Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  04:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read an interesting article on the whole Britney Spears thing, and it stated one fact that absolutely floored me. Britney Spears is 25 years old. 25! Most people are still trying to find their careers at 25; Britney, having reached that age, has been stalked, abused, heckled, monitored and cloistered in the world of celebrity for eleven years, ever since she joined The New Micky Mouse Club at 14. That she broke down is hardly surprising; that even her breakdown became fodder for the press is sickening.

This form of celebrity, where people are famous for garnering tabloid headlines rather than for any actual accomplishments, is not new; the courtesans of ancient Rome thrived on such noteriety; the antics of the debutantes and society girls were fodder for the press a hundred years before the invention of Paris Hilton, and Emma Hamilton based her entire career on the seduction of the wealthy. However, Emma Hamilton also died penniless in the gutter and serves as an abject lesson of the emptiness of fame. In our modern digital age, this empty noteriety is reaching a kind of critical mass; whether it's Jade Goody causing an international incident with her racist slurs on Big Brother or Anna Nicole leading to the resignation of a Barbadian foreign minister, celebrity has become a force in its own right, separate from any other consideration. It has almost become a natural resource, akin to oil or gold; for a brief period, Britain created a Celebdaq stock exchange, in which investors could speculate on celebrity futures, and bet on the rise or decline in celebrity value of public figures.

Ultimately this has no effect on the wider world, except perhaps a mild bemusement. But no resource can be exploited without a price; something has to give, and again and again, we see that that something is the celebrity him or herself. It's not surprising that Britney essentially had a nervous breakdown; no human could survive the kind of intrusion into their lives without some kind of psychic damage. And now that she has, her life is likely to become even more unbearable, as the tabloids, scenting blood, move in to destroy her. At this time, a great talent would turn to his or her art for solace, but Britney doesn't have that option. Should her career end now, what will it have amounted to? A few songs she didn't write, an unremarkable singing voice, and some mediocre dance moves. Even Michael Jackson and OJ Simpson had actual legacies to leave behind when their celebrity imploded. Jackson transformed the art of dance and, let's not forget, wrote all of his own songs. OJ Simpson had his stellar athletic and even burgeoning acting careers. It's hard to see what route Britney will take to recover from this.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  06:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf
I'm also not one for regret - some stranger once asked me, in the middle of an impromptu conversation, what I most regretted in life, and he was baffled when I couldn't think of anything. There are things I'd change if I had my life over, but I wouldn't click my fingers now and erase their past occurrence and effects on me, because who knows where I'd end up? I prefer to learn from things and move on.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I like my life today and I wouldn't want to change a thing. I often wonder "what if" but not with regret, just curiousity.

I moved in with my older sister when she had 5 kids 5 years old and under. I pretty much raised her twins (who were 4 months at the time, they're 17 now). Living with her for almost two years sure was and effective form of birth control for me. My biological clock didn't really start ticking until I got married at 27. We're trying but nothing so far. I'm 34 and I think I still have plenty of time.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  14:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Britney Spears is exactly one week older than my little sister. Scary.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  22:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

For those of you who have been following my latest fanfic, you'll recall that back in November I took a bit of a hiatus because I was working on a special project over at the Leaky Lounge. Well, at long last it's up - the best guide to book seven that Leaky's best minds could come up with. Have a look and I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you know which chapter I had the honor of writing.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#static:bookseven/toc

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  00:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm coming out of a bout of food poisoning. Either that or just a stomach virus. It hit me the night before last with violent lower abdominal cramps. I ended up laying half the night on my stomach with a pillow under me, the only place I could get comfortable. Yesterday, the pain seemed more like cramps, which I know they're not because I rarely get them. I'm having some side effects today that I don't care to go into detail, but at least I finally feel like it's leaving me.

I feel bad that I'm not getting excited over book 7 being released. I'm eager to read it, but I feel like I should be more enthused about it. It's been quite a while since I read any HP so maybe my interest will increase when I reread the books, which I plan to do.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  01:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Jo, I am SO sorry. Did you toss your cookies? If not, it's probably not food poisoning. I had bouts of pain like that in my teens and 20s and they happened about every 4-6 years, I'd be lying on the floor of the emergency room because I was in too much pain to sit up. They'd do every test to mankind and find nothing. I think we finally determined they might have been burst ovarian cysts.. eeewwwy. But I haven't had an attack in a long time so I'm hoping whatever it is doesn't come back!!!

I'm excited enough for both of us. I cannot wait! And I'm also excited to know what Jo will write next - it won't be HP but think how wonderful it will be to get new worlds and characters from her!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  05:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been a nasty stomach bug going around for the past few months.

Then again, I hadn't suffered from time-of-the-month cramps for the past few years, but the last couple times it's floored me, especially because I seem to have endometriosis all over my stomach (they're scanning me in two weeks' time). Ow.

You can get those in the middle of the month too, by the way.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  08:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys, I am absolutely CERTAIN there is a fantastic site that discusses the possible content of Deathly Hallows in minute detail, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Does anybody else know? I don't mean Leaky's site, this one was there way before theirs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  08:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Jo! Stomach ailments suck. (Sorry, no better way to say it.) I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Starling, Accio Quote has a comprehensive collection of everything Jo's said relating to DH, as well as all the characters and other themes. I like referring to it because it's more of an unbiased source that lets you come to your own conclusions. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of, but it is a great resource!

Bravo, Theowyn and TLC! The Book Seven site looks like a stupendous effort. I can't wait to dive in as soon as I get the time. Maybe this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  10:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flu has been going around here, too. Several people we know have had it. The only positive I've heard is the weight loss-- not the way I would choose to lose weight, but if you're going to be sick something good should come of it.

Theo, can't wait to sit down and read the site. Finding time is the hard part. The weather is so nice right now that getting a start on my gardening is a real temptation. If the weather gets bad, there's taxes to work on. Perhaps I'll just skive off and read instead.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  10:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it! It's book7.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  11:34:02  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jo, I hope you are feelin better. You really should get that checked out. It well could be ovarian cysts. I had one and it ended up that my ovary was five times its size--the pain was worse than anything I've ever had. Mine also ended up with me in emergency surgery having that ovary removed, as it was dying. The pain was from the ovary twisting around when the cyst was flaring up, thereby pincing the nerve that is around there somehow. It took several tries to the emergency room and the doctor's office before I went in for surgery--even then the doctor was sure it was my appendix. Once they got in there, they saw what the problem really was. As big as it was though, it was benign, so once it was out, the problem was gone.

However, Sarah, who is a bit younger than you, has the same thing--it comes and goes (the cysts apparently get reabsorbed, is what the doctor told her). So when she has pain from a cyst, there doesn't seem to be much she can do about it, except to take some pain meds. But anyway, you should get it checked so you'd know what you are dealing with. And if you find out any more useful information, let me know and I'll pass it along to Sarah.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  12:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel fine now, but I'll keep an eye out. The diarrhea has stopped and the cramps are gone. I think it was a bug going around. You want to hear something odd. I was reading old wives tales and new age stuff one time and it said that if you keep some spring water under your bed then you'll never get menstrual cramps. Well, I didn't think anything more about it because I rarely, if ever get them. I get other symtoms but never cramps. So a few nights later I was scrounging around under my bed (yes, it's a bit messy) looking for a book and I found a lost water bottle I had filled up with our spring water under my bed. Instantly I thought back to that tale so I left it there, changing the water periodically. Of course, it'd probably help your condition more if you drink it than sleep on it.

Edited by - Jokelly on 02/24/2007 12:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  15:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to say, Theo, excellent essay.

But I like Donna's to, and now I'm confused.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  16:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one of the things I love most about the stories ... but it also drives me crazy! I think both sides or the the "Trust Snape/Snape is a Very Bad Man" dilemma are right about some things, but they get off track when they try to polarize Snape as either completely loyal to Dumbledore or completely evil. Right now I think the answer is somewhere in the middle ... no Grand Plan (yuck!), but Snape is not evil to the core, either. I think he's done some very, very bad things, and put himself and his "allies" in the OOtP in some horrible positions, but the "right thing" is still in there somewhere and will show itself before the end. (I hope!) Anyway, SINUS knows I feel that way and they still let me drink their ale, so I'm sticking to my story.

Oh yes ... Excellent essay, Theo! You do present your thoughts very well. Thanks for sharing them with fandom.

Edited by - n/a on 02/24/2007 16:12:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  20:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, now the weathermen are calling for a severe ice storm tonight. Just what we need after the blizzard last week. Joy!
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  20:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Pixie! Not another storm. Stay inside by a cozy fire and drink hot toddies.

I'm glad you guys liked the essay. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Starling

Forgot to say, Theo, excellent essay.

But I like Donna's to, and now I'm confused.

Now you've peeked my curiosity. I did't think Donna's essay talked about Snape. That's the Horcrux one, yes? Can you elaborate?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 02/24/2007 20:40:15
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  12:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, busy few days so I've been out of the loop.

I shall head over to Leaky, Theowyn, and have aread as soon as Ican.

It is quite hard typing one-handed whilst eating cookies.

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  15:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Bee. It is definitely Spring. My official sources are in agreement. Firstly, Dr. Jones (my rabbit) has decided to shed his winter fluff in exchange for a sleeker, sexier coat. Secondly, possibly related to the first, my sinuses are beginning to act up. Thirdly, we have been doing the up-down big-dipper weather pattern for the last two weeks. Yesterday morning we had temps in the upper thirtys, today is warm but windy and cloudy. Rain is threatening us with severe thunderstorms. Fourthly, the Carolina Wrens are out in full force scolding us every few steps we take in our yard.

Gardening season is underway. I fertilised the roses today (in hopes the weather would cooperate and water it in for me). In my tour of "the property," I noticed that my tulips and second yellow jasmine are beginning to bloom, the snow flakes are in full flower, and the ginger lilies are giving it another go with new sprouts (their last two tries were premature). I guess I'll have to plan on trips to the nursery for some new plants soon. For today, I think I'll settle for looking at my garden catalogues.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  20:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, gardening season up in Pennsylvania is late April/early May. I don't even try to do anything until after March because we've been known to get 2-3 ft snowfalls then. It still snows into April, no accummulation, but it still snows. Usually our daffodils are popping up though in late February and nothing so far. This cold weather has really delayed them. I don't expect them to bloom until late March.

We've got some hardscaping to do, a new set of steps need poured, walkway needs relaid and I have some huge fieldstone that needs moved. But I do have planned out what I'm planting and where. This year I want to plant a field of lavender if I can get my dad to get his rototiller working. If not, then I'll have a patch of it.

My favorite flowers are impatiens. I just love them. They come in so many colors and are such a simple flower. Everyone looks at me weirdly when I tell them those are my favorite.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  21:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't even bother with a garden at the moment. Due to the drought we can't water anything anyway, and we definitely need water to drink before we need it for flowers. :(

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  00:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Jo - you are so in the wrong area. Impatiens bloom year 'round here and they are everywhere - if they're cared for they grow huge and lush. I have a couple on my front stoop now.. let's just say they aren't huge or lush. I'm kind of bad with watering stuff.

We've had a very dry year but no one's talking drought so there must be snows in the mountains. Our water supply depends upon the weather hundreds of miles away - local rain-fall means next to nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  01:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, we use impatiens for borders around here, but they're only in bloom from early June till September.

I just asked my dad, the gardener in the family, and he said we don't plant here until late May at the earliest because it still frosts into the month. I was surprised last year when he got some roses at Big Lots for $2/bush and he planted them, never expecting them to actually grow. Well, a month later there were the most beautiful, perfectly formed tea roses in bloom. Wonder if they'll do anything this year. I'm also on a mission this spring to remove the sumacs, non-poisonous variety, from the property. They spread and take over everything. That and the Virgina Creeper are goners.

Speaking of frosts, we're supposed to have ice tomorrow morning. What fun! The snow is almost melted from last week, but what is left is now icy.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  09:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, we were supposed to get a bunch of ice yesterday. It did ice for a little while, then it started raining and melted everything away. We still have tons of snow, though, up to two feet in some spots. I can't wait until that's melted. It was very pretty at first, but now it's just, well, ugly and depressing.

Around here we don't plant annuals until after Mother's day. The only thing that really grows before that are cabbages and cold-weather veggies. My birthday and Mother's day are usually in the same week, so I use that as an excuse to go to the garden center and load up. I love impatiens too; I think I'll plant white ones in the bed under the Maple tree this year. They take a lot of water but they are so pretty there in the shade. Out front I plant New Guinea Impatiens under the Japanese Maple. With fertilizer, they grow into 2-foot bushes by mid-summer. Now you guys have me all excited to start gardening!

Edited by - n/a on 02/26/2007 09:13:36
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixie, when's your birthday? Both my girls were born in early May - May 8 and 10. So Mother's Day almost always falls near one of their birthdays. Which was really sweet and wonderful the years they were born - a bit of a pain now scheduling their birthday parties.

I checked out your profile - love the favorite quote! Waggawagga can be an honorary member of SINUS. On a completely pointless note - wouldn't you love to see AR as Snape doing some real tap-dancing? That would be a scene to treasure.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  20:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was listening to a story on CNN about the national sorority Delta Zetas kicked a bunch of girls out of some university's chapter in Indiana because they weren't pretty enough. All the overweight and minority girls were kicked out. Something about wanting to not be viewed as the "geek" sorority as they had been known on campus. I laughed because at my university the Delta Zetas had a reputation for doing anything and everything. Their nickname was the "Easy DZs". All the sorority girls on campus had a bit of a reputation, but they had the worst. I never had a desire to pledge any sorority. My university has an annual attendance of about 5,000 students and only a few hundred are actually in the Greek organizations. They've gotten such a bad rap around here that they have trouble pledging. I had to work with them in grad school because of my job and they were interesting, to put it politely. A friend of mine was a Criminal Justice major and he had a project where he had get a number of similar looking people's pictures for a mock line-up. We all joked that he should have just stood outside a sorority with his camera. *looks around* No offense to anyone in the greek organizations.

Edited by - Jokelly on 02/26/2007 20:37:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  23:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My birthday is May 16 which is usually within a week of Mother's Day. My brothers' birthdays are on the 6th and 11th, so we had quite a few shared parties for both birthdays and Mother's Day. It's a great time of year for parties, though, so the more the merrier! We Tauruses are both practical and indulgent like that, I guess.

Edited by - n/a on 02/26/2007 23:37:21
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  03:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad news everyone. A suicide bomber blew himself up outside Baghram Airbase in Afghanistan, killing four people, including one American soldier, but failed to kill Dick Cheney.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  04:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
:( :( :(

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Sad news everyone. A suicide bomber blew himself up outside Baghram Airbase in Afghanistan, killing four people, including one American soldier, but failed to kill Dick Cheney.

*Snort*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.