Needless to say, it got interrupted

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making it a GREAT BIG LIE! It's probably a conspiracy.

I hate iced tea, Jo - always have. I adore hot black teas and I'll even drink herbal tea in the evenings but I can't stand iced tea. I know, I'm in the minority in the U.S.! During business lunches everyone else orders iced tea and I get.. lemonade.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I was watching the History Channel and they recently had a show about the history of tea and its importance in American history. They gave little statistics and said that 80% of tea drank in the U.S. is iced tea. So evidently you really are in the minority. I love iced tea. Right now I'm drinking sweetened, but eventually I want to ween myself to unsweetened ice tea. I was doing pretty well on unsweetened last summer but fell back into my pop addiction. I think it would be less stress to my system to keep some sugar in my diet for right now.

I think I'm starting to go through pop withdrawl. I've been getting migraines the past week and I've gone months without having one. I haven't given up soda completely because I drink it at restaurants, but I haven't bought it in weeks for the house. Severely cut down my intake. The other day I was combing my refrigerator for a stray can of Pepsi and didn't have any.

Okay, I've learned the spelling of the potential Steelers coach is Whisenhunt (still pronounced Wizenhunt). Everyone thinks its between him and Russ Grimm (another HPish name). I think Whisenhunt will get it. He is pretty young for a coach and looks strangely like Bill Cowher, AMC. So maybe we won't be completely without strange faces on the sidelines.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  05:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only like unsweetened ice tea, I can't stand the sweetened stuff. And I only like the stuff I make myself! When my parents lived in Indonesia they always had a row of old rum bottles filled with ice tea in the fridge, making them look like complete alcoholics.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  10:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Wizenhunt better, but Grimm will do. Everyone could call him The Grimm while pointing and shrinking in fear.

It is amazing how sweet pop tastes after not drinking it for a while. After having I switched to water (partly because I needed to drink more of it and partly because I couldn't bear paying over a dollar for a glass of pop or tea at restaurants) pop has become too, too sweet.

In other news I have a new bunny!
We got him as a rescue rabbit. He'd been left at a local SPCA by a family that had to move and couldn't keep him. The lady we got him from saved him because he was sooooo sweet and loving, but she rescues wildlife and couldn't keep him with Spring coming up. So we took him in. His name is Jonesy. I've taken to calling him Dr. Jones and Indy. He's very adventurous-- and speedy, so Indy has a secondary meaning.
I'll post a picture or two when I get a chance.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  11:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new bunny, Siobhan. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  12:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How great! We've had our bunny over a year now and she has gotten much happier and more friendly over that time. When she showed up, she didn't even want to be petted! Now she can be picked up and she runs out to greet me (of course, that's because I'm the carrot lady). We need to get a vet to trim her nails though - I'm totally not up for that.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  15:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My life is in RUINS.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070109/hl_afp/healthteaoffbeat_070109115940

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  16:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would soy milk also deplete tea's health benefits?
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  16:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sips black tea in a smug fashion*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  17:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only drink tea without milk anyway.

Martje, also looking forward to bunny piccies.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only drink tea black. I was told not to drink it with milk because I have a history of kidney stones. Some chemical in the tea reacts with the calcium in milk and forms stones in some people. I don't like the taste of it either. Plus, I'm lactose intolerant so I stay away from milk anyways.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well aren't you all the lucky ones? I'm NOT! I like my tea with MILK, damn it, and now I'm told that my putting milk in my afternoon tea has ruined any pretence I might have had that it was a healthy habit. HMPH.

Is it just me or does this smilie look like he's vomiting?

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks like he's about to.
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  19:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, he does, actually.

*yawn*

I'm so tired, but Ruth's got a horrific pain in her lungs, and now she's waiting for someone from NHS Direct to ring her back, and I'm waiting for her to ring me back. It would be so much easier if their website was actually working.

Edited by - Starling on 01/09/2007 19:30:00
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  00:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo! Painful lung - that sounds really bad. Lung problems are nasty, I hope it's a strained chest muscle or something instead.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  02:29:08  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
AMC, I'm with you--I love milk in my tea--and a little sugar. I always figured that since I don't like to just drink milk that it was a good way for me to get some.

And the funny thing is, I never drank my tea that way till Sarah came back from her stint on Disney Cruise Line--one of her best friends was from the UK and got her started with drinking her tea with milk.

Argh--well, I'm going to drink it anyway. It still has to be better than pop, which I used to drink all the time. And I know it is better for me than the raspberry mochas that I like--good thing I never did drink those every day.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  03:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a strained muscle, AMC!

Thank goodness, losing part of your lungs isn't good when you're a singer.

Still, no sleep last night, NHS Direct called her an ambulance and she had to go to hospital to check everything out.

Martje

Edited by - Starling on 01/10/2007 03:20:25
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  10:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that's great. I know pain is pain but.. muscle pain is SO much less scary! And losing part of your lungs is bad for anyone - they don't grow back.

Ugh. I'm going to pretend I didn't read the yahoo article - just one more small county in my current state of denial.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  11:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just could never get used to drinking milk in tea. My sister used to try to get me to drink it that way. She usually drinks hers black but does put milk in it occassionally, but I just don't like the flavor. Maybe that's why the Brits don't like iced tea, because of their fondness for cream in it.

I feel left out because I don't like or drink coffee. The smell is wonderful, but it doesn't taste like it smells. I can force myself to drink some, but I just don't care for it. At least I'm consistant because I don't like most of the fancy coffees, either. I'm the person who goes to Starbucks and gets a Coke. My parents used to drink pots and pots of this stuff every day, but their daughters did not inherit their love of coffee. My sister's coffee pot sits in back of her cupboard and is only used on the occassional holiday or when company wants some.

Wonder what the effect of sugar has in tea?

Edited by - Jokelly on 01/10/2007 11:53:58
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  12:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee tastes the way it smells ... but it's horribly expensive!

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  23:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I am back! I arrived at some stupid hour this morning from my holiday to NZ with the Boy. We had such a great time! Sure, the weather was completely crappy for lots of it, but we went to some beautiful places and caught up with some of my family (who are crazy fun). Best of all, we had a wonderful time together. I think we'll be able to live together all right (although I know this is completely different thing from travelling). Once I upload some pictures I will send links.

Bah to this milky tea malarkey. They added milk so it comprised 10% of the volume. My milk-adding preferences is that it would be much less than 1% - a few drops, that's all. I have to say to my mum 'If you've added any milk at all, that'll be enough' - she likes to drown it in milk and I hate the way it tastes. Anyway, I am going to continue to be smug about tea.

Wah *rubs eyes* I am so sleepy. We had such an early flight this morning, and given the time difference it's the equivalent of having got up at 1am. Crazytown.

Anyway, I will come back and read more later. In the meantime, I'm going to have a snooze in the comfy chair. Night.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  23:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, do we finally get to see the Boy, Myf? My aunt said the best thing about Australia when she lived there was that all the men were gorgeous. Not good looking, her words were gorgeous. Maybe we just have ugly people in PA and her standards weren't that high to begin with.

Detox is still going on. I've had a perpetual low grade headache for a few days now, but I've not touched any soda in about a week. I've been drinking so much tea though that I'm forever going to the bathroom. At least I know my kidneys are working fine.

Oh! I think I've found out what I'm going to spend my Christmas money on...or at least half of it--a table saw. Yes, I know it's pretty weird but it's one for people working in miniature and pretty small. I have to get my dad to look at it and see if it's any good. The other half of my money will probably go to clothing.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  00:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you wild spendthrift, you! Glad you're spending it on something you'll enjoy!

Welcome home, Myf! Glad you had fun together - are you going to be living with your boy or your sister next year? I think I remember reading both. I'd be wildly jealous about your NZ trip (I'd love to see NZ) but I'm already all psyched for our vacation in Hawaii at Easter. I love travelling, I get excited even driving out of town. Flying makes me even happier.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  00:44:54  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, myf, for the encouragement about the milk. I measured the amount I put in mine, and it's only about one teaspoon--which is a lot less than 10%. Laura, however, is in trouble--her tea is nearly half milk--same with her coffee--and she puts in a lot of sugar.

Tea with milk and sugar is just so comforting to me--I drink a lot of it. Which is better than coffee for me--that upsets my stomach, so after drinking it for about 5 years, I switched back to tea, which I just like better.

Speaking of tea, I think I'll have some more.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly
I've been drinking so much tea though that I'm forever going to the bathroom. At least I know my kidneys are working fine.

I've been doing that because of all the water I've been drinking. I made a New Years Resolution to eat better and drink more water. So far, so good. Granted, most of the water I've been drinking has been flavored (Crystal lite or the Wal-mart equivalent). I've been limiting myself to one or two pops or coffee on my days off and to one pop and one energy drink (sugar free) on days I work.

Milk in tea...not for me. I usually drink it with a little bit of honey or Splenda if honey isn't available. I don't need creamer or milk for coffee, but I have to have sweetener. I can't even drink regular pop anymore, it's way too sweet. I usually drink diet.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  08:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found diet pop tastes much sweeter than the stuff with the sugar in.

My dad got my son a chemistry kit this Christmas, and did some experiments with (diet) pop. He found it's so acidic that he said he'd never drink it again.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has he tried the Mentos in Diet Coke thing, Starling?
Daughter is dying to try it out, but I'm making her wait till it's a little warmer outside-- like swimsuit warm so I can hose her down afterwards.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to know what's in pop, I just want to drink it. I know if you put a nail in a glass of Coca-Cola it will rust. I don't even want to think about what it's been doing to my stomach all these years. I'm an anti-diet pop person. I just despise the taste of artificial sweeteners. I would rather just do without. It's not all headaches and caffeine withdrawl, the upside is that I'm consuming less calories. That's alwalys a good thing.

Starling, your signature made me laugh. In high school, a boy I knew shot himself in the hand with his crossbow while hunting. He was okay and had to have his hand bandaged for a while, but very lucky it wasn't more serious.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you put a tooth in Coca Cola it dissolves. It won't do much to your stomach, though, since your stomach is pretty acidic anyway. I think a stomach can even cope with battery acid (although the aesophagus would be less happy).

Mentos & Coke = incredibly cool, both in the really wet and the really amazing department.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.