Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  14:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know about the Jacks. One of my aunts got one from the same litter as another aunt. The two dogs, though both females, looked nothing alike-- different build, fur type, ruff-- even different temperaments. That kind of thing is what made it so hard for them to get recognized by the AKC. You can't have a breed standard to fairly judge against when there isn't a true standard.
Jack's aren't the only dogs with a different name in the US. I've watched Crufts on TV and the commentators were constantly saying "this is known as x in the US." They also do not allow docking of tails or ears, I believe (the way it should be IMO), or food baiting on the show floor.
Another of my aunts raised show Chow Chows. Cute as puppies, but I really didn't like them much.

Both our boys are mutts. I am not capable of a visit to the pound-- too much of a sucker for the puppy pout. I'd be in tears in seconds flat.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  15:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan of mutts - we've always had pound puppies. I can't see paying someone to breed dogs when so many unwanted dogs get euthanized each year. And our mutts have always been great - healthy, sweet, loyal and smart. What more can you ask?

Of course, we got our bunny that same way - someone looking to get rid of it! The poor thign was a preschool bunny, kept in a 2x3 foot cage outside. Even now, she/he (we don't know) scarcely moves much - just hops around a little, then stretches out for a spell - she has a whole room to explore and just doesn't want to. I know they say bunnies need exercise but I think this one was probably raised in a cage.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 06/25/2006 15:10:18
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  15:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is unusual! All of our bunnies have been house rabbits and extremely curious-- but then we did get them as kits so they wouldn't know any different. "Under" was one of their favourite places to explore. When Wisty and Sniff were little, we had to close off the underside of our sofa with large cardboard strips tucked up under the skirting.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  15:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie

WistyWoo! Does our new home have its very own "furry little problem?" (In the words of James Potter and Remus Lupin)

She's me not in the mood to be admin. But yes, she could be a furry little problem, when she wanted to be. If you could see my sofa you'd understand. She had a thing for fibers whether it was the upholstery, my mother's pants leg, Sniffer's whiskers/eyebrows, or our hair.

Did everybody notice, Pesky has had her case review!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  16:40:06  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
dobbygirl asked:
quote:
*snorts with laughter*

Did Twit just hop up to the dog and start munching on fur? Or am I just imagining things wrong?

No, that's pretty much it. The dog, who was very old, would be resting peacefully on the kitchen floor, and Twit would come up and start getting a bit friendly, and nibbling on the dog's fur. She didn't actually climb on the dog, though she may have tried it when we first got her--didn't go well, if I remember. Holly, the dog (part cocker spaniel and part terrier) was so even tempered and only ever growled at the bunny. Twit, being a bunny of very little brain when we first got her, wasn't bright enough to take the hint--I used to have to remove her from the dog. But it never went beyond the warning growl, so we left them together and things were fine. I don't know if Twit was trying to groom the dog or just what she had in mind. Strange rabbit, but cute and her IQ improved with age.

Siobhan said:
quote:
Nowadays, with teaching Eilish out in the Haven, shuttling to karate and tai chi, and Husband's office in a separate building, I feel we aren't inside enough to keep a bunny happy-- they are very social little creatures. It is also much easier to take two week holidays, or weekends away from home, too. Asking a neighbor to take care of the dogs is one thing. Nearly everyone can do that. A bunny is a different matter, though. So for now, at least, the rational side wins. Though every trip to the rabbit exhibit at the fair-- so many adorable little fuzzy faces and gentle brown eyes-- is so very tempting....

Oh, I know--Twit would be so grumpy when we went away for a long weekend or on a trip. Our neighbor did the bunny-sitting, and she was fine, but she usually brought her son with her, and he was too little and poked Twit in the eyes and she did nothing about it. Grrrr. So after that, I hated leaving her, but we sometimes had to do it. Our dog was never happy being left either, or our cat when we had a cat.

Trips are easier, but this is the first time I've not had some furry pet in my house--feels odd and sometimes lonely. But I think I'm done. However, it is hard to go to the fair and see all those bunnies. It makes me wish we had another bunny. (As far as we knew, Twit was a Holland lop or at least part Holland lop. She had the short floppy ears that she could move independently--one up, one down--quite entertaining. And she was black and white. We think she was 9 years old, but that's a guess; like all our pets, we found her when she wandered our way and was never claimed when we advertised.)

Here's a page with pictures of all our pets--including the dog that I had when I was little:

http://home.comcast.net/~eeyore6771/Pets.htm

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 06/25/2006 16:42:10
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  17:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question for all the bunny owners. We used to have one, my sister bought it at a farm auction (if you've never been to one it's an experience everyone should go through...just weird) and she brought it home and it would go in the cat's litter box. The first day we had it, it hopped right in and did it's business. We were all shocked. We didn't know you could house train bunnies like that. Do your bunnies go in a litter box like a cat does?

After that bunny passed away we didn't get another. But I do have a cat and dog right now. Although the cat is in deep water for knocking a ceramic plate of mine off my computer armoire this morning and breaking it. All because he wanted to lay down and stretch out up there. He'll do whatever he wants anyway...he's a cat.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/25/2006 17:24:22
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  18:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, bunnies are fairly easy to litter train. By nature they leave most of their droppings in one corner of a hutch anyways. If you leave a litter box there, they'll use it. When we first introduced the girls to their new home box, Wisty was a little confused. She used the hay bowl instead.
That said, don't expect a bunny to be perfect. They do tend to leave pellets around, but they are easily vacuumed. We had to stop using a litter box after a while because Sniff would try to do some early morning (3 am) excavating. Ended up just tossing a little litter in the corner.
Oh, almost forgot. Clay, wood shavings, and regular cat litter are no-nos for bunnies. Rabbits have very sensitive respiratory systems and those kinds of litter are bad for them. We used a recycled paper pellet product (that couldn't be shredded and eaten ).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  18:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I've heard of people training small breed dogs (Poms, terriers, etc) to go in litter boxes. PetSmart even carries a line of litter boxes and litter made for dogs. The boxes are bigger than cat ones and the litter is made out of a cardboard material.

I've had my share of mutts and purebreeds over the years. The main reason I've gone with purebreeds lately is all the local shelter usually has is large dogs. My house is small and my yard isn't fenced in (yet). The best dog I ever owned was mixed, she was Pom and Poodle. She looked like a little Irish setter and was so smart! I miss her.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  21:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some tea!
Ah, that's better.... I've just been reading the who's going to die topic and feel a bit depressed by the whole thing.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  21:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, Siobhan - to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. Cheer up - they'll be meeting lots of loved ones on the other side of the curtain.

I think the most depressing thing for me is - this will be the last HP book. But again, it's a new adventure - JKR won't stop writing and who knows what wonderful worlds she has in mind to discover next. It won't be HP, but it'll be great.

Have some tea-cake while you're at it. It's chocolate.. it really helps.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  10:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it's depressing to start thinking of all the posiblities. I feel rather like a harpie or a vulture just waiting for someone to die. And don't start me thinking about this book being the last.
Anybody worried that the whole thing will end unsatisfactorily?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. I have great faith in JKR. She hasn't disappointed me yet. I'm sure some people will be dissatisfied with some aspects of the ending, she's already said some people won't like it but... it's her world, she's done pretty well by it so far.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  17:48:49  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading and discussing more of the Dumbledore-faked-death theories, and am thoroughly depressed if JKR goes that route. Can't think about it any more today.

So, back to bunnies and litter boxes. Twit was easily directed to a litter box once we got one. But when we first found her we had nothing for her to use and she finally couldn't wait any longer and used Sarah's lap as her litter box. Sarah never quite forgave her for that one. And we used the paper pellet version as well. Worked quite well. The other thing about bunnies, compared to cats is that the smell is less if you keep up with cleaning it out regularly.

Bunnies really are quite easy if you keep them from hurting themselves on electrical cords or from getting colds. And no fruits or veggies that are going to give them gas as they can't burp and get rid of it. (Lettuce also doesn't do much for them--too much makes them have to spend more time than they should in the litter box, and it's kind of useless nutritionally anyway.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  20:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, just wanted to let you know that I'll be going off (leaving Friday) for the weekend. Will be back on Wednesday. Family is taking a holiday in the mountains- woooot!
I doubt I'll be on during that time, so keep an eye out for rampaging hippogriffs or swarms of pixies.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  22:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun, Siobhan! We'll hold down the fort for you.
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  19:25:24  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have a lovely holiday, Siobhan. Oops, just reallzed that you may have left already. Well, anyway--have fun.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  04:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today I have learned two new types of knitting - double knitting and knitting in the round on a single circular needle. How cool am I?

I also went to the market and bought mussels and prawns and all manner of good stuff. I also made my own Thai green curry paste, which smells divine and which will be trialled this week.

Busy bee am I.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  05:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*cough*nana*cough*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  10:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Today I have learned two new types of knitting - double knitting and knitting in the round on a single circular needle. How cool am I?

OOoo! That's cool! I only knitt one way, and everyone teases me.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Joyful
Giddy

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  11:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Joyful's Homepage  Click to see Joyful's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*points and laughs at SweetPea*

Order of the Bookmark
Do you know that everytime you're near, everybody else seems far away?
So can you come and make them disappear?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually knit with circular needles, even when I don't knit in the round. I can't stand regular needles now. They seems so long and awkward. I knit left-handed (i.e. I work the stitches from right needle onto the left needle). Only problem is I can't follow patterns so I make up my own. Pretty easy since the only thing I can make are scarves and hats.

Joyful, I wrote on the Dreams thread how much I love you avatar. He's just so adorable you want to pinch his cheeks and eat him up.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  18:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

I've been reading and discussing more of the Dumbledore-faked-death theories, and am thoroughly depressed if JKR goes that route. Can't think about it any more today.

I think I would have to hurt her if she did that. I have faith though that she won't. She has said that when someone dies, they're dead. She would not put her readers through such trauma only to resurect DD.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  20:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

*cough*nana*cough*

*pokes out tongue in thoroughly un-mod-like way* You'e beginning to sound like the Boy.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  04:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Update - hey guys, I have a goddaughter! She was born over a week ago but I only just found out.

Her name is Camille Saskia Gabrielle and she's gorgeous. I can't wait to meet her, but I don't think it will be for a few years as they're all in France.

Isn't that great! :D

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  04:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaaaw bubbly sweet!

Do you have a picture? Hope she comes Ozward before too long to meet you. She'll have a blast.

Funny thing; if I ever have a kid, I know exactly who his/her godmother would be, and oddly enough, she's an atheist too. How will you be fulfilling your sacred duty to safeguard your goddaughter's vulnurable soul?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 07/02/2006 04:38:25
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  06:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, when I was asked to be her godmother, her atheist mother said quickly 'Don't worry, it doesn't have anything to do with god! The French word doesn't even have 'god' in it!' (It's marraine.)

It's not about soul-safeguarding - it's about teaching her how to have fun.

I do have a photo, but I don't think I'll post it here. But suffice to say that she is cute and has wild brown hair! It's all sticky-uppy!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  11:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never had a godmother or godfather. None of my family has, or have had, godparents. My children probably won't have them either.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  14:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Myf! One thing you should do is corrupt her, and get her all the Harry Potter books.
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  19:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Myf. Too bad it'll be awhile before you see her. I guess you'll just have to make up for lost time once you do see her.

*whew* I think I'll have an iced coffee today....dang it's hot out!

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  00:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that - it is DANG hot! Iced coffee sound perfect. And maybe a mint chip ice cream.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.