Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  15:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it odd that Irish spring starts in February, since the harshest winter months are usually in February.

We've got dense fog here, btw, and below zero predicted tonight, so we'll probably have purdy white trees tomorrow. Not too happy with the "heavy snow" prediction for Weds, it's Ruth's birthday and I've got to travel!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  15:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's true about the irish seasons - I also like it the way the middle of the season falls at the equinox/solstice. I know it doesn't always seem to make sense weatherwise since its still so cold and will probably stay miserable til April or May. I haven't been around in a while - just got out of HP world for a little while. I read his dark materials recently and quite enjoyed it.
I think I am back into HP world now - I saw a girl wearing what I assume is a ravenclaw scarf on in Cork city a couple of weeks ago. I really wish I had bothered to finish my Gryffindor scarf - might just do that now that I am back in HP mood.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  01:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth is an Aquarius? I knew I liked her. You can tell her she was born in the absolutely most superior time of year, but she probably knows that already.

My best friend's birthday was yesterday, my father's was Monday (rather it is still Monday but he is no longer celebrating it), my birthday is Tuesday, my aunt's Wednesday. My best friend is pregnant with twins and if they come a little early they'll be fellow Aquarians, I can't hope just a little that they do!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  07:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You can tell her she was born in the absolutely most superior time of year, but she probably knows that already.

She said she knows, and then she laughed evilly.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  09:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

quote:
You can tell her she was born in the absolutely most superior time of year, but she probably knows that already.

She said she knows, and then she laughed evilly.

*cackles in the corner*

Yes, a rather suberb time of year to be born, if I do say so myself.

Holy cow is it frickin cold outside! It's -12 degrees outside, without the wind chill factored in. Earlier this morning, it was
-15 and -30 with the wind chill. Why did old man winter have to show up this year?

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, AMC, you sure know a lot of us Aquariuses.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  20:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it certainly doesn't feel like spring here. At least not this week. I have to admit a couple of weeks ago we had some mid 60 - 70* days and that definitely looked springlike. I think that's Mother Nature's little joke. She gets all the gardeners worked up then *snap* frosts everything. We've a few foolish azaleas trying to bloom with the yellow jasmine and camelias and more below freezing overnight temps forecast for the next week. When I was out hanging laundry this afternoon I checked for any signs of spring. The sunlight felt slightly warmer, but the air hasn't a hint of spring in it. I've become a bit of an expert at sensing spring and autumn/winter here out of necessity. It is very easy to miss them on their way into and out of summer.

Who is it that sells the holdiay decorations in this village? I think it's about time for a makeover-- I promise, no lurid pink!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  02:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Siobhan, we've had no rain this winter but we had a nasty frost and I've lost so many plants. The camelias and azaleas have been completely unperturbed but the tropicals and ficuses and mediterranean-climate plants are in sad shape.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  03:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Happy happy happy - today was about 36C/98F. Noice.

I went to the cricket yesterday - it was a day/night match, so we were there for about 8 hours. Seems stupid in retrospect, but it was lots of fun.

Hey, I forgot to mention something - I have a stash of apple butter! After our pre-Christmas discussions about what on earth it is, Theo sent me a box with a jar each of apple, cherry and peach butter, plus honey and pecan butter. I've started the apple butter - it's gorgeous. Now I know what you're all going on about!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  06:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather is lovely here, a little bit below zero at night and about 4 during the day, with bright sunshine. Although the plants are confused here too, and there are plenty of frozen flowers around. I even saw a butterfly yesterday.

I found where the usual Lancashire weather has buggered off to: to Paris, where I'm going next week (just to Disneyland, what a waste of money, but I promised, so ...)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a bit cold here today; -1F here right now with wind chills running to -20. School was delayed two hours, which was great on a Monday morning. At least the sun is bright and the snow is fresh and white from the wind ... very pretty to look at out the window. It's a great day to stay inside and .
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  11:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read or "read?"

I know, I'm supposed to be working on Valentine's decs....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  17:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tea! A pouffe! Happiness is!

What an outrageous flurry of exclamation marks to herald my return.

Hello folks long time no see - I've been at work. I have had to raise some cash to have my roof replaced (to stop it raining on my landing)and thus I have been working all hours of the day doing two jobs since the autumn. I stopped just before Christmas actually, but then spent about 3 weeks asleep and then the last couple emailing friends just to let them know I hadn't died. I once actually washed up whilst asleep (I think). Impressive huh?

Anyway, I'm going to spend as much time as I possibly can loafing in the tearoom and doing absolutley nothing until July, when I might stir myself to pick up a book...

Do we still have our house elf? I could do with more tea, and moving would be too much effort.

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  17:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NUGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long time, no see! Welcome back!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  17:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Back Nuggy!!!!! *hugs**hugs**hugs*

The elf is over at SINUS, still up to old tricks. So glad to have you back to loaf with!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  18:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you again, Nuggy!
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  20:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Happy happy happy - today was about 36C/98F.

Hey, could you send some of that heat up this way? Brrrrrrrr. It's still below zero with the wind chill but the regular temp during the day was 4. They canceled school on both Monday and Tuesday. I haven't heard if they're canceling for tomorrow yet.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  22:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! Nice Valentine's background, Siobhan!

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  02:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the enthusiastic welcome folks - tis much appreciated. *hugs* all round.

This background is very slinky I have to say; I feel that Severus may not be able to avoid the passions it stirs in some of our members. I wonder if Orchi will pop in for one of her belly-grams they were fantastic.

I see Myf has been celebrating her summer temperatures. I'm currently eating breakfast and there is freezing fog outside. Walking to work should be a pleasant experience today.

I have set myself a challenge to use all the smileys on the board within the next fortnight - you have been warned

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  03:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
NUGGY!

*launches self at her and knocks over the table, tea and biscuits*

Great to see you! *hugs*

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  06:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuggy! Hurrah! Welcome back!

Today is the last day of my holidays, and I'm secretly semi-glad, though no doubt within a week I'll be complaining about being over-worked.

I love the Valentine's background, Siobhán. Nice one!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*hurls self back at Myf*

*grabs Bee with outstretched arm*

*HUGS*

Hello chums!

Tempted to pass round the bottle of Firewhisky in celebration here.

It is cold here and they are threatening us with the worst weather since 1980-something. 1988 I think. I do actually remember this famously bad weather, but can't quite locate it in time. It is supposed to snow several inches. I know, gosh. There are countries which have several feet of snow annually.

The best thing about weather being on the news is that all news bulletins have reporters standing outside being buffeted by the elements saying really profound things like:
'yes it's really cold out here' and 'everyone should stay indoors'.

Cold weather is definitely my favourite news story. It just gets funnier. You'd think you were watching a spoof or comedy programme, - but it is the BBC just not getting the joke. And of course, your reporters have to outdo each other by standing and reporting in even more terrible conditions, so you have them in natural wind tunnels, or on the edge of moors, or at the coast.

Anyone fancy a biscuit? - I don't think they have too much carpet fluff on them despite having taken a tumble when the table went over.

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must be a worldwide media phenomenon. They do the same thing here. The hurricanes are especially amusing. You can tell just how much seniority the reporters have by who gets outside duty.

Hmmm. For some reason I feel more like hot chocolate today.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  14:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's sleety outside. My toes are cold. Bring on the firewhiskey, I say!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooo, it looks like we are all ready for Valentine's Day. I can almost taste the chocolates.

Now if I could just find that box that I hid away that Terry brought back from Germany the last time he was there.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  02:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a whole centimetre or two of snow on the ground this morning. I vote for hot choclate with Firewhisky. Apparently the entire West Midlands has been shut due to snow. Trying not to feel too jealous....

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  05:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just realised it's pelting with snow outside. I live on a ground floor flat, so I keep my curtains drawn. It's something of a miracle when London gets snow, and it usually means the entire city goes into hibernation because London Transport can't cope.

Hot chocky in the Teashop, but for my actual body, a cup of sweet tea will have to do.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  09:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell me, why does the Underground not run when it's, um, Underground?

3 inches and the entire South East grinds to a halt ...

We didn't get snow. The only other areas in Britain that got snow were part of Wales and Derbyshire (which isn't even on the news).

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  13:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love a little snow to shut down the city for one day...

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  14:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a bit nervous about driving in this weather. It was okay today, but it's supposed to get colder. I've never driven in ice or snow. And spiking my hot chocolate with firewhiskey is hardly going to help matters. Oh well.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.