Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  18:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site is really funny, a little crude with a bit of language, but funny:
http://www.kawaiinot.com/index.php?p=48

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:06:01  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I should be baking a birthday cake for Tim's birthday,which is today. However, he and Laura suggested we do the family celebrating on Saturday instead--works better for them. And actually, it'll work better for me.

So now I can put the living room back in order--hubby pulled everything out of the book case to repair a speaker wire that they damaged when they were hooking up the outside speakers. And of course, he did the "well, I'm all done, so you can put things away now." He always does that--drives me nuts. That's what I told him--I didn't pull it out, he should put it away. "well, I could put it back in there, but it wouldn't be right"--as if, it was in any particular order anyhow. OK, I'm done with my rant for today--and I'm off to restore some sort of order to the living room. Hmph

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this would make some of you gals happy http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13391041/site/newsweek/?GT1=9211. I still don't see the facination. The pirate helps a little, but I aside from that I just don't get it?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  05:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm just chatting with Anna/Uric the Oddball and I gave her the linky here. I hope she comes over to play!

Today I did an assessment on a man who's pretty well-known - in the right sporting community he's known world-wide. He has a lot of cognitive problems, though. :(

And tonight I'm up at some ungodly hour to watch australia play what might be their last match in the World Cup.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  11:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does his sport involve blows to the head, or repeated head injury? That may be indiscrete to say, I don't know.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  11:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Late night shows are making cracks about the World Cup. It's so unpopular in most of the country. I bet there are pockets of people in the States that love it, but for the most part soccer isn't popular. I tried to watch a game and got 5 minutes into it and turned it off.

Soccer is like the metric system. When we're little adults say, "You have to learn the metric system because that's all you're going to use when you are an adult." They told my parents that when they were little, told me and my siblings that, and they still tell it to kids. But we're still using the English system and doesn't seem like we're going to be changing soon. The only thing that has changed is that we buy pop in liters in bottles (but also ounces in cans) and mechanics' tools. The same thing with soccer. It's a very popular sport with little kids and everyone has said for years and years, "In 20 years, soccer will be more popular than football or baseball." But it never happens. After primary school, interest just drops off. Yes, some do play soccer in high school, but I can't imagine a Saturday afternoon soccer game having the same draw as a Friday night football game--the social event on autumn Friday nights across the nation.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/22/2006 11:34:30
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  11:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's probably one of those geographic things, Jo - Here, there's a ton of interest in the World Cup. My spouse has reserved time during the weekends to watch the games and most people I know were pulling for one country or another. I guess you would call Los Angeles a 10 million person "pocket", but a lot of people here adore soccer. And, although I personally am more of a NFL fan, it's not a big town for football - as the NFL keeps learning over and over again.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  13:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pittsburgh is more of a football town. They've sold out every home game since 1972. It's practically impossible to get tickets and you have to get on a waiting list for years for season tickets.

Did you see that the Steelers draft pick Santonio Holmes (to replace Randel El) was arrested for the second time in the past few weeks. He better watch out, he's not signed yet. On a good note, Ben will be good for preseason camp next month. I never got into football until my nephew started playing peewee. The best to watch are the 5 and 6 year olds playing flag. Sometimes they forget what direction to run or that it's not tackle football. They're so cute.

Nobody's talking about World Cup in Pittsburgh. It's all the MLB All-Star Game. It's being held in our city and celebrations and activities start next week. Pittsburgh is a beautiful city in the summer and we have the best ballpark in the nation (worst team though). So watch out for coverage of our fair city.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

I'm just chatting with Anna/Uric the Oddball and I gave her the linky here. I hope she comes over to play!

Yeah, I've been pestering encouraging her too.

I'm tiiiiired. Long, hard day. Went to a barbeque this evening though, so that was nice.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:32:36  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I shouldn't have stayed up late reading that fanfic. Paying for it this morning. :S
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pittsburgh is more of a football town. They've sold out every home game since 1972. It's practically impossible to get tickets and you have to get on a waiting list for years for season tickets.

Sounds like Green Bay, WI too. I've heard (don't know how true it is) that the waiting list for season tickets for the Packers is 20 years long.

There are no real soccer fans around here either. Although, that didn't stop people at work from have a World Cup pool. It's just an excuse to gamble.

My doggie Pippin is going to the vet's tomorrow. Just his yearly visit for vaccinations and check up.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  19:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eurgh about Santonio Holmes. It's so hard to be an Ohio State fan some days. But I guess there's no hope for me because I bleed Scarlet and Gray.

Soccer isn't a big spectator sport around here either. My daughter played it through ninth grade ... if 40 people showed up to watch a varsity game it was a big crowd. It's all about football around here. Usually about 1/3 of the town population shows up for the Friday night home games, that is, about 3,000 people. Last year seventy-some boys were on the team, and the band marched over 100 without flag twirlers. The town rednecks don't bother to buy tickets to get in the stadium; they just watch the game from the train tracks out the north end zone. It's fun to watch them scatter when a train comes!

Edited by - n/a on 06/22/2006 19:31:02
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  19:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was just a segment on the CBS national news about America's ambivalence towards soccer. They went around asking people in NYC if they could name players on the USA team and nobody could. They asked some guy what a sweeper was and he said "a street cleaner". Still don't know what a sweeper in soccer does but I would have answered the same way.

Siobhan, when my sister was in the band there were about 130 people in it out of a high school population of app. 400 students. There was nothing else to do in high school. Even most of the cheerleaders and some football players were in the marching band. When the annual school band trip came around the halls were alot less crowded. By the time I got into high school the band director changed and membership dwindled. His replacement was terrible. I, along with many others, quit after the old band director left.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/22/2006 19:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  03:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What have you been reading, Ben?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Wisty Woo
Giddy

12 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  18:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to be a bad bunny!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad bunnies chew things they shouldn't and pee on the floor.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  20:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not all bad bunnies do!
The important bit is that Wisty used to be so cute when she was being naughty-- and Wisty never peed on the floor. That was Niff. Ah I so miss my little ones. *sigh*

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  22:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOn't you have bunnies anymore, Siobhan? Our bunny looks just like your avatar!

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  06:06:46  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I miss my bunny, Twit, whenever I think about bad bunnies. She didn't pee on the floor--only on Sarah. LOL. Twice, actually--but never on the rest of us. Weird rabbit.

Mmmm, chewed things--the lamp cord on her one venture into the living room, the strap on Denene's purse when she put it on the floor--foolish girl. You wouldn't think leather would have appealed to a bunny, though. Cook books which she managed to pull off the bookshelf; the dog's fur, much to the annoyance of the dog. Anything that fell on the floor was fair game, as far as Twit was concerned. But yes, she was still cute while she was being a bad bunny. And when she was good, she was even cuter. I miss cuddling with her while I watched TV late at night.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  07:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mmmm, chewed things--the dog's fur, much to the annoyance of the dog.
*snorts with laughter*

Did Twit just hop up to the dog and start munching on fur? Or am I just imagining things wrong?

Pip's vet visit went good, clean bill of health. They said he was good when they took him in the back to give him his shots, but he must have struggled a litte cause he's sore in certain spots.

*takes shot of espresso*

I need to stay awake for about another hour to go get my car radio re-installed.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - dobbygirl on 06/25/2006 08:00:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  15:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WistyWoo! Does our new home have its very own "furry little problem?" (In the words of James Potter and Remus Lupin)
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  15:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At present I have only virtual bunnies-- well and a lot of rabbit items around the house (that is probably an understatement). I was upset when Wisty died at three, but we had been nursing her for a while (she had broken her neck-- same place same time as Christopher Reeeve). Bun (our first bunny) had never been in good health from the day we got him. We didn't know what to look for in a breeder or a rabbit. He had malocluded teeth and the sniffles. So while his death wasn't unexpected, it was upsetting. Sniff on the other hand, was eight when she died of gastric problems. We could tell she was in pain. That was what made it so hard, I think. At least both Wisty and Sniff got to say good-bye.

Nowadays, with teaching [adorable Daughter] out in the Haven, shuttling to karate and tai chi, and Husband's office in a separate building, I feel we aren't inside enough to keep a bunny happy-- they are very social little creatures. It is also much easier to take two week holidays, or weekends away from home, too. Asking a neighbor to take care of the dogs is one thing. Nearly everyone can do that. A bunny is a different matter, though. So for now, at least, the rational side wins. Though every trip to the rabbit exhibit at the fair-- so many adorable little fuzzy faces and gentle brown eyes-- is so very tempting....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  15:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhán, is your daughter's name [adorable Daughter]? You really like your Irish names, eh?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  15:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.. what kind of bunny is your avatar? We got our rabbit (Thumper) from the preschool so we have no idea what kind she is and she's so averse to being handled that we've never taken her to the vets.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  17:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always thought "spottylop" looked like a good cross of Sniffer and Wisty (Little Sniff and Wisteria). They were both Holland Lops. "Spottylop" is the same colours as Sniffer, but has more the facial shape of Wisty who was black and white. Here are some pics:
www.clicketysticks.com

Bee, yes, we do like Irish names. Also Husband and I didn't want Daughter to find her name printed on a toothbrush or mini-coffee mug.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  18:07:01  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
Nowadays, with teaching Eilish out in the Haven, shuttling to karate and tai chi, and Husband's office in a separate building, I feel we aren't inside enough to keep a bunny happy-- they are very social little creatures. It is also much easier to take two week holidays, or weekends away from home, too. Asking a neighbor to take care of the dogs is one thing. Nearly everyone can do that. A bunny is a different matter, though. So for now, at least, the rational side wins.

We had guinea pigs for years, and I am torn the same way you are, Siobhan. Whenever I see one, I wish we could hear the oinking again. But keeping the cages clean, and getting someone to watch them when we're on vacation... So I guess they will remain fond memories. Instead, we have a poodle--and you really need to watch breeders on them also. My sister thought she was getting a teacup size puppy, and it is now a miniature--quite a lot bigger. I personally love the miniature size. Less yippy.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  18:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish someone would teach me how not to procrastinate. I've spent almost all day in front of the computer but have done the grand total of half an hour's work, and I only did that because I want to go to bed without feeling too guilty. I got so much done in that half-hour too. If I could expend that sort of effort all day, I'd be churning out stuff like a machine. I know it doesn't work like that though. But if I could even focus on something for a half-hour, and then take a short break, and then do another half-hour and so on instead of spending 10 hours on break only to finally break down and do 30 minutes work at 11pm out of sheer guilt. Bah.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  08:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't feel bad Bee, I'm the same way. I'll get these bursts of energy and ambition where I want to do everything all at once. Then there's most of my life where I can't seem to muster the ambition to do anything but play video games or surf the web.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  09:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The teacup poodle thing is one to watch. The AKC doesn't allow them. Which tells me two things. One, that they are not considered a "breed" because they have no reliable standard of conformation. Two, any breeder who claims they are breeding such a dog and doesn't inform the buyer (these dogs are quite expensive, no?) of such, is not being honest. It sounds like they are breeding smaller than usual toy poodles or selling what would be considered runts as a specialty.

We had no idea what to look for in a breeder when we got Bun. The first thing that went wrong was that the man told us Bun was a girl it was a good thing we had a generic name (we were slow to think of a good name and gave up then we discovered she was a he). Of course it took a while to figure that out. In the meanwhile the vet had discovered the problem with Bun's teeth and the case of Sniffles both of which were problems that resulted from poor breeding/keeping practices. That poor little guy had more problems, but was the bravest, sweetest bunny. The moral of that story is, never buy a bunny from a farm that advertises BUNNIES, Bait, rabbit meat all on the same sign.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AKC didn't recognize Jack Russell Terriers until the past few years. It wasn't until most other dog groups accepted the breed that they did. Even now you won't find the name, they've accepted the breed but changed the name to Parson Russell Terriers. They claim it the new name better represents the breed. I think it just confuses people. Most still call them Jack Russells anyway. The name thing is really confusing when you delve into it in more detail.

I've always been a fan of mutts. We have a pure breed now, but only because my sister gave it as a present and her mother-in-law is a JRT breeder (yes, a reputable one). In the past, our method of getting a dog was going to the pound. My method of getting a cat is usually asking around. I've never paid for a cat. Someone always has kittens to give away. My cousin recently paid $2,000 each for two egyptian breed cats. I can't see spending that much money on cats. If I had that much money to play with I could pay off my student loan, not buy animals.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.