Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry but the whole Coke and tooth thing is a myth. Saw it on Mythbusters. Coke gets a bad rep these days, but I can tell you after spending four years in a tropical country, it has its uses.

Jo, I too fail to see the logic of diet pop. Why would anyone drink something that tastes foul, has one calorie and is loaded with carcinogenic aspartame when they could drink water? It tastes better, has no calories, and has no nasty chemicals in it (the last point is, of course, dependent on your location).

The best water I've ever had came from the Scottish Highlands, right out of the tap. You see bottled water from Scotland everywhere, but nothing comes close to what they get for free up there. I'd always heard poets speak of water tasting sweet, but I'd never understood it. I do now.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 01/11/2007 12:30:26
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, sorry Diri and myth-busters but it's not a myth that coke rots teeth! We did the experiment in elementary school, we left teeth suspended in water and coke and.. something else.. can't remember what. The coke tooth definitely got eaten away and the water-soaked tooth did not. I think the mythbusters thing was what - for one night? Our experiment lasted over weeks or months, maybe there's the difference.

I grew up drinking diet soda but I don't let my kids touch the stuff. I figure Aspartame will be associated with renal failure or some such thing in 30 years. That's the problem with "new" food or drugs - you don't really know until it's been out there for someone's lifetime what its effects can be.

Good water is awesome stuff. Our tap water is pretty bad, we drink bottled water instead.. but it's not the same as real from-the-spring water. Mountain rivers used to be wonderful to drink from but with the prevalance of grazing and giardia... hiking by a river just isn't what it used to be!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 01/11/2007 12:52:24
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  13:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm lucky that I've never developed a taste for soft drinks. I only drink water and tea (without milk - ha!). The water in my region is undrinkable - we're not even supposed to use it for rinsing fruit or brushing teeth, but I do anyway, because I've lived here all my life so I reckon I'm pretty immune to whatever's in it. I don't drink it though - it tastes horrible.

I'm halfway through my exams! Woo! Christmas feels like months ago at this stage. I had my anatomy exam today and it was pretty horrible, but I can't complain because I should've studied more for it. I've gotten terribly lazy and blase about study since I started my MSc. Ah well.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl
The best water I've ever had came from the Scottish Highlands, right out of the tap.

The best water I've ever tasted comes out of my tap. We have a natural spring so I've grown up with natural spring water my whole life. It's not Scottish Highlands water, but I do live in the foothills of the Laurel Highlands. Close enough? My neighbors used to come get water in jugs and buckets for themselves out of our spring, but since bottled water has caught on nobody does it anymore.

As for artificial sweetener, I'd rather put real sugar, that people have been digesting for thousands of years, into my body than some artifical man-made sweetener. Kind of hypocritical I know, since I eat tons of other artificial foods, but I just can't stand the after taste of any artificial sweeteners.

I'm in the mood for gardening. It's supposed to go back up in the 50s this weekend, then the bottom drops out for the rest of the month, so Saturday or Sunday I'm going to go out and start cutting back some stuff and cleaning up. Get a jumpstart on Spring. We have to put a new stone walkway in from the driveway and I want to put a few bushes in front of the house. I want them tall because the front of the house has an exposed basement. Something to cover up all the block. The swimming pool was taken down last year and I think a vegetable garden is going in there. The veggie garden is usually on top of the hill, but my dad is getting older and it's hard for him to walk up over so having it out in the back yard on level ground will be much better. Of course, we can't begin planting until May but there is much preparation work to do until then. By then I just may get some of it completed.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/11/2007 15:03:58
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't drink soft drinks at all, except for the occasional ginger beer. I was given a can of lemonade the other day but it was so sweet and horrible I tipped it out after the first mouthful. Ugh.

Our drinking water here is quite good - apparently it was getting bottled and sold at some stage. Unfortunately, we just don't have much of it! The best drinking water I've ever had, like Diri, came from Scotland, somewhere up near the north-west coast. It tasted bizarrely dry, it would just evaporate in your mouth. It was completely delicious.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  03:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canned lemonade? That sounds even worse than Coke!

Wow Jo, I'm amazed - you're trimming in January? I thought on the East you were just supposed to read seed catalogs during the winter, I guess another Coastal stereotype hits the dust. We're supposed to get RAIN here tomorrow - not much but this year, I'll take anything. I'd love to curl up and pretend it's winter but off to work I go...

*drinks herbal tea (without milk) and pretends it's her normal cuppa*

Edited by - AMC on 01/12/2007 03:04:13
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  05:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Canned lemonade? That sounds even worse than Coke!

I think there may be an Anglo-American wirecross here AMC; "Lemonade" is not the same in the Commonwealth as it is in the US. It's more like 7Up.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  09:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

I don't drink soft drinks at all, except for the occasional ginger beer.

I love ginger beer. I got completely addicted to it in Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, it's not widely available over here. Bah. I used to think it was alcoholic when I was younger - I was a bit surprised that the Famous Five kept swigging the stuff.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  10:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never knew about Lemonade being like 7Up in Australia.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me neither - but the thought of lemon juice in aluminum made my teeth hurt!

Who are/were the Famous Five?

We used to get ginger ale when we were sick, so I associate ginger drinks with staying home in bed! I guess it's not surprising I don't drink them very often...

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  12:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. It never occurred to me that Americans wouldn't know who the Famous Five are, but I suppose that is one major fragment of British culture, a bit like Blackpool Rock and David Attenborough, which lies firmly on our side of the transatlantic gulf.

The Famous Five were an interminable series of children's novels written by Enid Blyton, an authoress whose work, despite being hugely popular, hasn't aged well. Basically they're four kids and one dog who go off on a seemingly endless stream of holidays to the West Country, where they solemnly swear not to get involved in any adventures, but inadvertently end up breaking up a smuggling ring or a counterfitting gang or somesuch. On the way they eat an almost infinite amount of picnic food, and enjoy the hospitality of a Mrs Weasley-type figure, who fills them with so many high teas it's a wonder they have the energy to solve crimes.

On a more cosmic note, an astronomy forum just gave me this quick lesson on the scale of things:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=10167

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 01/12/2007 15:18:46
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarifying the lemonade thing, Diri - you're exactly right. We do sometimes have the traditional lemonade, but not often. It's usually that clear, sugary drink. In fact, the one in question (that I tipped out) was Sprite.

Diri, that video is great! Here's something to think about at the other end of the scale: it's a scale model of a hydrogen atom (http://www.phrenopolis.com/perspective/atom/) so you can see the relative size and distance of the nucleus and electron. It's incredible!

Colour me similarly boggled that not everyone in the world is born with implicit knowledge about the Famous Five. I loved Enid Blyton when I was little. She was incredibly prolific - I liked most her school stories, such as the series set in Malory Towers or in St Clare's boarding school. They were all filled with fiesty young girls, including a troublemaker, a very stuck-up girl, a sports-mad girl, a troubled genius (remember Felicity the violinist, Bee? I think she was in St Clare's), some very down to earth, 'jolly' girls and of course someone who was too pi for words.

They larked about in lessons and in games, having midnight feasts, taking exams etc. Awfully fun. I also used to read Famous Five, and they're good fun too. Diri's right about the picnic food - they have lashings of ginger beer, seed cake, thick ham sandwiches etc. Jolly good fun!

Hey, I found some book summaries:
quote:
10. Five On a Hike Together (1951)
Dick is puzzled when he's woken by a light flashing through his window. Is someone trying to send him a coded message? And when the Famous Five hear of an escaped convict in the area, they are on red alert. The police won't help, so the Five have no choice but to solve the mystery alone.

5. Five Go Off in a Caravan (1946)
On their caravan holiday, the gang are thrilled when they stumble across a circus troupe. Unfortunately some of the circus people have more sinister plans than just clowning around.

9. Five Fall Into Adventure (1950)
Julian, Dick and Anne are really worried—George and her devoted Timmy have just disappeared! Not only that, somebody has broken in to Kirrin Cottage. Could there be a connection? The Famous Five think so, but it's going to be tough getting to the bottom of this mystery.

You get the idea - full of kidnappings, smugglings, counterfeiting etc. There are 21 books in all, apparently - I've probably read 6 or 7 of them.

Also, ahahaha Bee check this out - http://www.enidblyton.net/blyton-bloopers.html. It's so funny!

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  16:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site's a bit clunky, but it's about as close to the Total Perspective Vortex as you could get.

http://www.wordwizz.com/pages/10exp0.htm

You can go either up or down from there, each time jumping by one power of ten. Sometimes the text shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. Can't see how to make it work 100 percent

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  17:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That;s very neat. Total Perspective! Isn't that the thing they got working when they plugged it into a piece of teacake, or am I thinking of the Inifinite Improbability Drive?

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  17:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
(remember Felicity the violinist, Bee? I think she was in St Clare's),

Yes, she was in St. Clare's. She used to sleepwalk and play an imaginary violin. I think she had some sort of nervous breakdown in the end and had to stay back a year. Fun times for Felicity.

Yay! Enid Blyton bloopers! Thanks Myf - this is just the thing to keep me from studying for my exam tomorrow. I love that there are people out there pondering why the butter never melted on those endless Famous Five picnic-filled jaunts.

quote:
Throughout the series, people who don't know the Five very well (Smuggler's Top, Kirrin Island Again, etc) say they are 'three boys, a girl, and a dog' because George loooks like a boy. However, in Five Have Plenty of Fun, George was kidnapped when she was putting Sally in Timmy's kennel, and the kidnappers mistook her for Berta and dragged her away. In the next chapter, after they realise what's happened, Julian says, "That's it! Actually you (Berta) look like a boy in your boy's things - but George DOESN'T, and the kidnappers are looking for a girl dressed as a boy - and George fitted the bill nicely, especially as she had the poodle with her. She's been kidnapped!" Did Blyton forget that she had always noted George looking like a boy?

I love the Famous Five so dearly.

Also, it seems Kiki liked to blow on a police-whistle? But I thought she was a parrot? Is that anatomically possible? I need to read my Adventure books again.

And OMG! Enid Blyton named Darrell Rivers after her second husband! I am seriously taken aback that she had two husbands. Uncle Quentin wouldn't stand for that sort of carry-on, I'm sure.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 01/12/2007 17:55:30
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I love that there are people out there pondering why the butter never melted on those endless Famous Five picnic-filled jaunts.

I just want to know how they managed to have so many summer holidays, and yet not actually age.

Yep. The Total Perspective Vortex was connected to a piece of fairy cake. The Infinite Improbability Drive was connected to a nice cup of tea.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  18:19:25  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's not something I ever read either--or if I did, I don't remember it.

I used to drink Coke all the time, but switched to Mountain Dew, till I found out it was even more full of caffeine. So we moved on to Sprite (which I like), but I rarely drink it anymore. That's because I'm usually drinking by tea with sugar and milk--which by my calculations, is less than 4% of my cup of tea. So some of the good stuff must still be there.

I was using Splenda for a while, when Terry and I tried the South Beach diet, but I've gone back to sugar, after Laura kept badgering me about using things that are chemically altered. She's probably right--in 30 years they'll find out it's as bad as the other sugar substitutes (which I can't stand because they taste so awful).

Our tap water is lousy--nasty tasting because it's so full of minerals. I drink it anyway, and use it to make tea and coffe and to cook, but I much prefer the taste of bottled water. Funnily enough, when we were in Mississippi, we had some brands of bottled water that were different, and there is such a difference in taste among all the brands. Colorado water used to taste great when I was a kid, but now it's full of things to make sure it's clean and last time I was there, it wasn't any better than the water we had at home.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  01:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bee, I adore the degree to which you seem to have immersed yourself into that Blyton site. Ha!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of the series, other than JKR mention them, either. I'm going to have to get my hands on some to read.

Did you ever think we'd be so picky about water? I think the reason I don't drink it out is because I just like my own. One bad thing about spring water, though, was in June when we filled the pool up with it. There is nothing colder to swim in then a pool filled with water right out of the spring. We used to get the garden house out and wet ourselves down with the cold water before jumping in. Otherwise, it was too much of a shock to the system.

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/13/2007 12:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  17:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that you are not a member of the Polar Bear Club.

Have never read any of the Famous Five. I loved the Boxcar Children series when I was a child, then moved on to Nancy Drew.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  19:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARGH! Jo, I'm watching the Chargers game and just dying - if ever a winning team played like a losing one...

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  23:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the world of the Steelers this year, AMC.

Looks like Whisenhunt is coaching for Arizona. He was the fan favorite for taking over for Cowher, but he accepted the position today with the Cardinals. So the Pittsburgh Steelers are still without a coach. Don't know who it's going to be. There are three or four now they're thinking about and reinterviewing.

On the other "football" note, the media has been talking about David Beckham moving to the U.S. On Good Morning American they were showing his picture to people on the street of New York City and hardly anyone knew who he was. The jist of the spot was about how Beckham is known worldwide and is hounded everywhere he goes, yet in the U.S. he's relatively unknown. They're touting him as the savior for soccer, but I don't think it will ever get as huge as football or baseball. The media has been claiming that soccer is going to take off and get huge in a few years, but they've said the same thing 20 years ago. We'll just have to wait and see.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  02:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - and when I read the news they said Beckham would have this huge effect on American soccer and I thought "Funny, I remember they said the same thing about Pelé when he came to the US.. 30 years ago? It's all kind of funny about Beckham - I mean, I know next to nothing about pro soccer (and like a good American, care even less) but he's not even at the top of his game, right? Why should he suddenly electrify audiences here? We've had soccer for years, it's just not one of our favorite pro games. He's coming to play for the Galaxy (my hometown team?) and their audience is heavily Hispanic so I can't imagine they'll go wild. Maybe it'll get all those British ex-pats currently hanging out at the pubs in Santa Monica to cross town to see the games. I kind of doubt it.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  16:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beckham was at the top of his game, but he's been sacked from the England team, so his career is obviously failing.

His fee is obscene, when you consider the fact that he makes in 2 hours what one of his colleagues on the same team makes in a year.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  17:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMCIt's all kind of funny about Beckham - I mean, I know next to nothing about pro soccer (and like a good American, care even less) but he's not even at the top of his game, right?

Lol, we really don't care about our soccer, do we. I just can't get into it. I'd rather watch lacrosse and hockey before soccer. The closest MLS team is in Columbus, OH, and I had to google it to find out where it was.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  18:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There may be very little interest in watching pro soccer in the US, but the kids around here love to play the game. They start at age 5-6 and many play it all the way through high school. My hometown's population is only 8,000, but they field one or two teams at every age level through junior high (5-6, 7-8, 11-12, and 13-14). That's one or two teams per sex. It must be fun! My daughter only played soccer for three years (age 12, 13,& 14), but I admit I saw enough of it to last a lifetime. For whatever reason, interest in playing has never translated into interest in watching, even in the kids who participated for years. More people would rather watch golf than soccer ... insane?

I didn't even know that Columbus has a pro soccer team, and I go there at least once a month!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  18:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
More people would rather watch golf than soccer ... insane?

In a country that seems to love baseball (the most boring team sport imaginable IMO), I don't find that at all odd.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  19:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, that kind of talk about baseball is blasphemous in my family. My sister is fanatic about it, my dad coached for years, and even my mom was a major fan. My childhood was either spent in the pool at a ballfield. I'm not as into it as the rest of them, but I do love to go the ballpark to watch the local minor league team. I've always said that my dad would love anyone I marry as long as he has a job and likes baseball. He has such high standards.

There is a long-term sub position available for for Feb-June for the neighboring county (containing the city school system) teaching Computers to 7th and 8th grade. I don't know what district, but I'm going to apply. The competition is probably rough even for a long-term sub position. If it's inner city or north of the city then I won't accept if by some weird chance I was offered it. But if it's south of the city I'd love it. It's only the remainder of the year and less than what I get now, but it's guaranteed everyday. We'll see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  21:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll cross fingers and toes for you. Jo!

Siobhan, I find watching basketball tedious on TV but it's exciting to atch in person. Heck, I think any game is fun to watch when you're actually at the game... except golf, maybe.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  15:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching American Football is amazingly boring, they keep stopping!

Anyway, IMHO, sports are there to be played, not watched. Not that I play sport (or watch it!).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.