Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  06:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about reading, I just watched Lost in Translation, and both protagonists just sat around staring out of the window a lot. I kept thinking "why don't you go read a book?"

My partner is a veritable vat of HP knowledge.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  08:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't read, so I'm big on staring out windows when there's nothing else to do. Maybe that's why I liked Lost in Translation.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  10:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cat was big on staring out of windows. She was very active though. I think she was taking names down-- "First, I'll eat you, then you, then you, and who could forget you!?"

Ever look at those fancy home magazines and wonder where all the books are?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  11:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Books are decor no-nos, unless they all have coordinating matching covers. And don't dare bring in paperbacks. Alot of decorators say pare down and get rid of most because you don't need them. Keep only what you know you'll read again and then often store then in baskets. If I had a house that actually had both a family room and living room (nobody I know has both unless they redid and finished their basement) then I'd have one with tons of bookcases. I just love the floor-to-ceiling look of bookcases.

You should have seen my mom's reaction watching those decorating shows that told you to throw out all your photo negatives because you can get digital copies. She was a photographer and that is a definate no-no for photographers from the pre-digital age.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/22/2007 12:02:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  14:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think books are beautiful! I remove the gaudy paper jackets before I put them in the bookcase, though. That way, even if they don't match, they do coordinate relatively well. When we redecorated our living room a year ago, we added tall bookcases to cover most of one wall. They balance out the windows at the opposite end, and make the whole room feel warm and cozy. Now I'm working on collecting enough quality hardbacks to fill them all. (Old textbooks don't count!) I expect that project will occupy many happy years.

The houses in decorating magazines must be large enough to have a dedicated office/study where most of the books are kept. Lucky rich people!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  15:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Siobhan - does your cat read?

Pottery Barn put out a catalog last year featuring bookcases filled with hard-cover books - all facing backwards, so the bookshelf was a symphony in off-white. Very beautiful but I looked at it and laughed and laughed! How would you FIND anything to read? And why would you keep that many dust-collecting books if you don't read them? Decorators are nuts!

We have about 8 floor to ceiling bookshelves taking up a total of 40 feet of wall space filled with books. Decorators would hate my house.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 01/22/2007 15:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  15:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. Giddy did read-- mostly bird field guides.

Backwards books! Designers have no use for books other than aesthics. I'd never be able to deal with an interior designer. I know what I like and what I can live with. Books are a definite necessity-- even if I don't read them every year. We have an encyclopaedia from 1952. Before you laugh yourselves sane, it DOES have its uses. Just a couple of months ago I needed to look up some information on Napoleon. The computers were off so I got down the dusty old tome. It told me exactly what I needed to know. The only problem was that once I started reading it was very difficult to stop.

My college texts work out fine for most designers. I got my Bachelor's Degree in History of Art. The texts double as coffee table books.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  16:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I sadly parted with my 24-volume set of the 1940s Encyclopedia Brittanica a few years ago. It was a wrench but I finally decided of all the family treasures I was keeping, they had the least sentimental value. I loved picking up the books and reading a 60-year-old perspective on politics or fashion but they took up a lot of space for the amount of use they got.

My college texts would never work for any kind of interior design - they generally bind Math and Science texts in the brightest, most garish color combinations possible - the better to keep the students awake, perhaps. Or maybe it's just that geeks have no taste.

Edited by - AMC on 01/22/2007 16:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  19:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid, my Dad bought me a full set of Children's Brittanica off some fella. They turned out to have been published in 1960, but I still loved them. Of course, I used to read the dictionary when I was younger as well - I was easily entertained. I still have them on my bookshelf.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  21:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I googled the Pottery Barn backwards books. Evidently I don't pay too much attention to the Pottery Barn catalog when it comes in the mail, not that I can actually afford anything that's in it.

So here it is:

I just shake my head sometimes. Did you know there are places that sell books by the foot? Old books that are color matched so interior decorators can use them in their decorating. You might now be able to read the language of the book you get, but at least it matches your sofa. http://www.bookdecor.com/pricing.html
What will they think of next?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  22:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's crazy! Books can be decorative, but what's the fun of having a book collection if you haven't or can't read them? On that note, I think it's fun to check out other people's bookcases. It's like taking a glimpse into their minds. The books people keep say more about them then what's in their medicine cabinet. (I've never looked in anyone else's medicine cabinet, though!)

I come from a family that read encyclopedias and dictionaries for fun too. I remember conversations like, "Where's the 'S' volume of the World Book? I need it for a report." "I think your Dad is reading it, check by his nightstand." There were a few old art textbooks around our house too. I'm sorry to say that they got horribly graffitied by my brothers ... especially the scantily clad women.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  23:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, my bookcase says a lot about me. That I'm messy and unorganized. I swear someday I'm going to go through them and organize everything. I was just thinking the other day that I need to buy some more bookcases for my bedroom.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  00:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IKEA bookcases rock - they're cheap, nice looking and they last really well. Okay, they aren't stylin' but.. I think we've already established that we put books before perfect home decor...

My bookcase say I'm organized, impulsive and live with 3 other people who like books. Hmm - 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I'm really only organized when it comes to books.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  11:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Did you know there are places that sell books by the foot? Old books that are color matched so interior decorators can use them in their decorating. You might now be able to read the language of the book you get, but at least it matches your sofa.

That's as silly as choosing a print for your wall because it matches the sofa, regardless of whether the art is to your liking.
I'd rather display books for their content, but I also have a collection of old books that have beautiful embossed cloth covers that I do not display. It all started with a set of poetry books that we found in my grandparents' attic and blossomed from there. I also have a photo book from the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. All of these books I treat with care and keep in a closed cupboard. There are other books that I have kept simply because I like them. I do not keep books that I did not like, though. Those get donated to the library fund raiser.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  14:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't they used to write the title of the book on the pages? I mean, not on the back of the book, but on the opposite side, the bit that's facing forward on the books in that picture.

I have a fair few books with nice covers, since I always used to buy my reading books second hand (until the second hand English bookshop closed, sigh).

My bookcase is full (it's already stacked three deep). I haven't got room for another one. Help!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  17:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever read "The Library", Starling? It's a children's picture book about someone who collects books and eventually has so many she has to face the awful fact - she could not have one more. I love it, it's one of my favorites.

I've never heard of writing titles on the page-end of a book.

I have a shelf of old novels - books from the early 1900s for the most part. But even then, they're books I read not books for show. You have to earn your place in my bookshelf

Hmm - just wondered if I should re-read this last set of posts as if they were on the Stephen Fry topic... we wouldn't buy books just because they look nice in our homes, we keep our old books around, we'd all have even more books if we just had room.. yep. That sounds about right.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  18:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, AMC. Everything reverts back to that, doesn't it.

Maybe I should post this in the Stephen Fry thread, but I've found there are a lot of books in the big hunting and fishing stores. I had to go into one in the mall during Christmas looking for something my dad asked me to find and I was the only female in the back of the store. It was kind of weird, like all the men in the mall were congregated in one place. It felt sort of like walking into the men's bathroom by mistake (which I have done in the past).

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  18:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the SWA TV ad - Wanna get away?

Jo, SI.com is reporting that Cowher is a possibility for the Cowboys coaching job, now that Mr. Parcells has announced his retirement. Can you imagine? That would be very bad...

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  00:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very bad, AMC. Cowboys are in the top 3 teams Pittsburgh hates...the Ravens and Browns being the other two. He'd have to go back on his word that he wasn't going to coach next year, but with the money that Dallas can throw at him, Cowher can afford to change his mind. Plus, the Cowboys would have to pay the Steelers and give us a few 1st round draft picks. We lost also Grimm as assistant coach. He's going with Whisenhunt to Arizon. Too many changes in one year. Most in the city are not happy with all the changes. Tomlin was the least wanted of all the candidates. He better come out of the gate with a winning season or the city will never like him.

We're also losing our professional Hockey team in Pittsburgh. No more Penguins. They're either moving them to Kansas City or Houston. They're leaving because of fighting over a new arena. Kansas City has a new arena waiting for them that's already built that they're giving to them. Sounds like a great deal on the surface, a free state-of-the-art arena, but Kansas City has a history of two losing hockey teams that ended up folding in the city because of lack of support. The Pens have a history of faithful fans and great ticket sales. Houston lost their hockey team, also. It's sad to see them go. I can't even get into it, and usually I don't mind a good hockey game, because what's the use in watching them knowing they're not going to be there next year.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  01:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Browns but only because I respect their fans. Those guys are the opposite of fair-weather fans - they've supported losing teams for YEARS only to get screwed by their owner when he took the "Browns" out of Cleveland and moved them to Baltimore. I hate the Ravens. I don't like the Patriots or the Broncos. But nothing is as deep or long-term as the grudge I hold against the Cowboys. I grew up a 49ers fan, so that explains a lot!

Sorry about the Penguins - greedy, greedy, greedy - that's pro sports team owners in 3 words. I don't care for hockey much - we have two decent teams in the area and no one here really cares. Poor guys.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  01:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, the Steelers have a love/hate relationship with the Browns. They're our biggest rivals, but when Model moved them to Baltimore, Pittsburgh was their biggest supporter to get a new team. We were also the first to play the new Browns when Cleveland got their new team, at their request. The two cities are pretty similar in demographics and personality. We just don't like to admit that to each other.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  04:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really hoping the Saints would make it into the Superbowl. I have a natural dislike of the Bears since they're in the same division as the Lions. My real hatred though is for the Packers. Even before I was a true football fan, I hated the Packers (my dad is also a Lion fan too). He hated them so much he had a t-shirt that said, "My favorite team is the Detriot Lions and who ever is playing the Green Bay Packers."

I literally have books laying all over my house. I try to keep them organized, but it's just pointless. Until I can realize my dream of building floor to ceiling bookshelves in my spare room, they'll all just have to stay where I put them. I have this obsession with buying books. I always intend to read them, but I put them on a bookshelf and forget.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  06:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've never heard of writing titles on the page-end of a book.

I read it in Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, I think, or was it Inkspell ...

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  11:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dobbygirl

He hated them so much he had a t-shirt that said, "My favorite team is the Detroit Lions and who ever is playing the Green Bay Packers."

That was me growing up with the 49ers.. and the Cowboys.

quote:
Originally posted by dobbygirl

Until I can realize my dream of building floor to ceiling bookshelves in my spare room, they'll all just have to stay where I put them.

Dobbygirl, I'm telling ya - IKEA bookshelves. They rock. You can get then up to 8 feet high and put them together in an hour. They come in different colors and are stronger than most wood bookshelves.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  11:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth's got an entire wall full of those IKEA bookshelves.

I just read the story of my friend's caesarean. Warning, not for the faint hearted.

The epidural didn't work. She refused a general anaesthetic. She had a caesarean without anything to kill the pain. Then the cord was wrapped around the neck of the baby (4 times!), and he wasn't breathing, but they took him away and brought him back looking nice and pink. I think he only stopped breating briefly because he swallowed some of the fluid. THEN my dear friend had a MASSIVE bloodclot in her womb after she'd been sewn back up, and they had to massage her uterus to get it out. Meanwhile, her blood pressure was through the roof, since she was suffering from pre-eclampsia already. It's still high, even now.

Can you say "ow"?

Daddy was so shocked by the entire birth (I want to kick the people at that hospital, not just for the bungled caesarean), he got rid of the cat, just in case he harmed the baby (poor puddy).

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  00:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why blame the poor cat? That seems unfair.

But... Ouch.

Yes that's the nice thing about IKEA bookshelves - you can AFFORD a whole wall of them! And they really do last - we bought these... 20 years ago? Yeep. I am SO OLD! I forget it sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  10:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've taken a break from my reading lately to play a video game. Daughter got Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess for Christmas and I finally got around to starting a game file for myself. I'm currently about halfway through ... have the Master Sword (it rocks!) and about half my hearts. The Zelda RPG games are great because they challenge your mind as well as your reflexes, and they're not terribly violent (Unless you're an insect lover -- You kill big bugs and spiders and ugly lizards, but that's about the worst of it). So far it's not as challenging as Ocarina of Time, but it's still a lot of fun. Plus the hero wears tights and a cute little hat ... gotta love that!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  16:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was in Middle School there used to be Legend of Zelda cartoon on in the mornings before school started. All I remember was Link and Princess Zelda.

My dad's mad at the cable company. Our local Fox Sports Net channel (FSN) is blocked. He tried to get in contact with them, but all lines are busy. They're probably moving it to their premium HD service. He's not happy about the prospect of moving, but says he refuses to sign up for the expanded service. Pretty soon I expect them to stop providing basic cable service, also.

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/29/2007 17:05:40
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  01:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I am SO in love with the idea of ala carte cable - where you pay for the channels you want and ONLY for the channels you want. The FCC has said they want cable co.s to start offering it as an option and the cable industry is resisting - they say it'll kill the little channels. I think that's crap, I think they just think they'll make more money making people pay through the nose to get one or two channels they want under the guise of "giving" them 70. They're probably right but for someone like me (or your Dad) I would pay for the 2 or 3 channels I would watch but I refuse to pay extra money to have 130 channels I hate beamed into my home... which is why we have an antenna and no cable TV in the first place!

How does the hero look in tights, is my question.

Edited by - AMC on 01/30/2007 01:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  14:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concurr heartily, AMC. They ought to let us choose what channels we want and charge us accordingly. I'd nix all the channels we have blocked-- especially the home shopping. Out of all the channels we pay for on hd digital cable, we watch only a handful. Those I'd be willing to pay for. I'd even be willing to pay for the sports channels during the Olympics. I'm sure there's a way they could charge us extra for those. The fact is that the cable companies are afraid they would lose a significant amount of money if they offered us what we want instead of what they feel like giving us. What gets me is when a customer contacts their cable provider to ask for a channel to be added to the lineup and is told that it is too expensive for the "poor" cable company to get.

We're getting ready for Puppy Bowl 2007 (with the kitten half-time show, of course). It's the only thing about Superbowl weekend that interests Daughter.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.