Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  10:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas everyone! So far our parties have been fun, but I've come down with a wicked sore throat ... nothing that should keep me from the next party though. It's a my parents where if I don't feel well, at least I can find a comfy chair and vege.

I'll contribte a plate of cookies ... date bars, cutouts, spritz, and mollasses-spice.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  17:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that you're up early on Christmas to make a dessert you don't eat, Jo!

Merry Christmas All! We hosted a lovely Christmas Eve dinner and I cooked lots of yummy foods, all of which are available as leftovers for snacking in the fridge. I give myself the day off from cooking on Christmas. Santa's been here, I too have a new coffeemaker (and I DO drink the stuff, by the pint) a new alarm clock and a new DVD I'm dying to watch... so all in all, a fine haul.

*starts the buffet line* Anyone for leftover roast chicken?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  18:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Happy Christmas everyone!

Diri, your grandmother's present made me laugh. What a nice thought, even if the logic is a bit wonky! And a CCTV camera sounds very high-tech!

I had a brilliant day - great food, wine and company. I got some great gifts too - my favourites were from my parents, who passed on to me an old-fashioned but gorgeous choker necklace that belonged to my great-grandmother who was a flapper in the 1920s, and from The Boy, who gave me a really interesting and very beautiful pearl necklace. I am so spoilt!

And yes, it's leftovers all round for Boxing Day. Is today a public holiday in the States/Canada? I'm off shopping to buy myself a digital camera and some books for my trip to New Zealand - I leave on Friday, yay!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  21:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, today is still Christmas in the U.S. It's 9:30pm on Christmas night here on the east coast. Tomorrow isn't a public holiday. The banks and post office are back open and everyone goes shopping. We don't have Boxing Day in the States. The schools are still out, though, until around June 2nd or 3rd around here.

quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I love the fact that you're up early on Christmas to make a dessert you don't eat, Jo!

It's tradition, AMC. It's just not Christmas without the date pudding. Everyone else seems to like it.

It was a nice Christmas. I ate waaaayyy too much. We had turkey and ham, along with a whole lot of others stuff. I also ate too many cookies and sweets. I got two sweaters, a dremel (yes, I asked for it for my crafty stuff), and money. I got lectured on spending my money and not putting it in my account. I still haven't decided on what I want. Maybe the after Christmas sales will spark something.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  23:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas!

Oh so much goings on! Christmas is almost over. We've eaten and cleaned and opened gifts and are ready to start dessert. All the gifts I received were lovely. I am very very spoilt. My bestest gift came from Husband who gave me a staggeringly beautiful bracelet.

Tomorrow we go to the ballet. While Daughter has grown up watching PNB's Nutcracker on video, she has never seen it on the stage. That is her ideal of the Nutcracker. Sendak's design is really imaginative. His book gives a very good idea of what the staging looks like.

Travel wasn't too bad for us, except that we had a "slight" delay leaving Atlanta. Denver being closed wasn't an issue.

Pesky, have a toddy! It may not eliminate the oncoming cold, but it certainly will make it more bearable.

Take care everyone and have a great holiday!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  23:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see everyone had a Merry Christmas. I'm off to North Carolina tomorrow, and will be back sometime Friday evening.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  05:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope you all had a nice day yesterday.

I had a lovely Christmas Day. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary, apart from going to Mass and the graveyard I just spent most of the day slumped in front of the telly gorging on goose and chocolate and brandy and watching old films.

Because I'm a poor student now, my family told me they decided to buy me practical presents. I love that their idea of practical presents are ceramic hair straighteners and perfume.

How do you lot spend St. Stephen's Day/Boxing Day/whatever you call it? I'm curious as to what the traditions are in other countries. Here there is hunting, Wren Boys (musicians going from house to house playing carols and trad while dressed in silly outfits), and of course, the Big Night Out. St. Stephen's night is one of the biggest party nights of the year. The streets will probably be awash with vomit from about 8pm, but I'm still going to brave them. It's tradition.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  12:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't celebrate St. Stephen's Day or Boxing Day, but today is the second biggest shopping day of the year. That means I stay away from all the stores. Maybe later in the week I'll go shopping. Since the post-holiday sales are starting up I'm on the lookout for a dishwasher. Not using my Christmas money for a dishwasher, we just need one desperately.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/26/2006 12:17:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  19:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it finally happened! Today it snowed in Ohio. It was the day after Christmas, but close enough to see all the lights up with snow on the ground. All is right with the world.

I spent today working. At work. I wish it were a holiday in the US! Being part-time, I get put through the mill this week because so many of the full-timers are taking days off, trying to use all their vacation days before year end. At least my sore throat is getting better ... a couple of good nights's sleep and it will be all cleared up.

Good luck with dishwasher shopping, Jo. We got a new one in September after being without one for a while and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have one again. At the very least, it's a place to stash the dirty dishes until there are enough to wash. Plus, it works a lot better than the old dishwasher, which was sixteen years old and didn't always do the dishes when you asked it to. It was more interested in playing video games.

I'll probably leave our tree up until next Wednesday. That's the first day I have off work when everyone else will be back to school/work. (My husband has already been off for a week and doesn't go back until January 2nd, the cad.) New Year's Eve will be spent at my parents house (we're such exciting people), watching videos and drinking Dad's homemade wine, which actually tastes quite good.

Happy Boxing Day (a little late) to everyone who celebrates it!
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  05:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
Ugh! Dobbygirl, sorry about the reception - sounds dismal.

Actually, it wasn't that bad. I got to see my mom's two cousins (Anna and May), their husbands and Anna's daughter Kathy. Anna and May are sooooo different from their sister Marlene (her daughter was the bride). Anna was such fun, always cracking jokes and telling funny stories. What also made it slightly more bearable was they had free beer and wine.

A belated Merry/Happy Christmas/Holidays to everyone! I tried getting on the net on Christmas, but my wireless modem needed a reboot, and I just couldn't figure that out. My hubby had to figure that out for me. Oh poor hubby! I gave him a list of what I wanted and he got one of them wrong...but it wasn't his fault. I asked for a GE Belgium Waffle maker. I forgot to say that it was the kind that you turned. He got me a tiny square () Belgium waffle maker. Who's ever heard of a SQUARE Belgium waffle? Other than that, he did very well!

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  05:57:08  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well guys, have a happy new years! The Boy is picking me up at 6.30am tomorrow on the way to the airport for our trip to New Zealand. A fortnight of fun - oh yeah, baby! It will be great. I just bought myself a digital camera so I will be able to show you guys some pictures when I get back.

Have a happy and safe new years and I'll stop in when I get back. And Theo - I expect to see some fic in my inbox by then!

Hugs,
Myf

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  12:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Well guys, have a happy new years! The Boy is picking me up at 6.30am tomorrow on the way to the airport for our trip to New Zealand. A fortnight of fun - oh yeah, baby! It will be great. I just bought myself a digital camera so I will be able to show you guys some pictures when I get back.

Have a happy and safe new years and I'll stop in when I get back. And Theo - I expect to see some fic in my inbox by then!

Hugs,
Myf

Have a lovely trip, Myf. And yes, you'll definitely have a present in your inbox by then.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  06:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dobbygirl

Who's ever heard of a SQUARE Belgium waffle?

I've only ever heard of square Belgium waffles. What other shapes do they come in? *is intrigued*

Have a great time in New Zealand, Myf! NZ is top of my places to visit. Anyone I know who's been there is crazy about it. Apparently it's the most like Ireland you can get without actually being in Ireland. Which is just what every Irish person wants from a holiday, because we're boring like that.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  11:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the Belgium waffles I've seen are big round ones, but I have seen the squares. I have a big round Belgium waffle maker. We used to use it often, but haven't for a while. I used to love getting them with ice cream and syrup at a local restaurant. You know what's good to make with our waffle iron, regular waffles topped with creamed chicken instead of over biscuits. Sounds disgusting, but it really isn't. My grammy used to make it.

Still have no idea what to get with my Christmas money. I should buy all clothes, but I hate the though of actually doing that.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  19:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone!

I think I may have eaten some square Belgian waffles before.

Have fun with The Boy, Myf!
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen nor heard of a square Belgium waffle before. Whenever I've ordered them in a restaurant, they're always big and round and whenever I've seen a Belgium waffle maker/iron, they're round. The one my hubby got my is about the size of a large paperback book. It's soooo tiny! I asked for the nice big one so it could handle my grandma's recipe for Belgium waffles because the waffle maker I already had can't seem to cook the batter thoroughly enough. I've been to Wal-mart and no one has seemed to return the one I wanted. *sigh* I should've just bought it myself when I saw it sitting on the shelf.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  07:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd never eaten a Belgian waffle until I went to Belgium, where I ate loads - all square.

I hope someone returns that waffle iron, DG. *crosses fingers*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  10:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this sort of what you're looking for Dobbygirl? http://www.amazon.com/Toastmaster-Touch-Belgian-Waffle-Maker/dp/B00006IUZI/sr=1-38/qid=1167493675/ref=sr_1_38/102-7105521-8742502?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden This is the one I have.

You know what I'm really hungry for now...a funnel cake with a bunch of powdered sugar on top. I haven't had one since this summer at a fair. I don't eat them often, but one sounds so good just about now. But the trick to eating one is it has to be on a paper plate to soak up the grease and you have balance it while walking around. And to have three other people to eat it with you because I can't eat one by myself.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  02:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never got into funnel cakes myself - must be one of the few bad for you foods I don't adore!

I think I've only eaten square Belgian waffles? But really, I like the old-fashioned waffles better. Belgian waffle "dips" are too big for me.

I feel your pain on appliances! Every time I've asked for one I end up thinking - I should just have gone out and bought what I really needed. But I have to come up with something to ask for and I don't need much - my spouse wants to buy gifts, hates shopping and is not imaginative when it comes to gifts so I try to come up with ideas for him (his own idea of a creative gift this year was a pair of electric massaging slippers - but they don't really massage your feet, they just kind of buzz - and my big feet don't fit into them anyway. The kids think they're fun so..).

Edited by - AMC on 12/31/2006 02:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  20:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I never need to do is register for china. I have my mom's set, but my sister, who lives in my gram's house, called tonight and said she was cleaning out her basement and she found a set of my gram's china. My grandma had a habit of putting names on everything to tell who got what when she died. Some of it had my name, some my sister's and some my mom's. My sister took what she wanted, but she didn't want the china. So now I have it. There are a few peices missing, but not many. I do need to replace the few pieces of my mom's that has broken over the years. Luckily, it's only a few peices because it can get quite expensive to replace china pieces. I just don't know what to do with all this dishware now.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  15:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've eaten round, square, and funny shaped waffles, and ones with faces on. It depends on your waffle iron. Mine has faces on from a popular Dutch children's book.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  22:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cooked a beef prime rib roast last night and it had to be the most absolute best thing I've ever eaten. I've made this a time or two before, usually only once a year since they're so expensive, but, omg, this was fantastic. Better than I've ever made it. Done perfectly medium rare with the right amount of rare and delicious. Even the leftovers on a sandwich tonight are good. I usually don't gush over my own cooking, but this was prima.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  20:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pittsburgh Steelers news, Cowher's gone. No surprise there. Supposedly the Rooneys wanted an answer by January 1st, but he needed more time to think about it. In the meantime, the top pick to replace him, assistant coach Wizenhunt has been interviewing for other head coach jobs because the Steelers don't know if Pittsburgh was available. I think the Rooneys pressured him to finally make a decision because they don't want to lose Wizenhunt. Tomorrow's the news conference where Cowher announces he's leaving. He's not retiring, but rumor has he's going to coach the Miami Dolphins. We'll know everything for sure tomorrow.

On the other Pittsburgh sports front, the Penguins are planning on leaving the city and moving to Kansas City. Big changes in PA sports this week.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  21:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - I'm going to miss seeing Cowher on the sidelines at Steelers games. He just seemed the right fit for that team and that city - I just can't see him all super-tanned and wearing aqua blue in Miami.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  18:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say, Wizenhunt sounds vaguely Potterish.

Well, I'm back on the East Coast and not overly happy about it. There's not much to be done though, so I'll just have to get used to it all over again. At least I had a nice dose of winter for a couple of weeks. Had an (thankfully) uneventful travel day yesterday-- very bumpy going over the Cascades but no difficulties. Managed to read a few chapters of OotP. I'll start a topic about it when I've got a little farther on.

Hope you haven't been suffering from winter weather, Eeyore! Mum said last night the forecast called for snow again. We've got low 70's here. So much for the enjoyment of hot chocolate on cold winter nights.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the one hand, the warm weather is a good thing, since my heating would cost a fortune otherwise. But on the other hand, cold, bright winter days are so much less depressing than dreary rainy ones ...

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  20:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

I must say, Wizenhunt sounds vaguely Potterish.

It does have sound like a name you'd encounter in the Potter world. It might be spelled differently.

My keyboard isn't working right after spilling iced tea in it tonight. I'm using the on-screen keyboard which is slow. Looks like I'm off to the store tomorrow for a new one.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  00:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another reason not to drink iced tea - Have a nice pot of hot tea, Jo - I'll give you a very small, untippable glass.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  06:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Argh, Lancaster is suffering blackouts. The last one lasted 6 hours! The UPS failed and my mail server (and the forum server) is down.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  15:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, don't you like iced tea? I've switched to it after I've given up pop for New Years.

I got my new keyboard. It feels different than my other one and will have to take some getting used to. Sadly, this is the third keyboard I've had in about 6 months. Thank goodness they don't cost too much because I have the knack of spilling things down them.

Starling, what does UPS stand for? Because I don't think it's those delivery men in the brown shorts that I'm thinking of.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.