Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read about that sorority thing somewhere, Jo. It all sounds pretty wretched. I'm still not entirely clear on what exactly a sorority actually is though. Care to enlighten me?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  12:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, if you ask a sorority sister or fraternity brother about what a they are then they'll give a spiel about it being an organization of sisterhood (or brotherhood) where lifelong friendships develop, leadership is built, and community service is a principle, blah, blah, blah. It's really just an exclusive groups of girls or boys who all look and think the same and exist for the purpose of going to keggers and sleeping around. Certain sororities hook up with certain fraternities. Then they'll spout about having high GPAs, but I do know that some of them have "test files" where old tests are smuggled or stolen out and they can cheat. Not all of them are horrible, and I've had friends who were members, but it's never been my cup of tea. I just never had the desire to be hung upside down to do a keg stand. Boring of me, I know. They all claim no hazing goes on, but at my University it was still the mainstream.

I'm getting a perm tomorrow. Yes, I know, the horror! And don't do it! But I need a change and my hair usually looks nice curly. I don't want it really short and if it's to my shoulders or longer then it's very limp, a side effect of fine, thin hair. I change my hairstyle quite often anyways. I have a cycle of short/long/straight/curly I go through. It won't be the 80s style but more of a wave. My hair has no natural wave to it. One woman I know won't do anything with her hair, she just likes it long and nothing adventurous like bangs or curls. She won't even let her daughter get hers cut. Luckily, mine grows pretty fast so I don't mind getting it all chopped off when the mood strikes. However, I don't want to do a Britney Spears and shave it.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  12:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, I'm not the best person to explain but... large colleges have student organizations or social clubs called fraternities and sororities. In some places they have live-in Houses where the members can live, other places the "House" is just the social center. They throw parties, do collective projects - essentially it's an exclusive social group.

For as long as I can remember there have been various scandals surrounding these clubs. There's a "RUSH week" where incoming freshman apply to belong to these clubs and there's scandals surrounding who gets selected - like certain clubs never admitted minorities, etc.. Then there's the initiation where you become a sister or brother - some frat initiations are so extreme (like doing 20 shots of tequila in a row) that incoming members have died in the process. then there's a big to-do, everyone apologises and the frat lays low for a while.

Then there's the ongoing life in a frat or sorority - some are fairly innocous groups, other revel in extreme partying. On my own small school campus a frat got kicked off for years after destroying school property a number of times. It was only one or two members responsible but the Frat system tends to encourage members to go out of bounds because they know their "brothers" will suport them. Sororities tend to be kind of icky (sorry, any sisters out there) - it seems like most of them are oriented towards being the cheerleading section for the frats. Now I know some very nice women who pledged to a sorority and at some schools you pretty much have to as they run the social scene but in general, sorority girls have kind of bad reputations - I remember a friend of mine was an Alpha-Phi, nicknamed "All for Free". I think you get the picture.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  12:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I'm the same - I've cut my hair extremely short more times than I can count and grown it long just as many times. I like change and my hair growns fast. I always say to my hair-stylist "I won't cry". Now that I'm middle-aged she's been giving me middle-aged cuts though - I think I need to find somewhere they don't know me. :)

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  16:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, AMC and Jokelly! I'm glad we don't have that sort of system over here. I mean, I was vice-president of my university's Psychological Society, but somehow I don't think that's quite the same thing...

My hair grows really quickly as well, and I'd love to be more adventurous with it, but it's extremely thick, and hairdressers always refuse to cut it past a certain length. They keep telling me that it'd stick out like a briar if they did, which is probably about right. I've never had the courage to dye it - it used to be a lovely shade of auburn when I was younger, but darkened considerably when I was about 18. I occasionally put a temporary colour in, but only ever some variant on auburn. My mam thinks I should go blonde, but that sounds just a bit tooooooo radical. I did look quite well in a blonde wig one Halloween, but that's not quite the same thing. Maybe if I ever have a midlife crisis....

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  16:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
They keep telling me that it'd stick out like a briar if they did, which is probably about right.

Ruth's got really thick hair, want to see what it looked like when she cut it really short? "stick out like a briar" is an excellent description.

My own hair is very thin, getting thinner, and has to be short.

In Holland you have fraternity-like societies, called "corps". Most of them started off just allowing men, but now they allow women too. In Groningen you have Vindicat, which is full of ponces and holds "balls" with posh frocks and very badly behaved members, Albertus Magnus, which is fairly posh, but much more pleasant, Bernlef, which is where the Frisians go, and there's one with mainly women too, but I can't remember what it's called. I didn't join any of them, to my family's chagrin, since all my uncles plus my grandfather and great grandfather were members of Vindicat.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 02/27/2007 16:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Thanks for the info, AMC and Jokelly! I'm glad we don't have that sort of system over here. I mean, I was vice-president of my university's Psychological Society, but somehow I don't think that's quite the same thing...

*snort*

I would hate the sorority thing. I used to avoid the college kids like the plague at uni, because they tended to be rich and obnoxious. The country kids were cool, though, and I ended up living with a fair few. [Translation note: the 'college' I'm referring to are the university residences/dorms, VERY expensive and most people don't go there unless they're a. rich or b. from the country.]

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  10:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't pledge either-- just not a joiner or conformist (my black eyeliner pencil was my best friend in college). At UW 20 years ago, the tri-delts were one of the worst sororities. My friend who went to WSU was a tri-delt, though, and her sorority was much different. They had a cross-state exchange one year and were shocked at the UW sisters' decision to stay at one of the frat houses instead of the rooms the girls had vacated for them in their own house.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  12:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Bee, if you ask a sorority sister or fraternity brother about what a they are then they'll give a spiel about it being an organization of sisterhood (or brotherhood) where lifelong friendships develop, leadership is built, and community service is a principle, blah, blah, blah. It's really just an exclusive groups of girls or boys who all look and think the same and exist for the purpose of going to keggers and sleeping around. Certain sororities hook up with certain fraternities. Then they'll spout about having high GPAs, but I do know that some of them have "test files" where old tests are smuggled or stolen out and they can cheat. Not all of them are horrible, and I've had friends who were members, but it's never been my cup of tea. I just never had the desire to be hung upside down to do a keg stand. Boring of me, I know. They all claim no hazing goes on, but at my University it was still the mainstream.

I never got drunk or slept around. Astonishingly enough, most of the girls in my sorority never did either. Nor did we cheat on tests. And I have never been a mindless clone of anyone. Mostly, I joined to get away from the noisy,icky dorms and lousy campus food.

Every campus culture is different and spawns different sorts of Greek organizations. It sounds as though you have a particularly poor system which is due mostly to irresponsibility on the part of the university's administration. They could stop the hazing if they wanted to - we had none. They haven't bothered.

The Greek system has it's drawbacks. Exclusivity is the big one, and for the sororities in particular, looks are definitely important. But in my day (and I doubt we were especially enlightened) it wasn't about picking barbie dolls. It was about how the rest of the campus treated us. You have no idea of some of the painful, soul-searching meetings we had. It's not fun to walk across campus and have people moo or bark at you just because some of your sisters are overweight or less attractive than society's ideal. It happened and knowing it can happen puts tremendous presure on all sororities. But it teaches a valuable life-lesson as well. When are you willing to risk ridicule to stand by someone? We had serious, thoughtful debates on this and regardless of how the votes went, it made us think.

Sisterhood?... community service?... leadership?... nobody really buys that. Lifelong friendships? Of course you'll form those in a sorority, but you will at university in general. Mostly, it's about finding a group of people where you're accepted and supported. For a freshman away from home for the first time that can be a huge draw. And that part isn't BS. Sisters/brothers do look after each other. I may barely know your name, but if you're a sister, I'm going to go out of my way to say, "Hey, are you all right?" if you're looking down and to pay attention when you tell me what's wrong. If you're sitting alone, I'll stop to talk or invite you to go get pizza. It's possible to find this same kind of support in the dorms, but it depends entirely on other people's goodwill. In a sorority this is taught and expected.

The Greek system is by no means for everyone. But those who join aren't villains. They're just college kids looking for a place to fit in like everyone else.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
Mostly, it's about finding a group of people where you're accepted and supported. For a freshman away from home for the first time that can be a huge draw. And that part isn't BS. Sisters/brothers do look after each other. I may barely know your name, but if you're a sister, I'm going to go out of my way to say, "Hey, are you all right?" if you're looking down and to pay attention when you tell me what's wrong. If you're sitting alone, I'll stop to talk or invite you to go get pizza. It's possible to find this same kind of support in the dorms, but it depends entirely on other people's goodwill. In a sorority this is taught and expected.

The Greek system is by no means for everyone. But those who join aren't villains. They're just college kids looking for a place to fit in like everyone else.

I think this is an important point, especially for those who go to really big schools. I went to the first hour of Rush Week donkey's years ago at the University of Georgia (which has a HUGE Greek system) but I just wasn't a joiner, either, as Siobhan says. But I found acceptance within a Christian campus group, which helped with the "freshman away from home for the first time" blues. Big universities can be really tough places when it feels like no one knows your name or cares about what you're going through.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  13:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I joined the groups for my study: GUTS (Groningen University Theatre Society, first play: Equus), NUTS (which didn't stand for anything, but was more of a description of the members *g*, it ran the newsletter), and the group that always organised the intro weekends for the first years (I loved organising the scary treasure hunts, ahhh, the number of first years I frightened out of their wits ...).

Those three groups basically had the same members. Problem was, fall out with one, and you fall out with the whole group. Le sigh. Ruth's still in contact with her groups from Hamburg, she doesn't have the tendency to fall out with people.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an old saying "nonconformity is easy in a group." Being contrary by nature, I suppose, I didn't get into one of those goth cliques, either. I rather enjoyed being on my own. It is very liberating to not concern yourself with what others think of you. For the first time in my life, oh so long ago, I needed that freedom desperately. I never fit in with the kids I went to school with, and the pressure of negative feelings from others was at times, suffocating ("Why can't you be like everybody else?" was something I heard regularly). College was a wonderful experience. I didn't really fit into any groups there either, but with so many more students it didn't matter-- annonymity was great. Not that I want to be a face in a crowd, but I don't want to be put under anyone's microscope either.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  16:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran Leaky through the dialectizer (redneck version), and now I keep reading "Deathly Hallers" instead of "Deathly Hallows".

I didn't fit in at school either, Siobhan, but that was more because I'd been bullied so badly at primary school that I no longer knew how to handle people who didn't want to spit on me. College was great, a new start, until I met the wrong boyfriend .

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  16:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Every campus culture is different and spawns different sorts of Greek organizations. It sounds as though you have a particularly poor system which is due mostly to irresponsibility on the part of the university's administration. They could stop the hazing if they wanted to - we had none. They haven't bothered.

I think every University has a different atmosphere with their Greek system, but on my campus it was a pretty wild crowd. Hazing was, and still is, pretty common. Let me just say, that I would have never survived the initiation my friend had to her sorority. Being little at the time, I would have been in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. My mom's friend owned a business next to a frat house, all greek housing was off campus, and she had damage done every weekend--garbage in her yard, boys urinating on anything, stench of beer. One time they even nailed all the doors shut. The police refused to do anything. She ended up closing and moving. And she wasn't the only one. The greek houses have pretty much chased all residential and commercial business out of that area of town. The University claims they can't do anything because it's off campus. So it just continues to happen. Like I said, they have had a hard time recruiting in the past few years because of their bad reputations. Only a very small percentage of students are actually members.

Universities usually also have clubs, intramural sports, on-campus events and parties, etc, so if you don't want to join a frat or sorority then there are options for social life.

Going off that topic, I now have curly hair. When I went in it was pin straight and below my shoulders an coming out it was curly, layered, and above my shoulders. I really like it, but will love in 3 days when I can wash it and do it myself.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  17:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deathly Hallers? Oh my, that's going to be tough one to get out of my mind!!!

I can't stand groups - I like people individually very much but anything that smells like a clique gives me the willies. No, not those willies, gutter-brains. I don't mind group events and I can even enjoys crowds but I've always been someone who wanders between several groups of people. Part of it is natural contrariness - whenever there's a majority opinion I want to be arguing on the other side. The other part is I hate conformity - I think people have a perfect right to conform to a norm but I don't think anyone should be pressured to do so and too often once a group forms, the members are asked to behave in a particular way, not to "embarrass" the crowd, not to stand out or disagree with the group consensus... etc. Hate dat.

Also, not to belabor the point but Jo's Uni isn't the only one where Greeks have had bad reputations. I went to one University, my best friends went to another, my husband to a third... all of them had at least one wantonly destructive, drunken frat and/or sorority populated with wild girls. I'm not saying all greek houses are like that, just that it's pretty common to have those bad apples among the greek houses on any given college campus.

Great news on the hair, Jo! Doesn't it kind of go wild the first day?

Edited by - AMC on 02/28/2007 17:47:58
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  18:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're all individuals!

We are all invididuals!

I'm not!

Vindicat was the society with the bad reputation. At their parties you always had to wade through glass (and if you got caught snogging you had to drink a litre of condensed milk), and all members had to pay for the damage done at each party, even when they hadn't attended the party. They'd just send each member a bill. The houses where they lived were easily recognisable, because the corridors would be full of bin bags, old bicycles, and other rubbish. The members were easy to recognise too: neatly combed hair, striped shirt, ironed jeans. They looked so posh, but they didn't behave posh.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All together now: awwwww.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  21:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww. Lets just hope those cubs don't get a little hungry.

quote:
Originally posted by AMC
Great news on the hair, Jo! Doesn't it kind of go wild the first day?

Yeah, I feel a bit like Hermione right now, that is if she decided to cut it short. I have a barrett holding my bangs back right now. They're too long to wear down and too short to do anything with.

Right now I'm watching the show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" and I worried that adults are missing so many questions. Maybe it's because I'm certified in elementary ed and so I'm familiar with the curriculum, but last night a guy with a degree in U.S. History from UCLA did not get "Who was the first President to be impeached?" I realize that that doesn't come up in everyday life and you might not know it, but someone with a degree in U.S. History should know it. Especially when all the kids got it correctly. (Andrew Johnson is the answer)

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  00:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - must ask my fifth grader. I'll bet she doesn't know it (I didn't - shame on me - but I could have guessed because I DO know what kind of character Jackson had). I'm good at remembering funny stories and terrible at History. I only remember the scandalous stuff. I suppose impeachment is scandalous enough, so I still should have known that.

See that "Lion and Lamb" stuff always makes me nervous. The cubs are darling but they're predators.. even the tiniest kitten loves to chase and bite things. I worry about the orangutans. Hmm - except my daughter read about them last year and they're capable of violence and jealousy too. Heck, I don't even know which to worry about!

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  04:01:32  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jo, I did know that one. I've always been interested in American history and the whole way they tried to get Andrew Johnson out after Lincoln was killed was really horrible. Some of the politicians thought that Johnson would go along with whatever they wanted where the treatment of the South was concerned, and he didn't. Good thing it didn't work.

Was that show on PBS? I've never seen it. But I've been out of school so long now, that I'd probably not do very well.

Terry still has 10 treatments left to go, but he is feeling well and went back to work on Monday. I think it's good for him--it gets him out of the house and around people for the morning at least. He has to leave early to get to his radiation appts, but that's good since he can then come home and take a short nap before dinner.

No sorority for me. But I transferred as a junior, so I lived in the dorm. The best part was that all the girls on my floor were transfer students or graduate students--so no freshmen or sophomores. We all had fun together, and I'm still in contact with my roommate, but none of the rest.

The sororities and frats at KU back in the late 60s and early 70s were not some place I wanted to be--they were known for their wild parties--not my thing. The girls from each sorority all looked exactly alike--to the point that you could tell who was in which one. I was unfortunate enough to have a bunch of them in some of my education classes, and found them to be very rude and unfriendly--they would only talk to each other.

However, I know that it's not like that everywhere. And some of the very small colleges do have sororities and frats and they seem to behave better--at least they did at my friend's college, which had about 4000 students.

When I was teaching, one of my best friends on the faculty was Brenda, who, when we first met, asked me what sorority I'd been in (we graduated the same year), and I'm afraid I was rather rude in my answer. But we managed to get passed all that, thankfully.

Anyway, I suppose it's all right for some, but it was never something that interested me.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 03/01/2007 04:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  07:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tiger cubs will be removed once they start a meat diet. We wouldn't want them to have an orang utang snack!

The daughter of a friend of mine has just got engaged. She's 16. Everybody is all asquee about it, and I'm thinking "argh, toooooooooooo young!". But of course I can't say anything!

The girl was raised in an old-fashioned family, and she's always been chaperoned when she went out. She was also home-schooled, and, although she's a very sociable (and really lovely!) girl, her upbringing has been pretty sheltered.

I just hope they wait a long time before they get married ... although people are already asking for dates .

I'm glad Terry is feeling well, Eeyore, and it's so good he can go back to work.

I've done my back in. *mutters darkly*

Edited by - Starling on 03/01/2007 07:07:53
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  07:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Starling; it's hard to imagine that kind of attitude towards marriage outside of India. Were the couple nudged together by arranged circumstance, perchance?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  09:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think so, but the boy was most definitely vetted carefully. Before proposing (or even suggesting marriage to the girl) he went to the girl's dad to ask for her hand.

This family is very conservative American. That said, they are the most generous and amazing people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. They'll do anything for anyone without expecting anything in return, and they don't think it's a big deal. During the big hurricane in New Orleans they went out and helped people stranded in their cars. We kept getting updates like "it's 2am and hubby isn't back yet". My goodness. They organise things, make(!) presents for people every Christmas, look after their relatives (even if they can't stand them), and are simply astounding.

And that's why I don't want to say anything about how I don't think getting engaged at 16 is a good idea!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  10:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YIKES! 16!!!! YIKES!!!! I don't care who they are or how lovely they are - making a decisions like that at that age is absurd! I mean, I know people who have eloped at 16 and lived more or less happily ever after but.. having your family encourage you to get married at that age seems CRAZY.

LOL - Johnson. Not Jackson. I told you I suck at History. I asked my 5th grader and my spouse - they didn't know either. We're united in our ignorance of our country's history, alas.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  10:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear Terry's doing well, Eeyore. It's great that he can still work.

You know what I covet more than anything right now? One of those really powerful staplers that can staple a big pile of pages. I'm so boring.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  11:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've been dating since Christmas (eek!). They're going to wait until she's 18 before they get married.

The girl's had two marriage proposals this year already, one from a guy who brought papers to prove he earns 500,000 a year. Her parents turned him down on account of him being a twit. Good on them.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  11:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You make me think of the Monty Python routine on the Upper Class Twit of the Year competition.

Dating since Christmas? That long?

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  13:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Granted, they've known the guy for years, but he only plucked up the courage to ask her out this Christmas.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  14:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think sometimes there should be a law outlawing marriage until after you've turned 21.

I wouldn't want to live with a significant other before marriage. Not for any religious reasons. I'm just kinda selfish right now and would like my own space. My ideal situation would be to have a long-term boyfriend live next door, not with me. That way I could have him nearby, but kick him out if he's annoying me or hogging too many covers. Hmmm...this might be the reason I'm still single.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see a duplex in Jo's future...

I can relate, I really like my own space and I get mighty grouchy when I have none. Which may explain my mood over the last... 10 years. When my spouse and I were first living together we had a 2200 square foot house all to ourselves - lots of room for personal space. Now we live in a house that's about 20% larger and we share it with 2 kids, a dog, a rabbit, a constant stream of houseguests and visiting children... let's just say what personal space we each have has been carved out deliberately and it's a constant struggle to keep it!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.