New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  23:27:19  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You're as young as the person you feel. Which makes me a couple of years younger than I thought. OMG I'm a cradle-snatcher!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  07:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ex is 6 years younger than me, but Ruth is 2 years older.

So my motto is "you're as old as the person you feel feels"

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  11:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can buy kids' shoes in Germany, no problem. I've got a UK size 6, European 39/40, and in Germany you can easily find kids' shoes in a size 39/40. I should be able to buy kids' shoes in the UK too, but I haven't seen anything I liked so far.

I'm 39 on the 12th.

A market sweater is a sweater bought on the market for 5 quid. They are machine knitted in nylon, usually in pastels and greys, and often have silver or gold lurex bits in them. And they usually already have a bit that's been pulled into loops.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  12:23:59  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, you are all so much younger than I am. I turned 57 in September. I remember when I had my 50th birthday, I just felt so liberated. I enjoyed every minute of that year--and told people quite often how old I was. I still don't make a secret of my age.

But it's not really true anymore that I'm as young as I feel. It's more a matter of I'm as young as I think. The body is just not what it used to be. Weight gain that I really can't seem to get rid of; mild arthritis in both shoulders; aches and pains sometimes for no apparent reason--except my age.

However, on the plus side--no more periods for the last two+ years--. Because of that, I finally have nice skin, which I never had all my adult life. (The only drawback there is the hot flashes, which are sometimes very inconvenient, to say the least.) My hair is graying, and I like the look of it. Above mentioned weight gain does not prevent me from occasionally buying a shirt in the little boy's section of the store. And there was something about turning 50 (and the feeling still continues) that gave me a feeling of freedom to just say what I wanted. Instant wisdom didn't come with 50, but I think that I realized that I had finally lived long enough that I didn't have to keep all my thoughts to myself. I'm sure I overdid that for a while, but it still is a nice feeling that I won't get the--you're too young to know what you are talking about kind of look or response.

Oldest daughter and I were talking about attitude the other day, and mine decidedly improved when I entered my 50s; hubby's attitude has turned a bit stodgy. He's even noticed it--he once remarked that, "when you get older, you get more conservative". I muttered, "I haven't--speak for yourself."--but he ignored it.

I watched my mother try to hide her age all my life--and she looked much younger than she was, at least until she was in her late 70s. I just thought it was silly, and vowed to never do that. So I've enjoyed--or tried to enjoy--whatever age I've been. (Did not enjoy my 40s, but I think that was because my hormones were likely so out of whack that I was sometimes rather bizarre, and not in a good way.

So, Jo--enjoy your age and make the most of it.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 12/07/2006 12:28:09
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  13:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great advice, Eeyore. I'm in my 20's but sometimes people think I'm around 12-16. I don't drink alcoholic beverages that often, so I haven't been carded yet.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  14:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite bizarre in my 40s... but it's not the age, it's the person. And I like me this way.

Normalcy vs. Me

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  14:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel for you JKRiS. I was the same way. People treat you younger, too, because you look it. On top of that I'm the baby of the family, counting kids and grandkids on both sides so I don't think I'll ever grow out of being "the youngest".

I don't know what to get with my Christmas money. My dad gives money instead of presents so I already know how much I'm getting. Last year I bought a computer armoire because my old desk was falling apart. My instinct is to put it in savings, but I'm going to force myself to spend it. I want to get something practical and that I'll actually use. I'm thinking of a new mattress. It's been over 10 years since I've slept on a spring mattress so I'm a little leary about buying one. I slept on one last week and I just ached the next day. And memory foam mattresses are so expensive and I don't know if I'd like them. I do have a memory foam pillow that I love. It's hard as a rock and you head sinks down and the foam forms around it. Nobody else I know likes them. But I've heard the mattresses can retain a lot of heat and break down after a year or so. I still have a month to think about it. I probably should go and spend it all on clothing, but I don't really like cloths shopping.

I'm getting my hair cut on Saturday. I swore I wasn't going to cut it until February at the earliest, but it needs something done. I'm trying to grow it out, but it's baby fine and just limp. Right now it hits my shoulders. Last Christmas I got it cut really short. Who knows, I may just get it all cut off.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  14:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, do you sleep on a futon now? I like spring mattresses but I like them without box-springs because I like a firm bed. How old or new was the bed you slept so badly on?

Maybe you could send yourself on a fun weekend somewhere. Go visit an old friend or see a new city. I like frivolous gifts - I'd rather work for the practical stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  15:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I looked young for my age. People are always surprised when they find out my real age, then try to cover their arses by saying it's because I'm mature for my age. I'm not mature, just haggard. I don't particularly mind looking older, because I'm still pretty young. I just hope I'll stay looking this way for the next few years so my chronological age can catch up.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  16:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, yeah, I sleep on a futon mattress. I have a wooden bifold one that I use essentially as a platform bed. This one pretty much looks like mine only it's always down. http://www.allbeds.com/images/Futons/productpage/lehigh.jpgThe bed I slept on last week wasn't old, but it was in a guest room. I may just get a regular spring mattress sans the box springs since I don't need them. I, too, and not a huge fan of box springs. I love low platform beds, but that may be because I'm short to begin with and don't like being up high. My grandpap used to have a bed you could have used a ladder to get up on. He was only 5'5" and I have no idea how he got on it every night. He must have taken a running leap into bed every night.

I've also been thinking of getting a nice wooden chest to put all artsy supplies in. I'm forever buying Xacto knives because of losing them.

Maybe Santa will send me Professor Lupin for Christmas.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/07/2006 16:15:03
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  17:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We like a soft bed so we have a floatation mattress. Can't bear hard beds. When we went to Savannah in October we had a memory foam mattress. It was OK and was not hot (we expected it to retain heat)but was lovely to get back to our bed at home. My in laws have the Select Comfort mattress and they love it. It is not inexpensive, though.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  19:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a really comfy foam mattress from IKEA, on top of a slatted frame. I don't like sprung mattresses, they poke me in the hips too much.

Ruth's got a medium/high bed she built herself, with the same IKEA mattress as I have, but the slatted frame needs replacing, it does my back in.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  00:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a lovely hard-ish foam mattress (good quality) on wooden slats with a wooden frame. I adore my bed, it's the one piece of furniture I own which is semi-decent.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  00:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo, Myf has indecent furniture!

I like futons and I think I'd like the memory foam, as long as it's firm. I have a nice HUGE bed made of maple with slats supporting a standard mattress - we've had it for over 10 years and I think it's time for a new mattress. It's still comfortable but recently I've noticed some low / high spots and that's not good! We got the "do not disturb" type where the springs aren't attached to each other and it's amazing how well it works - you can move around and the other part of the bed stays still. When we travel and have to sleep on a normal mattress it's very irritating how the whole bed shakes every time the other person rolls over!

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  06:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am often mistaken for being younger than I am (I'll be 34 on Feb 15). I am getting carded less and less, and when I do, it's usually by someone older than me. It runs in my family, my grandfather didn't look his age until he had a stroke at the age of 80 and my mom looks much younger than her 58 years.

I got sick AGAIN!!!! It started last Sunday night with a slight fever, nausea, body aches; I thought I'd caught the flu. By Monday night I had searing pain in my right side and a high fever. I thought it might be my appendix so I went to the ER. I spent 6 hours there while they ran every test in the book only to find out it was just a really nasty kidney infection. They never did figure out why my side was hurting, but they gave me an anti-biotic for the infection and Vicodin for the pain (I liked the morphine in the hospital better). My fever finally broke on Thursday, but in return I have a lovely fat lip of a fever blister. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll be calling in sick to work today. I am feeling better, but I'm still really weak from fighting the fever.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  10:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I wish I looked young for my age. People are always surprised when they find out my real age, then try to cover their arses by saying it's because I'm mature for my age. I'm not mature, just haggard. I don't particularly mind looking older, because I'm still pretty young. I just hope I'll stay looking this way for the next few years so my chronological age can catch up.

I think you look young!

I just had my long hair cut off. I think I look much better without it. Do I look old? I feel a bit self-conscious being 30.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  11:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I got sick AGAIN!!!! It started last Sunday night with a slight fever, nausea, body aches; I thought I'd caught the flu. By Monday night I had searing pain in my right side and a high fever. I thought it might be my appendix so I went to the ER. I spent 6 hours there while they ran every test in the book only to find out it was just a really nasty kidney infection. They never did figure out why my side was hurting, but they gave me an anti-biotic for the infection and Vicodin for the pain (I liked the morphine in the hospital better). My fever finally broke on Thursday, but in return I have a lovely fat lip of a fever blister. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll be calling in sick to work today. I am feeling better, but I'm still really weak from fighting the fever.

Dobbygirl, go get a tube of Abreva. It's a bit expensive, IMO, (around $15-$20 for .07oz) but it is a miracle cure for fever blisters. I know where my tube is at all times. When I was 10, I was in the hospital for a week for kidney stones/kidney infection. It's so hard to describe the pain. I hope you get better.

Groundhog Day is on TBS. They're pulling Phil from his den. Someday I'll make it up to Punxy, but then I think how nuts those people are to spend all night in the freezing cold in February in PA. Not a fun thing to do.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  11:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, Dobbygirl ... that sounds awful. I've had to go to the ER in the middle of the night for that kind of infection because the pain was unbearable. I hope you are feeling all better soon.

I don't think I look that young, but I get carded often enough. I think it's because most people don't look very closely ... I'm fairly tall and slender and wear my hair long, so maybe that's why. My age shows mostly around my eyes when I smile -- lots of little crinkles. That's OK, though, I think of it as "character."
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  11:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've accepted the lots of little wrinkles around my eyes too, cos Ruth likes them!

Just rest, Dobbygirl. Just because you feel better doesn't mean it's completely out of your system.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  11:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am rather fond of "laughing" wrinkles. They are so much better than frowning ones.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  12:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call in sick, dobbygirl and GET BETTER!!!!!

I don't mind the laugh lines but the worry lines make me nuts. Mostly because it pisses me off that I've had to worry in the first place... I always planned on having a life that closely resembled an Elvis Presley movie. I'll bet Ann-Margaret never had worry lines.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  14:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any laugh lines or crow's feet, but I do have one huge wrinkle running vertical on my forehead. I've had it forever, but it still bothers me. My bangs cover it up, though. When I grew out my bangs I hardly ever got carded, now that I once again have bangs I'm back to looking like a teenager. Bangs really do make you look younger. I don't have them for that reason, just that I'm more comfortable with them than without them.

I think it's all genetics. My dad is 67 and can pass for early 50s. He always jokes and says he's 39. Even up into his late 50s people believed him. He didn't start going gray until his late 40s and the was just a tiny bit at the temples. My sister, on the other hand, takes after my mom and started going gray in her 20s. Right now I don't have any visible grays, but I don't go looking, either. Right now my hair is 100% chemical free. Periodically, I dye it auburn or dark brown, but I figure I'll keep my natural color until I need to dye it. Tomorrow it's getting chopped.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  14:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both my mother and my father are 53 but look much younger; early forties at most. My 80-year-old grandmother still has naturally blonde hair. Some things are just unfair.

I'm depressed.

I got back and finally got my results. Well, I knew I wasn't going to get a medal, so I wasn't surprised at the overall mark (a B, essentially), and was even pleasantly surprised when I read the front page of comments:

When you started work on this MS, I doubted whether it was possible to draw from it much in the way of dissertation materials. You have convincingly drawn the historical context and your document together and produced some real insights. Good use of your extensive secondary reading.

Not bad. I could live with that. Indeed I thought that was the end of it. Until I turned the page over and saw the second marker's comments:

The structure of the dissertation seems unbalanced, with an overemphasis on the historical context of the original document compared with the examination of the context and significance of the manuscript that is being transcribed. More discussion would have been appropriate concerning contemporary collecting and transcribing practices, especially of similar documents such as [X and Y] produced in this period. The editorial decisions for the transcription seem not to have fully come to terms with the dichotomy with the sixteenth century text and the seventeenth century copy. The analysis of the content is venturing into territory where [Diricawl] has clearly little experience and was perhaps ill-advised.

That last bit hurt. I love my advisor. Still, the comments are right on about a lot of things. I wish I'd had more time/put more effort into the piece so that I could have gone into the depth they wanted.

Edited by - diricawl on 12/08/2006 17:26:38
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  18:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch. Sorry Diri - criticism hurts, even when it's constructive.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  20:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about that, Diri.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  21:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ooh, Diri! I hate reading any comments from examiners - I'd rather find out my mark then walk away. OK, not so great for the self-improvement but good for the ego.

Still! You have your Masters! And that is a massive achievement all in itself. And given that the mark you got was decent, those criticisms have to be weighed against all the excellent work you've obviously done. Congratulations!

Sigh. My doctorate is NEVER GOING TO END. I have so many friends who started Masters after I started my doctorate, and every time someone graduates I feel horribly jealous. Oh well. I will have a Party to end all Parties when my thesis is finally submitted.

In other news, I had such a funny night last night. I went out with a friend for her 30th birthday, to a rooftop bar in town. Of course, it's the silly season and the weather has been brillliant so the place was packed. I'd been op-shopping at lunchtime yesterday and bought a brand-new, perfectly fitting Little Black Dress ($10) and some fantastic red suede high heels ($7). My hair at the moment is a sleek black bob (very 1920s) and I was wearing bright red lipstick. Anyway, I had three random women tell me how much they loved my hair, one person who said I was 'dramatic', one (female) friend of my friend who, when we were introduced, said "Oh, I was perving on you when you came in!" and one guy who walked up and said 'Is that your real hair? Or is it a wig?' I pulled a lock up and tugged at the roots until he believed me.

Anyway. It was all over just bizarre, but quite funny.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  21:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And Dobbygirl - ouch and get well soon! Please take a day or too off work (if you can) and get yourself healthy.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, post us a pic of the style or type. Is it with bangs/fringe or without? I've had just about every hairstyle imaginable. A bob is usually my best bet.

A friend won't let her little girl get her hair cut because the mother only likes long hair. She said her child will not have short hair until she's out of her house. Talk about obsessive. Naturally, her three year old wants short hair.

You guys will do great with your studies. Criticism is hard to take. When I student taught, I was evaluated on everything from grooming to teaching ability. You can't go into it with low self esteem. It was hard for me to be able to take my coop's and supervisor's advice and opinions without getting defensive on every little point. I still have trouble with it, but I try to learn from what's being said.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  22:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I just took this photo a second ago. Also, check out my fantastic bookshelves!

Edited by - Myf on 12/08/2006 22:21:57
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  22:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really love your hair. It's so chic. I wish I had dark hair. My brother had hair so dark it looked jet black and my sister was a dark brown auburn. And there I was a dirty blonde. I hated it. It's darkened to a medium brown over the years which I like better. Once I decided I wanted it a dark brown like my sister's natural color and it looked horrible on me. Thankfully it was semi-permanent and eventually washed out. I did learn from the experience that really dark hair does not look good on me. I have no idea how I'm getting it done tomorrow, but I do want heavier bangs.

Nice bookshelves.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.