Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  15:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was too cloudy and snowing so the eclipse wasn't that great for viewing. I stayed inside and out of the cold.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  05:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, you guys talk a lot.

1. I didn't even know about the eclipse! But I suppose I wouldn't have been able to see anything anyway. Yay to Bee for seeing it, though - I've never witnessed one, but I'd love to.

2. Soon I'll be able to do a lot more stargazing, because I've got a boat! Amazing. My parents found this one.

They offered a low sum for it, and it was accepted. So now we're going to split the cost between me, my parents, my sister and my brother, and then we'll all be able to use it. It's located about 3 hours from me. I can't wait until the new motor's in and we've repainted and got it sorted out.

3. I love my own space too, but it's more a question of being on my own in it. I like solo time. At the moment it's fine as I have my own room at my sister's, and I haven't moved a lot of my furniture (my old housemate is looking after it) so no being surrounded by boxes. I do love to be able to put things away, though. We never had enough storage in my parents' place - it was pretty big once they extended it, but hardly any cupboards. Annoying!

4. I should hope I'd be OK with living with someone, as I'll be doing it within months! The Boy's parents gave me this weird grilling about how clean and tidy I was, and how was I going to cope with living with him (he's a bit of a slob). I didn't tell them that I had it all worked out - I'll do as much cleaning as makes me comfortable, and if he doesn't want to help, no problems - he can pay for a cleaner. I can tell you right now what his choice will be.

5. Eeyore, great news about Terry! Please keep us posted. I'm so glad he's managing to go to work - makes such a difference.

6. Engaged at 16? NO NO NO.

7. I didn't eat any doughtnuts today, but I did have a TimTam. Actually, make that two.

8. Ever since I've worked out how to put episodes of QI on my mum's video iPod, she's been addicted. Hoorah.

9. This is entirely the cutest thing on the whole internet. Every time I look at it I start giggling involuntarily.

10. The End.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  06:37:48  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Missed the eclipse. But I think it was cloudy here anyway.

I was fixing dinner about 8 pm--later than usual, and the power went off just as I was ready to put the meat stuff into the dough and put it in the oven. No storm, no apparent reason for the outage.

So Sarah and Chris showed up about that time (the reason we were eating later), and Sarah took the hamburger pinwheels, the veggies and the gravy mix to her house and cooked it. It's so handy having a daughter who only lives about a mile away. She brought it back, and we ate by lantern light. The power came back on about 9:30 pm. Still don't know why it went off. Weird, as people across the street and behind us had power, but house several blocks away didn't.

And I must say, it was very easy to locate all my flashlights and the lantern and the batteries--after the December storm when everyone lost power, I've just kept all those things handy. Thankfully, it wasn't really very cold outside, so the house didn't get cold at all--plus, the oven had been on, so the kitchen was extra warm.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  08:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who missed it, this is what a total lunar eclipse looks like:

Good on you with the boat Myf; now don't you all start arguing about who has the rights to use it on which days, now will you?

Hamburger pinwheels? I tell ya, this thread is expanding my linguistic horizons.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/05/2007 08:09:17
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  10:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, you do know that a boat is also known as a big hole in the water? Congrats, anyways. There are times it would be nice to have a boat of our own, but we'd never make enough use of it to make it worth all the money for upkeep.

Hamburger pinwheels... oh the visions!
Very happy to hear Terry is doing so well.

Missed the eclipse. It was too cloudy to see it and a bit too light out still. Though we did get a quick peek at the moon all yellowy, it wasn't the orangey tone of the photo.

Forgot to say: These make me laugh! Imagine 81 pictures of yawning bunnies!
http://talkingegg.com/humor/bunnyyawns.html
http://scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_terror/2006/07/bunny_yawn.html

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  10:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yawning bunnies! Hurrah!

The eclipse I saw looked nothing like that picture. It reminded me of a solitaire diamond ring: a very thin, barely visible white ring around a dark circle with a beam of light at the top that kept getting progressively smaller as the black circle moved higher. I've described that really badly, but trust me, it was really cool. Not that the picture isn't cool also.

I'm googling it at the moment looking for pictures, and they all show a red moon! Mine wasn't red! Must've been looking at a different moon...

ETA: Phew. I am neither crazy nor living on a different planet. This is what the lunar eclipse looked like, Irish-stylee: http://www.headphoneland.com/archives/4900_1590874706/215019

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 03/05/2007 10:37:54
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  14:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a boat! I really do, but it's quite a bit different than Myf's. It's a small powder blue outboard motor/row boat. It resides in my yard. You have to have a licence for the operation of any watercraft, even rowboats, so nobody uses it. My dad used to use it for fishing, but now it sits atop the springhouse. He jokingly gave it to me for graduation. There is a popular saying, "There are two best day of owning a boat: the day you buy it and the day you sell it." My aunt and uncle used to have one similar to Myf's but they sold it because of the upkeep.

I'm hungry for a good gooey cinnamon roll. Doesn't that sound good?

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yawning bunnies? I do not think they exist.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Myf! Sounds like great fun. Now that everybody else has already spoiled sport by saying what an expense a boat is, I can describe my favorite boat oriented cartoon: it shows a guy dressed in nautical gear, carrying a bucket out of his house. He gets in his car, drives to the marina, gets out, tosses the contents of the bucket over his boat, gets back in his car and leaves. And the bucket was filled with money. One way to just get it over with, I suppose.

I have never lived close enough to the sea to want a boat but I love them - I love water. My husband and I contemplated moving to Southern Virginia at one point and one of the selling points was we could have afforded a really nice house on one of the many ocean-connected rivers. But... that was about it and we didn't go!

Why couldn't you tell the boy's parents about your plan for managing the cleaning up, Myf? It sounds pretty sensible to me. Are they difficult to be honest with?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're lucky where I live. It's inland, but the four rivers, some big creeks and tributaries you can boat on, and some lakes in the mountains provide more than enough water for boating. Then Lake Erie is only a few hours away.

Ooh, I googled and found a picture of home! Not specifically home, but the region. The river was quite dirty the day it was taken. The town in the middle takes at least 30 minutes to get to from the other side of the river because there are no nearby bridges. So close, yet so far. I added some details, so nobody come stalk me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Jokelly77/river-1.jpg

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/05/2007 16:11:58
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  16:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, Jo! The town in the middle looks like it's on an island but I'm assuming the river snakes around it and then goes off behind another hill?

Can't I please come stalk you? It looks like such a nice place to be a stalker!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  16:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a view of close to where I live - I'm not sure I can find a good picture of our actual are because we live in one of the flat spots between the hills - hard to get a distance shot of it!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  16:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, pretty. Are those trees all pines? It's amazing how different the geography of our country is.

Yeah, the river in my pic snakes around. It's beautiful in the summer when everything is in bloom and fall when all the leaves are colorful, but winter and fall are ugly. The picture was taking from a high overlook that is steeper than it looks in the picture. I live on the side of the river the picture was taken from. On the weekends in the summer the river has a good bit of traffic on it. We also still have alot of commercial traffic.

Now, other people post their pictures!

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/05/2007 16:32:16
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  16:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, the trees locally are a mix - natives include Oaks and pine but they're mixed with tons of different kinds of trees: Palm, Elm, Eucalytpus, Ficus, Maple, Jacaranda. Prety much anything grows here when watered so all the imports have become as numerous as the natives. Our Southern exposure is lined by 70 foot Eucalyptus trees (are they called Gum trees in Oz?), our front yard is shaded by a neighbor's towering oak, the other neighbor's equally towering Chinese Elm, the city's Elm tree and our own Japanese Maples, a Crape Mrytle and one tiny little Ginko tree, planted last year.

I'd love to see more pics!

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  17:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I love seeing where people are from! And I mean that in a non-psycho stalker way, I promise.

I was looking for pictures for you guys when I found a website devoted to the round tower near my house I spent ages researching for an archaeology project when I was in college. I spent ages trawling through local history archives for information, and it was on the internet the whole time! Gah! Of course, I didn't even THINK of googling the damn thing, because that was back when the only things I knew how to access online were my email and HPG. Tch.

Anyway, on to the pictures! Not to brag (much), but my area has some pretty famous scenery. While it's probably not famous abroad, I decided to err on the side of caution and not post anything too distinctive or close to my house. So you're missing out on some really pretty stuff. Come visit me and I'll show you (if I deem you non-psycho stalkerish enough).

Couldn't find any proper distance shots, but I'll edit here if I do. Anyway, these should give a fair idea of what stuff looks like round here:

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 03/05/2007 17:52:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  19:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hometown is very ordinary compared to you guys's. Here are some pictures of the lake near where I live. Our house is about a mile away; I like to walk to the State Park and take the footpath up and down the east bank. The lake is actually much larger than it appears in this picutre:

Here is the walking path:

The lake is just off to one side of the pathway. That's not me, by the way.

Edited by - n/a on 03/05/2007 19:14:04
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  22:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't been at the tea shop in a while so I'd missed all these pics. And I loooove pic threads.
Bee, that looks absolutely like Hamish Macbeth land!

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  01:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bee, I have been to your area! It's very pretty, and when I was there there were rainbows every day.

Well, photos of my home town are easy:

I might come back and show some other places I call home.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  02:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's not me, by the way.

That's funny, because I always imagined you looking a bit like that

Well I live in London, which makes it kinda hard to post nice pictures, since most of it is pretty drab. But here is a very flattering image of the area in north London in which I live:

and here's a more standard image:

and here's London seen from the London Eye:

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  08:41:16  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous pics, everyone.

And I love the bunnies yawning. I remember the first time I saw Twit yawn, it made me laugh. There is something just so cute about bunnies yawning--and no, I never got a picture of her yawning either.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  10:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of those yawning bunnies were cute, but others looked like they were snarling. I got a distinct Watership Down vibe from a few of them.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  11:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live at the end of this terrace:

And this is the local prison:

Hmm, maybe I should rob a bank.

And here's a bit of countryside (Warton Crag):

Edited by - Starling on 03/06/2007 11:03:42
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  11:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so cool! I love seeing where everyone lives. I'll have to scrounge up some shots of Charleston. Actually, googling will probably work wonders there, too.

Daughter nearly flipped when she saw your "castle", Bee. Now she wants to come visit (Yea! a potential world traveling companion!! Now all we need is the money and time.)

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  11:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What fun to see everyone's pictures! And.. my, what a picturesque prison!!!

Oh now I know where Bee lives, I'm going to fly right over there and stalk her - after I've stalked Jo for a bit, of course.

Pixie, I think your area looks lovely. We may all think our own communities look duller than other people's because it's what we're used to seeing each day. For example, I adore the streets of London and wouldn't mind seeing those but to Diri, they're just more endless cityscape. I won't be posting shots of palm trees silhouetted against the setting sun, even if they are pretty attractive, because I KNOW you've all seen those before!

Edited by - AMC on 03/06/2007 12:00:06
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our prison is a castle. It was built in 1405. Part of it is prison (the bit I posted), and part of it is a courthouse. It's also got residential bits for the Duke of Lancaster (the queen). You can visit the courthouse, and the cells where they used to keep the witches. Their tours are mindnumbingly boring, but there's a theatre group that does Shakespeare plays there once a year, and that's fun (you get to see bits you don't get to see when you do the tour).

On the whole, Lancaster is a really grey town. They seem to have something against trees. The surrounding countryside is beautiful, though.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Daughter nearly flipped when she saw your "castle", Bee. Now she wants to come visit (Yea! a potential world traveling companion!! Now all we need is the money and time.)

Heh, yeah because that's totally where I live. You really should come visit. There's plenty of room in the dungeons

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, she thought you lived in one of the houses in the photo. I would love to go to Ireland one day-- and I'd never get away with going without Daughter, so I suppose it would have to be a family getaway. Oh great. Now I've got the itch to get out of Charleston again. Perhaps a small day trip would do.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all jealous of all your picturesque homelands.

So I thought I'd give you all ganders of this particular bit of outdoor art, which happens to be in my general neighborhood:

Actually, I don't think it's there anymore...

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/06/2007 16:14:37
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only person who plans holidays and then starts planning the next one before I've even been on the first one? Talking about itching to get out of town. We're going to Maine this year, but Ruth's going to South Africa for a week in April (work, and she's meeting one of our Marauders, lucky goil), and we've already decided to go to South Africa for longer next year. I'd love to go with her this year, but I can't afford both SA (500 flights, eek!) and Maine. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Edit: I hope Grawpy hasn't been pullin' the trees out again, Diri.

Edited by - Starling on 03/06/2007 16:26:56
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ireland is a great place to visit with children - they're allowed in the pubs! My kids lived on pub toasted cheese sandwiches and my younger developed a fondness for seafood chower, which was generally excellent everywhere. The cheese sandwiches varied - some places they were superb, others mediocre. We ate a few as well - when they had good ones. We flew via Chicago, I think - I tried to avoid the horror that is switching planes in Heathrow.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.