Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love travelling, Martje and I'm always looking ahead to the next trip. We're going to Hawaii on Easter break and then to MA/CT for a family reunion in June. I really wanted to include Maine in that trip but the timing didn't work out. But do tell - where in Maine are you staying? I like to travel vicariously.

We're hoping to rent a gite in France some time next summer with other family members - we'll use it as a home base for other travels. But of course, since we're in the country, we'll have to spend some time in Paris and everyone knows the best and cheapest flights to Paris go through London so while we're there... sigh. I could spend the whole summer travelling (in my dreams) but as Siobhan says - money + time are the limiting factors.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're going to Ballinskelligs in county Kerry for a week this year. It's our Finian holiday (he's not coming to Maine with us). Funnily enough, it's near St Finian's bay.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're all over Maine! Excluding Arostook, we're not that fond of potatoes

Starting in Toronto and Niagara to meet up with some Harry Potter people, then to southern Maine (inland, then to Portland and travelling up the coast), seacat to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbour, and flying back from there.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Ireland is a great place to visit with children - they're allowed in the pubs! My kids lived on pub toasted cheese sandwiches and my younger developed a fondness for seafood chower, which was generally excellent everywhere. The cheese sandwiches varied - some places they were superb, others mediocre.

I don't understand countries where children aren't allowed into pubs. It's sick and wrong, people!

I love planning holidays. Sadly, they're mostly imaginary. Top of my fantasy list is South Asia, Australia and New Zealand. I'm not going to get to go on holidays again for a few years yet, but at least I've got New York. It sounds brilliantly mad. I love cities.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Diri's photo inspired me - this is an interesting statue of a former governor? of Victoria, La Trobe.

I'm quite spoilt for holidays this year. This weekend I'm getting out of town, plus I'll have time off over Easter which I'll spend up at the beach house. Then, of course, I have a trip to Copenhagen at some undetermined point. I might need a side diversion to France for that one.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  18:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

Am I the only person who plans holidays and then starts planning the next one before I've even been on the first one? Talking about itching to get out of town. We're going to Maine this year.

Ooh, I'm jealous. I've always wanted to go up to Maine. I've been all along the Eastern US from PA down to Florida, but never north.

Bee, we have a few beer gardens, or pubs, around here that families go to. If you serve a certain amount of food then kids are allowed in. We used to go to this one when I was little that served the best Italian food. There is another nearby that is haunted.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  20:51:51  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I made a discovery last night after looking at all the cool pics. There are no interesting pictures on line of my town. Of course, there is Seattle, but that's not where I live. So I will have to find some of my own and figure out how to post them here, I guess. Maybe later in the week.

There were actually lots of pictures, but they were all close ups of people or of rhododendrons, from the gardens nearby. Pretty, but it doesn't tell you much about the area. And then there were a whole bunch of water treatment plants--wow, that was exciting, and so lovely to look at.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  00:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, everyone is posting local art and sculptures. This is on the building in my local town at the University. The sculpture is much more impressive than the pictures shows, which isn't the best quality, but the only one I could find. It's called "Ascent of Humanity" and shows stages of life throughout the evolution of man.

They erected the statue my freshman year. When they put the first figure up, the caveman, the whole campus gawked for two days. Seems the artist had a bit of a sense of humor. The vine was always planned to be a part of the sculpture, but for two or three days the caveman was on display without his vine and sporting an impressive, well I think you know. It was quickly covered up.

Okay, here is another picture of my home. This is taken from the same spot as the other pic, only facing the other direction.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Jokelly77/river2.jpg

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/07/2007 00:18:25
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  03:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I don't understand countries where children aren't allowed into pubs. It's sick and wrong, people!

Given the sort of things that go on in the pubs round my way, I'm very thankful that kids aren't allowed in.

One thing about living in London, you're never short of bizarro sculptures.

Here's a recent temporary installation at the Tate Modern's Turbine Hall, meant to recall... giant sugar cubes. (You see, the founder of the Tate Galleries, Henry Tate, invented the sugar cube and... oh never mind).

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/07/2007 06:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  08:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha yes, Tate 'n' Lyle and all that jazz. Don't they have a monopoly nowadays? I don't think there are any other sugar manufacturers anymore.

I can't think of any art in Lancaster, unless you count the really ugly statue of Queen Victoria on Dalton square.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  08:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not exactly a statue, but in the neighboring town is the strangest gravestone I've ever seen.

The rich man who is buried there decided that the one thing in this world he would miss the most was his recliner. He arranged to have a magnificent monument to it erected on his grave. It's a steeple-shaped pergola at least twenty feet high, and in the hollow area in the center is a cement sculpture of his recliner. I kid you not, the man has a huge La-Z-Boy towering above his grave. You can see it from the highway. (I googled for pics but couldn't find any) Once in a while kids climb up and sit on it as a Haloween prank. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  10:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if I should post any images from the Saatchi Gallery? Probably get me banned. And Gunther von Hagens wants to set up shop in London too! It seems fitting that we're the only place on Earth that would touch him with a ten foot pole.

quote:
And then there were a whole bunch of water treatment plants--wow, that was exciting, and so lovely to look at.

Better a water treatment plant than a lake full of untreated water.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/07/2007 10:41:41
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  18:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
God, the Tate modern. Great space, crappy 'art'.

Another piece of public art in Melbourne which I really like is the sinking library. Here it is:

It's just outside the State Library, and it fits in so seamlessly with the bluestone footpath that it just sneaks up on you. It's called 'Architectural Fragment' and I love it.

Guess what? I was listening to the last chapters of HBP the other day and I actually had an HP theory! I really like this idea, but I'm sure it will never happen.

I think most people think that the RAB who nicked the locket!Horcrux is Regulus Black, Sirius' little brother who got Sorted into Slytherin, ended up a DE, had a change of mind, stole the Horcrux and was killed by Voldie or the DEs. But wouldn't it be neat if he was still alive, if the person who was killed was just a Polyjuiced someone else? Harry would still have a link with a decent Black, someone who might be able to help him in the mission to destroy the Horcruxes. What's more, he might learn to respect someone who was a Slytherin and a DE (and therefore a downright nasty person) but who changed his mind and is trustworthy. There might be implications for the way Snape and Harry interact, in any case.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  23:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's neat, Myf. Like something out of Planet of the Apes or the short story "By the Waters of Babylon".

I am so sick of the local news. I'm not watching it for the next few days. All that is on is about the Pittsburgh Penguins (pro hockey team). Tomorrow is a last ditch effort to keep the team in the city, but it's not going to happen. They have a deal with Kansas City that is more or less definite. Personally, I think it's a bad move, and not because I live in Pittsburgh. Sure they get a brand new state-of-the-art stadium right away and rent free, but Kansas City has tried and failed twice to maintain a pro-hockey team. Once in the 80s and then in the 90s. It's just not been successful. The Pens have 95% capacity ticket sales for home games and are something like third in the nation for their market in television viewership. They're making an announcement tomorrow night. If the Mario Lemieux gives the word that they're leaving, Pittsburgh fans should boycott the few games of the remaining season and through the playoffs. Why support an organization that no longer benefits the city. Pittsburghers take their sports seriously and just might do it.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/08/2007 00:00:54
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  00:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ongoing greed and stupidity of professional sports owner never ceases to amaze me - but then again, they got where they are today by virtue of that greed and stupidity, I suppose it works for them.

Myf, I remember someone else having an RAB is alive theory - something to do with the invisibility cloak being lent out by James. I can't remember anything else! But I'm sure someone else here does!

I think there has to be some kind of union between the Houses or Hogwarts has to fall forever. One or the other - either the division between the Houses brings about the school's demise or the division is rendered meaningless by their joining forces, presumably to fight off Voldemort. Perhaps Dumbledore's death can be the rallying point for Harry's leading them into forming a united front. Sort of Harry meets Mark Antony from Julius Caesar: Friends, Fellow Hogwartians, Wizards and Witches - lend me your Ears...

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  03:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AMC, you know that scene would end up with everyone having their ears magically removed and given to Harry.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  04:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bugger unity; here's how the speech should go:

RON. O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those gits in Slytherin
That do no work to-day!

HARRY. What's he that wishes so?
My friend Weasley? No, my best mate;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our Hogwarts loss; and if to live,
The fewer wizards, the greater share of arsekicks.
Dumbledore's will! I pray thee, wish not one wizard more.
By Merlin, I am not covetous for galleons,
Nor care I who doth consider me hot;
It yearns me not if girls my pants wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet blasting Voldemort,
I am the most offending bloke alive.
No, be not barmy, wish not a wizard from Slytherin.
Dumbledore's nose! I would not lose so great a rollicking
As one one of those plonkers would share from me
For the best hope I have of kicking backside!
Do not wish one more, rather proclaim it, Weasley,
That they which hath no bottle for this fight,
Let them depart; their brooms shall be polished,
And galleons for convoy put into their purses;
We would not die in such wizards' company
That fear their fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Halloween.
They that outlive this day, and come safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse them at the sight of pumpkins.
They that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast their neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Halloween.'
Then will they strip thier sleeve and show their scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Hallows Eve.'
Old wizards forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But they'll remember, with advantages,
What feats they did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in their mouths as household words-
Harry the King, Granger and Longbottom,
Lovegood and Macmillan, Finch-Fletchley and Smith-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good people teach their children;
And Hallowed Halloween shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we suite of siblings;
For they to-day that shed their blood with me
Shall be my siblings; be they ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle their condition;
And those in Wizard England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their wizardhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon All Hallows Eve.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/08/2007 15:26:53
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What play is that a parody of? That was pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Applauds* Henry V, JKRis - I wouldn't call it a parody so much as a tribute.

Nice job, Diri - most impressive.

Edited by - AMC on 03/08/2007 10:45:33
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  11:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may need to redraft it again; it will be tough get back the pentameter yet keep it gender-neutral.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  14:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You, diri! That made my day.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Diri, that's fantastic! To my shame, I've never read/seen Henry V, but you can tell immediately what power this speech must have. What day does it refer to in the original, if not Halloween?

Man, that was great. I'm going to read it again. And 'Smith', eh?

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made some revisions; it should flow better now.

And the day is St Crispian's Day. I'm not sure what the standard celebration is; maybe watching Back to the Future?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000417/

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/08/2007 15:17:11
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saint Crispin's day.

The long speech is Henry, and "Ron" is Westmoreland.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best part is, I didn't have to change "Harry the King".

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, diri! Though I'm sure it'd be even better if I was familiar with the play.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  11:30:26  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
diri, that was fabulous! But why do you want to make it gender neutral? Is that really necessary?

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  12:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this is the 21st century, and I can't have Harry standing up in front of the Hogwarts student body and using only male gender determiners, especially considering how much he owes to Luna and Hermione.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  14:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd agree - it'd be pretty stupid for Harry to stand up and say "well Men, let's get going!". Besides, Ginny would smack him one and it's hard to inspire an army while shaking off a bat-bogey curse.

The whole Harry/Henry thing has always really bothered me - Harry can be Henry or Harold - and the only Harold association I make is Harold Godwinson, King Harold who died via an enemy arrow in the eye. Given that Harry's eyesight has always been his only physical weakness... this creeps me out. So I'd rather see him as a Henry. Lots of long-lived Henrys out there.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a lot of messing around, I've finally got my dates for New York so I can get booking! I also got an information pack from the girls who were on placement there last summer, and it's gotten me all excited about going. Are any of you familiar with NY? Any recommendations on what I should do there? I'll have a car so I can go on roadtrips at weekends. The girls from last year have recommended the Niagara Falls, Boston and some Irish neighbourhood in Queens. They've also included an extensive list of bars so I won't go thirsty. I want more recommendations of stuff to do in the New York area though. I think I'm going to fly out with my mother a week before I start placement, so we'll probably spend most of that time with our cousins. We should get around a bit though. Mam really wants to go to Ellis Island, and we're also thinking about going further afield to Washington DC because neither of us have ever been there. Any other suggestions?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.