Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  16:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid I can't subscribe to the "not living together before we're married" thing, since we plan to get married when we're 80, and it's an awfully long time to wait.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  21:18:04  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jo, you're too funny--but you've got the right idea. Like AMC says, personal space is something you definitely lose once you have children. Now that ours are grown and married, we both are enjoying our increased personal space--Terry took over Sarah's old bedroom for his office and I have Laura's old room for my laptop and all my stuff. I sometimes feel like I'm back in a dorm room with all my things crowding around each other--but it's by choice. And there is the rest of the house there, I just like being in my own little special place in the house.

Speaking of getting engaged too young--16?!? Oh my. Sarah and Chris were officially engaged when they were 18, and that was what I kept saying to them--"you're too young." But they assured us they were both going to finish college before they got married, and they did. Which meant that they were 24 when they got married. And it's still not always been easy. Laura and Tim were younger, and weren't engaged as long, but they were 22, which seemed young, but has worked well for them.

But at 16? That might work out, but I highly doubt it.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  01:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I see a duplex in Jo's future...

Funny you should say that because a few weeks ago I was reading a book and the main couple lived in each side of a duplex. I remember thinking that could be an ideal situation for dating.

I really have nothing against living together before marriage. Heck, my sister and her husband did it for nine years and two kids before they finally got married. But I'm at a point in my life that if I'm committed enough to live with you and have kids I want a piece of paper legalizing it. Until then I want my own space where I can have control of my tv clicker and leave all the lights on if I want to.

I'm going to the city again tomorrow. This is like the third time in three or four weeks. Turns out my dad has gout. This is a check-up appointment and I'm really only going for the free lunch. I have to help police his diet. He doesn't drink alcohol really, so that rules out the number one culprit, so no seafood, cured meats, really rich foods, etc. He's supposed to have lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Carbs are his friends, unlike people on Atkins.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/02/2007 01:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  15:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I need some ideas here. My neice has to dress up as Dolley Madison for a middle school pagent. Any ideas for a costume without major sewing?

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  15:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dare I ask, who's Dolly Madison?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  15:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She was the 4th First Lady of the United States, wife of James Madison. Very well known figure who was noted for her hospitality and more or less set the stage for entertaining for every first lady after her. At the time of her reign she was highly regarded, even into her later years and often liked more than her husband. I think we're going to have to end up fashioning some kind of Empire/Regency style dress since most of her portraits show her in this style.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  17:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can find something long and loose-ish with short puff sleeves (a cotton nightgown comes to mind), then you can give it a Regency waistline with ribbon and a little basting stitch. A good psuedo bonnet is the key as it makes you look period - people still wear long dresses, but no one wears bonnets! I'd think you could do this one with ribbon, lace and some stiff netting:

You'll just have to forgo the bare bosom...

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 03/02/2007 17:59:58
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  17:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, if your neice has the right hair, you could just to do the center-part updo with side and back curls. Seems like most of her pictures have that.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I really think that bonnet would be a slam-dunk. Get stiff veiling and cut a large circle. double-baste around the outside and pull the threads until it forms a pouf with the open end fitting your neice's head. Machine sew a zig-zag around the edge so it stays that size. Glue-gun a 1-2 inch wide ribbon to the edge and decorate with lace. Sew long pieces of laces to the headband to go under her chin.

kids look so cute in hats, it'll be a show-stopper. You just need to make it very lacy... so it doesn't look like a chef's hat!

Edited by - AMC on 03/02/2007 18:07:14
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  00:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like that idea about a ribbon for the Empire waistline. Get a pretty ribbon and we could even tie it into the bonnet, or hair ribbon if she goes without a hat. And that's a great idea for a hat. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a dress, or she might have one.

Here are instructionst to make a bonnet. I think I could actually make that. http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/classroom/sewprojects/EraBonnet/eraBonnet.cfm

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/03/2007 00:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  06:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Jo, you're so handy! I can barely hem trousers.

Going back a few posts: I must say the idea of cohabiting duplex-style sounds reeeeally appealing.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  07:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in a duplex; I wouldn't say my upstairs neighbor and I cohabit, but we do connect occasionally. She's an old widow and very sweet.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  07:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, cohabiting duplex-style sounds appealing to me too. It's especially feasible around here, with so many semi-detached houses. Although they're much too expensive (unless you live in Blackpool, ewww).

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  10:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think maybe the reason so many people want to live in large houses is they want the space of their own place but are too embarassed to admit they don't share well. So if common sense ruled, duplexes would replace McMansions!

Looks great, Jo - make sure you post pictures. Bee, the sewing on that project isn't much harder than hemming trousers.. but I'm sure you don't have any burning desire to sew a regency bonnet!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  11:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've started a duplex trend. And it's much easier on finances like splitting utilities and things. If we see this in the news in a few months we'll know where it started. We don't have too many duplexes in my neck of the woods. I think you have to go into the city neighborhoods before you see them, and even then their not really popular.

I'm actually okay with small houses, and prefer them to McMansions. I was the youngest in a family of five living in a really small 19th century house built before indoor plumbing or electricity. I see these people on "Househunters" on HGTV and they're looking at a massive bathrooms saying "It's too small." Try having a family share a bathroom that's only big enough to turn around in and located in the basement. But then most of the old houses here have basement bathrooms. There is an interesting book out called "The Not So Big House" about if you're building you don't need the huge square footage that many think they need. It about quality, not quantity. Of course, those houses are bigger than mine, too.

I'll post pictures of the Dolley Madison outfit when it's completed. I don't know when it's due, but I'm going to shopping today so I'm going to go looking for inexpensive dresses or nightgowns that might work. Of course, you'd think her mother would actually be doing this. My sister gets out of all these kinds of responsibilites by saying "I'm just not crafty." So whenever they need diaramas built or costumes made I get a call, usually on the night before it's due.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/03/2007 11:47:07
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  12:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm avoiding the large pile of washing up in the kitchen right now. Of course, I was going to clean the house from top to bottom and be really efficient today, having taken Other Half to the airport to catch his flight to New York early this morning. From Newark he is off to Denver for a conference and is away until next sunday.

Space! Of course, cleaning and tidying it up would mean I enjoy it more, and with him away it would stay that way for a whole week.

We proably have enough space, we just have too much junk and poor storage arrangements. In fact we have insufficient storage full stop. I am considering buying furniture with cupboards and drawers just to try and get some of the stuff out of sight. I am sick of boxes.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  12:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never seem to have enough space because I've got a ridiculous amount of STUFF. I'm a terribly hoarder. I used to get around my space problems by storing half my stuff at my place and half my stuff at my mother's, but now I've moved back in with my mother, so I've had to get pretty ruthless. I gave half my wardrobe away to charity last autumn... probably more than half actually. I've finally accepted that I'm never going to be a size UK8 again and that even if I was, I probably wouldn't want to wear check patterned flares and All Saints-style combat trousers. I even threw out my collection of theatre and museum programmes and my old copy books - sob. I EVEN threw out my green sombrero and Tiffany, my pet stick who had been a loyal companion for something like 15 years. Sad times.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  12:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, your niece will think fondly of you for your help - I'm barely able to help my kids with their projects, we usually throw something together. I'm not a perfectionist - I figure itf they're happy with it, it's good enough. My daughter had to do a diorama last year and she futzed and delayed and complained - finally the night before I said get out there and DO IT. I helped with ideas but she did the execution. The teacher's comments were "you can tell she worked really hard on her diaorama and thought a lot about it".. lol. I didn't disillusion her.

My life is a constant struggle with stuff - the more I get rid of the more there is. And it never seems to be the stuff we need, that has to be bought... necessitating more stuff management. Somedays I'd like to pile everything I own in my front yard and take a torch to it, but my family might object.

I love the "Not so Big House" movement. That's always been my approach - use your space wisely. But I have to say, sometimes the people who say they are proponents of this concept are as crazy as the McMansion folks - I read about one couple whose idea of multi-use space was putting sliding barn doors on their custom-built home office so their two kids could use the space as a stage for plays. Surely children can still make curtains out of old sheets? Apparently not in their carefully planned household.

Edited by - AMC on 03/03/2007 12:57:49
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  12:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, I feel your pain. I gave away my record collection - even my mint-condition T Rex album The Slider. I had to - we haven't owned a record player in 15 years.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just nipped down the road for some veggies.

I bought:

4 onions
5 carrots
an aubergine
a courgette
mushrooms
4 nectarines
grapes

AND 8 DOUGHNUTS FOR THE PRICE OF 5 (even though Other Half is away)

WHY AM I SO WEAK???????????

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  14:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the spouse is away.. time for the really good snacks!

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  15:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, only 5 doughnuts left....
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  15:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I looked it up because I couldn't remember what aubergines and courgettes were. I do remember learning that with culinary terms sometimes the British adopt the French names for foods and Americans adopt the Italian name. Strange.

Aubergine = Egglant
Courgette = Zucchini

I dislike both no matter what name they go by.

Oooh, donuts sound so good. I'm off to the grocery store in a few minutes. Maybe I'll have to pick up some. I'm so bad this week with my eating. I know I've gained back the few pounds I lost. Bad, bad me.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  16:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The houses they build here still don't have indoor plumbing, Jo.

Is anyone watching the lunar eclipse? We've got clear skies over here.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  18:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't heard there would be a lunar eclipse tonight. It is pretty well clouded over so I doubt we'd get a glimpse.

I'm glad someone else had forgotten what a courgette is. Didn't have any trouble with aubergine, though.

Small is a relative term when it comes to houses. Lots of people think they have small houses, but at 2000 sq. feet, I can truly laugh at them. Our house is a 1936 bungalow. We have 1600 square feet of space for three people, one house rabbit, and sleeping quarters for two outdoor dogs. We "share" two coat closets for all our storage. Other than that it is the attic, bathroom shelving, and underbed space. My kitchen is 8 X 10 with a + traffic pattern right through the middle of it. My house is inconvenient, but charming. I love it.

So I turned 41 in December. Time to feel old and worry about osteoporosis, sag, and wrinkles if I believe the advertisers. What fun is that? I began Kung Fu lessons today (just call me Kung Fu Mama). It will be a nice compliment to my Tai Chi. The year ahead will be busy, though. I'm learning First Long Fist (a Northern style of Kung Fu) and will be starting the 42 form in tai chi soon. Hope I can get through all of it without the body crapping out.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  18:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up in a family of five with only 1,200 square feet. It was tight, we had no cable tv, but we did a lot of things together. Come summer we were never in the house. That's probably the reason my parents bought a pool, to keep us out of the house. But we had a good bit of land and we were always outside. Some day I'd like to gut it and add on a few rooms. It was too tight for five people.

Ooh, Siobhan, remind me never to pick a fight with you. I need to get back to exercising. I'm sooooo lazy.

Newguise, I bought donuts today at the store. It's all your fault. I only ate one for right now, but I had fetuccini alfredo for dinner. I'm just giving up this week for lost and enjoying eating. Monday I'll be good.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  19:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I have no idea how many square feet I've got. My house has one bedroom and a closet (they call it a bedroom, but you can't fit a single bed in it, I mean it, it's too short). I sleep in the living room. To my utmost surprise, there are houses smaller than mine. Went to have a look at one and realised I wouldn't be able to fit my furniture in it! The "double" bedroom didn't have any storage, and it wasn't big enough for a bed and a wardrobe. The living room was too small for my daybed/sofa.

I think my living room is about 3.5 x 4 (metres), same for the kitchen. Fin's bedroom is about 4 x 4. The "closet" is 1.95m by 1.35. Bathroom is about 1.50 x 3 (yes, it's really narrow). The landing is about 1.50 x 1. *adds up* Wow, 52 square metres.

Edited by - Starling on 03/03/2007 19:08:03
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  21:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which is about 450 square feet, unbelievably small to most Americans outside of New York City. In New York if you could rent out a coat closet someone would pay to sleep in there. Where you hang your hat is home - literally.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having drinks at a friend's house while the lunar eclipse was going on, so we placed bets on when the moment of complete eclipse would happen. And I won! Woo hoo! I'm ashamed to say that if I didn't have money on it, I probably wouldn't have persevered with watching it. It was so fricking cold outside, but I'm glad I didn't give up and go back in, because once it got going it was actually really amazing to look at. The sky was clear so we had a perfect view.

I have no idea how many square feet we have, but we've always had a decent amount of space, though we could definitely have done with more. I only have one sibling and we each had our own bedroom growing up. Now it's just me and my mother living here so we've loads of room. It's such a change from sharing a flat with three bedrooms and one communal (and tiny!) kitchen/living area with four other girls (one of whom was an utter nutter - needless to say, she got the single room).

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 03/04/2007 11:11:59
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed the eclipse (London isn't a great place for stargazing) but I have seen one already so I didn't feel like I missed much. I did warn my aunt to be on the lookout, but I haven't found out if she saw it or not.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.