New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  22:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thing is, my hair is naturally a dark blonde colour, but because my eyelashes and eyebrows are naturally black (yes, I was a weird-looking child) I can get away with dyeing my hair this colour. Lucky me, because I much prefer this colour.

I need new bookshelves - there still isn't enough room...

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  01:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One can never have enough bookshelves... we built in about 150 linear feet of shelving downstairs and.. it's all full.

Cute Myf! It is very retro-ish. The outfit sounds very effective... Is "to perve" a verb?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 12/09/2006 01:28:58
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  01:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is that an Australianisn? I had no idea. 'To perve' means to leer, to check someone out, usually in a sexual way. It's often used sort of affectionately, It's also a noun, eg. 'He's such a perve!'.

Here endeth the lesson.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think "to perve" is derived from "pervert", but it's usually meant in a more affectionate way. :)

I love Myf's hair too. I wish I could have hair that short, but hairdressers always refuse, because it's so thick they think it'll stick out everywhere and look ridiculous. I'd love to get a fringe to take a bit of the thickness out of it, but I don't think it'd suit me. So I end up getting the same haircut over and over: cut as short as possible (which is only a little bit above shoulder-length), and thinned out as much as the hairdresser can without splitting it to shreds. Stupid hair. I get a fair few compliments on it, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. People always want what they haven't got - hence all those shampoo ads promising lots of volume. I have enough volume for about three people, I think. I don't know how I coped without hair straighteners in Sri Lanka - people I met out there hardly recognised me afterwards without my white girl 'fro. If I go back, I'm totally bringing a GHD with me. :)

Congratulations on your Masters, diri! It's always hard to read criticism about something you worked so hard for, but you still did really well, so the marker was probably being as harsh as possible in order to give you something constructive to work with for your next thesis. People always seem to think they're doing people favours with so-called "constructive criticism", and maybe it does help some people, but it only drives me to ice cream and self-pity so I don't think it works very well in my case! I like to fool myself into thinking that I take criticism well, but I really, really don't. I got some very negative feedback about my course work recently - I cried all the way home and nearly crashed my car. I often used to cry after (and sometimes during!) meetings with my supervisor for my undergraduate dissertation too (it was a pile of tosh). I'm such a baby. :)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'm feeling a bit better now, although that probably has more to do with the citalopram I took last night. I still can't bear to read that examiner's statement.

Examiners should be more conscientious! Their comments almost killed Bee!

Oh and Bee; having seen you with both long and short hair, I honestly think your hair looks better long.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  17:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Eurgh, Diri, citalopram! I hate that stuff, it makes me so ridiculously ill. But I'm glad it works for you.

Bee, my hair's not thick but I have HEAPS of it. If I get it cut any shorter than it is now I have to get it really thinned out, which I hate. Hairdressers often refuse to do it, saying 'No, it's fine'. I have to explain to bthem very patiently that they MUST thin out my hair otherwise in three days' time I will look like a Muppet. Tchah.

Was off babysitting the nieces last night. It's tremendously hot here now, and the baby (5 months) was up and down for hours. I never met such a wriggly child. Speaking of which, the elder girl (3 years) went to see The Wiggles live in concert the other day and was busy teling me how Greg was sick and now Sam is the yellow Wiggle and he is a good singer. She's so knowledgable about them.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  18:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wiggles?

Why, Myf, would you even think of taking citalopram? You don't strike me as the kind of person who suffers from mood disorders.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  21:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You'd be surprised, Diri. But actually, I took citalopram once for a friend's research experiment - two days across a couple of week where I took either citalopram or a placebo, and she took blood every half hour for 5 hours to check hormone levels. I knew I'd definitely had the citalopram second as it made me feel like I was about to be sick constantly, for more than 24 hours afterwards. At least now I know never to take it again.

Never heard of the Wiggles, Diri? You obviously don't know many of the under-5s. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiggles) They're pretty fun. I like their sense of humour - they have a song called 'Hot Potato', with the lyrics 'Hot potato, cold spaghetti', and one of their videos is called 'Cold Spaghetti Western'. Hee.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  03:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK; how's this for stupid? I always knew I was a bit behind the average human on the evolutionary scale but this takes the cake.

OK. Before I left the UK, my aunt asked if I could give her her keys, because she wanted to put up some bookshelves in my absence. Now, I know I'm absent minded and that whenever I break any habits involving my keys it only leads to trouble, but my aunt is not the sort of person you want to say no to. So I left my keys with my upstairs neighbor and hoped for the best.

So I return. My aunt never bothered to show up at my house, but I got the keys back (after a certain amount of fretting because my aunt had changed her phone number and I couldn't get through to her). Now, at this point, given what I had already been through, an intelligent person would have put the keys back on his keyring. But I didn't. Even worse, I forgot I hadn't. So last night, at around 11:45, I decide I need to do some late night grocery shopping. So I grab my wallet, which has my keyring, and head outside. Only when I return with two bags of groceries do I realise I don't have my keys. Well what was I to do? My aunt wasn't in town, but I called her house anyway, to see if her son was there. He wasn't. So I went to three different hotels, but was turned away. So basically, I just hopped onto the nearest bus and travelled until the driver told me to get off. Then I would walk until I found another bus. Eventually I made it from Kilburn in the north to Croydon, which is so far south it almost isn't in London, and then, when the sun rose, hopped onto a train, took the tube to Bond Street, and found the nearest cybercafe. Needless to say, I haven't slept, nor am I in the best of moods. I'm hard to cheer at the best of times, and there is something about a city at night that brings out the worst in me. For the first time in yonks I seriously considered topping myself. Good thing my citalopram was back at home. If I had any I probably would have taken them all.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  04:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm.. okay, Diricawl - don't top yourself, whatever it is. It sounds obscene to me but probably isn't as nearly everything sounds obscene to me.

Second - why all the buses? Why not a locksmith? Or break a window? Surely there is some way of getting into your apartment? I hope you've found a way by now!!!

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  04:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Locksmiths aren't easy to come by at midnight on Saturday. And if anyone saw me breaking my window I would have been arrested. Besides, what would I have done then? It costs a fortune to replace a window; I don't have that kind of money.

Topping one's self: taking a permanent vacation, a dirt nap, an electric bath, a final trip down the tunnel, a bow to the reaper, a slug on a slug, the ultimate skydive. Also known as kissing Lucrezia Borgia, riding the concrete waterfall, racing the black, shooting the moon etc. I'm feeling better now, but then I'm in natural sunlight.

OK; I'm back in my house. My wonderful, blessed upstairs neighbor has a network of handymen who do jobs for her at discout prices. I really need to do something to thank her, but I don't know what.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 12/10/2006 07:45:29
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  10:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, diri, what a night! I hope you are sleeping as I write this, and that tomorrow is a better day. As for your wonderful neighbor, a nice box of chocolates is a hit with most females. About this one thing, we're fairly simple.

Edited by - n/a on 12/10/2006 10:47:59
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  12:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, diri, what a night. Like Pixie said, hope you are sleeping it off and can relax. I can't tell you the times I broke into my house when I was in high school. I was, and still am, notorious for losing my keys. I've have crawled through so many windows. Now we keep all the windows locked so I don't know what I'll do if I can' get in now.

Bee, I would kill for thick hair. Mine is baby fine, thin, and stick straight. Not even a wave to it. The only good thing about it is that it feels like silk. You can't skip days without washing because it gets very oily, if you curl it or use hairspray it's flat in 30 minutes, and you have to use kiddie barretts just to hold it back. And if you want a perm it either is so curly you get an afro or becomes straight in two weeks. It is quite a pain. I got it cut yesterday. Got a little trimmed off the back so it just skims above my shoulders, a little heavier bangs, and a little layered around the face. Once spring comes I'll probably get it cut short again, but it's too cold to do that in winter.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  13:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for future reference - if any of your windows are single pane, it doesn't cost much to replace them.. I know! I've had more than my share of lock-outs too... sigh. I once locked the keys in the car with my baby inside - I think I lost a decade of my life that day, maybe that's why I don't mind looking my age. Housing windows are much easier to fix than car window - I've even replaced the panes myself.

A box of chocolates is always appropriate.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  15:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry you had a rough night last night, Diri. Hope your resting comfortably right now.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  03:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
God, Diri! That's sounds terrible - but you made it through and now I bet you've got your keys welded to your keyring.

I had a similar experience in Brussels once, where I couldn't find ANY hotels. I spent the night in cabs then got the first train out of there the next morning. It was an experience to remember.

Is there anyone you can leave a copy of your keys with, Diri? I've certainly locked my keys inside before, and so now my sister and a friend have copies. Can you leave a copy with your upstairs neighbour? Sure, you may wish never to have to wake her at midnight, but that's better than spending all night on London's public transport.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  13:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, you poor thing! What a night you had. Definitely find some place to stash a spare key: with a neighbor; taped above your doorjam; buried in a little jar in the yard; something.

And congratulations on your Masters. Don't let some negative comments dampen your pride in that achievement. It's huge!

Myf, your hair is adorable. Hair is really a wonderful thing because we can do so much with it: cut it, grow it, dye it, style it. I have always liked my hair. In its natural state it's a medium brown with gold highlights. It's fine, but very thick and wavy. It usually looks pretty decent, too, despite the fact that I never do more than drag a comb/brush through it. Literally.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a hairdryer in the last five years. My hair has to be wash and wear and when I go to the hairsylist I make it very clear that I need a syle that requires NO work. None, nada, zip. If it needs more than a comb/brush and a little water - my styling product of choice - it is not going to happen.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  15:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Theo - just letting you know I have a hectic week so the next chap of HPCS may be slightly late! Will do my best.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  15:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
cut it, grow it, dye it, style it.

Or in my case: hide it!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 12/11/2006 15:34:18
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  16:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, Startling. That sounds like me. A teenager I know has her hair straightened by the beautician every month and practically sleeps with her flat iron. It's naturally curly and in perfect ringlets when she lets it go. Naturally she hates it. She said she wanted long fine, thin hair. I told her she wouldn't, but she loves straight hair. Mine is pretty much every length throughout the year. It grows pretty fast so I'll cycle through long, getting it all cut really short, chin length bob, then long again. Only to cut it off once again. It's just hair, it grows back. Right now I want to grow it out, but I think come March I'll get it chopped really short again. Either that or I'll get a perm. Perms don't scare me, either.

For some reason, this month has been a little slow for subbing. I think they're saving up their days for after Christmas. Plus, a lot of them have been out of the classroom for testing and curriculum writing so they don't want to be out for awhile. I'm putting in for another district after the new year.

My tree is still not up. I did get some Christmas swags up to decorate my shelves in the living room, but that's about it. I also started making lady locks last night. I have to finish tonight and fill them. I shouldn't have made them because I'll pig out, but they're one of my favorite cookies. They're tough to make, but it's much cheaper than buying. The going rate is around $7.00/dozen. Some charge more. I'm going to make some chocolate crinkles and my dad some steamed date pudding this week, also. I have to make nut rolls, but I'm trying to get out of that. Maybe my sister will make them.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/11/2006 17:01:05
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  17:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell that silly girl to stop straightning her hair! What a waste! Curls are beautiful!

My hair is falling out, I'm going bald. Hence the hiding. It used to be thick and wavy, sniff.

Christmas decorations: 1 Christmas card stuck on the mirror, 4 baubles around the mirror, 1 bauble tied to the spotlight, a string of stars around a picture frame, some straw stars in the ivy (giggle), a metal angel pyramid that says "ding ding" when you light the candles, and a gorgeous wooden pyramid I bought for a small fortune in Cologne that has a nativity scene on it, and has Joseph running backwards very fast when you light the candles. Oh, and Fin's advent calendar, which is a mobile with lots of little hot air balloons, with a present in each basket (made by a friend of Ruth's).

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  18:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Theo - just letting you know I have a hectic week so the next chap of HPCS may be slightly late! Will do my best.

I know you will. I'm working on 18 in the meantime.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  00:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Lol, Startling.

Lol, Jokelly!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  00:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I can't spell. It's not as if I ever need to know how, you know, being a teacher and all.

I've got to tell the stupid thing I did. My hairdresser's first name is the same as my mom's was...Kathleen. One time years ago my mom was paying and ended up writing the check to herself instead of the hairdresser. Well, this weekend I did the same thing! I can't believe how ditzy I was. I didn't even realize it until I was looking through my check duplicates. I was talking and not watching what I was doing. Kathleen isn't a really common name around here so I immediately associate it with my mom, except my hairdresser. This doesn't help my reputation as being the airhead of the family. So now I have to run a new check down this week.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/12/2006 00:36:05
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  02:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have news!

If you remember, my scholarship runs out in Jan, even though my course doesn't officially end until June. So I've made plans to move in with my sister, and live a poverty-striken life.

BUT I just got a call from my awesome supervisor who told me that my research group is going to fund me for that time to the same amount my scholarship was worth!! This is unheard of. It's totally not their remit to fund me, but how nice is that!!

I need to think about it, but I might move to my sister's anyway and have a bit of money to spend/pay off debts etc.

Eeee. Eeee. Eeeee!

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  03:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squeeeeeeeeeee, Myf! That's so great!

*looks startled just to please Jo*

Talking about spelling, there are certain people on the Lexicon forums who think "I could care less" is a form of slang, not wrong at all, and that they "don't need the grammar police". I resisted the urge to say "semantics police, you dimwit".

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  09:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Myf!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Myf!!!!
...semantics police...

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, Myf! That's great news!

So sorry to hear you had such a bad night, diri. Glad everything got sorted in the end.

Today is my day off, and it's nearly 5pm and I've yet to even start the essay that's due this Friday. Bah. I really want to get it done before Thursday too, so I can go out that night. It's not going to happen though, which is my own stupid fault, because if I'd only stop procrastinating, I'd have loads done by now. I did buy some lovely new boots on sale today though, even though I don't deserve them because I'm a wastrel. :)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  12:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay Myf! If only my school would be so generous. Still, I think I could probably kiss any chance of funding for a doctorate goodbye now.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.