New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  05:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, how are we? I've been a bit absent lately, what with moving to a house with no internet. But it's all hooked up again, hallelujah!

Living with my sister is going pretty well - the two kids are cute and very obedient, they don't come into Aunty Myf's room unless invited! Well, the older one anyway - the little one can't even sit up yet!

Uni and everything else is going well too. I even scored myself a free trip to Europe this year, plus an apartment's worth of furniture. I am very very very spoilt. And lucky.

Anyway, I have plenty to catch up on - I'll be back soon.

Pumpkin biscotti for all.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm back. Anyone miss me?

I've been in hospital for the last six days, having woken up Monday last in agonising pain which, after an ultrasound, revealed itself as a passed gallstone. According to my auntie, passing a gallstone is the equivalent in pain to giving birth, so now I can sympathise with any future wives I may have. I'm OK now; still a bit queasy but in no pain, which is nice. How is everybody?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch, diri, sounds painful. Glad you're home and on the mend.

Speaking of medical stuff, another one of my cousins has got diabetes, and now I'm freaking myself out googling it and wondering how thirsty is suspiciously thirsty (I get thirsty a lot). I am such a hypochondriac.

Free trip to Europe! That's so cool (or at least as cool as a free trip to Australia would seem to me). Whereabouts are you headed?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey diri - ouch! Glad you're feeling better too. My dad had them - he first felt the pain while he was driving, so he pulled over, called my mum and told her that he was about to call an ambulance because he was dying. :)

I'm currently in a bidding war on eBay for a first edition Douglas Adams book - The Deeper Meaning of Liff. This will have to be my last bid - I wasn't looking for a first edition collectable, just a copy. I think I need to wait until I can afford to keep outbidding people before I start collecting first editions.

Bee, I'm heading to Copenhagen with the Boy, to stay in his parents' apartment before they sell it. Not sure when it will be - sometime between September and Christmas, probably. Something to look forward to!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch Diri ... what an awful thing to go through! Did they remove your gallbladder too? My grandmother had to have hers taken out on Christmas Eve when she was 90 years old, and I also know a lot of people who had theirs out in their 30's. Hope you feel better soon!

Wow, Myf, your trip sounds exciting! Now I have Danny Kaye in my head singing "Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen." I must dig up that movie and watch it so I stop thinking about it.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, sorry to hear you've been unwell, Diri. My mum had her gallbladder removed in 1976 (I remember that because she always blamed the celebratory bicentennial bagel she ate-- it was coloured blue). Had years of discomfort previous to that, though.

Myf, you need to become a sniper to win at the price of your choosing on ebay. Snipers watch the auctions until the last few minutes (five or less), then enter their highest proxy bid. From there they hit refresh every few seconds and watch the battle. It helps cut down the way over-budget bidding that happens when the urge to win takes over.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't bid on eBay; the day I spend money on the internet is the day I stand in the middle of a Marrakesch bazaar and yell out my credit card details to passers by.

So, any non-Brits catch the whole "Celebrity Big Brother/racism accusation/diplomatic incident with world's largest democracy" thing?

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 01/31/2007 13:24:35
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so upset Dirk Benedict didn't win. *sniffs*

Believe me, the Internet is no more unsafe moneywise than a normal bank is. My bank gave my ex 17,000 of my spondoolies and then took several months to rectify the problem. I wonder what would have happened if a) a very helpful bank person who knows my ex hadn't told him and b) my ex hadn't been so honest about it.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shop on ebay and the internet constantly - never had a problem. Applied for a home refinance, someone stole my information from the loan documents and suddenly, I'm the victim of identity theft. I'd say the internet is safer than real-life banking!

Ouch Diri! So sorry, glad you're okay now.

Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen, Salty old Queen of the Sea! once I sailed away, now I'm home today singing Copenhagen, Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen for me! That's from memory.

I second Siobhan on sniping - if you're serious about buying, never bid before the last 20 seconds of an auction.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 01/31/2007 13:51:44
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  16:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But what if the person has put up a maximum bid? eg. the book I wanted was $9 when I came along, and it turned out the person had put up $20 for it, which meant that I had to go through a lot of tedious bidding and finding out I was outbid - if you bid in the last 20s, there's no chance of winning in that situation. I eventually won the thing - at around $25, which is more than I would have paid for a copy in a shop, although now I will have hardcover, and a first edition to boot. So I'm happy about that, and I think it's worth it, given that a new paperback would have been $20. Books are frightfully expensive here.

Diri, I shop online quite a lot. I get stuff cheaper than I can buy here, and the range is great. Never had one problem - unlike my sister, who had some ID details stolen through her RL bank.

Yay, Copenhagen!

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  16:32:19  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Diri, I hope you are feeling better now--that must have been an experience and a half.

I've shared this with Siobhan by PM, but thought it's about time to put it here as well. I haven't been around much lately because we've been spending a lot of time at doctor's appointments. Terry had a colonoscopy on January 3, and they found a tumor, and yes, it is cancer. The cancer has also spread to one lymph node near the cancer, and now they have found a small "spot" on his liver.

So after a month of testing for more information, he is ready to start on the treatments tomorrow. He'll have 28 treatments (5 days a week) of radiation at the same time he is getting chemotherapy. The chemo apparently is low dose and helps enhance the results of the radiation, which is the reason they do them together. We'll learn a lot more about the chemo this afternoon, as he has a "teaching" session and they suggest bringing someone along--more ears to get it all.

Then after a month of rest, he'll have surgery to remove that section of his colon--even if the tumor is "killed", they take out the affected part, just in case there were any cancer cells that escaped. And after the surgery, he'll have to have about 6 months of chemotherapy--just to make sure they got it all.

There is also the matter of what is on his liver, but they are treating the known larger problem first, so we aren't even talking about what that one will involve.

I think that knowing how many people at our church as well as our family and friends are praying for us is probably the most helpful thing right now. And I'm staying in touch with some of the Harry Potter forums I'm on--it's a good diversion, and gives me something to think about besides doctors, appointments, and all that Terry will be going through.

So if I disappear for a while, it's just that we are busy with real life.

TTFN

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  16:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, I'm not one to pray, but if it will help, I'll start. Sorry to hear they found more "spots." Perhaps the chemo and radiation will help with the liver area, too. I just don't know enough about all the cancer treatments to know how they work. I've known people to be treated and be cancer free for a very long time afterwards-- especially if they are younger and in realtively good health to begin with. Frame of mind seems to play a role, too.

In other health news, Husband's business partner seems to have a rare type of ALS that affects only the legs (this according to his speciallist). He will become wheelchair bound (estimating) this year, but the condition is not expected to degenerate.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  17:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - bad news!

I'm so sorry Eeyore, that's very scary and I know chemo is awful to live through. On the bright side, as difficult as aggressive cancer therapy is to get through, lots of people do get through and live on cancer-free which is wonderful. They have made such tremendous advances in cancer treatment, it's really miraculous. I know a lot of cancer survivors and I'm hoping Terry's was caught early. I'll send my best thoughts your way.

Myf, on the frivolous side - what you do when you snipe is you really determine in advance the max you would pay for an item - and you bid it. One bid, one shot so you really think about it before you bid. You don't necessarily pay that max, mostly you win it at a good price or lose it entirely. People get caught up in the bidding wars and sometimes end up paying far more for an item than they could buy it for outright! But I'm glad you got your book, that's fun.

Edited by - AMC on 01/31/2007 23:42:43
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  17:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, you and Terry will be in my thoughts and prayers! *hugs*
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  23:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear of Terry's cancer diagnosis, Eeyore. I hope he makes a full recovery.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  23:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, what is ALS? Is that Lou Gherig's?

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  00:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, Eeyore, what a difficult time for you. Like Siobhan, I'm not really into praying either, but be assured that you and Terry will be in my thoughts. I hope everything goes all right - it sounds like you have some good medical help.

Let us know how it goes, if you get the time. And I'm so glad that you've decided to keep up with some of your other activities - so often, people are so busy caring for someone who's ill that they forget to care for the carer. Look after yourself and good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  01:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Eeyore, I'm so sorry to hear about Terry. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Do be sure to take care of yourself and let us know how things are going. *Hugs*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  03:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry Eeyore. I hope Terry gets better; even though the cancer's already travelled it looks like the doctors caught it relatively early, which is a relief.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  09:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Eeyore, I'm so sorry to hear about Terry. Please know that you'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the IKEA idea, but I think the closest store is in either Milwaukee or Chicago and while I probably could order them over the internet, I'd hate to see what the shipping charges would be.

I'm actually happy with my cable company (for now anyway). We recently got On Demand a feature that allows you to watch movies and certain regular programs pretty much whenever you want. I don't watch the pay-per-view movies but they do have a long list of select programs you can watch for free. The other day I watched two episodes each of Passport to Europe and Most Haunted. Granted, they were older episodes, but I hadn't seen them. My favorite though was watching Extras on HBO On Demand. Brillant! I must find that show on DVD.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  11:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear about Terry, Eeyore. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  12:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dobbygirl
[The other day I watched two episodes each of Passport to Europe and Most Haunted.

Is Passport the Samantha Brown show on the Travel Channel? She has my dream job ... Wouldn't you love to travel all over the world, stay at great hotels, eat at distinctive restaurants, and see fabulous sights for a living? I wouldn't be too eager to have the rest of the world see me in a swimsuit, though! I still drool with envy when when I watch that show; most of her travels are out of reach of the average American (like me).
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  12:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Siobhan, what is ALS? Is that Lou Gherig's?

Yes. As I understand it, there is no certain way to diagnose it other than ruling out what it definitely is not. So there's an element of uncertainty along with the idea that "Hey, there's something wrong, but it is most likely serious."

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  14:12:45  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone. You guys are great. I really do appreciate your support.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  16:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we've talked about what time we get different seasons in different parts of the world before, but I'm confused. I caught the beginning of some silly English daytime talkshow today, and the presenter said was the first of February, meaning that it's now Spring in Ireland. Uh, is it not Spring in the UK yet? I assumed we changed our seasons at the same time...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  17:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some countries dumb it down and change on the first of the month (eg. the start of summer, autumn, winter and spring in Australia is the first day of December, March, June and September). Some change around 3 weeks later, about the 21st of the month, which is more accurate.

Is that about right?

Either way, spring shouldn't arrive in the northern hemisphere until March 1 or 21ish.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  18:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked it up, and we are the only Northern Hemispherians (probably not a real word) currently in spring. Weird! I never knew that. It's a Celtic thing. Our seasonal changes coincide with pagan holidays; hence spring begins on February 1st, summer on May 1st, autumn on August 1st, and winter on November 1st. I already knew that, but I didn't quite carry the thought through and realise that in non-Celtic countries that wouldn't be the case. In hindsight: duh. But I'm still surprised. I can't believe it's still Winter in England! Suckers!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  19:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny, I would have thought the pagans would have liked changing seasons at the solstices, like we Christian countries do. LOL - I'd bet it's the opposite Bee, that Ireland refused to recognize the Pagan holidays and set their seasons to something the Catholics thought more seemly. Because OUR seasons do change with Pagan holidays - those associated with the Sun. The Summer Solstice is about June 21 (beginning of Summer here) and the Winter Solstice is Dec 21. Autumn and Spring start on or around the Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes (March 21 and August 21). Those aren't arbitrary dates, they represent the end and middle points in our annual trip around the sun.

Edit: Nope - I checked! You change seasons on pagan holidays... and so do we! just different pagan holidays??? Dang, those pagans liked to party.

Edited by - AMC on 02/01/2007 20:01:07
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  20:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie
Is Passport the Samantha Brown show on the Travel Channel?

Yes it is! I sooooo love that show and yes that would be a totally awesome job. I like watching it because I know I'll never get to any of those places she visits.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  16:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
Edit: Nope - I checked! You change seasons on pagan holidays... and so do we! just different pagan holidays??? Dang, those pagans liked to party.

Yep, gotta love those pagans! The way we do it, the solstices and equinoxes fall in the middle of the seasons. I like it that way - it means that say, for example, the summer builds up to a crescendo in terms of daylight hours, peaking in the middle before ebbing away again. It's nice! Plus it means that Midsummer, is, y'know, actually in the middle of summer. Which makes sense.

I've got that spring feeling today. Just went for a walk on the beach.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.