just now. I think you'll find the new colours a little easier to read against the light background.

Loved the knitted texture even though St. Patrick's day is not featured in HP. Think of it as an homage to Molly Weasley, Seamus Finnigan, and the Irish National Quidditch team.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I didn't twig that it was for St. Patrick's Day. I just thought, it's Spring, wear woolies!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring here is a bit warm for woolies. Winter here is a bit warm for woolies a good portion of the time. It's March, I was tired of the red velvet, and I do love the way the knit looks with your pics from home.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  13:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*wears a fleece*

I inherited a casserole pot from my grandmother. It's cast iron, with white enamel on the inside and light-yellow enamel on the outside, painted with flowers in a darker yellow. It sticks, which is a pain, but it's fine for casseroles you put in the oven.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  18:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had a touch of spring here ... the last two days the tempreature has topped 70F! Now that we're spoiled it will drop into the thirties for the weekend. Oh well, that's the nature of March, I guess.

This weekend we're going shopping in Columbus. Not until Sunday, though ... we'll miss the big St. Patrick's day party in Dublin (the suburb of Columbus where we usually stay). I was wondering why the hotels there were booked until I realized what weekend it was. The people there won't care if it's in the thirties; something tells me that quite a few of them won't even know.

Edited by - n/a on 03/14/2007 18:50:37
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  23:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hallo again. I've missed out on 5 pages of chat. You talk so much!

What is the deal with the title Strictly Come Dancing? It's the stupidest title for anything I've heard for a long time.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  06:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's probably based on "Strictly Ballroom".

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  06:40:56  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But it doesn't make any kind of sense. Strictly Ballroom does, especially in the context of the film. Strictly Come Dancing? Just weird.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  17:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there used to be a programme on the BBC called Come Dancing, and when they started up this new one they stuck "Strictly" in front of it, just to be... ridiculous? I don't know. It's a stupid title alright.

quote:
we'll miss the big St. Patrick's day party in Dublin (the suburb of Columbus where we usually stay)

Dublin? Heh.

The long weekend is nearly here! Hooray! I'll be spending St. Patrick's Day in my very favourite Irish city (so, definitely not Dublin) meeting up with old friends. Can't wait! I feel a bit bad though because unless my brother resurfaces (he's been on a week-long bender for his college's RAG week), we're abandoning Mam for Mother's Day. Though who knows, maybe she'll think that's the best gift ever?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  20:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is Mother's Day, Bee? In the U.S. it's not until May, I think.

St. Paddy's Day is Saturday, isn't it. I always think of those Shamrock Shakes the McDonalds sells. I haven't seen them this year, but then I don't eat McDonalds except once every few months. Isn't it weird that on St. Patrick's Day it seems like everyone in the U.S. claims to be Irish. More people are German, though, in America than anything else. Everyone in my neck of the woods says their "Heinz 57", a take off on the 57 varieties of products the Heinz Corporation has, although they had more than that when the slogan was created, because we're all mixed ancestry. Not many purebloods here.

Oh, the Pens are staying in Pittsburgh! The impossible has happened. Even up until the last minute Kansas City believed they got it. I guess they had Pens stuff all over the city. All the sports writers, all the fan, and the media had it as a done deal that they were moving to KC. Evidently the last minute talks involved the mayor, county cheif executive, the governor, and the NHL commissioner, along with the owners. I'm shocked, and everyone else in PA is shocked that they're staying. Great news. Especially when we have a hot team that is only going to get better. Amazing that they decided to stay in the city. They have to wait until the 2009-2010 season for a new arena to open, and be built, but they're staying.

Flooding going on and snow expected tomorrow. Yesterday it was 70 degrees and tomorrow we're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow. It's spring in PA.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/15/2007 22:04:49
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine that more people are of Germanic backgrounds in the whole US than any other background Jo - are you sure of that? I don't think I even know many people who have any German ancestry but I know a lot of English, French, Irish and of course in this area, Asian, Middle Eastern and Latin American. The West wasn't a huge destination for Germans, I think it depends on the wave of immigration and when an area was "settled" which ethnicity prevailed. The Irish and the Chinese laborers built the Railroads so San Francisco ended up with large populations of both.

Edited by - AMC on 03/15/2007 23:38:42
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  23:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, my dear old grandfather's parents emigrated from County Wicklow and my grandmother's family came from Limerick, so I've got all the excuse I need to drink Guinness all weekend.

Of course, my grandmother's family also were British Royalists who fled to Canada (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Cour) after the Revolution and married French people and my Dad's family were a mix of British, Dutch and god knows what else which makes me... American. So I guess I'll be drinking Sierra Nevada as well.

Edited by - AMC on 03/15/2007 23:45:14
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  00:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One branch of my family came from County Donegal in 1816. My dad's family came before or during the Revolution, we're not sure exactly when but know it's before 1784, from Ireland. We have no idea where at in Ireland they were from, but I think it was County Derry. I think the other Irish branches may have also came from Northern Ireland. I won't be drinking Guinness, though. I despise the stuff.

AMC, this is according to the 2000 Census: http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/census_2000/001870.html. In Pennsylvania, there's a pretty good chance you have some German in you. My mom's side was part German, but my dad doesn't have any. I think the foods and customs in my family are more German influenced than Irish, what we mostly are, because of the region we live in.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/16/2007 00:26:39
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  02:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting! I would never have guessed.

Well stout is an acquired taste that some never acquire but I don't think it's an ethnic thing - my Middle Eastern spouse loves it. We've corrupted each other over the years - he got me drinking Arak, I got him drinking beer.

In college I had a lovely black t-shirt with the Guinness label on it. It was a great drinking shirt. My friends were impressed - not because of the beer but because I was willing to wear a t-shirt proclaiming me "Extra Stout". Vanity was never one of my flaws - drunkenness, yes - vanity, no.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  04:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PA is as German as German can get. Just ask the Amish.

I know next to nothing about my Irish family (I'm one eighth Irish, via Montreal); my grandmother disowned her Irish father and took her mother's surname. I asked my aunt if there was any chance of tracing their genealogy, but she said that no member of that family was together enough to be any help.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/16/2007 04:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  06:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Well stout is an acquired taste that some never acquire but I don't think it's an ethnic thing - my Middle Eastern spouse loves it. We've corrupted each other over the years - he got me drinking Arak, I got him drinking beer.

Well I love Arak and hate beer, so it's definitely not an ethnic thing.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  14:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spose I'll just go ahead and post again - I'm bored!

Forgot to say to Jo - yep, Mothering Sunday is this Sunday over here. It's unfortunate timing, but I don't feel too bad about being away now because my brother has resurfaced. He ran out of beer money so he's come home to be fed.

I feel like I've had a very productive day, even though I really haven't. I had no lectures, so I made myself a list of things to do. I've barely touched the academic stuff, but I did clean out the office, which was a big enough job as it was in an awful state. Whenever I compare procrastination stories with people, they're always telling me they feel compelled to clean their houses from top to bottom whenever there's work to be done. I've never felt any such urge, because as far as I'm concerned, housework is WAY worse than any other kind of work. I'd sooner procrastinate from housework by writing an essay or something. But sitting here in the shiny clean office, I'm kind of coming around to the idea of cleaning-as-procrastination. Even though I've hardly done a tap of the stuff that really needs to be done before I go off on the tear tomorrow, I don't feel a bit guilty, because at least I've done something. It's so much better than just spending the day watching soaps and reading gossip blogs. Though speaking of, I think I'm going to go watch Hollyoaks now.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  16:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A clean office is a lovesome thing, god wot.

I hate paper - it is my enemy. If I let paper stay in my office it starts to grows the minute my back is turned... it feeds on air and creates little paper-babies until it forms a massive Paper Monster, ready to leap upon me and consume my every waking hour! So I throw paper out as quickly as I can to avoid future contact with the Paper Monster. But it still manages to creep into my office on a regular basis, damn its eyes.

I had a job interview this morning - I'm so pleased. I'd say "I'm chuffed", because I love that expression but I always feels silly using "foreign" phrases online. Anyway, I feel good about it. It's working for the local Community College district, doing to job I do now for the studios. Although public education's not the sexiest of industries it would be nice to support an organization I actually care about. I've been working in entertainment for the last several years and it's really not an interesting industry for me - I don't see movies or watch TV so it's all just kind of noise.

Edited by - AMC on 03/16/2007 16:11:58
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  00:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck, AMC. What do you actually do?

We got a snowstorm today. Probably about 6 inches fell. I only thought we were getting an inch. I ran to the store this late this afternoon and and the roads were bad. Officials in Pittsburgh are saying that everything will be clear for the parade tomorrow. In the early 90s we got a blizzard that dropped about 3 feet of snow during the parade. This year won't be a repeat.

I feel like I'm getting a cold. I've been downing Zicam like candy today trying to get rid of it. One little girl threw up three times yesterday in class. I was subbing for Kindergarten. It was almost time to go home and they couldn't get a hold of her mom to pick her up. Yesterday was the type of day that makes me wish I get a permanent job teaching Middle School or High School. Sure they talk back and have attitudes, but they don't throw up and wipe their noses on you in class.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  01:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rather deal with adolescents than preschoolers. I cope with attitude better than chaos.

Hmmm - I'm a software consultant.... but when I say that people start taking about problems they have with their PCs and that's not my area of software expertise! I work with a huge computer system that is used by many large companies in the US and Europe and also some local governmental organizations. My specialty is Financial systems - I've been working with this package for nigh on 14 years now so I'm pretty a senior-level consultant.

My friend in Boston said they were settling in for a big storm too. It's clear and 80 degress here, sigh.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  02:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what to do. I've suddenly found myself out of school and in the job market, and I haven't a clue how to do, well, anything. I've been idly flipping through the online job vacancies, but really there's not much I can say with confidence that I even know the first thing about. Oh well.

Just found a funny Stephen Fry sketch for Myf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZuH2BU0FE

and, because I have nothing better to do at 6:30 on a saturday morning, here is a shot of pure Stephen Fry, distilled through multiple layers of finely crushed pumice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvtZciPYFfE

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/17/2007 02:54:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.